PDA

View Full Version : Out of the classes with some melee

Rec
03-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Which class would be able to kill the largest number of named monsters in dungeons solo, closest to their legitimate level ranges.

Some twinking allowed, nothing like a fungus tunic or haste item before you would legitimately acquire them.

Meiva
03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Named monsters? Chanter I'd believe. Especially so with a pocket Cleric.

Rec
03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Chanter would be a caster, not a "class with some melee"

I meant like warrior, shadowknight, paladin, bard, monk, rogue. I didn't want to say class with only melee because that made the list even smaller.

baalzy
03-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Bard would probably be the best then. They can charm & mez. So they could charm a mob to do the fighting for them, or they can melee it while twisting DoTs then when getting low on life let the DoTs wear off and chain-mezz while twisting in heal song to recover, then melee+dot again (and they can slow, so that should help too)

Shaakglith12194
03-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Without some SERIOUS twinking, I think they'll all do equally terrible at the specific task you have set out here. You don't want a melee for this, you want a caster. Aside from that, you'd want to hit 60 and get really well geared out before you could start doing anything even half decent.

Danth
03-05-2014, 07:07 PM
In a purely solo setting, a Shaman will last longer in melee than any of the actual melee classes. Paladins can solo some dungeon monsters to a limited extent into the 40's or so, but their solo ability largely evaporates past 50.

Danth

Shaakglith12194
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
In a purely solo setting, a Shaman will last longer in melee than any of the actual melee classes. Paladins can solo some dungeon monsters to a limited extent into the 40's or so, but their solo ability largely evaporates past 50.

Danth

Yeah but he's talking about soloing named dungeon spawns close to character's relative level without being super twinked. Most melees with a little twinking or just some decent gear can solo mobs even into the 50's, but blue con named are a different story altogether.

Rec
03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Without some SERIOUS twinking, I think they'll all do equally terrible at the specific task you have set out here. You don't want a melee for this, you want a caster. Aside from that, you'd want to hit 60 and get really well geared out before you could start doing anything even half decent.

I knew the difficulty to impossibility. I still wanted to know everyone's opinion on this very specific question. Any of those classes at lvl 30 could kill anything in say blackburrow right? So that's one dungeon down! Then we're able to look at closest to legitimate level range. Then extrapolate that out to the rest of whatever is possible. Even if it's only like one named in a dungeon it still adds to the total.

Quineloe
03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Which dungeon mobs nameds are you talking about? Most I can think of you can't even get solo with most of these classes, which makes it pretty much impossible to take them down as a slightly higher, untwinked melee

Calibix
03-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Bard obviously.

Shaakglith12194
03-05-2014, 07:54 PM
All the way up to 60 you can kill green named with any melee, probably all light blue named as well. Dark blue named are either going to be super rare or impossible without serious twinking or 60 with uber gear. To put it into perspective, if the highest level mob in the dungeon is 10-20 levels below you, you could probably kill it. So basically look for dungeons that won't give you any experience or loot you would actually use.

You also have to consider things like getting to the named mob, pulling, FDing or running if it gets hairy. The only melees that excel at those aspects are gonna be the SK or a monk. Monk actually would probably be the best once its well geared, but without snare or casting interrupt it's going to be hit or miss. Well geared monk could probably even do some dark blue cons at great risk, but if you're looking for a mob by mob list by level, I'd say roll a monk and start making one. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't think a list of that nature exists and would be too in-depth to get all in one post on the forums. Maybe make a thread entitled "What named can a level 20 monk solo?" and explain the specific circumstances, that its not super twinked and would be dungeon named. Then after that thread, make one with "What named can a level 30 monk solo?" and so on. You'd probably still do better by rolling one, leveling a little, and taking on easy stuff, then working your way up.

Someone said bard but I have a 40 bard and have seen enough 50+ bards, so I have some real trouble believing they would do well at all. Sounds like corpse run city to me.

Thulack
03-05-2014, 07:56 PM
No melee is going to do well period soloing named mobs 30+ without some type of heals(fungi) or a friendly healer walking around outside of group healing. So which would be the least crappiest....i would say bard would last the longest before dying.

Rec
03-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Which dungeon mobs nameds are you talking about? Most I can think of you can't even get solo with most of these classes, which makes it pretty much impossible to take them down as a slightly higher, untwinked melee

The entirety of all dungeon named in the game.

baalzy
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Someone said bard but I have a 40 bard and have seen enough 50+ bards, so I have some real trouble believing they would do well at all. Sounds like corpse run city to me.

