PDA

View Full Version : Iksar Shaman can't use JBB! Reroll?

Solb
02-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Is not being able to use a JBB that groundbreaking? Obviously people function without it, as there are plenty of Iksar Shaman. Just curious what is so great about one item that actually dictates that some people avoid a certain race because it cannot use that item. I began an Iksar Shaman and have been told by more than one player this is a big deal. What do you guys think?

Swish
02-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Iksar is probably the underdog race for tanking Lodi in Velious, but I wouldn't reroll based on not being able to use an item :p

Did the Cabilis alchemy vendors get fixed this far on the timeline? If not, THAT is a reason to reroll as its not like you can use the North Ro vendors :(

Xelris
02-23-2014, 12:15 AM
It's convenient but not necessary. Mana-free nuking is great and all but it's a class that at 60 basically has near-limitless amounts of it factoring in torpor. It will affect your xp intake some, but not your overall solo power, put it that way.

Solb
02-23-2014, 12:16 AM
I was talking to a guy today, and he mentioned that indeed, there are no alchemy vendors for the Iksar shaman. That's not a big deal for me as a mule can be created to get the supplies if I need them.

I just see how every shaman wears a fungi tunic at higher lvls. With a Iksar or troll, that would not be a necessary item to have. that would save 95k or more, which could be put towards Torpor if I ever got that far.

I also despise how ogres look, and trolls too. Big, fat, ugly. Iksar at least have a more streamlined appearance, and smaller size so they can fit in smaller places if needed. Plus I like the imperialistic look they got, the horned helms and how they hold their shields. I just like them better.

Swish
02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
I had an iksar shaman on live (Swish on Trakanon before it was torn down and movelogged to Tunare). Definitely the race I'd pick if I started one again for exactly the same reasons.

I'd stick with it unless you're under level 10 or have plenty of time to redo the levels you've already done. Iksar get "real" armor in Velious anyway :)

Solb
02-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Yeah thanks. Guess I just needed to hear someone say what I was thinking. Thanks Swish! You being a cat person and all, I should have expected no less!

Fireapple
02-23-2014, 12:30 AM
I also despise how ogres look, and trolls too. Big, fat, ugly. Iksar at least have a more streamlined appearance, and smaller size so they can fit in smaller places if needed. Plus I like the imperialistic look they got, the horned helms and how they hold their shields. I just like them better.

Lizards look stupid.

Solb
02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Lizards. Look. Awesome.

Fireapple
02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Lizards. Look. Awesome.

no

Swish
02-23-2014, 12:40 AM
One thing I noticed recently, I can't remember the last time I grouped with a barb shaman in KC or Sebilis...

In fact barb rogues seem to be scarce. People getting lazy at character creation about having to do 8 levels in Everfrost?

Turp_SmokinPurp
02-23-2014, 12:45 AM
If you plan on raiding than going Iksar is not a bad choice.
Robe > JBB
If you are going to be solo/duo etc than JBB is really nice to have.

Either way a fungi is good to have on any sham.

Unless your sporting sexy like...
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Turp420/EQEQ/EQ000235.png (http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Turp420/media/EQEQ/EQ000235.png.html)

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Turp420/EQEQ/EQ000237.png (http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Turp420/media/EQEQ/EQ000237.png.html)

An of course FD robed Gnome shamans > All

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Turp420/EQEQ/EQ000201.png (http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Turp420/media/EQEQ/EQ000201.png.html)

Lizards look stupid.

Rhambuk
02-23-2014, 12:46 AM
In fact barb rogues seem to be scarce. People getting lazy at character creation about having to do 8 levels in Everfrost?

barb rogues don't work "Lemme reach into the gnomes purses and pick out a few coins,,, ... ..... damn gorrilla figures, Bitch gimme all yo money!

everfrost is still my favorite noobzone today. run back just to see the wold snow

Solb
02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
That robe is cool looking, Turp =D

Rathnir
02-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet: Iksars also lack Slam, which is your only real recourse for interrupting spells unless you have your dogdog, who is unreliable at best. Also, if iksars are capable of getting it, there is a lot of faction grinding required for the SoulFire. Until it's nerfed it's still a very powerful item, especially for Shamans since they are already highly efficient at solo/duo content.

When asked, I always recommend Troll for shaman race, since they get Slam, regen, high stamina, clicky snare, JBB. Besides the "Ogre Argument" that always comes up, I think this is probably the best min/max type shaman, since regen is paramount to how many buffs/debuffs/whatever you can put out, and iksars lack the other features.

It's all how you want to play. Iksars get the same regen as trolls (afaik) so the mana potential is the same on raids as them, and JBB isn't going to make or break a raid.

My shaman is a barbarian. It's how I played in classic, and being good-aligned is pretty undervalued. You will rarely see any other shaman race randomly buffing lowbies in Qeynos, Rivervale, Kaladim etc. Plus they are just god damned handsome, can't beat the woad/kilt combo.

Derubael
02-23-2014, 01:52 AM
recommended leveling path for every race except Iksar:

1: log out
2: delete
3: make iksar
4: 1-8 FoB
5: 8-16 kurns
6: 16-20 behind kurns

etc

Potus
02-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Iksar are the master race.

Infuriati
02-23-2014, 01:55 AM
In all seriousness, at 56 you get paralyzing earth. With your epic and a 3 min root you can kill up to 5 or 6 at a time. Jbb isn't required whatsoever if

your mission is to hit 60. Even then the lower level roots still do the job, just require more attention to keep a timer on that root. They key thing here though is having your epic.

But if you aren't iksar then clearly having a jbb is one of your most useful tools, specially in groups or some kind of duo.

Races imo Ogre > Troll > Barb > Iksar, thats just me bud, but play what you love.

Mayhem2
02-23-2014, 01:59 AM
JBB is indeed awesome for soloing.

For example, watching a non JBB shaman solo Sebilis scarabs makes me want to slit my wrists.

Sarajo
02-23-2014, 02:32 AM
Ogres may not appeal to your ideal body type aesthetic, but shamans can shrink anyway.

joppykid
02-23-2014, 02:51 AM
I had an iksar shaman on live (Swish on Trakanon before it was torn down and movelogged to Tunare). Definitely the race I'd pick if I started one again for exactly the same reasons.

I'd stick with it unless you're under level 10 or have plenty of time to redo the levels you've already done. Iksar get "real" armor in Velious anyway :)

Lol swish you played on Tunare? Me too.

rollin5k
02-23-2014, 02:55 AM
jbb is stupid, barb the best but iksar cool too. everything goonnnnaa be o k

Valere
02-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Frontal bash stun immunity of Ogres is a pretty big deal for a Shaman, especially if you plan doing anything remotely fancy/difficult.

Sidelle
02-23-2014, 08:21 AM

Barb rogues are scarce now? GOOD. Rogues aren't supposed to be big clumsy grunting dorks.

As Syrio Forel would say, "bloody oafs..."

I made many barb rogue friends along the way though. Mainly because they were freaking everywhere when I was leveling! <3 you all. :D

Swish
02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Lol swish you played on Tunare? Me too.

For about 5 minutes, Swishxxxxxx didn't have the same ring to it :rolleyes: