PDA

View Full Version : Most independent, least independent on gear, but group useful classes?

NirrtiXXX
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AS a new, poor player I am trying to find one I think I would enjoy that fits these bills... (other than enchanter)

falkun
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Most dependent on gear will be anyone taking hits - higher AC/HP will make you take fewer hits and survive those hits longer.

Least gear dependent are casters, since FT and focus effects do not exist yet.

Rough gear dependency: Tank > melee DPS > enc > cleric > shaman > spell DPS.

myriverse
03-12-2014, 03:37 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

NirrtiXXX
03-12-2014, 03:39 PM
myriverse well this is why I ask what she (the guide) says contradicts what other players have said... she says shaman are overpowered most say they are not unless twinked... to me overpowered means they are powerful no matter what.

I guess the other question is which classes are not wanted in groups (so I know to avoid them)

falkun
03-12-2014, 03:43 PM
That's your definition. A naked shaman will still bring more to the group than a magician (the magician might edge out with rare-as-hell epic).

Teppler
03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Necro 1000% Any other answer is wrong. :D

NirrtiXXX
03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
I am just gonna roll an iksar shaman... if i do not like that an iksar necro.... LOL

I hope those are good ideas....

baalzy
03-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Warriors will be the most gear dependent, they need the gear to survive and they need the weapons to hold hate. SK/PAL are less dependent because they can hold the hate just fine naked.

Rogues would be the next most gear dependent as that is what gives them their DPS. A rogue can still DPS with crap gear, it just won't be as good.

Monk would be the next most gear dependent after that. They can do a lot with cruddy gear, but they can do even more with great gear.

Mage/Necro are the least gear dependent. CoS gives necros some extra tricks they can do and adds to their survivability, but their actual power isn't affected by it. Same with Mage, although having a few root nets to save their butts is a definite plus. They do also have focus items that are readily obtainable, htough they don't "depend" on them.

Enchanters have a fairly low gear requirement. CHA gear is cheap and is the only thing that will boost their ability to perform in a group, but they're always welcome in groups. They're good soloers when/if they want.

Shaman are powerful naked. Shaman are overpowered when properly geared. Shaman will always be welcome in a group for buffs & slows & support heals. They're capable solo'ers when/if they want to be.

Clerics are also not really gear dependent. Bigger mana pools gives them buffer room for a bad pull. AC/HP gives them the ability to survive hits if they're being wailed on, but no amount of gear will make their heals perform any better.

thieros
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Mage/Necro are the least gear dependent. CoS gives necros some extra tricks they can do and adds to their survivability, but their actual power isn't affected by it. Same with Mage, although having a few root nets to save their butts is a definite plus. They do also have focus items that are readily obtainable, htough they don't "depend" on them.

Shaman are powerful naked. Shaman are overpowered when properly geared. Shaman will always be welcome in a group for buffs & slows & support heals. They're capable solo'ers when/if they want to be.

this

Tankdan
03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Magician.. Also appears to be one of the least played classes here.

baalzy
03-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Magician.. Also appears to be one of the least played classes here.

Thats cause they're so dependent on their pets, and their pets don't tank like they should (also don't cast like they should, but the hate generation is the bigger issue).

Necros just cast fear and then their pet holding aggro doesn't matter as much (while xp'ing, super annoying when trying to farm greens with a pet and they won't hold hate).

webrunner5
03-13-2014, 12:13 AM
The pet nerf just totally screwed Mages. No way you can do 51% or more damage than the pet. And chain casting them is NOT an option. On here you get weak pets and strong pets. Might take 10 casts to get a good one. Then you buff it and equip it. Not really going to just delete it for the hell of it. Playing a Mage on here sucks now compared to what it did. Not counting Pet agro issues like has been said.

Mine had been parked for a LONG time.

Tankdan
03-13-2014, 01:13 AM
The pet nerf just totally screwed Mages. No way you can do 51% or more damage than the pet. And chain casting them is NOT an option. On here you get weak pets and strong pets. Might take 10 casts to get a good one. Then you buff it and equip it. Not really going to just delete it for the hell of it. Playing a Mage on here sucks now compared to what it did. Not counting Pet agro issues like has been said.

