PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making a ranger

Roth
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
This would be an alt but my main is only 36 so I don't have great means to twink or anything. I could gear this alt with some banded and decent starter weapons and maybe an alright bow. I know this class is considered "bad" so I need some clarification on some things. So, I have a few possible ideas on how to build this class but need some input:

Max dex and solo with only my bow... is this effective? I think this would be fun, maybe roll a half elf and just max dex and go for it. Has anyone tried this? My concern is I would be terrible in groups... but is bow dps viable? At level 60 and mid game can you do good bow dps if you max dex or is it significantly behind meelee?

Next option would be to just max ac and get no stats, basically full crafted or maybe truesilver armor from kaesora. This would make things fairly easy I think. I could tank for groups and be able to go head to head with mobs. But I wouldn't really be maximizing my potential in groups if im not tanking.

Third option would be to max strength and try to play the class "correctly", be great melee dps and throw out heals and utility with whatever mana I have available to me. I do this sometimes with my shaman and I think it would be fun to play this style on my ranger, using all my excess mana for heals or snares or some other useful ability. This would be sort of about maximizing my group potential.

Thoughts on all these? I also have a couple more questions: At 60 are rangers wanted for raids for reasons besides track? Even if it's just to collect ranger loot that's fine, I just want to know if somehow I get through all the bs and make it to 60 I'll be able to do something. Secondly, in raids do rangers ever use their bow to dps or is it only gonna be meeleing? You can also mention post velious since I know of the trueshot discipline vaguely. Lastly, I know rangers are not "wanted" in sebilis and other high end zones. But do they get groups? I mean, would someone accept a ranger into their party or is it basically no way in hell can you get a group?

This character will likely never hit 60 but I like the idea of playing a character I know is not pointless. Any input or opinions is appreciated. I don't care if the class is not good, I just want to know if it is even remotely viable in any situation.

lecompte
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
I know this class is considered "bad" so I need some clarification on some things.
It isn't, they're wrong.

Max dex and solo with only my bow... is this effective?
Damage is significantly less than melee, it is really slow to kill things this way, takes millions of arrows -- I think it gets better in velious. Melee is king.
Next option would be to just max ac and get no stats, basically full crafted or maybe truesilver armor from kaesora. This would make things fairly easy I think. I could tank for groups and be able to go head to head with mobs. But I wouldn't really be maximizing my potential in groups if im not tanking.

Ranger does well in three types of groups.
1) Max DPS group -- nothing is alive long enough to hurt you, and only a hybrid can secure the agro solid enough -- the mob gets to 50%, you have it snared and are off pulling the next thing as it tries to chase you down while getting ripped to shreds. Ranger tank, quad dps including enchanters w/ pet, cleric OR shaman
2) Duo w/ Shaman or Enchanter. With a shaman you tank slowed mobs, with enchanter you fear/snare kite. You chain pull cause enchanter pet will finish the mob.
3) Ranger is puller/DPS -- and ranger is solid dps when you splash in nukes. If you are in a solid group with plenty of DPS, a steady flow of mobs is the key to exp. I've been in groups where pulling was my ONLY job.

Third option would be to max strength and try to play the class "correctly", be great melee dps and throw out heals and utility with whatever mana I have available to me.
Do this :). Don't neglect those ranger nukes later.
At 60 are rangers wanted for raids for reasons besides track?Secondly, in raids do rangers ever use their bow to dps or is it only gonna be meeleing? Lastly, I know rangers are not "wanted" in sebilis and other high end zones. In raids, I melee, snare, cast resist fire and camo -- don't neglect the importance of ranger damage. For melee classes, it is Rogue -> Monk -> Ranger. I do not ranged dps in raids. Lastly, I've been a tank and dps in every camp in seb.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
lecompte is a good dude used to talk to him in vent all the time when I was guilded with him back in the day

he knows his stuff.

abbud
03-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Bow as dps is not viable.

You could be the last resort to group encounters - you gain almost no hp from sta, and you have less defensive caps on skills compared to a tank. But hey, you've got flame lick.

The only viable way FOR ME to play a ranger is to get a fungi and max your ac/str, then solo/duo. Silver swiftblade -> Woodsman's staff. Dont need no sta, agi, hp/mana or anything else in the beginning. Use mana only to heal on urself between mobs and mayb snare on the mob if he's running.

