PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a fungi tunic?

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 11:39 AM
After reading this:

Too many would be attached to their characters that have 10 fungis and 20 manastones to start over.

I wanted to post to say that I was sure he was being tongue-in-cheeck, but that I was also sure that there really aren't THAT many people on the server who twink their every alt with 400k.

Hence this poll.

Lojik
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Hence this poll.

Did I click too soon?

Tecmos Deception
Prolly. Had to put in the 6 options I thought would be relatively good choices!

Sebekkha
I own one, it took me the best part of 2 years to afford one

Pringles
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
My alt has my fungi and my manastone =/

Lojik
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
My alt has my fungi and my manastone =/

The way I read that leads me to believe you think of your alt as your little brother or something always borrowing your stuff.

lecompte
02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
I think the people w/ several fungis are perhaps the MOST willing to start over. It is the people who can only play 6 hours a week that wouldn't want to. Getting to level 60 takes them a year; to take that away would cause a mighty sadness in their hearts.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
I own one, it took me the best part of 2 years to afford one

Yeah, I think I probably played p99 for 12-18 months before I could afford my first one. Wouldn't have been that bad except I quit my 50 from classic before I even hit 52, then started a new character, and then sold that account to level yet another character before I finally had a 60.

Growlers
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I keep trying to save up for one, but my plat keeps burning a hole in my pocket.

myriverse
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm allergic to fungus.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
I think the people w/ several fungis are perhaps the MOST willing to start over. It is the people who can only play 6 hours a week that wouldn't want to. Getting to level 60 takes them a year to take that away would cause a mighty sadness in their hearts.

This is the first post in a series about a new server that will eventually lead to R&F. Hope you picked the right poll option :p

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 11:47 AM
I know the poll isn't perfect, since caster mains without alts might have the cash for a fungi but no use for one or something. But damn it, my research methods undergrad classes were a long fucking time ago.

lecompte
02-26-2014, 11:49 AM
This is the first post in a series about a new server that will eventually lead to R&F. Hope you picked the right poll option :p

HA! How can there be a wrong poll option. (Note: I ended that with a period.)

Whirled
02-26-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm one of those "casuals" and I would move to a new 99 type server if they started one fresh.

khanable
02-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Nope

Used to own one, but once I made high 50's/60 I sold it to get some upgrades in armor slots

I somewhat miss it -- I'll find one at some point again

Asap
02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I do not have one, no.

Splorf22
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
I think the people w/ several fungis are perhaps the MOST willing to start over. It is the people who can only play 6 hours a week that wouldn't want to. Getting to level 60 takes them a year; to take that away would cause a mighty sadness in their hearts.

+1

Raavak
02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Getting some lucky drops in HS makes fungi much more affordable, especially before invis pull nerf/fix pushed prices up.

Lyrith
02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Fungi just really isn't fun on a Main unless you are a Shaman, imho... Maybe Pure melee also, but still a lot of downtime to regen back up.

myxomatosii
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I got a fungi back when it was 60k or so, then it dropped to like 40k, I was sad. But then it went back up to like 90+, so now I'm happy again.

Good to see them having value, the most I've ever had at once was three.

rollin5k
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Op having a hard time measuring epeen. Needed a poll

lecompte
02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Op having a hard time measuring epeen. Needed a poll

Obviously someone who knows nothing about Tecmos.

EDIT: and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that while he didn't click the radial button for this option, he did, in fact, vote for it:IDGAF I'M SENDING THIS THREAD TO R&F

Swish
02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Never owned one, but I can see the benefit :)

Lojik
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Obviously someone who knows nothing about Tecmos.

EDIT: and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that while he didn't click the radial button for this option, he did, in fact, vote for it:IDGAF I'M SENDING THIS THREAD TO R&F

He didn't click the button so I did for him.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Fungi just really isn't fun on a Main unless you are a Shaman, imho... Maybe Pure melee also, but still a lot of downtime to regen back up.

I'd probably wear a fungi 24/7 on anyone who can wear it, excepting a warrior who is ~50+ and getting CHed.

Needed a poll

I did not, however, need a poll to know that the first troll in this thread would be a red player. Although, to be fair to you, Raavak might have been trolling. I can't really tell if I should make a witty retort to him or not.

Roth
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm a casual player but it's mostly by choice. I would play on a new server. I think a lot of casual players on THIS server are mostly experience gamers who don't have as much time as they used to or don't want to dedicate time and also just enjoy casually leveling and not trying to race to max level. I believe most casual gamers could be hardcore if they chose to be, or are hardcore at heart... just because that's the type of player attracted to this type of server.

lecompte
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Ontracking thread so it doesn't end up in RnF:

Never owned one, but I can see the benefit :)

Ya Swish, they can be very powerful at lower levels turning pretty much any class that can wear it into a tank until 30 -- very helpful. I use it on my ranger to powerlevel people w/o downtime.

