PDA

View Full Version : Unfriendliness

bomaroast
03-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Why are so many unfriendly? Tonight I ran to three different zones in my level range and found three groups of people to sit with, say hello, offer buffs and be generally jovial in hopes of an invite. Problem is, at all three locations no one said a single word or offered a single friendly emote.

Why do you all play this game just exactly? I enjoy the group dynamic and having to cooperate to succeed.

Perhaps the better question is, why are so many jaded?

odiecat99
03-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Sounds like youre one of the many shamans on the serbergets bettur trust meh.

Pheer
03-02-2014, 01:23 AM
you just weren't in the right place man

tonight the party was going down in mistmoore

Tecmos Deception
03-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Since when is not striking up conversation with a stranger conclusive evidence of being antisocial and jaded? This isn't Mayberry.

Cecily
03-02-2014, 01:31 AM
... be generally jovial in hopes of an invite. Problem is

that too many people playing Everquest are really really passive / passive aggressive in saying what they think or want. If you want a group invite, be more direct. That way you can get some sort of answer, maybe yes no, and not waste your time.

Source: I am an unfriendly.

odiecat99
03-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Tecmos you are anti social from what I have heard. Lub yah.

BigHurb
03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
the sword of 1000 truths

bomaroast
03-02-2014, 01:35 AM
I had the LFG tag up and was ooc'ing that I was lfg. To do more than that would be pestering I think. Shall I just beg? It's a freaking MMO.. we're supposed to be in this thing together

blondeattk
03-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Cos EQ is played by socially inept inbreds.......

tbh I find that even folk on my friends list can be moody; cant tell from one day to the next if they gonna be talkative/friendly.

ALso i find that some selfish twats, dont concentrate on eq while they are in a grp. I once kicked someone out of a grp, cos they were watching a video while grped. Thats just rude and selfish. Also can be irritating putting up with people who have family in RL....they poping afk every few mins to chk on this or stop Brat A murdering Brat X, bit more of a legit reason but its still annoying for the grp.

Lyrith
03-02-2014, 01:38 AM
you just weren't in the right place man

tonight the party was going down in mistmoore

Yeah, MM was good times tonight. Always fun to see 5 different people come together from different guilds and work together to kill something.

And having an enchanter in the group that is soo stoned he doesn't have spells memmed?

Good Times! Thanks again Feign!

odiecat99
03-02-2014, 01:38 AM
So I guess we should stay locked up tight in the basement and ignore our kids.

got it.

Cecily
03-02-2014, 01:42 AM

tbh I find that even folk on my friends list can be moody; cant tell from one day to the next if they gonna be talkative/friendly.

ALso i find that some selfish twats, dont concentrate on eq while they are in a grp. I once kicked someone out of a grp, cos they were watching a video while grped. Thats just rude and selfish. Also can be irritating putting up with people who have family in RL....they poping afk every few mins to chk on this or stop Brat A murdering Brat X, bit more of a legit reason but its still annoying for the grp.

You sound like a bundle of joy.

odiecat99
03-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Yeah, MM was good times tonight. Always fun to see 5 different people come together from different guilds and work together to kill something.

And having an enchanter in the group that is soo stoned he doesn't have spells memmed?

that wasnt me..

kalasin actually pays attention !

Lojik
03-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Since when is not striking up conversation with a stranger conclusive evidence of being antisocial and jaded? This isn't Mayberry.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2g007eGlE1r1ghovo1_500.gif
OP is waiting for a group invite still.

Cecily
03-02-2014, 01:57 AM
I had the LFG tag up and was ooc'ing that I was lfg. To do more than that would be pestering I think. Shall I just beg? It's a freaking MMO.. we're supposed to be in this thing together

I find it hard to believe you sent a tell to someone and got flat out ignored saying something like, "Hi there, lv xx xxxxx LFG. Do you guys have any space?" It doesn't hurt to ask. Most of the social aspect of the game happens when you actually get your foot in the door for a group... in group chat. Say gets ignored because people are concentrating on killing things.

BigHurb
03-02-2014, 01:59 AM
i prefer syrup

also susvain making sense again what the hell

NextGenesis88
03-02-2014, 02:08 AM

Yeah, that kind of thing is really lame IMO.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-02-2014, 02:21 AM

Used to be a lot more people who used caps and punctuation appropriately. I personally used to do it but found it to be a waste of time. Point is, without punctuation or emoting your message it can come across as rude whereas you might just be trying to communicate efficiently. Kind of like emails I guess.

