PDA

View Full Version : Multi-boxing rule question

Frug
03-10-2014, 04:36 PM
I have no intention of breaking, bending, nor trying to get around the "no boxing" rule, nor do I want to whine about it; your server, your rules which is fine.

My question is simply, why does this rule exist? Was it ever allowed and abused, or to enforce grouping, or something else?

Again - I'm 100% fine with the rule as it stands, and am merely curious from a historical perspective.

Thanks!

JayN
03-10-2014, 04:44 PM
it was when box first opened to promote people playing here also when it was known as winters roar server

lecompte
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Only one character was meant/could play at a time in EQ original

Brooks2728
03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Its because EQ (Live) had a subscription fee for each account, which limited the amount of players who would actually own more than one account. On P99 accounts are free and thus if allowed everyone would be making 6 accounts and 2 - 6 boxing everything. The end result would be everyone playing by themselves and not with each other. The community would be horrible.

Edit: not to mention, if every worthwhile camp only took 1 physical person to camp (1 person playing 6 characters) everything would be perma camped. The game would be horrible.

Frug
03-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Its because EQ (Live) had a subscription fee for each account, which limited the amount of players who would actually own more than one account. On P99 accounts are free and thus if allowed everyone would be making 6 accounts and 2 - 6 boxing everything. The end result would be everyone playing by themselves and not with each other. The community would be horrible.

Ah, I get it. Thanks.

Rec
03-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Because people are anti social you know whats

Thulack
03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Only one character was meant/could play at a time in EQ original

i 2boxed in 2000. Had 2 pc's right next to each other. Usually it was my mom and stepdad that were playing together but when they werent usually someone was boxing another toon in my house.

lecompte
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Fair enough.

Vindor
03-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Edit: not to mention, if every worthwhile camp only took 1 physical person to camp (1 person playing 6 characters) everything would be perma camped. The game would be horrible.

I tried to make this point a while back on a pantheon related site and got godwined as nazi like discrimination against multi boxer :eek:

Swish
03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
As a point of reference there's people who 12 box (or more) on The Hidden Forest.

Just imagine people 6-boxing here... would you want to play with an online community that just solo'd like that?

drktmplr12
03-11-2014, 10:33 AM
I've seen people boxing 2 warriors, 2 clerics, and 8 wizards on THF. Ridiculous.

Lol that server was fun though.. I made a mage, warrior, and cleric. Leveling the 3 of them earned me around 50k plat... I used that to buy the mage's tier 8 pet. Pet was quadding for like 800. You could donate for a staff that would make him quad for 1600 instead... Anyways, farming AAs was pretty easy at that point. And it was a pretty lonely game.

Raavak
03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I 6-boxed EZ server like most everyone. It was fun for a week or so, but yeah, lonely.

Daldaen
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Could limit to 2 boxing. Then I could res myself and buff myself and port myself and not have to worry about bothering other people again.

Archestratie
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
i 2boxed in 2000. Had 2 pc's right next to each other. Usually it was my mom and stepdad that were playing together but when they werent usually someone was boxing another toon in my house.

So did I. So did my roommate in college (had 4 computers in the room). So did half the people I knew back then. To say that boxing wasn't classic is a lie. But I'm totally cool with the rule because it does ruin the community and the server. So while it's a little strange, I support it 100%.

Raavak
03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Could limit to 2 boxing. Then I could res myself and buff myself and port myself and not have to worry about bothering other people again.They want you to bother people :P Just not me! (jk)

August
03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
it was when box first opened to promote people playing here also when it was known as winters roar server

Wow, I had no idea that this was Winter's Roar. I remember hearing about that EMU way back when and was like maybe I should try it out. Then I went to SoD instead, maybe because WR went down? Fuzzy memory.

nilbog
03-11-2014, 01:32 PM
This is not and never was winter's roar. I'm pretty sure that server was around back in 2003. I started this project in early 2008.

August
03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
This is not and never was winter's roar. I'm pretty sure that server was around back in 2003. I started this project in early 2008.

Noted. That makes sense because I started EMU'ing after The Sleeper server, which would have been late 2006. I looked up WR then and decided on SoD instead.

myriverse
03-11-2014, 03:22 PM
So did I. So did my roommate in college (had 4 computers in the room). So did half the people I knew back then. To say that boxing wasn't classic is a lie. But I'm totally cool with the rule because it does ruin the community and the server. So while it's a little strange, I support it 100%.
Pretty much. We used to tease our guild leader about his "strike force" even before Luclin.

Orruar
03-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I 2 boxed back in 2001. My brother's room was about 30 feet away and I had to run over there each time I wanted to cast a spell or move him. Thank god he played a cleric and I only needed a ch every couple minutes.

Clark
03-12-2014, 03:36 AM

webrunner5
03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I 6 boxed for years on live with one computer. The computer was a beast. But it is really not that hard to do once you get used to it.

Sony loved me accounts wise. I paid for my sons accounts at the time also. We had 13 accounts all together. Hey it was a hobby. :eek:

Galelor
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Winter's Roar was the precursor for the eq emu Shards of Dalaya.

baalzy
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
I started dual boxing live during PoP. Knew a guy who would 5 box but had 6 lvl 65s on seperate accounts. Started an ogre SK and boxed his druid to PL myself with. I also boxed the heck out of FFXI later when I took over a whitemage/blackmage account of an inactive guildmate. It made grouping in FFXI so much easier because our group was guaranteed to have a healer.

I'd probably 2 box here if it were allowed, the benefits are amazing. That said, I can see why it's not allowed. It's not like it takes much effort to be part of a CH chain with the proper macros setup. The raid scene would just be silly.

Menaan
03-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I started 2 boxing in 99. I never really considered it to impact my social play though. If there were people to group with I still grouped. If another person needed the spot of my box, the box got dropped and supported from outside the group or logged.

Heck if p99 wanted to implement something that said you can box a 2nd account if you pay us 15 a month I'd probably jump on it. The cost isn't a deterrent for me. Having a box makes the game more enjoyable for me But I follow the rules as they are on the server because even without a box p99 is more enjoyable than live.

Yonkec
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM

This server would be absolutely ruined if multiboxing was allowed, camps are crowded enough as is. But dont ever think that the subscription fee dissuaded anyone from having 6 accounts. Live servers and their increasing subscription fees never stopped most players. The people who could not afford an entire bot farm could always just snag their friends toon when they were at work/school/speed induced sleep coma's anyway.

The real issue lied in macroquest or whatever, when people would code up an entire party of bots to follow them and react accordingly. That was both quite impressive and socially pathetic all in one!

Gadwen
03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
When I 2 boxed on live it never stopped me from grouping, in the post PoP days I pretty much always had a buff bot hanging around that would keep our group buffed and kicking ass. If anything I would say it helped get the groups going, when a healer/tank wasn't around we didn't have to sit there and just hope one would go LFG, we could fight and have the buff bot keep us alive.

Voland
03-12-2014, 04:00 PM
There was a 6-boxing enchanter on EQMAC, she would have 5 chars following her, all cloaked in Froglok illusion and with names like Enchanted, Bedazzled, Mesmerized, etc.

When she was buffing im POK, frogloks would stand behind her like an honor guard...
it was quite a sight!

Akuma
03-14-2014, 04:19 AM
As a point of reference there's people who 12 box (or more) on The Hidden Forest.

Just imagine people 6-boxing here... would you want to play with an online community that just solo'd like that?

Heck no. I play these games TO BE social & interact with others. Why playing it alone all the time would really suck.