PDA

View Full Version : Red Server Changes

Derubael
02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Before making the announcement regarding in-game mechanics changes, I'd like to take a moment to address the status of this community, both in-game and on the forums.

The large majority of this community is friendly, helpful, and has a strong desire to see this box thrive. Most of you do your best to foster a PvP environment that is also welcoming to people who are brand new to the EQ PvP scene. Each and every one of you is special to the staff here on Project 1999, and we greatly appreciate your daily contributions to this server.

There is, however, a small contingent of toxic players on this box and on these forums. These are the people who constantly post anti-red99 rhetoric both in game and on the boards. They drive off new players by telling them to play somewhere else, simply because they themselves do not like to play here. Some of them do not even log into the server anymore, but take time out of their day to come on these boards and let everyone know that they shouldn't be playing.

We have been pretty lax in enforcing many of the forum rules here on the Red Forum section. I myself frequently let posts remain when they should really be deleted - posts talking shit about the server, the staff, etc. This will no longer happen.

Just so everyone is clear, the forum rules laid out in this post (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=822434&postcount=5) are now in full effect, particularly this one:

Server Negativity
Spreading negative propaganda about the server and serving no purpose other than to slander the community and it's staff will not be allowed. This goes hand in hand with trolling however it does extend to the Rants and Flames forums. The staff work hard to provide this experience to you, and we will not tolerate negative conjecture about our agendas or actions.

As always, questions and comments can be made to our petition forums or via PM directly to management.

It has become an increasing realization among the staff that we have let this community's naysayers run far too free. While constructive criticism will always be welcomed, speaking poorly about the staff or the server from this point forward will get your forum account and possibly your in-game account banned, suspended or in-game chat privileges revoked.

This includes, but is not limited to, telling people not to play here, telling people the server is bad, criticizing staff decisions or staff themselves, and 'talking shit' about the box in general.

These rules extend to in-game chat channels (Global OOC, shout, etc)

If you do not wish to play here, do not play here. We will no longer allow you to drive others away from the server because you do not like the environment Nilbog, Rogean, and the other Devs have created for you to play in. If you are adamant about not playing here, we will be happy to facilitate the fulfillment of that desire.

All of that being said, for most of you, this will mean absolutely nothing.

And now, on to the mechanics announcement:

The global experience modifier on red has been removed.

The only experience modifier currently in place is the scaling bonus that was previously implemented.

Before this change, players were receiving a 400% XP bonus at level 1, scaling to 200% at 50-60. Now they will only receive the scaling 1-50 bonus.

This change is non-negotiable, it is fully supported and endorsed by the staff, and has been in the pipeline for a long time. We will not be bringing the previous global modifier back, except during XP bonus periods as was previously the case. We will continue to look at XP on red, and further modifications may be made in the near future.

Thanks, and have fun!

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 01:05 AM
I don't even

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 01:05 AM
So criticizing staff decisions, is that a forum ban or an account ban?

Squire
02-25-2014, 01:06 AM
:(

XiakenjaTZ
02-25-2014, 01:06 AM
thanks for the heads up on this

fiegi 8.0
02-25-2014, 01:08 AM
l o l

Doors
Respectfully disagree with the decision to modify the experience rate on a server with less than 200 people.

Tradesonred
lol and i thought PnP was vague

Potus
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
And now, on to the mechanics announcement:

The global experience modifier on red has been removed.

The only experience modifier currently in place is the scaling bonus that was previously implemented.

Before this change, players were receiving a 400% XP bonus at level 1, scaling to 200% at 50-60. Now they will only receive the scaling 1-50 bonus.

This change is non-negotiable, it is fully supported and endorsed by the staff, and has been in the pipeline for a long time. We will not be bringing the previous global modifier back, except during XP bonus periods as was previously the case. We will continue to look at XP on red, and further modifications may be made in the near future.

Thanks, and have fun!

What happened to your group exp bonus?

XiakenjaTZ
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
wow, the best answer is xp bonus gone?

Andis
02-25-2014, 01:10 AM

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Im criticizing staff decisions because i want people to play here and make the server grow, im confused now

woodlone
02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
I would agree with others, but ultimately it is NOT my box. I know there was that part about naysayers and shit talking etc etc, which would highly contribute to people NOT wanting to play on red server. It seems making red server harder (or more normal) to level, would also be the same detriment to people starting here.

p.s. Again this is not negativity, just sharing my thoughts with the community and I'm sure the authorities that be also take all of our wonderful opinions into consideration.

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Good luck if you're a hybrid bros cuz you got about 0 shot @ a group now

Azure
02-25-2014, 01:13 AM
O.o it really is happening.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/19c35oidyf35igif.gif

See all ur alts in CB :P

Nizzarr
02-25-2014, 01:14 AM
LoL

^^ My last post on these forums.