No one is arguing against the fact that a caster is going to be better at it. But if you were going to go with a 'melee' (and I don't really consider bards to be much melee, hell I bet Shaman are about on par with a bard for melee when using the right weapons) but bards do get the tools to do the job, albiet slowly if they're not just charming to win.

Rec
03-05-2014, 07:59 PM
All the way up to 60 you can kill green named with any melee, probably all light blue named as well. Dark blue named are either going to be super rare or impossible without serious twinking or 60 with uber gear. To put it into perspective, if the highest level mob in the dungeon is 10-20 levels below you, you could probably kill it. So basically look for dungeons that won't give you any experience or loot you would actually use.

You also have to consider things like getting to the named mob, pulling, FDing or running if it gets hairy. The only melees that excel at those aspects are gonna be the SK or a monk. Monk actually would probably be the best once its well geared, but without snare or casting interrupt it's going to be hit or miss. Well geared monk could probably even do some dark blue cons at great risk, but if you're looking for a mob by mob list by level, I'd say roll a monk and start making one. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't think a list of that nature exists and would be too in-depth to get all in one post on the forums. Maybe make a thread entitled "What named can a level 20 monk solo?" and explain the specific circumstances, that its not super twinked and would be dungeon named. Then after that thread, make one with "What named can a level 30 monk solo?" and so on. You'd probably still do better by rolling one, leveling a little, and taking on easy stuff, then working your way up.

I didn't want a list just an opinion of which class would have the highest total

Calibix
03-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Bards have the best set of tools if your patient and prepared. I might be a little biased but I don't see any melee doing it better. But I'm on the fence about calling bard melee anyways

lecompte
03-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Within the confines you've presented monk but those are some pretty rough parameters. If you call shaman a partial melee (they tank a lot and swing their weapon while doing so) then shaman

Shaakglith12194
03-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Monk. Bards have lots of tricks but their low durability vs melee and ability to kill a mob in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. before something repops and kicks your ass) is absolutely laughable. Charm relies on mana which regens at 1 mana per tick, so that's only in the bag for so long, coupled with the fact that you're indoors (can't selos) and most named are in places where other mobs spawn/roam (not much room to maneuver). They are able to take fewer hits than literally every other melee in the game, and take them more often because of low defensive skills (I'm looking at you, Parry and Riposte).

Monk would have highest total. Outside of that, you're talking about greens and all the melees could kill pretty much an equal amount.

Calibix
03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Monk. Bards have lots of tricks but their low durability vs melee and ability to kill a mob in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. before something repops and kicks your ass) is absolutely laughable. Charm relies on mana which regens at 1 mana per tick, so that's only in the bag for so long, coupled with the fact that you're indoors (can't selos) and most named are in places where other mobs spawn/roam (not much room to maneuver). They are able to take fewer hits than literally every other melee in the game, and take them more often because of low defensive skills (I'm looking at you, Parry and Riposte).

Monk would have highest total. Outside of that, you're talking about greens and all the melees could kill pretty much an equal amount.

Bard really wouldn't be getting hit unless they fucked up, and nothing that some pausing for mez/regen can't fix.

I do agree its not fast. It is still more plausible for a bard than any other melee. Plus they don't need to be twinked. Give me some instruments and gtg.

Shaakglith12194
03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Bard really wouldn't be getting hit unless they fucked up, and nothing that some pausing for mez/regen can't fix.

I do agree its not fast. It is still more plausible for a bard than any other melee. Plus they don't need to be twinked. Give me some instruments and gtg.

If that were the case, bards would be camping dungeon named all the time. Can't say I've seen a bard camp anything named in a dungeon solo on this server even once, though that's not to say that it doesn't happen. At 60, are you able to kill lguk named like frenzy or ghoul AM?

Danth
03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Partly it depends on the dungeon, too. Dungeons with named that can spawn in random locations such as The Hole allow melee a little more leeway. My Shadow Knight has on rare occasions solo'd lower dark-blue /con named in there when he got lucky and they happened to spawn in an out of the way area with nothing else around nearby, permitting some fear-kiting. As such it's possible, but only just, and not something I'd call typical.

Paladins can root-joust provided root sticks tolerably well. This doesn't require a lot of space. It's very slow and not fun, but doesn't require high-end gear (fungi, haste, etc). Getting in and out of dungeons can be severely problematic for this class. Slow kill rate means working out of "safe spots" is almost mandatory, leaving them with few practical options.