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
After reading this:

I wanted to post to say that I was sure he was being tongue-in-cheeck, but that I was also sure that there really aren't THAT many people on the server who twink their every alt with 400k.

Hence this poll.

Fun to see I prompted the erection of a poll.

The 10 fungi was a joke about the dude who was trying to sell a 10 pack of fungis during the invis-pull-exploit fest when king was perma camped by a duo or trio, and never full grouped. Dunno what ever happened to that thread but it was entertaining.

But yea, it was hyperbole. I think people would play there as I said for a month and then go back to where they came from most likely.

To the topic at hand... I don't own one but could easily buy 2 or 3 if I wanted to. I've mused buying one, leveling paladin 10 levels and then selling it... But I'm not sure I want to do that and I'm sort of trying to save for a more-better purchase. It just isn't that high of a priority to me for my Druid or any of my Alts at the moment though.

August
02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
I own 3 fungis. Don't hate.

I bought one when it was 60k, sold it 110k - completely accidentally, just happened to be when I was 'quitting'.

Came back and they were 60k again, so I bought two.

Got a group @ king one day on my ENC, and won a roll for tunic. So, 3 it is.

I made the original 60k by camping AC, coming back every 33 (36? I forget) to hit the PH.

Also a jeweler, and I sold wares in the tunnel making 2-4k a night. Took about 2-3 months total for me to afford the first one, playing casually.

Laugher
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Had one for a while :p although in some situations (being a rogue alt with it) the fbss was more helpful, but the regen kept me going solo

Swish
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Was in Sebilis on my cleric (for the first time in about a year) the other day and we had an iksar warrior with a fungi on (and other decent gear)... probably didn't CH him for 15-20 minutes with constant pulls. Shaman had regen on him too, but its still a nice benefit :)

baalzy
02-26-2014, 01:15 PM
I do not own one. The last time I focused strictly on making money I was able to make 30k in roughly a week playing casual (25ish hours a week). If I had the drive I could easily buy one in less than a month.

Pringles
02-26-2014, 01:17 PM
The way I read that leads me to believe you think of your alt as your little brother or something always borrowing your stuff.

Kinda. My ench has no use for either.

August
02-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I do not own one. The last time I focused strictly on making money I was able to make 30k in roughly a week playing casual (25ish hours a week). If I had the drive I could easily buy one in less than a month.

I hate to break this to you, but 25 hours a week is by no means 'casual'.

Juevento
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Traded the two fungis I had on twinks for a Mrylokar's BP. 100hp tick > 18 hp per tick on a paladin twink.

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Traded the two fungis I had on twinks for a Mrylokar's BP. 100hp tick > 18 hp per tick on a paladin twink.

I don't even....

Fungi is 15 regen not 18.
Mrylokar BP is rogue only? And requires 45 to click regardless. At which point a deep water helm is pretty close and much cheaper.

Or are you saying you sold twink gear to find main gear?

Thulack
02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Always keep a few fungi's handy :)

Erati
02-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Always keep a few fungi's handy :)

can i haves 1?

Juevento
02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't even....

Mrylokar BP is rogue only? And requires 45 to click regardless. At which point a deep water helm is pretty close and much cheaper.

I meant having any sort of twink gear on a paladin was a waste. So yes I traded twink gear for the BIS BP for my main.

And 15 vs 18 same thing.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I don't even....

Yeah, I think the last sentence is correct. Lol :)

Poll is interesting. I kinda thought it'd be more like 2/3 of people wouldn't have a tunic. Not that far off I guess though.

August
02-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I think the last sentence is correct. Lol :)

Poll is interesting. I kinda thought it'd be more like 2/3 of people wouldn't have a tunic. Not that far off I guess though.

consider selection bias. If you're on the forums, you're probably more 'into' P1999 than casuals who do not frequent forums - and who probably don't have fungis either

baalzy
02-26-2014, 02:06 PM

I consider it to be pretty casual when I never group so generally I'm reading or doing housework between 6-30 minute timers, followed by 1-3 minutes of activity once the timer goes off.

If i were spending 25 hours a week and dedicating 100% of my attention in-game I'd agree with you.

Millburn
02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
I have a fungi I pass around between my flavor of the month alt and then I have one I keep on my shaman.

... damn man I should probably sell one off so I might be able to afford Torpor.

