PDA

View Full Version : FULL PET TEAM ASSSEMBLEEEEEEEEE

duneadx
03-07-2014, 12:28 AM
I have touched on the idea before, asked the community, and finally have some down time to give this a shot....

I am trying to assemble a static full pet class group. The idea is exactly as it sounds, a full group of mages (or necros) leveling from newbs to the highest level possible with that group makeup. I have often wondered while playing P99 how effective 6 mages would be, along with 6 pets, at curbstomping whatever NPCs they would be facing at that appropriate level. Picture this, 6 casters worth of nukes at once, and 6 melee NPC pets all converging on 1 poor soul at once. Even if one of the pets were to die, there would be 5 more in tow, ready to pick up the mob. I would like to put this to the test.

What I am looking for:
If you are someone who wanted to level a mage but never got around to it, or just someone who is bored and wanting something to do to pass the time before velious, then this may be the opportunity for you. I am looking to form a static group that will meet a couple times a week (potentially more) to spend a few hours putting this group makeup to the test. If we can gather 6 people together for this, we could potentially have something here.

Please note that I am on EASTERN timezone, so my preferred meeting times will most likely fall into the early evening hours.

If you feel like this would interest you, reply to this thread and let me know your ideas. Thanks for reading!

Update: 3/7/2014
Well the turnout on this group looks pretty promising!

I am trying to do a window of about 2 sessions during the weekdays, and 1 sunday night if at all possible, roughly 10pm to 12am. Remember, this is something that really doesn't require too much effort, and that is kind of the whole idea. Shouldn't have to cost you any plat (unless you want it to) and should be a moderately laid back experience, while having fun at the same time, and building up a nice fun alt of yours to play in your spare time.

The class composition is still up in the air, but would really like for it to stick to at least 4 pet classes, and if possible, more.

If you are interested, please drop me a PM. (Also you can reach me on any of the chars in my sig)

Update:3/9/2014
Currently we have 3 very committed players who are able to adhere to the schedule and are actively looking for 3 more. Please let me know if this is something that interests you and we can work through the logistics in order to make it happen.

UPDATE: 3/10/2014
We have 5 people folks! Just need one more friendly person to fill the 6th slot and we can start. Please remember to PM if interested!

Update: 3/19/2014
Couple people fell through, but we have already put this group together a few times now and have REALLY been killing it. PST if interested! Meeting t/w/tr nights from 10pm-12am

Clark
03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Fun idea I've seen about 4 Magicians together on Rallos Zek live pvp. Interested to see how a full group of them would do pve.

Swish
03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Fun idea I've seen about 4 Magicians together on Rallos Zek live pvp. Interested to see how a full group of them would do pve.

Were they boxed on RZ?

You guys need a necro to help with heals/possibly snares, if any would be needed that is...otherwise the sheer damage probably pushes a necro to the side :p

Clark
03-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Don't believe so. Two magicians + one necro was very common there too.

Teppler
03-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I had a team of 4 necros, an enchanter and shaman in howling stones once. The DPS was out of this world.

bktroost
03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Just be careful to manage nuke aggro V.S. Pet aggro. It's a very workable idea, in fact if you get 20 mages you can kill just about any single raid mob. When Valiant Companion comes out in Velious I fully expect to see a party of mages taking down dragons.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Iirc there is a classic bug report in submission queue to limit the number of pets that can be attacking a mob at a single time. Believe the number is 4 meaning any additional pets will stand there with their thumb up their ass.

Juhstin
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
What about druids for this group? they can charm for a pet

diplo
03-07-2014, 10:38 AM
VD used to have a mage club and we were running shit.

Nytch
03-07-2014, 10:54 AM
To get full XP for the group you would only have to pull with your lvl 1 nuke and let your pets rip the mob up. Is it true only 4 pets at a time? I would imagine anything of 2 necros for this group would be a waste since you cant stack dots on mobs. but having a couple people who could spot heal would be very helpful.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
To get full XP for the group you would only have to pull with your lvl 1 nuke and let your pets rip the mob up. Is it true only 4 pets at a time? I would imagine anything of 2 necros for this group would be a waste since you cant stack dots on mobs. but having a couple people who could spot heal would be very helpful.

Don't need to do any damage other than pets to get full xp in a group.

Swish
03-07-2014, 12:41 PM
...having a couple people who could spot heal would be very helpful.

Shammies would work well, they're a pet class too later on :)

RAGN
03-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Howdy, I'm new(started 3 days ago). I have a level 9 Mage ATM. Send me tell in game ((Maladark)).

Nytch
03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Don't need to do any damage other than pets to get full xp in a group.

I thought a PC had to do at least 1 point of damage in a group to not have the pet suck XP.....

Nytch
03-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Shammies would work well, they're a pet class too later on :)

You could make the argument for druids too, they get a bear pet in Velious......terrible pet but a pet none the less.

Sarajo
03-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I thought a PC had to do at least 1 point of damage in a group to not have the pet suck XP.....

This was the old solo mechanic.
Old Solo: Player must do 1 point of damage or pet will take 50% of XP.
New Solo: Player must do >50% of damage or pet will take 50% of XP.
New Group: Pet (charmed or summoned) can do 100% of damage with no effect on XP.
Post-2002: Player/group must do >= 1 point of damage or the game will eat 75% of XP (this won't be implemented on p99)

As far as OP's idea: I played as a necro with a mage partner 1-10, but I was terribly bored, and the mage seems to have committed EQ suicide. I didn't know Da Rules back then, so we always threw in a nuke, but pets can't hold aggro at wee levels so stuff was always chasing the two of us around (and our pets were always chasing stuff around). Hope your experience is a better use of time and you get to 60 lickety split!

Juhstin
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Pets take 50% xp if they do the most damage I believe.

baalzy
03-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I think i'd prefer to have 2 necros +4 mages vs 1necro +5 mages. Definitely want at least 1 necro though.

Necro nuking power is non-trivial with velious. Shock of Poison does 160 dmg and we get at level 24, mage max nuke is 176 for that circle of spells. Torbas Acid Blast at lvl 34 (once velious launches) is 220 damage (mage is 333 with a bolt, 280 with a regular nuke). Ignite/incinerate bones at 44 is 500-600 dmg, mage max nuke is 600 at this level. No pure nuke upgrades (dmg wise) beyond that for a necro, but its still pretty solid. Our lifetaps do good damage too (just aren't the most mana efficient for pure damage purposes). You wouldn't be DoTing most mobs anyways, unless you're taking on Reds.

Having necros to share root/heal/mez/twitch/snare duties as well as being able to stagger DoTs (on the mobs that would live long enough) so they don't take as much aggro.

Hopefully pet taunt gets fixed to the point where 4 person pet parties are viable. I haven't had a chance to get into velious beta & fight anything yet (last time I logged in I couldn't summon any pets due to a bug) but Haynar says that he made aggro changes to pets in the beta....

Lamil
03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't two earth pets help for aggro?

Calibix
03-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I remember seeing 6 mages slaved to one keyboard on Fippy progression server. It was pretty amusing, but pretty annoying when they were killing what you wanted.

baalzy
03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't two earth pets help for aggro?

Theoretically. But mage pet spells are borked on this server. Instead of firing them off ever 6-10 seconds (12-15 if using air) they're firing them off like 2-3 times a minute(20-30 second delay). Earth pet root only lasts 3 ticks max so in order to reliably perma root you'd need at least 3. Much better if their aggro just gets fixed then you can use the better DPS water/fire pets for most cases.

duneadx
03-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Well first I need to figure out if we are 100% sure if pets attacking a single npc caps at 4. In the case of a full raid, how do 4+ people consisting of pet classes function? Do they just wait in a queue by order of which player clicked attack first?

And my final question: If pets do indeed cap at 4, assuming necros or a necro is already included in the mix, what would the ideal composition be?

Thanks in advance!

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
maybe 5 + 1 chanter and id be down :)

eqgoose
03-07-2014, 05:41 PM
I'd be up for 4 Mages + 1 Necro + 1 Ench! Have always wanted to do a dedicated group like this, just hard finding folks that can get on a similar schedule and all agree to play when everyone else is playing :)

Also, due to every additional player you add making it that much harder to coordinate, as well as being much less efficient experience wise (won't have enough mobs), I'd also be up for a pet class trio instead. Ench/Mage/Necro or Ench/Ench/Ench :)

I'm available and consistently online in the evenings/weekends 8pm-12am PST

Makes
03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot can play necro or mage. I'm on EST here so should be able to make it a few days a week.

a_gnoll_pup
03-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I'd be down for a 6 pet class group. Sounds hilarious.

baalzy
03-07-2014, 06:56 PM
If I had the time to dedicate to it I'd be in to play a mage in a pet-class only guild.

Someone should totally make a guild and name it 'Zoo Keepers of Norrath', only allowing Enchanters/Necromancers/Mages/Shaman(once they're 34+) into it.

Or maybe the 'Norrathian Kennel Club' or 'WestCommons Kennel Club'

duneadx
03-07-2014, 07:51 PM

I am trying to do a window of about 2 sessions during the weekdays, and 1 sunday night if at all possible, roughly 10pm to 12am. Remember, this is something that really doesn't require too much effort, and that is kind of the whole idea. Shouldn't have to cost you any plat (unless you want it to) and should be a moderately laid back experience, while having fun at the same time, and building up a nice fun alt of yours to play in your spare time.

The class composition is still up in the air, but would really like for it to stick to at least 4 pet classes, and if possible, more.

If you are interested, please drop me a PM. (Also you can reach me on any of the chars in my sig)

Nytch
03-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Did we figure out about the 4 pet max?