Probably will make our own p1999 forums on our guild website. Stay tuned!

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 01:14 AM
LoL

careful, I heard someone got ban hammered once for a post made on rerolled

Squire
02-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Good luck if you're a hybrid bros cuz you got about 0 shot @ a group now

:(

Tradesonred
http://www.getbullish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Rec
"criticizing staff decisions"

This was the only thing that seemed unusual. How do we effect change if we can't be critical of staff decisions?

Kazi
02-25-2014, 01:17 AM
I am a huge fan of the move to ban people who shit all over everything, but banning people for criticizing staff decisions? Is this a bannable post?

As for the xp change, I know the only reason I started on red is because of it. I know this reasoning extends to many others. I just don't get it.

odiecat99
LoL

nobody will care or miss you.

Derubael

We will continue to look at XP on red, and further modifications may be made in the near future.

For right now, that is being looked into. A % modifier per group member being added is a likely scenario, as well as an overall change to the scaling modifier (either changing the scale to 1-60, or setting it as a static % bonus from 1-60).

I don't want to make any time-line promises, or even any guarantees that these changes will be implemented. Just letting you guys know it's possible.

woodlone
02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
well it is "RED' server, red is associated with communism! lol jk

Azure
02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Derubael, u prob won't need this anymore cause of hammerdin spec on all GM's, but:

http://i.imgur.com/PQRWVs8.jpg

Wonder who will be bant first?

Humerox
02-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Nothing good will come from removing the xp modifier 50-60. Not a criticism, merely an observation.

That aside, I love the changes that have been made. They're something quite a few of us argued for before the box even came up. It's also nice to see some guilds are being extremely proactive in removing the toxins.

Thanks to all of you for your hard work and effort!

Potus
02-25-2014, 01:21 AM
For right now, that is being looked into. A % modifier per group member being added is a likely scenario, as well as an overall change to the scaling modifier (either changing the scale to 1-60, or setting it as a static % bonus from 1-60).

I don't want to make any time-line promises, or even any guarantees that these changes will be implemented. Just letting you guys know it's possible.

Why would you nerf exp up front and then "look into" modifying group exp when your original goal was to promote grouping?

Considering you keep calling the previous exp modifier on this server insane, I think it's fair to say you just wanted exp nerfed.

So congrats, I guess. Exp is nerfed.

Tradesonred
LoL

Whats the point of that though if devs cant read us debate the changes that are implemented on the server?

Ok ill be a little gentle for the sake of being constructive.

Maybe "criticizing staff decisions" is the wrong choice of words?

Bodybagger
As a newb here, the xp mod sucks... knowing all the people who got to enjoy it, and all the banned players who got to recycle through... but whatever, I'll make do... I mean... now it's like blue but without all my pixels and cash and people to play with... and the twinks can savagely cornhole me when they find me lol... but whatever, it's classic right?

All fuss aside, as a new guy, the only suggestion I have for staff is to alter server wide ooc... for the love of god... please, make a trash talk/lvl 50+ chat or something? That ooc is absurd and while suitable to trash talking ex-mechanics like myself who swear without knowing they are doing it... the fact is even I find it absurd and annoying. Either make a separate 50+ channel or trash talk channel, or make a separate trade channel please so I can turn that garbage off and still buy/sell?

I am pretty sure the server ooc on red breaks ever chat rule ever made in any online community ever. It's like WoW barrens chat got drunk with a 1990's AIM chat and had an illegitimate chat baby. Please, kill it with fire.

Elsewise, loving the experience... missing my blue pixels but haven't logged back since... now that I can't xp at all we shall see lol...

Pras GM's anyways though for support old ass elf sim so I can relive that last of life before I had to grow up and be an adult. Yay childhood relapse!

woodlone
02-25-2014, 01:22 AM
I think I see first candidate for the bandidate.

Tuffpuppy
Peace out Red99. Leveling up as a new player on the server when there isn't anyone your level to group with was worth it with an exp bonus. I see no point in trying to catch up. There is just not enough lower population to justify changing this now.

heartbrand
Here's the reaction from Red Dawn guild chat, home to a majority of newer players who are still leveling:

"This sucks I'm out"
"This is awful"
"Well I guess I'm quitting"

There could be a 10,000% exp bonus on this server but it's meaningless without players to group with. The dynamic of red means you're stuck to grouping with your own guild, which means there might be ONE cleric if you're lucky for your group, ONE enchanter, etc. Melees are going to get absolutely FUCKED by this. I just don't even x1000000000000000000000000

Tuffpuppy
02-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Also I really hope this decision wasn't rushed in favor of discouraging those recently banned from rerolling. As this doesn't effect them nearly as much as the new player who sees 1 person while they are trying to level, who most of the time is a twinked alt who just wants you dead.