With that all said, I would give it all up for a fresh start at the drop of a hat. Pixels are fun and all, but I'm here for the experience and the community, the pixel package is just a nice byproduct of being around and investing yourself.

Pint
02-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Fungis r cool but I'd trade all of mine for a guise

sulpher01
02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Fungis r cool but I'd trade all of mine for a guise

Same ;(

Splorf22
02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
To me the coolest part about a new server would be doing shit with scrub forces. Speaking of the fungi king, the camp is pretty trivial right now for a full group. You have your 60 epic/vp enchanter with a charmed krup, your 60 epic/vp warrior with 5500 hp, your 60 epic/vp shaman landing slows most of the time, your 60 epic/vp rogue/monk tearing shit up and if you do happen to wipe someone always has a cleric alt with the epic nearby.

Now if you flip those for a bunch of low 50s with classic weapons and armor? Suddenly things get way more interesting. DPS is half, so snare/slow/mez are key, but its not easy for low 50s toons to land anything at all on the myconids. You're going to have to have a good class composition and some good players to make any headway at all.

I remember doing Hate on Loraen with Altered Vision. We had about 10 players, none over 55. Was pretty awesome (especially b/c this was back in the day when TMO couldn't break fear). Speaking of Fear, it was actually pretty rough with that kind of force.

Having written this, I wonder if Kunark is one of the easiest expansions? Certainly it is from a raiding perspective: the increases in mob and player level cancel each other out, and the hugely increased DPS from disciplines and better weapons is far more important than slightly rougher AOEs. But it also doesn't seem that hard from a grouping perspective. Or maybe part of the issue is that we are in this strange late-Kunark with epic weapons (which are really Velious-caliber items).

Xelris
02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
I like my fungi. I don't get hit much but the rogue is a low priority heal target, and this always keeps me topped up for when I might actually need that hp, and it lowers the burden on the group healer somewhat.

Also prevents me from traveling at 50% health for an hour or more :b

Raavak
02-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Although, to be fair to you, Raavak might have been trolling. I can't really tell if I should make a witty retort to him or not.Nah, that's how I got mine however long ago it was, since no one took a wizard in King camp. Wasn't a shot at you.

Buns
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
if the 1% would hand out their fungies tunics to the rest of us smh

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Nah, that's how I got mine however long ago it was, since no one took a wizard in King camp. Wasn't a shot at you.

I formed a group for spore king once as a Druid... Never been invited to one.

Same for Crypt. Formed a group once... Never invited to one.

Stupid Druid and Wizard hate.

Danth
02-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Don't own one, probably never will--and I've been here since P1999 opened.

I'm not sure it matters though. The folks who own multiple expensive items are the sort of people who can pretty readily start from scratch and be back up to speed fairly quickly. They have the time, they have the motivation, they're on top now and would be on top of a new server, too. Folks who have only a couple low-level characters in junk gear could easily chuck it and start over too. The players who lose the most with a fresh start are the folks in the middle. Those are the folks who aren't (usually) going to want to give up years of effort, knowing it'd take that same period of years just to get back to where they already are.

Danth

myriverse
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
"Casual" has nothing to do with how often you play. It's a style of play.

On live, I was in a guild of casuals who tended to play 4-5 hrs per night.

August
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
"Casual" has nothing to do with how often you play. It's a style of play.

On live, I was in a guild of casuals who tended to play 4-5 hrs per night.

Look, we can argue semantics all we want. You're saying that casual means no raiding, and I'm saying casual means time/investment.

If you're playing 35 hours a week (5 hrs per night) EQ is a full time job for you (if you live in Europe).

Let's call it something else. You are 'dedicated' to playing EQ. Regardless, EQ is a wealth-building sim that is largely based on how much you play - it's really hard to lose wealth.

Usually, hardcore players, by your definition, also tend to put in a lot of time. Conversely with batphone, there are probably 'hardcore' players who only log in 1-2 hours at a time to down targets.

Whatever your preference, wealth here is largely correlated to the amount of time you play, whether it's inactive camping or active farming / EC tunnel. It is hard to put in time without getting tangible benefit.

myriverse
02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Casuals do not necessarily see EQ as a wealth-building sim.

And no, "casual" has nothing whatsoever to do with raiding. That guild I was in raided half of the week. Still casual though. The difference is not semantic. It's deeply philosophical.

Danth
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Whatever your preference, wealth here is largely correlated to the amount of time you play, whether it's inactive camping or active farming / EC tunnel. It is hard to put in time without getting tangible benefit.