Tankdan
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I remember doing this in EQ during Velious expansion, but my memory ends there, I cannot remember what zone we did.

baalzy
03-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Did we figure out about the 4 pet max?

afaik there isn't a pet limit at the present time. However, it seems like something which Nilbog is planning to implement soon.

webrunner5
03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
6 pets is NOT a good idea. I was in a group on P1999 3 years ago in CB and we had 6 mages playing in the same group. Was fun for about 5 minutes until we killed every mob in there and we sat on our asses forever waiting till they re spawned. Half the group wanted to quit and go solo. It ended badly.

So it was not really as much fun as it sounds. Sort of like playing a Wizard. Yawn.

Xer0
03-08-2014, 08:57 AM
I have touched on the idea before, asked the community, and finally have some down time to give this a shot....

I am trying to assemble a static full pet class group. The idea is exactly as it sounds, a full group of mages (or necros) leveling from newbs to the highest level possible with that group makeup. I have often wondered while playing P99 how effective 6 mages would be, along with 6 pets, at curbstomping whatever NPCs they would be facing at that appropriate level. Picture this, 6 casters worth of nukes at once, and 6 melee NPC pets all converging on 1 poor soul at once. Even if one of the pets were to die, there would be 5 more in tow, ready to pick up the mob. I would like to put this to the test.

What I am looking for:
If you are someone who wanted to level a mage but never got around to it, or just someone who is bored and wanting something to do to pass the time before velious, then this may be the opportunity for you. I am looking to form a static group that will meet a couple times a week (potentially more) to spend a few hours putting this group makeup to the test. If we can gather 6 people together for this, we could potentially have something here.

Please note that I am on EASTERN timezone, so my preferred meeting times will most likely fall into the early evening hours.

If you feel like this would interest you, reply to this thread and let me know your ideas. Thanks for reading!

Update: 3/7/2014

In the interest of keeping it like a real party you should go SK, necro, mage, enchanter. Then when you guys get high enough that shaman and druids will have pets (druids get a wolf pet don't they?) enlist one of each for heals/buffs/debuffs respectively.

duneadx
03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
In the interest of keeping it like a real party you should go SK, necro, mage, enchanter. Then when you guys get high enough that shaman and druids will have pets (druids get a wolf pet don't they?) enlist one of each for heals/buffs/debuffs respectively.

I can appreciate that idea, but we really are trying to do a fully functioning pet group, and if we start to change around the composition, then the whole point is kinda lost :\

Currently we have 3 very committed players who are able to adhere to the schedule and are actively looking for 3 more. Please let me know if this is something that interests you and we can work through the logistics in order to make it happen.

Rhambuk
03-09-2014, 05:29 PM

druids get a worthless bear in velious

HeallunRumblebelly
03-09-2014, 05:52 PM
druids get a worthless bear in velious

...You could pull faydedar with it! :P

Voland
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Duneadx,

I would like to join, PMed you.

Voland

Squire
03-10-2014, 03:12 AM
If you wanna do this on Red, I'd be game.

duneadx
03-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Bump! Looking for 2 more, looks like we got a 4th

Daldaen
03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
...You could pull faydedar with it! :P

Confirm/Deny, parking pet on Faydedar spawn point illegal?

What about druid bearpet?

I think if 1st is illegal, 2nd should be legit.

Nastinate
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
use stun whips u can stun lock the mobs

lecompte
03-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Pet pulling Fay isn't illegal

duneadx
03-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Bump! Looking for 2 more mages/necros! PST if interested!

Donruss
03-20-2014, 02:18 AM
What lvl are you guys? I want to make a Mage!

JPMorgan
03-20-2014, 08:53 AM
I have a level 5 mage. PM me if you want him along.

Vlak
03-20-2014, 09:24 AM
This group sounds awesome and I love the idea of the pet class guild! First post is getting updated a lot, keep us all posted how it's going!

Hmm, might this be a good way to help debug Velious on Beta as well? pet mechanics, pathing and whatnot?

lecompte
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Update: 3/19/2014
Couple people fell through, but we have already put this group together a few times now and have REALLY been killing it. PST if interested! Meeting t/w/tr nights from 10pm-12am

That is EST. And we are currently level 8, 9 and 9.

Voland
03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Here is a pic of our team medding in North Ro, watching the sunset.
We had a perfect shot, but some human monk just had to photobomb it :)

http://imgur.com/TkRrwr9

lecompte
03-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I do not condone the use of non classic graphics in that screenshot.

JPMorgan
03-20-2014, 04:12 PM

I'm out.

Voland
03-20-2014, 05:38 PM

I started in 2004, so these are classic to me :)

Breeziyo
03-20-2014, 06:48 PM
It's always been my dream in EQ to have a 6 man pet group.

And now I'm missing out on it. :'(

Voland
03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
It's always been my dream in EQ to have a 6 man pet group.

And now I'm missing out on it. :'(

You don't have to miss out, we got 1-2 spots open atm.
We are lvl 8-9 now.