Danth

Calibix
03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
If that were the case, bards would be camping dungeon named all the time. Can't say I've seen a bard camp anything named in a dungeon solo on this server even once, though that's not to say that it doesn't happen. At 60, are you able to kill lguk named like frenzy or ghoul AM?

I haven't, but I'm very familiar with that camp, and yes I think its doable. Sol A has nameds I could think of you could do that would be DB, not necessary at 60 but when they are DB still and you have enough tools to do so. I'm not saying your going to make money or its efficient, just doable.

Partly it depends on the dungeon, too. Dungeons with named that can spawn in random locations such as The Hole allow melee a little more leeway. My Shadow Knight has on rare occasions solo'd lower dark-blue /con named in there when he got lucky and they happened to spawn in an out of the way area with nothing else around nearby, permitting some fear-kiting. As such it's possible, but only just, and not something I'd call typical.

Paladins can root-joust provided root sticks tolerably well. This doesn't require a lot of space. It's very slow and not fun, but doesn't require high-end gear (fungi, haste, etc). Getting in and out of dungeons can be severely problematic for this class. Slow kill rate means working out of "safe spots" is almost mandatory, leaving them with few practical options.

Danth

This is more along my lines of thinking. There are ways to do it if you think outside the box a bit instead of just oh melee it cant be done like a lot in this thread have.

Feanoir
03-06-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm only level 40, but I've been able to solo dark blues the whole way along, in fact I hit 40 Saturday doing the goblin king and 5 or 6 elite mobs in permafrost. All of my gear except bof and sword of mourning are self quested/camped.....although I did get help with some ro drops, I was able to solo about half if those named mobs as even cons at 30......grumble grumble....damn plague shark......anyway I digress, I don't know what its like above 40, but root, lull, and heals let you get pretty far in a dungeon. Get yourself a DA idol from hph for emergencies and you can do a lot of mobs, it just takes patience.

mutableman
03-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Which class would be able to kill the largest number of named monsters in dungeons solo, closest to their legitimate level ranges.

Some twinking allowed, nothing like a fungus tunic or haste item before you would legitimately acquire them.

There are only two melee toons on the solo artist challenge thread ( that are true soloists and not a duo/trio), a monk and a bard.

They are both solo disciples (lowest possible title) and their kill lists show that they killed the same mobs for 6 out of 7 kills needed for the title.

The monk surely had a fungi tunic to make those kills.

At level 60, it looks like bard wins.

Damlyn <57 Mage>

Quineloe
03-06-2014, 06:11 AM
I didn't want a list just an opinion of which class would have the highest total

ok I'll say bard, 25.

Clark
03-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Granite Face-Grinder shaman, Enchanter, Monk, SK (penalty sucks though w/o Fungi).

Pullyn
03-06-2014, 09:18 AM

I've seen Capi solo and duo plenty of stuff in Seb. 60 Monk/Bard duo is pretty beast in Seb. We have held the entire chef camp just the two of us. Problem is that kind of stuff is far outside the comfort zone of most bards which would be my guess as to why it rarely happens. Depending on the situation though id say a monk or bard for melee soloing. Toss in some clickies and it gets even easier for those two classes

Mandalore93
03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Imo, Bard would be doable for quite a bit of solo content if geared correctly. Would have to go dual stun swords (Howling Cutlass, Harmonic Dagger) + lvl 60 slow to make damage manageable, throw in SSB for healing (100 hps/tick), mez, and charm and I'd think it'd be doable.

webrunner5
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM
The ONLY reason a Shaman can solo melee mobs is because of slow. Most high end Shamans just root DoT mobs to death.

If a Warrior had a 70% slow like a Shaman they would be king shit soloing. Shamans have pretty bad melee stats compared to a Warrior, Ranger or Monk.

To answer the OP question. NO melee can really do dungeons solo even twinked. The Only one that can come close is a SK because of FD. A Monk would take forever to do it. Not enough tools compared to what a SK has. Snare, Fear, dots, pet, life taps, etc.

So I MAY say a SK to answer your question. A level 60 SK is pretty bad ass as a melee.

And a Bard is NOT a melee class. They are squishy as hell and hit like a girl. Their songs are their strength. Not melee. So if a song drops in a dungeon they are toast when they get hit.

Daldaen
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Bard... But as mentioned above. Much of bards stuff would not include actually meleeing. They would be sitting back not meleeing a vast majority of the time... Which sort of defeats the purpose I'm guessing.

Crawdad
03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Pocket cleric? Boxing is against the rules. Someone needs to check out Meiva and his "pocket cleric"

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pocket_Medic

pocket =/= boxing. Pocket Cleric means you have someone who will take care of only you/follows you around/available whenever you need them. Similar yet different.