And yeah, lots of people out there semi-Afk. The worst are not the young parents, the worst are the distracted players watching a movie or trying to multitask. There used to be a Shadowknight who streamed...... Was an active forum poster (don't remember either name) but he was terrible for playing distracted. Had to bail on the group it got so frustrating.

Sarajo
03-02-2014, 02:25 AM
I remember this from classic too, and it was a big shock the first time someone didn't speak to me. I thought I was being friendly. I'd start with a greeting, like "Hello there", then follow it up a few seconds later with something like "Do you have room for a bard?

And ya know what? Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't, and some other times they just kept doing what they were doing. That third one was the part I found a little offensive - when you actually have to get up and walk around me to go pull, then pull and turn the mob while walking around me, yet you can't acknowledge my presence?

So this happened recently. I saw a group of 5, and I asked if they had any room. No reply. I typed out something about "Thank you for your time, sorry to have bothered you. Please let me know if there's any room for another soon.", which was heavily edited from the original typed message of "Sorry to bother you - disregard my request, I should probably cross the zoneline and go fuck myself"

2 minutes later I get a frantic "Sorry I wasn't paying attention to chat & sorry group is full" and I was glad I wasn't a passive aggressive little snit. You have to understand that there are players who never read a word of chat in these days of ventrillo, teamspeak, mumble, and whatever the other thing is. You also have to understand that some people are not good at filtering into different chat boxes, and your /say message could have been instantly washed away in their melee spam or someone in the group drawing ASCII penises with a macro. You might want to send someone a /tell next time.

http://i.imgur.com/7Xysu3w.gif

Dirtnap
03-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Who would have guessed another person had a bad experience with the gloriously welcoming and friendly bunch we have here.

I have been saying for years that people are not nearly as nice and friendly as forumquesters claim.

Your guildmates don't count when you are talking about interractions between players, as they are part of your team. Random people are what matters, and they tend to be selfish.

Clark
03-02-2014, 06:26 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2g007eGlE1r1ghovo1_500.gif
OP is waiting for a group invite still.

:D

Tecmos Deception
03-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Tecmos you are anti social from what I have heard. Lub yah.

Nonsense. It's usually inconvenient and often annoying for me to group with most other people most of the time, so I don't. But I get people randomly sending me tells every day asking questions about enchanters or commenting about videos I've done or something, and I don't ignore them or snap at them for interrupting my solitude. My friends list and guild are full of people who I talk to every time I log on. I routinely take a break from farming in the bottom of a dungeon to wander to a random leveling zone in the world to buff anyone and everyone there.

People like the OP and blonde and boma certainly bring out my unfriendly side though, with their attitude that it is selfish of me to do my own thing while ignoring how selfish it is of them to expect me to change my thing for their benefit just because the game allows us to both be online at the same time. Screw that and screw them :)

Quineloe
03-02-2014, 07:12 AM
I find it hard to believe you sent a tell to someone and got flat out ignored saying something like, "Hi there, lv xx xxxxx LFG. Do you guys have any space?" It doesn't hurt to ask. Most of the social aspect of the game happens when you actually get your foot in the door for a group... in group chat. Say gets ignored because people are concentrating on killing things.

That actually does happen.

Asap
03-02-2014, 07:24 AM
To the individual complaining about people who afk to take care of their child(ren), nobody says a word when you afk every 5 minutes to smoke, or take your dog out to shit, or when you're only half paying attention because you're watching war on drugs documentaries on Netflix, or when your mom is screaming at you from the 1st floor.

Or how about the people who "Afk phone" for like 15 minutes. These are all cool with you, as long as you're not afking to give your kid a juice box, apparently

blondeattk
03-02-2014, 09:33 AM

got it.

I think you have it the wrong way around.....you should be upstairs and have the kids chained in the basement. Get your life sorted out man!

[/Irony off]

Hollywood
03-02-2014, 09:50 AM
that too many people playing Everquest are really really passive / passive aggressive in saying what they think or want. If you want a group invite, be more direct. That way you can get some sort of answer, maybe yes no, and not waste your time.

Source: I am an unfriendly.

Yes because the guy sitting at your camp with LFG floating over his head for the last hour and buffing you, isn't an indication they want to group.