This is only true if you perform certain activites. Two players could easily both spend 40 hours a week online, but if one of them is farming Spore King on his level 60 main while the other is goofing off on low-level alts most the time, you can rest pretty well assured that in 6 months time one of them will be "rich" and the other will not. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

That's much of why I stay "poor" by P1999 standards: At various times I've had sufficient time, but I've never had the motivation. I don't care about acquiring video game wealth. As such I'm casual by myriverse's understanding of the term, whether I spend 10 hours or 30 hours a week logged in.

Danth

diplo
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
i once owned 20 of them.

August
02-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Casuals do not necessarily see EQ as a wealth-building sim.

And no, "casual" has nothing whatsoever to do with raiding. That guild I was in raided half of the week. Still casual though.

Like I said, semantics. 35 hours a week is a large commitment to the game.

I agree with you Danth - except for if you actually played 30 hours a week every week, even on alts, you eventually end up with several level 60s over 4 years.

And while we may not see it as a wealth-building sim, the only outlets for coin are tradeskills, spells, and reagents. As you play, it's very hard to lose wealth due to the droppable nature of items.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Ashintar/Drumas voting to send this to R&F cause he's mad I haven't sold him a fungi for his shaman alt :(

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Will buy your fungi for 80k so I can be a cool kid... And level my paladin to 46 more easily.

Thulack
02-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Will buy your fungi for 80k so I can be a cool kid... And level my paladin to 46 more easily.

That sounds like Drumas in EC :D

Rararboker
02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Voted 'no' because I don't have one. Been saving up to buy one though. I'm just about halfway there!

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Fine. 81k.

Dweed
02-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I was lucky and bought mine for 46k a couple years back. Right about where the price bottomed out. Saved for it in a few weeks on my druid doing my old cycle of gate to Evil eye, jump to guano harvester, and port/med for 15mins repeat. Back when the server wasn't as packed.

zanderklocke
02-26-2014, 05:07 PM
I sold mine this past week as part of a trade for a bladestopper. I need to save up to get another because it's surprisingly useful as a bard even when we have regen and the heal clickie trak BP.

Lune
02-26-2014, 05:16 PM
I was lucky and bought mine for 46k a couple years back. Right about where the price bottomed out. Saved for it in a few weeks on my druid doing my old cycle of gate to Evil eye, jump to guano harvester, and port/med for 15mins repeat. Back when the server wasn't as packed.

I remember that. I used to buy your EE bags for like 450 and resell them for 600 while you were out getting another.

Same with some guy who did that with hero bracers. Was decent income for my newb ass while i was in the tunnel

Dweed
02-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I remember that. I used to buy your EE bags for like 450 and resell them for 600 while you were out getting another.

Same with some guy who did that with hero bracers. Was decent income for my newb ass while i was in the tunnel

Haha yeah, wasn't worth me holding them so many dropped.

HippoNipple
02-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I use my fungi on a level 14 epic rogue in CB to drive back all the blubies to the blue server.

Aelzrith
02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
I've been around a few years - started after kunark dropped. When I was levelling up, I didn't buy gear - I either quested for it or camped it. As a mage, this made it easy. Malachite is cheap.

Eventually, this resulted in quite a surplus of plat. After 50, going to Sebilis was just lining the coffers. Selling everything I looted in EC brought in more plat and eventually I decided to break the bank on a fungi when it was about 65k. It bottomed out at 45 and I was disappointed, but the utility has been very fun. Before the invis aggro change, I felt like a GOD leveling my SK in Unrest with a Fungi and CoS and IVU.

The fungi was a prestigious item on live - seeing a monk with a fungi and tstaff made you flip out. I always wondered what it would be like to be that monk. So, I made one.

TL;DR: Saved up. Got a fungi for alts.

Aethil
02-27-2014, 10:45 AM
I just started recently, so nah no Fungi here yet!

Soon!

Azure
02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Technically no one here owns any of the pixels they have. Technically rogean owns the bits and electrons while we all have a contract (which he can end at any time by banning us or deleting our accounts) with him to use his pixels by his good graces.

So all you morans can vote no.

Thx me l8tr for ur enlightenment.

/thread

lland
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
I never got one on Live back in the days but I bought one a few weeks ago here.

I use it on my shaman alt, and it changes the game play so so so so much.

It's currently on an iksar warrior recently created to play with friends who rerolled and it's also godlike to level a melee.

Such a good item.

Ashintar
03-01-2014, 03:42 PM

79k then!

Khatilly
03-01-2014, 04:59 PM
I was almost traded for one. Does that count?

Bazia
03-01-2014, 05:05 PM
got 2 and i only play casually on blue