Kazi
02-25-2014, 01:27 AM
I would like clarification of what criticism is unacceptable.

Xantille
Damn. Shit was just getting good too, ya feel?

Rec
How are people discouraged from rerolling if the xp bonus is still in effect 1-50?

Nothxu
02-25-2014, 01:28 AM
This is like the blue server now with 150 people instead of 1000. Why would you nerf experience without adding in a group modifier to slightly compensate for the nerf?

Sigh, I guess I am not surprised. I'm glad I did all my leveling. I feel bad for Red Dawn.

Funny they make a change like this in the same post about how you can't complain about the state of the server. What a joke.

heartbrand
It just feels like this wasn't thought out. Exp removal before group bonus? The HUGE pvp level range that now will mean you get shit on for a 2x longer period that isn't fixed to 4 level? Keeping one of the largest exp hubs in sol b FFA? You can't just take out an infected organ from a person without having a new one to put in first.

Greegon
Here's the reaction from Red Dawn guild chat, home to a majority of newer players who are still leveling:

"This sucks I'm out"
"This is awful"
"Well I guess I'm quitting"

There could be a 10,000% exp bonus on this server but it's meaningless without players to group with. The dynamic of red means you're stuck to grouping with your own guild, which means there might be ONE cleric if you're lucky for your group, ONE enchanter, etc. Melees are going to get absolutely FUCKED by this. I just don't even x1000000000000000000000000

for reals, I have all the toons I want at 60 already.. pretty much doesnt even affect people like me and heartbrand but this is just bad news. I've noticed a lot of people quit over stuff in patches since that one time in classic they made mobs flee more. This removal of the XP is bad news :(

Greegon
bad

news

Greegon
02-25-2014, 01:30 AM
lol amedlinda c what u did there

Kazi
02-25-2014, 01:30 AM
I have to say the xp loss in 50-60 is especially awful because that's where most of the pvp takes place. Once I get to 52, I'm going to be hunted and destroyed by 60s for months before I ever get a chance to actually fight back. +/- 4 maybe??

Potus
02-25-2014, 01:31 AM
How are people discouraged from rerolling if the xp bonus is still in effect 1-50?

Lots of people don't want to grind up to 50 only to face no-exp bonus on a pvp server where you're going to get mauled by 60s.

Can't imagine eating exp loss as a level 52 from pvp on a regular basis.

Azure
Can we get "flouncing" specifically added to the rule?

Bodybagger
Also I really hope this decision wasn't rushed in favor of discouraging those recently banned from rerolling. As this doesn't effect them nearly as much as the new player who sees 1 person while they are trying to level, who most of the time is a twinked alt who just wants you dead.

Confirmed.... people zone in, I ask if they wanna group, a wild twink appears, I get coined... they camp til someone of actual pvp compatibility shows up to contest, and then they run like women and plug.

It's a hard knock life for us.

I have a 22 rog who has been leveling with other melee's in glasscannon duo/trio's and an 8sk.... both will now be unplayable with no tanks or healers realistically... why solo grind for months when I could go to red server and hand in discord books with a guild of people and have a ball? lol

Came here with a half dozen friends, this will make our efforts far less feasible... I'm probably the only one sick enough to stick around for the torture, but eventually my wife agro will grow too high and I will get instagibbed from all the red raging. :D

Azure
02-25-2014, 01:32 AM
I have to say the xp loss in 50-60 is especially awful because that's where most of the pvp takes place. Once I get to 52, I'm going to be hunted and destroyed by 60s for months before I ever get a chance to actually fight back. +/- 4 maybe??

yar i think +/-4 is in order would make a lot of people happy and very few mad... not sure what staff thinks bout it?

Humerox
02-25-2014, 01:34 AM

That's what I was thinking. 52 with no +/-4 modifier? ouch

s1ckness
02-25-2014, 01:35 AM
well i know 3 rl friends that just quit.

gg

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Saw multiple Red Dawn members pack their bags tonight. Shit like that has a domino effect. I'm completely dumbfounded right now. This server was FINALLY going in the right direction. Three guilds, all offering different visions, tons of fun, I had brought lots of new players over. Man, I just really don't even. Like that's my response, just a complete head scratching absolutely perplexed hands in the air confusion.

odiecat99
02-25-2014, 01:43 AM
roll toons that can solo

Potus
02-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Going to play 1-50 and pretend 50+ doesn't exist.

odiecat99
02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
some day I will goto red and get griefed off the box.

some day gadget...
....some day..

Squire
02-25-2014, 01:51 AM
i started 11 days ago. my first and only character is my paladin. ive made a few pals on the server, also new players. i duo with them on ocassion but generally my leveling experience thus far has been solo, which isn't fun nor efficent as an untwinked paladin.

the people ive grouped with (ive never had a group larger than 3, only had a healer once, and generally grouped with an untwinked rogue or ranger) are all new as well. two told me they were considering quitting today after the xp augmentation was noticed by everyone.

not because theyre babies, or because its too classic for them, its because when two level 30 rogues are trying to duo mobs, wearing scarab gear and fine steel daggers it just sucks. theyre contending with red con fungi twinks and are obviously coined. the grind is so much more tedious than blue, and all we lowbies want is to reach end game to do stuff and pvp with our guilds instead of bind wound eachother in mistmoore after fleeing from some guy with with dragon haste and epics. the exp enhancement made this more tolerable for new players. there was light at the end of the tunnel which has since been occluded.

you said this decision was non negotable. i understand that. you also said pending evaluation further changes could be implemented, consider this my feedback to consider for future tweaking of the exp system.

tl;dr leveling on red is way more tedious than blue therefore enhanced exp is merley an equalizer and morale builder rather than an insane bonus as far as new, untwinked players are concerned.

BrobbVZ
02-25-2014, 01:55 AM
This is... I'm with the rest of the server on this and cannot understand the "positive" side of this. Maybe I'm just dumb :(

Greegon
02-25-2014, 01:57 AM
This is... I'm with the rest of the server on this and cannot understand the "positive" side of this. Maybe I'm just dumb :(

no this is a terrible decision ive been logged in for like 5-10 mins already seen like 3 new guildies say theyre quitting

BrobbVZ
02-25-2014, 02:01 AM
You know when Gyno is saying "Pras" something you know it cannot be good.

odiecat99
02-25-2014, 02:01 AM
PRAS DERUDOG, SIRKDOG, NILBERG, AND EMPEROR ROGDOG.

dumb
ass

Sirken
02-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Respectfully disagree with the decision to modify the experience rate on a server with less than 200 people.
i respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement.

"criticizing staff decisions"
This was the only thing that seemed unusual. How do we effect change if we can't be critical of staff decisions?
let me clarify this. Players are free to criticize things, what Derubael was referring to was the way in which most players do it. learn to criticize in a professional and respectful way while still getting your point across. i'm sick of losing fellow staff members due to a small handful of very loud players.

hagard
02-25-2014, 02:03 AM
as if xp didnt suck enough
I WILL NOT BE BACK ROGAINE
logging to loz

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:04 AM
Throw us a bone with +/-4 Sirken, lol

Squire
02-25-2014, 02:05 AM
sirk, im serious, not trolling or being an ass.

could you explain to us the positive impact that removing the exp modifier is supposed to have? i just don't get it.

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Currently on red99 there is 1 cleric online between the levels of 1 and 50. And that my friend is the issue. Not the EXP rate. Not OOC. Not Aunt Jemimah's Pancakes.

Tradesonred
http://s17.postimg.org/c77p7pl9r/Peace_guys.jpg

Kazi
It's going to encourage grouping on a 130 pop server or something. Or that was the plan, but they skipped implementing the group exp bonus. So yeah.

Bodybagger
02-25-2014, 02:07 AM
FWIW, red99 just went from ultra classic low pop fun with a few close buds, kicking but VERY slowly in horribly formed duo/trio's of all dps newbs not twinks.... to my buddies all leaving, and my options being a) back to blue or b) take PL and waste entire leveling experience I was here for and loving.

I don't get it... but I guess I have a decision to make... fun but meaningless leveling and socializing with easy pixels on blue and no fun end game.... or skip all the adventuring and take PL to 50... and try my chances there.

At that point though, if no one levels anything legitimately and everyone just PL's toons minus a few who play solo classes and enjoy that lifestyle... why not just make a server where we can roll level 50's from the start? IMO that's all this forces, is everyone to PL, where I'd been turning down PL's and just slowly chugging along with my crew of newbs... that seems like the only potential outcome to this situation... players who do stay will just get PL to be viable coz top end players want more top end players to kill and help them kill other top end players... can I just /createlvl50rogue instead of wasting a few days taking unwanted PL's since I can't legitimately play the game now that all my newb homies /quit? lol

mrproudbeard
02-25-2014, 02:07 AM
I really can't see myself getting to 60 at this point... EQ already too much a timesink and as a melee soloing isn't really an option anymore 50+. I'm 1 yellow from 52 now and I have no desire to ding up and enter the lvl 60 pvp range knowing it's just going to be such a huge struggle. I barely had the time to dedicate to EQ endgame as it was but this is final nail for me. Ah well, hope the people that stay have fun. Try not to take junk so seriously, it's just a game! Or should be anyway...

odiecat99
02-25-2014, 02:09 AM
I really can't see myself getting to 60 at this point... EQ already too much a timesink and as a melee soloing isn't really an option anymore 50+. I'm 1 yellow from 52 now and I have no desire to ding up and enter the lvl 60 pvp range knowing it's just going to be such a huge struggle. I barely had the time to dedicate to EQ endgame as it was but this is final nail for me. Ah well, hope the people that stay have fun. Try not to take junk so seriously, it's just a game! Or should be anyway...

this guy gets it

SamwiseRed
02-25-2014, 02:10 AM
a little confused as well. server is on the up and up. 3 guilds, actual new players.

I am sure your intentions are good but i cant help but feel that the staff have been away from this game as a player for so long they have no idea what is really going on.

just my imo. id say more but id rather not get banned.

- your conerned pal
samwise

edit: plz dont bant me

Koota
02-25-2014, 02:10 AM
There just simply isn't enough people 1-50 to group with. It's just not there. So those who CAN solo, must do it slower now on the thought process that "Hey, people will log in and they won't fly by you in levels now, so you can group with them for a long time" ... but that isn't going to happen. I mean, I respectfully am going to declare that a pipe dream. The server as it stands, with nothing short of a total rehaul, is not going to get to the point where the exp cut makes sense.

It just doesn't.

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:11 AM
The idea is that it will make it more difficult to create throwaway characters. In the long run that will prevent or hinder the toxics enough not to play or to reroll new toons after a ban. This is all opinion, btw.

There are other advantages...but I don't personally think NOW was a good time to do this, but w/e.

I good compromise to KEEP people that are turned off by the loss of the modifier is to make it easier in another way.

+/-4.

;)

Vile
02-25-2014, 02:11 AM
woo

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:12 AM
Whats the point of discussion anyway when they say the decision is set in stone.

Its kinda of absurdly funny to get something so wrong, and then say its non-negotiable

Maybe they will change their minds when server pop peaks at 40 again but *shrug* probably last box death for me

SamwiseRed
02-25-2014, 02:13 AM
when you equate the classic experience to grinding, you really do not get it.

Sirken
02-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Throw us a bone with +/-4 Sirken, lol

working on it

Kazi
02-25-2014, 02:16 AM
I also hesitate to level up more, given that I have no gear, no 60s, no alts. The reassurance that at 52, I would have the xp bonus to help me past the initial grief of BIS 60s so that I might compete is kinda shot now. I'm still gonna try and do my best, but this is pretty demoralizing.

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:16 AM
working on it

THANK YOU!!

rollin5k
02-25-2014, 02:17 AM
honestly need to put xp to stock and wipe this stink hole, or make a new one with stock xp and teams

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:18 AM
And its not doom and gloom, its probably one of the only few times where the playerbase will be unanimous, all the guilds, cept a few trolls.

Its a bad decision

Vega
02-25-2014, 02:18 AM
I know I'm a bluebie, and my opinion might not matter a while lot here. But having enjoyed UO and WoW pvp, I'd always considered red99. I made a couple level 5 toons, and was playing around with the idea of being more active on the server, just to check it out. The biggest motivation being, "Hey, if I don't like it, it won't be huge amount of wasted time, because you level so fast." Unfortunately, this change kind of made my decision for me. Good luck guys.

mrproudbeard
02-25-2014, 02:19 AM
working on it

Hope this isn't disrespectful but you have to realize we take this kind of comment with a huge grain of salt by now. Staff USUALLY delivers on the things they say they will, but it's rarely done in any sort of timely manner.

I understand it's all volunteer and yadda yadda, totally respect that. But you guys needed to make several changes at once to make an XP cut have any chance of making sense. Instead you just made a portion of the changes (the xp cut part) and the others are in the works. How long should we struggle and play here, probably not even having fun at this point, just waiting for the "working on it" part to come through?

If we could get communicated timelines at all there might be some hope. I understand that committing to timelines is very tough though.

Bodybagger
The idea is that it will make it more difficult to create throwaway characters. In the long run that will prevent or hinder the toxics enough not to play or to reroll new toons after a ban. This is all opinion, btw.

There are other advantages...but I don't personally think NOW was a good time to do this, but w/e.

I good compromise to KEEP people that are turned off by the loss of the modifier is to make it easier in another way.

+/-4.

;)

because the same guys who have rerolled 6 banned accounts and been PL rushed up and regeared every time won't just do the same thing again and again.... you know... those are the guys losing out on the gaming experience that is classic EQ 1-50+ grind.

Thank god this is how we solved that problem. It's so good they don't have any workaround for that... like taking a week to do that PL rush instead of a day or two... :confused:

I didn't want a PL. I didn't want handouts... I wanted friends, and to grind. And now my options are reroll a solo class I hate instead of playing what I enjoy, so I can lvl slow and alone, or take a PL to 50 and enter a hell I'm not even close to ready for :( ...or go back to blue where these problems don't exist... what if the 100 players on red just reroll blue and hand in discord books? Would life be way more awesome? Is this like that moment in half baked???