If anyone had a lick of courtesy, they'd /say thanks <--- for the buffs at which point you could strike up a conversation.

It sounds to me like the reality is that most players are incapable of being aware of their surroundings and simply do not notice.

Cecily
03-02-2014, 10:06 AM
A 300 lb man doing a strip tease on the corner has every right to expect people to throw dollar bills at him, but might be disappointed if he didn't clear this arrangement up front with them.

Hailto
03-02-2014, 10:10 AM
make it rain

Swish
03-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I think the new LFG meta is to run around in circles around the mob you're killing, maybe turn on auto attack and help people, with your tag on obviously.

Take it to the next level if you're a LFG monk, keep feigning death in front of them.

People do that in CoM all the time.

Hollywood
03-02-2014, 10:21 AM
A 300 lb man doing a strip tease on the corner has every right to expect people to throw dollar bills at him, but might be disappointed if he didn't clear this arrangement up front with them.

Yes clearly via your deranged and abstract analogy, all jerks and simpletons who don't pay attention, are absolved.

Bravo.

Gadwen
03-02-2014, 10:49 AM
This reminds me of WoW players, just hang around people and don't say anything hoping they throw you an invite or accept yours. I find it annoying honestly, even if I have an open spot I won't invite the guy attacking our mobs or buffing and healing without saying anything.

Numbers_
03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I think the new LFG meta is to run around in circles around the mob you're killing, maybe turn on auto attack and help people, with your tag on obviously.

Take it to the next level if you're a LFG monk, keep feigning death in front of them.

I was feigning a lot today in CoM while LFG, but that's because I've never been there before and was scouting the place out ;)

Vexenu
03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Personally it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people take the passive aggressive approach of just standing next to your group and attacking mobs hoping for an invite.

I mean, fuck, can you not just say, "Hey what's up guys, any room for a LEVEL CLASS?"

If your fear of rejection is so high that you cannot ask directly for a group in a 15 year old elf simulator then you have bigger problems in life than having to solo for XP.

myriverse
03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Not wanting to group doesn't mean unfriendly.
Not being social does not mean antisocial.
MMOs are just as much individualistic as not.

fishingme
03-02-2014, 02:42 PM

got it.

if you have kids, you've given up your life and it's about them. If they aren't old enough to do shit on their own then your priority is to them, not a video game. Solo or don't play/slow down a group. If it's once every couple of hours that's fine though. But ya gotta get your priorities straightened out.

Side note: increasingly more, people are becoming retarded with this game when it comes to joining groups.

mgellan
03-02-2014, 03:01 PM
This reminds me of WoW players, just hang around people and don't say anything hoping they throw you an invite or accept yours. I find it annoying honestly, even if I have an open spot I won't invite the guy attacking our mobs or buffing and healing without saying anything.

This - when I read the OP my first thought was "One word - WoW!" Perhaps it's all modern MMOS but I was shocked when I (briefly!) played WoW and no one talked in group, or while soloing/questing. People would walk up to your camp if you were waiting on a pop, not say a word even if I said "Hey, how ya doing?" KS your mob, then run off.

IMHO there's a large contingent of people on this game who learned their social skills on modern MMOs and fucking suck at making relationships on this game. Whereas I came up from MOOs where everything was social and RP. These people need a remedial course in online socialization: try http://www.dragonsfiremoo.com/

Regards,
Mg

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

I was that enchanter. I remember running in circles, dont remember if i died or not.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
but you got your pelt Tuby you bastard

Lyrith
03-02-2014, 04:11 PM
lol, I did! You never died either. Good Job!

odiecat99
03-02-2014, 04:18 PM
I think you have it the wrong way around.....you should be upstairs and have the kids chained in the basement. Get your life sorted out man!

[/Irony off]

Hehehe.. touché

Cecily
03-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Just whatever you do.. don't say ANYTHING

Dirtnap
03-03-2014, 01:43 PM
My experience is a lot like the OP's. I will walk up to a group, ask if they need whatever I am currently on and get ignored. Hang out for a bit and keep talking to myself while adding some DPS to their mobs or doing buffs/heals. Get ignored for over an hour and log off.

I am being kind and helpful, being patient on either a group invite or a spot to open up if they are full.

lecompte
03-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Hehe, if I'm LFG on a level 38 I'll /who all cleric 34-42 and send a tell to everyone of them in an exp zone and ask them if they need a level 38 _________. If they say no, I ask that they keep me in mind.

