PDA

View Full Version : Torn between SK and Warrior

Grosk
02-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Good morning P1999.

My name is Groskk and I have come to you from the long lost land of EQMac :)

I was involved with (and still am) <Vintage>, which was the progression guild on EQMac.
I was one of the main tanks as an Ogre Warrior and loved every minute of it.

That being said, I also boxed a full crew so solo time was both accelerated and fun :P

I'm really quite excited about being forced to play one toon, and will add an entirely different dimension to my game play (I played a monk on live).

So far, I've been very impressed with how welcoming your community has been, and the fact that EC tunnel is a thing!!

I realize this is a preference thing and it's not an easy decision.. I'm having a very hard time with choosing between an Ogre SK and an Ogre Warrior.

Part of my thinking for considering an SK is that I have never played one before..

--

As it sits this is how I am feeling about each class:

[Warrior]
-Familiar and very comfortable with this class, no learning curve
-Very gear dependent (I'm new to server -- this could be an issue)
-Group dependent, and possibly less desirable than a hybrid tank??

[Shadow Knight]
-Never played one before, not too concerned with learning curve -- might be fun to try something new
-Not top pick for raid tank
-Less gear dependent
-Possibly more desirable than warrior in group setting?
-Feign death (definitely comes in handy -- especially on a server with corpse runs :) )

-------------------

Mind weighing in?
As leveling is at classic speed, I only want to level up once :P

Thank you in advance, and it feels good to be here on your server!

Grosk
Officer <Vintage>

***[EDIT]***
Might be worth noting that my play times are somewhat limited to Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday all day.
During the other days of the week I work 15 hr days and really only have about an hour where I could play when I get home for the night.

baalzy
02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Brand-new you'll have a much easier time with the SK. Lower levels you're not going to experience much problem getting into a group and you can solo farm/xp much more effectively than a warrior would be able to. It means you can focus better on getting some PP to gear up or just picking up a bit of extra XP during the week when you only have maybe an hour in the evening.

Chances are by the time you get into the level ranges where the SK penalty will start affecting your ability to get groups, the penalty will gone (4-5 months from now I'd expect the class penalties to be removed). Once those are gone you will be picked over warrior for an xp group more often than not.

You will not have as much desirability in the large raid guilds, but with your play time I don't really think you'd want to be in one of those guilds anyways so you shouldn't have a problem finding a more part-time ready raid guild that will take you in.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd go the SK route.

Send me a tell on any of the chars in my sig tonight/tomorrow, I've got a blade of xalgoz you can have.

dethbringre
02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Id also suggest SK over War. although id also suggest paladin pretty easy to gear up cheaply. Baton of Faith, Sword of the Morning. DW helm at lvl 46 is pretty much amazing for solo. Fully heal yourself with no mana in about 3 minutes.

Grosk
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Decided on the Shadowknight!

Please look for Groskk the Ogre Shadow Knight with manners :P
(For all you SKs who think I'm soft -- my god just blessed me with a golden tongue)

baalzy
03-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Do you want to press one button your whole eq career? Auto attack? Then chose warrior

Dont forget ogres have like 20% exp penslty and sk is like 40%. So you bot like a 56% exp penalty. Dont ask me about the math just trust the numbers

15% * 40% race/class penalty

56% total

webrunner5
03-03-2014, 09:32 PM
I would kill for that 56% over my 68% on my Iksar SK lol. :eek: Welcome aboard.

Funkutron5000
03-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Roll Paladin. Love life.

Pheer
03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Roll Paladin. Love life.

roll paladin, punch people while charmed by dragons

collect rot loot