I'm not gonna do what everyone thinks I'm gonna do.... and FREAK OUT!.... but who's comin with me?

Fawqueue
Now all they have to do is roll back actual time to 1999 and then Red will finally thrive!

Honestly they should just reset the entire box. Red has had such a turbulent history, they just need to implement all these changes they've wanted to test and then just hit the button and start over with the ruleset they want. Changes like these would be more well received if they were applied to an even playing field. Instead, this lets current 60s wipe their brows in relief that they dodged the xp bullet and makes sure nobody new wants to even start.

That will never happen, and I do understand the staff is trying to find ways to reshape the direction of the box for the better. However, while they are at it they might as well re-title it Project Red-Flag 1999, because people will be wary of even logging in until things settle.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out in a few months...

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:20 AM
FWIW, red99 just went from ultra classic low pop fun with a few close buds, kicking but VERY slowly in horribly formed duo/trio's of all dps newbs not twinks.... to my buddies all leaving, and my options being a) back to blue or b) take PL and waste entire leveling experience I was here for and loving.

See the irony here

Nothxu
02-25-2014, 02:20 AM
working on it

+4 / -4 is not the answer. It just means even less people to pvp in a low population server. Please work on a big group exp bonus instead so people stop leaving the server.

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:21 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/The_Comedy_of_Errors.jpg

Squire
02-25-2014, 02:26 AM
if this was a precursor for teams i'd get it. if a group xp bonus was implemented along side of the global reduction, i'd get that. i just don't understand the wisdom of silently implemented this change and stating that a group bonus may or may not ever come. i'm just rather confused by the whole process.

attempted to mitigate throw away chars played by banned toxic players i understand, but these same players have access to resources us genuinely new player do not have despite the generosity and helpful nature of guilds. it seems this change hurts new players the most.

i've made this statement already and won't further belabor my point, but at the risk of being deemed dangerously critical one might agree with samwise's statement regarding a difference in player/dev perception.

at the end of the day i just dont want to see any more of the pals ive made among fellow new red players quit due to this, i want this box to thrive and survive.

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:27 AM
I didn't want a PL. I didn't want handouts... I wanted friends, and to grind. And now my options are reroll a solo class I hate instead of playing what I enjoy, so I can lvl slow and alone, or take a PL to 50...

Be glad you have a good guild that is happy to PL. I'm not being condescending, either. The situation was much more dire before...after I was unable to keep up with the leveling a year or more ago I was stuck logging in now and again and buffing random newbs on my mid-level cleric. When I came back I was pleasantly surprised to see Red Dawn taking a proactive approach in helping new people.

There seriously are not enough players to enjoy the 1-50 ride on red. Not unless you can get a few RL people to play with you.

Kraz
100 percent the server was looking up just go back to what it was.... it's so simple.

+4 -4 is going to drop pop it is not the answer.

Koota
+4 / -4 is not the answer. It just means even less people to pvp in a low population server. Please work on a big group exp bonus instead so people stop leaving the server.

This is probably the only real solution here, because 4/4 isn't it. Encouraging groups will help boost these solo players with alts and new players in the group with a chunky exp group bonus. I mean, honestly - we can just cross our fingers and hope it works. And I'm not (and neither is 99% of the players) confident that it will otherwise.

ansar
02-25-2014, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I don't understand the reasons behind the change. What are the benefits here?

Silent
02-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Kind of disappointed. I may already have 2 60s to pvp/raid with, I am in the process of leveling another char(hybrid) got him halfway to 60 before the exp change and even with the help of power leveling I feel like holding off on leveling him now. I hope this doesn't get new players already in the upper 40s and 50s down, The levels will come if your a solo class. This may create more pvp overall if people don't want to level up though.

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Seriously, its really hard not to put a tin foil hat on. How can they not see its going to make population drop. Its almost impossible.

Feldaar
02-25-2014, 02:36 AM
100 percent the server was looking up just go back to what it was.... it's so simple.

+4 -4 is going to drop pop it is not the answer.

This, please. Or xp nerf with added group bonus. Was really enjoying grouping with and giving advice to all the new folks joining the server. Gave me a reason to play some lower level alts. Hate to see them leave.

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:39 AM
The trick here is that with a +/-4 modifier it makes it much easier to learn the PvP curve. Instead of getting ganked at 52 by 60's you actually have a shot at things until 56. You have a much longer period to L2PvP before you get gangrolled by 60's.

