PDA

View Full Version : paladin or ranger

fishingme
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey, I'm curious about the pros/cons of choosing a paladin or ranger. I've heard good things about both and played both on live not to a high lvl and I've got an urge for a melee. I've read some decent things about ranger damage. I enjoy the idea of paladin sword and board with plate armor, but I also incredibly enjoy the idea of the dual weild with the ranger, just I'm in need of a little help weighing my options. Would like this thread to stay on topic, none of the normal "ill never invite so and so to a group" or "xp penalty is terrible" etc.

Rhambuk
03-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Ranger, more utility more dps better tank more desired by druo's groups raids.

paladins should be deleted from the server.

you're welcome.

rangers are gonna dps, paladins gonna tank. really depends on the role you want to fill.

if you make a ranger have thick skin because you will get a lot of flack. most of it is just joking but it gets real old hearing the rangers suck joke 10000000000x

fishingme
03-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Ranger, more utility more dps better tank more desired by druo's groups raids.

paladins should be deleted from the server.

you're welcome

How would the ranger compare in dps to a warrior?

Rhambuk
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
pretty similarly i believe, both are gonna rely on melee/kick for dps (rangers spells don't really add much its almost a loss of dps to stop meleeing and cast but that was pre 50 for me)

wars get crits which is huge and a better weapon selection in my opinion, i like to 2h on my ranger but theres maybe 1 decent 2h in game for ranger.

fishingme
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
pretty similarly i believe, both are gonna rely on melee/kick for dps (rangers spells don't really add much its almost a loss of dps to stop meleeing and cast but that was pre 50 for me)

wars get crits which is huge and a better weapon selection in my opinion, i like to 2h on my ranger but theres maybe 1 decent 2h in game for ranger.

I was thinking of buying multiple weapon sets for the ranger. But I wanted to try a high dex suit so I could play with yaks. I have fond memories of yaks, and really like the graphic effects from them proccing.

Ugrask
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Id stick with 2h after 20. As you wont have the money for amazing weapons.

You can get a swiftwind very cheap, and its 16/24 2h, or can try for this.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Springwood_Stave

Which should tide you over...since I doubt you'll be affording a Woodsman Staff.

williestargell
03-07-2014, 12:35 PM
The answer to these questions is always that it boils down to personal preference. These two have a larger gap between their intended uses than alot of class comparisons. One is primarily a tank and secondarily a healer, the other is melee DPS plus utility. Which combo are you looking for.

Both rangers and paladins get a bad rap due to the hybrid exp penalty but they are both good classes. The hybrid penalty goes away for both in velious so both will be more popular in groups.

People that think Paladins suck just don't "like" what paladins have to offer. Paladins are THE BEST tank for a group. They are good off-tanks on raids, they are good raid main tanks for mobs that don't require a warrior disc to tank. They are average healers at high level. Their DPS is practically non-existant. Paladins don't get anything earth-shakingly new in Velious but the things they have now will be more appreciated.

Rangers have pretty good dps. Their spells add more dps than they are given credit for, especially if they equip a 2hander. They can solo better than most other melee classes. They can tank in a group in a pinch. They get discs in velious that are very valuable. Bow disc that will give great burst dps. Weaponshield that is used alot.

lecompte
03-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Ranger: Better DPS than a warrior, can pull things, sow, snare.

Paladin: Can... Use LoH which isn't even a CH and emergency tank raids. Gets group easier than rangers for their tanking ability. Root

baalzy
03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of a ranger.

Infact, I've got a lvl 1 parked in Sebilis right now (took me about 9 tries to get from FV to TT lake where I met up with some people who were farming keys, stopped and MQ'd the HS key on my way).

One of these days I'll find someone to COTH me to the appropriate places where I can loot:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Wind_Saber
and
http://wiki.project1999.com/Fayguard_Bladecatcher

Then its onward to HS to get a:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Fayguard_Parrying_Dagger

Then, and only then, will I start to level it up.