Yeah that 51% crap really turned me away and mage is my favorite class. I have half a dozen level 100 mages on Live lmao.

Netherzul
03-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Most / least gear dependent (imo) in order ...

War > Monk > Rogue > Ranger > Paladin / SK > Shaman > Cleric > Druid > Cloth Casters

A Rogue with an epic will move behind a Ranger or even a Paladin / SK in terms of gear dependency as a majority of Rogue DPS comes from backstab (Ragebringer).

Shamans are successful geared or ungeared. With that being said, like a previous poster, a geared Shaman is extremely powerful.

Clark
03-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Shaman / Enchanter / Magician / Wizard / Monk / Cleric

Ganjar
03-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I say warrior at lvl 28 i am the most useless mother fekker in da game!!!! I rven got a sash of dragonborn and. 70K wirth of gear. He is worthless char , but god awful fun

Hodge
03-13-2014, 09:35 PM
play a necro. they need no gear ans are OP and easy to level

Juevento
03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
a majority of Rogue DPS comes from backstab (Ragebringer).

nope

Byrjun
03-13-2014, 11:39 PM
myriverse well this is why I ask what she (the guide) says contradicts what other players have said... she says shaman are overpowered most say they are not unless twinked... to me overpowered means they are powerful no matter what.

Well... that guide is most likely written from the perspective of level 60. Let's be honest here, until the very highest levels, shamans are pretty shit. They can mitigate this better than most classes with twink gear, since their gear options are pretty good (fungi, poison wind censor, JBB, etc).

At 60 with full spells a shaman can solo better naked than other classes can with full BIS gear. And since gear generally makes a bigger difference for shamans than other casters, once you gear out your level 60 shaman in BIS... yeah, that's when the overpowered label comes in.

Honestly I think enchanter is the closest answer to your question, but you said other than an enchanter. Charisma and int gear is cheap, they bring a ridiculous amount of power to groups when played correctly, and can solo with the best of them.

Shamans are similar but are slightly more dependent on more expensive gear, and their power curve is more like a cliff while enchanters ramp fairly evenly.

Past that we're starting to consider things like necromancers, which are much less wanted in groups even though a well played necromancer can bring quite a bit.

I guess bard could also be an answer. Some groups try to avoid them because of the hybrid penalty and the fact that some bards are pretty awful. But if an enchanter can't be found, most groups will invite a bard. Ignoring the epic, playing a bard is a lot more about personal skill than gear.

Laugher
03-14-2014, 12:55 AM
I felt like druid was a good first choice- until probably 39ish when clrs get ch you can ge away with playing mh np, solo ability is good, money is great and of course sow is always a plus before you can afford jboots.

I wouldnt recommend making a druid exclusively for the money, but its certainly a class that can make plat outta thin air+2 mins (porting), giving you the money to get a good start as another class

Akuma
03-14-2014, 05:20 AM
I felt like druid was a good first choice- until probably 39ish when clrs get ch you can ge away with playing mh np, solo ability is good, money is great and of course sow is always a plus before you can afford jboots.

I wouldnt recommend making a druid exclusively for the money, but its certainly a class that can make plat outta thin air+2 mins (porting), giving you the money to get a good start as another class

Thanks for the tip mate. Was trying to put together what would be a good class to roll up first and figuring in ways to make money a druid is a great one being able to port people :-). How much do you usually charge per fee?

Frug
03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
The amount of anguish by the OP in selecting a character as evidenced by the sheer number of different posts all basically asking the same question is astounding to me.

Frug
03-14-2014, 08:24 AM

I don't have one (but I played on on live post POP up to about 50), but what makes chain casting no longer viable; the weak/strong thing?

Akuma
03-14-2014, 08:52 AM
:cool:The amount of anguish by the OP in selecting a character as evidenced by the sheer number of different posts all basically asking the same question is astounding to me.

I was like "lol wut?" seeing all his different threads. :)