Also, Bard. Or Monk. Bards have enough tools to solo lots of silly thing, however, casters (Ghoul AM for example) are probably a bad idea. Maybe if you get lucky and can charm it to empty its mana pool first.

Monk because monks go from OP in Kunark to Silly OP in Velious.

Not sure why you're stuck on melee though.

koros
03-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Bard >>>> SK > Monk.

Quineloe
03-06-2014, 01:48 PM
The ONLY reason a Shaman can solo melee mobs is because of slow. Most high end Shamans just root DoT mobs to death.

If a Warrior had a 70% slow like a Shaman they would be king shit soloing. Shamans have pretty bad melee stats compared to a Warrior, Ranger or Monk.

To answer the OP question. NO melee can really do dungeons solo even twinked. The Only one that can come close is a SK because of FD. A Monk would take forever to do it. Not enough tools compared to what a SK has. Snare, Fear, dots, pet, life taps, etc.

So I MAY say a SK to answer your question. A level 60 SK is pretty bad ass as a melee.

And a Bard is NOT a melee class. They are squishy as hell and hit like a girl. Their songs are their strength. Not melee. So if a song drops in a dungeon they are toast when they get hit.

Level 60 makes it pretty easy. Which bosses in Sebilis, Karnor's and HS can a SK realistically solo?

thieros
03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Bard >>>> SK > Monk.

Calibix
03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Also, Bard. Or Monk. Bards have enough tools to solo lots of silly thing, however, casters (Ghoul AM for example) are probably a bad idea. Maybe if you get lucky and can charm it to empty its mana pool first.

Monk because monks go from OP in Kunark to Silly OP in Velious.

Not sure why you're stuck on melee though.

mez stun fear or face tank with resists?

http://wiki.project1999.com/The_ghoul_arch_magus

6500 hp. That's not a lot. Kunark named certainly have more hp, but even that doesn't make it impossible, just less margin for error.

lecompte
03-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Until you get to super high end, when the stuff is summoning you. Then you're tanking again :).

I think the OP has left the thread, never to return.

nilzark
03-06-2014, 03:17 PM
SK does OK, but all suck.

Crawdad
03-06-2014, 03:19 PM
mez stun fear or face tank with resists?

http://wiki.project1999.com/The_ghoul_arch_magus

6500 hp. That's not a lot. Kunark named certainly have more hp, but even that doesn't make it impossible, just less margin for error.

Named casters definitely aren't impossible for Bards, they're just harder for Bards than for Any caster class. Bard as a melee class though, totally doable. Mez interrupt or Charm it/a neighbor and let 'em waste mana would be how I'd do it. Not entirely sure I'd want to fear kite in LGuk let alone a Kunark dungeon, just depends on the spot.

Calibix
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Named casters definitely aren't impossible for Bards, they're just harder for Bards than for Any caster class. Bard as a melee class though, totally doable. Mez interrupt or Charm it/a neighbor and let 'em waste mana would be how I'd do it. Not entirely sure I'd want to fear kite in LGuk let alone a Kunark dungeon, just depends on the spot.

You could mez/mana drain if you wanted to go that route, although its not too hard to get to a point where you resist most spells anyway, so its usually better to let it cast.

Yep, fearing in a dungeon is a case by case thing. HS is perfect for it example. Lguk is a little more tricky, but the AM room is reasonable if your keep him in the square area. 3 ticks isn't that long, so its easy to control where the mob goes, and if its going to far just mez push it where it needs to be, mez and let it walk back to you, whatever.

webrunner5
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't really think any of the Melee OTHER than a Bard can take on the big time Caster Mobs. But to be fair to Bards they can sort of Melee because they have Slow also. But it has been my experience after playing this game none stop for 15 years that the Bards I played were dangerous as hell to solo deep into dungeons because of Songs dropping, castors summoning etc. Characters that have FD or Enchanters using Charm, Mez or slow have a BIG edge in those situations.

pasi
03-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Bards, but they're no more melee than shaman.

You're basically looking at 3 factors here:

1) Can you single pull the mob or CC? With root nets and a bit of micro, you can manage to split some with any class.
2) Can you heal?
3) Can you slow? Monks get access to a charged slow stone, but this is basically just rangers and warriors.

I'd argue rangers are the best provided the mob comes solo due to Earthcaller and the ability to root -> heal. If you factor in root nets and slowstones, monks come out ahead.