And this change doesn't lessen PvP. It merely changes the level range you geared 60's have to grief non 60's. :P

Bodybagger
02-25-2014, 02:39 AM
Be glad you have a good guild that is happy to PL. I'm not being condescending, either. The situation was much more dire before...after I was unable to keep up with the leveling a year or more ago I was stuck logging in now and again and buffing random newbs on my mid-level cleric. When I came back I was pleasantly surprised to see Red Dawn taking a proactive approach in helping new people.

There seriously are not enough players to enjoy the 1-50 ride on red. Not unless you can get a few RL people to play with you.

So grateful I can sit back and basically just roll a lvl 50 rogue... that's exactly the experience I was going for when I came here form blue with a half dozen people and met more and made a friend list of people I could party with and have tragically awesome good times.

That isn't a good thing IMO.... and only promotes more PL'ing and less actual playing on the server. There was a mass exodus off newb players, who were already barely getting by to be honest.

We don't all desire power leveling and twinking, some of us legitimately enjoy playing the game.. the best part of EQ for me was always that it was as fun and as much adventuring at lvl 6 as lvl 60...

Humerox
02-25-2014, 02:43 AM
I fully agree, believe me. It's just that it's not possible on red...and the only time it WAS viable was at the beginning.

Galacticus
My opinion:

You shouldn't PUSH people to group because not grouping is worse exp.

No one is logging on and saying fuck groups im gonna exp alone forever solo-quest style.

The reason people solo is because they have no one to group with or there is pvp which is supposed to happen.

The logical thing to do is to keep the exp at its 400% rate because there is no reason to reduce it. Increase group exp to 500%.

You can argue it hasn't improved the population when it was at 400% by much, but it can in no way be argued that it is harming the server with any conclusive evidence that I have seen.

Kraz
I feel ya feldaar,
I met a slew of new young first time red99 players in the past few weeks, mostly in red dawn as they have created a great place for them. I have been playing an alt in unrest met squire, bodybagger, tempest, and about 4 others that are all new. They are all going to quit now because they are all melee and it's just not worth it to bandage to 60 in patchwork while getting killed by twinks. The exp where it was at was great you had it right, don't fix what aint broken! Go back to what it was then talk about it for god sakes.

rike
02-25-2014, 02:44 AM
i think this is the staffs way of letting the server die

Squire
02-25-2014, 02:45 AM
why was the exp bonus initially added?

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 02:45 AM
i think this is the staffs way of letting the server die

Faerie
02-25-2014, 02:55 AM
Much (all?) of the removed xp bonus was only intended to be in place temporarily, as something nice Rogean did after the server was DDoSed for a while. Blue had the same bonus, but theirs was removed long ago. We should have been expecting this sooner or later, and it's been 6 months of VZTZ xp rate + 1-50 scaling bonus. I feel that everyone leaving over this should do it quietly, because your negativity is really creating an atmosphere of doom and gloom that affects the rest of us. It's a shame you're leaving, but don't try to drag the rest of us down with you just because you don't want to play the game anymore.

This is a good change, when considering the long-term. If the established community here is truly worried about the hit to population, they should be working to alleviate the "harm" done by PLing new players and handing out gear when they can. With the xp rate lowered, such measures will actually have a greater impact on the individual and it will allow for more community growth. When the low levels inform ooc about a fungi twink, run over there and immy heal the people that deserve it.

If anything, this is an opportunity for the good guys to shine. People were too comfortable with easymode xp before, and comfort results in apathy and dulled wits. We never wanted apathetic players that didn't care about their characters or reputations.

If you were sincere in your efforts to recruit more blue players, Heartbrand, now is the time to stop complaining and take action.

vouss
something wrong when you hit 52 and don't know how to pvp tbh

Tekay
"Beware of the beast man. For he is the devils pawn. Alone among gods primates, he kills for sport, or lust, or greed....
Yay he will murder his brother to posses his brothers land.
"Let him not breed in great numbers,
for he will make a desert of his home, and yours.
Shun him, drive him back into his jungle layer. For he is the harbinger of death."

Let Project 1999 Red be it's own beast, do not attempt to control it, or govern it. Experience bonus is a must, as it is needed to compensate for the detrimental PvP has on PvE...

We are focused on PvP, not leveling. Unfortunately, leveling is a necessary rite to participate in the majority of PvP battles, contesting.

I like the viciousness of Red99, please keep it that way. Give xp, keep 8 lvl ranges, keep PvP alive and active. I beg of you don't World of Warcraftinize this beautiful box.

Squire
02-25-2014, 02:57 AM
why didnt nilbog know about this btw? earlier he asked how people liked the patch and when approched about the progresson retardent/downgrade he had no idea.

Humerox
02-25-2014, 03:00 AM
something wrong when you hit 52 and don't know how to pvp tbh

Ya. A 400% modifier on XP and new toons going 0-30's in a week.

Just sayin'.

:)

Telron
02-25-2014, 03:02 AM
Ya. A 400% modifier on XP and new toons going 0-30's in a week.

Just sayin'.

:)

Shits... classic??? haha I can take or leave the XP but would honestly like to see some work done to encourage grouping. A new player shouldn't have to be told "Dont roll a class that cant solo." That really pigeonholes ppl into classes they dont really want to play.

Faerie
02-25-2014, 03:03 AM
so next on your docket of suggestions to staff is remove the ability to buff /pl and prevent newbs to be given gear? gotcha.

Are you talking to me?

I've been pushing for them to delete the blue server. Or merge it into red. This would be the most help, honestly.

But in the way of things that might actually happen, I dunno. Blue transfers would be interesting. I've wondered if any blue guilds would consider making the jump as a cohesive unit. Probably would have been more likely before they added in the simulated repops.

Beyond that and the eventual teams server, I dunno. Things reach a point where only the community can help itself.

Oh, maybe they could make the pnp rules even bluer in hopes of making the bluebies less scared... but we've probably reached a good balance there already by forcing lns rules. It'd be kinda cool to see people being punished for "causing intentional xp loss" when they attack people engaged with NPCs.

JayN
02-25-2014, 03:04 AM
PRAS DERUDOG, SIRKDOG, NILBERG, AND EMPEROR ROGDOG.

Squire
02-25-2014, 03:05 AM
naw.

Faerie
02-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Oh yes, I forgot:

Thank you, devs and GMs, for your tireless efforts!

Players hating on devs for making their experience harder and more meaningful- very classic!

Humerox
02-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Shits... classic??? haha I can take or leave the XP but would honestly like to see some work done to encourage grouping. A new player shouldn't have to be told "Dont roll a class that cant solo." That really pigeonholes ppl into classes they dont really want to play.

Red Dawn needs every class. And is proactive in helping them all. HB is finally doing what should have been done a long time ago. Our own guilds helping the red community without regard to levels. They're the first I've seen that actively helps 20-60. It may not be completely altruistic, but the effect is the same. ;)

quido
02-25-2014, 03:10 AM
very interdasting

Bamz4l
02-25-2014, 03:11 AM
it is clear that a lot of people here cannot handle classic everquest.

Silent
02-25-2014, 03:12 AM
With these changes and the possibilty of a +4/-4 I may just keep my SK in the 49-50 51 range and get him BiS gear/VP weapons for when the time comes all those out of range clerics start healing the level 60s unless more work is added into not allowing this to happen.

heartbrand
02-25-2014, 03:13 AM
I don't really have an issue with classic exp conceptually. It makes you care more about your character, be more invested, etc.

But this is a server that has for the majority of the day a who all of less than 70 people. Due to the nature of this server you are only able to group with approximately a third of those people due to guild politics, and then of that third you need a healer and other classes (at high end almost always an enchanter for a good group) that's in your level range in order to group. That's just not a realistic emulation of how classic EverQuest was.

My suggestions are the removal of hybrid exp penalty / a grouping bonus / ability to box an enchanter/healer. Boxing will never happen, but I hope the hybrid exp shared penalty could be removed and a grouping bonus implemented. Maybe implement hot zones as well that change in order to foster more pvp and grouping as well? Just my suggestions.

Faerie
02-25-2014, 03:24 AM
SZ was xp loss on pvp death if you were within 5 levels.

Tradesonred
02-25-2014, 03:25 AM
I started a "lets protest in freeport" thread because i dont want server to slowly die. Most likely theres gonna be a little dip up when velious comes out but downhill from there XD

Rheon
02-25-2014, 03:26 AM
My suggestions are the removal of hybrid exp penalty

^This..i did approx 1 hour and 45 mins of exp on my 56 troll SK last nite at efreeti and got exactly 3% xp..:o

Squire
02-25-2014, 03:41 AM
+/- 4

Group bonus

Item loot

Teams

Whatever, test it all now.

Pudge
02-25-2014, 03:47 AM
If the GM's are not willing to accept constructive criticism this project will fail.

just told them im not logging in for 2 weeks. im still gonna monitor/perhaps post for forums. if they stop censoring posts maybe i will log in again

already had 2 posts deleted. not going to be a part of a community that can't commune.

Sirken
02-25-2014, 03:47 AM
If the GM's are not willing to accept constructive criticism this project will fail.

let me clarify this. Players are free to criticize things, what Derubael was referring to was the way in which most players do it. learn to criticize in a professional and respectful way while still getting your point across. i'm sick of losing fellow staff members due to a small handful of very loud players.

Welcome back to page 4ish

<3
Sirks

Derubael
02-25-2014, 03:48 AM
To add to Sirken's above statement, this was in the OP:

constructive criticism will always be welcomed