Babizul
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM

It's like an eq mating ritual for lfg.

Babizul
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Just whatever you do.. don't say ANYTHING

Yeah I feel like the real problem is people are afraid to come up to a group and get an answer out of them without being pussies about it.

rollin5k
03-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Usually if you hang out and chat with group and talk them onto letting you job they will most the time. Just don't be afraid of rejection. And usually when that's the case you're knowingly going to bring them less xp if they already have an established group hehe

Lamil
03-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I've found that using /ooc lfg works less than going to camps and asking people if they have room for you. Most people here seem to fear rejecting you and invite you but will ignore you /ooc'ing.

Lesson.... Be proactive looking for group

skipdog
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Wow people, if you want to know if there is room for you, just ASK THEM.

This 'I'm gonna stand around a group with my LFG tag on, do some emotes and then call them rude when they don't invite me to group or chat back with me' thing is fucking pathetic.

Sorry, most of us don't play this game to casually chat with others. I'm sure most people will answer a question if asked.

Ofaelol
03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
The other day, I stood around the EC tunnel /wave 'ing to all of the traders. Not a single one gave me a Lamentation. Rude.

webrunner5
03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Maybe you are playing a class no one wants. :p Ranger comes to mind.

dbouya
03-04-2014, 02:55 AM
if the group is full and they're all chatting in group chat...yeah... as a 7th man you kind of just get ignored.

Clark
03-04-2014, 07:33 AM

lol

phacemeltar
03-04-2014, 07:36 AM
try doing what i do.. when you venture towards a group of players, just say "sup hos" usually the hobbit will either say something or hump your leg

Quineloe
03-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Especially the type of Ranger that already has a reputation of being too lazy to use his signature spell on SoWed runners. Yes, ensnare. GJ twinking that ranger out with 100k of stuff, too bad the spell still doesn't cast itself.

Whirled
03-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Most people I've met seem pretty nice here. Everyone has good & bad days -- maybe they stepped in cow turds just prior to logging in & they not in good mood? I don't know, I'm not a professional speculator. I'll group up tho!

Mirana
03-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Not everyone plays MMO's to be social. We get enough of that between 7 and 5 at work. When we get home, we just want to relax, turn our brain off, and not be forced into small talk with some stranger that may or may not be terrible at their class.

People like the OP and blonde and boma certainly bring out my unfriendly side though, with their attitude that it is selfish of me to do my own thing while ignoring how selfish it is of them to expect me to change my thing for their benefit just because the game allows us to both be online at the same time. Screw that and screw them :)

Also this. Well said. Tecmos was nice enough to answer some enchanter questions when I randomly messaged him. Would I expect him to group with me? Assuming he wasn't max level, why would he? It's much more inefficient for him. It's selfish of ME to expect otherwise.

tldr: people play for different reasons, get over it.

Morningbreath
03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
To the individual complaining about people who afk to take care of their child(ren), nobody says a word when you afk every 5 minutes to smoke, or take your dog out to shit, or when you're only half paying attention because you're watching war on drugs documentaries on Netflix, or when your mom is screaming at you from the 1st floor.

Or how about the people who "Afk phone" for like 15 minutes. These are all cool with you, as long as you're not afking to give your kid a juice box, apparently

It's all equally annoying. I mainly deal with it by trying to stay in duos or small groups as much as possible. Let's be honest, it's tough to get 6 people all on the same page for an extended period of time.

bomaroast
03-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Some small talk is necessary, otherwise you're just standing there without saying anything similar to the WoW kids. Don't be such an antisocial bitch. Is it the worst thing in the world having to reach up and type /say sup?
Really, there are 1000 games better than everquest if you want to play alone.

We do all know that everquest is just a database. All PC's and NPC's have location data, including data about what direction they're facing and whether they are sitting/walking/running/casting and data about what is on the characters bank and inventory. Every PC and NPC is just a list of many integers. So when you're standing there fighting a mob its just two data nodes interacting with each other. I'd imagine the database gets updated hundreds of time every second.

So, really.. what the fuck are you doing? Watching the 100 go to 0 for the billionth time by yourself?

Say hello to the other people in your mud based mmo.

Nirgon
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Offer them a rotation on spawns

source: I'm jaded

myriverse
03-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Some small talk is necessary, otherwise you're just standing there without saying anything similar to the WoW kids. Don't be such an antisocial bitch. Is it the worst thing in the world having to reach up and type /say sup?

We do all know that everquest is just a database. All PC's and NPC's have location data, including data about what direction they're facing and whether they are sitting/walking/running/casting and data about what is on the characters bank and inventory. Every PC and NPC is just a list of many integers. So when you're standing there fighting a mob its just two data nodes interacting with each other. I'd imagine the database gets updated hundreds of time every second.

So, really.. what the fuck are you doing? Watching the 100 go to 0 for the billionth time by yourself?

Being unsocial is not antisocial.

Whirled
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Can say only from my own perspective that it is tough to get into blabbing/texting/typing when you're busy dragging monsters back to group/camp.....FWIW (=

Sarajo
03-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Can say only from my own perspective that it is tough to get into blabbing/texting/typing when you're busy dragging monsters back to group/camp.....FWIW (=

http://portodiao.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/tumblr_miquclRvSA1qfhgqco1_500.gif.pagespeed.ce.mx wmvsXZzc.gif

Mirana
03-04-2014, 02:02 PM

The better question is why the hell do you care how others enjoy their game? Some people love to group, others just want to be left alone because they dealt with idiots at work all day. Neither one is wrong.

I really don't see your issue.

bomaroast
03-04-2014, 03:20 PM
The better question is why the hell do you care how others enjoy their game?

In an effort to improve the environment on the server I regularly run around and give platinum, buffs and friendly chatter to newbies. They are always willing and wanting to say hello. I'll let you infer the rest yourself.

because they dealt with idiots at work all day.

Its the same thing but in reverse. I dont like to deal with basement dwellers and antisocials in my mud.

Lojik
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Its the same thing but in reverse. I dont like to deal with basement dwellers and antisocials in my mud.

Try chatroulette? Is that still around?

bomaroast
03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Try chatroulette? Is that still around?

Negative. It's time to slay the dragon.

myriverse
03-04-2014, 03:34 PM
So, you choose to be antisocial and insult them?

Drummond
03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
There is a very real Jeep (Wrangler) culture if you didnt know. Jeep drivers wave at each other. :)

But Id guesstimate that about 1/4th of the drivers dont or wont wave back.

Some just miss the oncoming fellow Jeep driver -but others you can tell just won't ever be bothered.

But we in the Jeep community know who those guys are. We're watching.. we're watching. ;)

Whirled
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
So safe to say this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NNVm5ajMQ

Mirana
03-04-2014, 05:31 PM

I don't like to pay taxes or clean my house.

Are you seriously whining because people aren't playing a video game the way you want them to play it? Good lord, get the fuck over it.

Drummond
03-04-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't like to pay taxes or clean the upstairs of my parent's house.

Are you seriously whining because people aren't playing a video game the way you want them to play it? Good lord, get the fuck over it.

Are you seriously whining about the people whining about the people being rude in a video game? Good lord, get the fuck over it. ;)

Mirana
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Eh nevermind, not worth it.

Drummond
03-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I see what you did there. Calling someone out is not the same as whining, although im not surprised that you were unable to make that distinction...

Actually I can.

I was calling you out on your overreactionary rhetoric of "Good lord, get the fuck over it".

Unneeded and yes, a little hypocritical.

Jowston
03-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Such much whine.

Dirtnap
03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
This thread is indicative of the OP's point.

Make a thread talking about how people are unfriendly, get responses saying "Get the fuck over it, go fuck yourself."

myriverse
03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
This thread is indicative of the OP's point.

Make a thread talking about how people are unfriendly, get responses saying "Get the fuck over it, go fuck yourself."
It's not very friendly of the OP to be making his point.

Wanderling
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Just be glad you don't get tell responses like I do, "Sorry br0. Ranga would kill our xp."

But, but, but...I have arrows!!! And berries and roots and rabbit meat!
=(

Tealia
03-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Some gnomes are nice and some are not. I just go find mischiefs with the nice ones.

Clark
03-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Some gnomes are nice and some are not. I just go find mischiefs with the nice ones.

:D

Whirled
03-06-2014, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus
So the mean people are Charlie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4

JayN
03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Ive found of the years in my EQ journeys that often times most lowbies will have all their text going into one window and will miss just about everything going on around them (ooc/auc/shou/grp/and even guild-chat) especially so if they are a melee character.