Groups will take you in if they feel sorry for you, even though your hybrid penalty is gonna be detrimental to the group. You will not make up for this by being a shitty ranger, your dps is way worse then a rogue.

You are considered a dps class on raids, you may assist with some snaring and sow.

Now, read between the lines - I play a ranger and I'm having a blast. But just be aware that tho they may be a versatile class, they gimp as f**k.

utenan
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Bow kiting works pretty well at lower levels if you do it right. Right now at 23 soloing stuff melee style usually leaves me pretty low and it can take a while to heal up but I can kite all day long. That said I keep my archery maxed and I can craft pretty good arrows, I have a good bow and Im killing in East Karana where there is a fletching vendor. But what's so great and fun about playing a ranger is that these kind of options are available to you.

Also the people who complain about hybrid penatlies usually have no idea how they work. It is equally detrimental to your experience to be grouped with someone a few levels higher than you as it is to be grouped with a hybrid.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
ive seen lecompte on par with lvl 60 monks with epic with his dps.

soooo hmmmmm

parsers dont lie dawg

Lune
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
It's a class I very much enjoy, but also one that is very flawed and at times challenging. Leveling up, I found sometimes it was hard to get groups with unfamiliar people, but once somebody grouped with me they would usually readily invite me back later on down the road. I always felt a strong responsibility to prove my worth as a competent puller, a strong dps, and a clutch snarer/support/CCer, because I knew I was one disappointed group from sitting LFG for hours.

Making friends and having good social bonds with your leveling cohort is perhaps more important for a ranger than anyone else. You aren't going to find very much success sitting LFG in Sebilis when pretty much every other DPS class is more desirable than you and all the groups are led by strangers. Make friends, bond with your guild, be an effective player, give them reasons to want to group with you besides just your class. This is especially important 54+.

P.S Lecompte sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure when you first started I met you in Unrest and made you a suit of banded :P

http://i.imgur.com/KPm41F3.jpg

abbud
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Also the people who complain about hybrid penatlies usually have no idea how they work. It is equally detrimental to your experience to be grouped with someone a few levels higher than you as it is to be grouped with a hybrid.

It'd have to be 3 levels to compare it to a hybrid.

http://puu.sh/7tVdd.png

But what happens if the hybrid is higher, sir?

http://puu.sh/7tVkN.png

That makes my wood elf warrior cringe. Atleast now we all know how it works!

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:54 PM
It makes me cringe that you made a wood elf warrior

lecompte
03-13-2014, 02:03 PM
P.S Lecompte sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure when you first started I met you in Unrest and made you a suit of banded :P

Don't think so. I never wore banded and my start date is quite a bit before yours (going on date you joined the forums).

ive seen lecompte on par with lvl 60 monks with epic with his dps.

soooo hmmmmm

parsers dont lie dawg

Ranger DPS RAWRRRRRRR.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 02:10 PM
And TRACK is the best skill on EQ. Always can find merbs to kill, or those rare spawns.

utenan
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM
It'd have to be 3 levels to compare it to a hybrid.

http://puu.sh/7tVdd.png

But what happens if the hybrid is higher, sir?

http://puu.sh/7tVkN.png

That makes my wood elf warrior cringe. Atleast now we all know how it works!

In theory you should just group with people who have the same experience totals as you do then it wont be a problem, but I've personally never cared about such things!

lecompte
03-13-2014, 03:53 PM
People are either awesome, or they aren't -- exp penalty has nothing to do with it ;p

sox7d
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Makes me cringe that you think that's cringe-worthy.

ElricX
03-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Rangers played well are memorable and group friendly. Weather it be a timely snare, snap agro off a healer/debuffer/over zealous nuker, or tracking your favorite beast. Despite the negativity that others throw down in some of these forums, the DPS is nothing to scoff at.

fadetree
03-13-2014, 07:17 PM
I love playing rangers, they are always my mains. It takes persistence and skill. Also takes a thick skin. As was mentioned above, peeling from casters and root parking CC is always beneficial. Rangers also can pull extremely well outside and in 'dungeons' like karnors and CoM, and when Velious hits, Kael. You are going to have to be proactive if you want grouping though, you aren't going to get a lot in the end game if you just stand around lfg.

Cecily
03-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Best looking characters for the up front on the stage role in a raid. Makes sense.