PDA

View Full Version : You haven't played classic Everquest until...?

mistersuits
02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
So here's my premise. I'm creating a checklist of things you have to experience to truly capture the essence of classic EQ.

Ideas:

- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you've died to some idiot's train in Crushbone.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your group decides to move in just a bit farther and then immediately wipes.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your corpse run involves boats.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you finally got Pyzgn to spawn... but she didn't drop the GBS.

I played live EQ hardcore from '99 to '03. I've dabbled around on P99 fairly extensively but now that real life dictates more than when I was just a kid, I'm can't really go back. But if I play the game in a certain way, a way that makes crafting your own banded armor really special then it can be fun again even in small doses.

So I'm rolling up a Wood-elf Warrior, Stellvia, to level up with the following ruleset:

- Cannot use any gear that I didn't loot, craft, or ninja (ninja'ing is classic!)
- Cannot beg for buffs, drive-by buffs are OK.
- Cannot buy items from other players.

The goal is to "win" the game by meeting some cool friends (classic Everquest = community building downtime) and to "win" by looting/crafting silly items that should be casually farmable. Basically anything that invokes nostalgia turns into a win.

If you're interested in watching, I'll be streaming my play on twitch (twitch.tv/mistersuits) or just message me in game on my warrior, Stellvia.

Also, please add the things that truly make the classic EQ experience to this thread so I can add them to my list and check them off.

See you in game.

Solb
02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
I am trying to have an open-mind when reading your post, but to me, adding restrictions that have to be thought of only stifle your limited game time. If you have limited time to play, why not just play freely, and not put too much thought into it. ;)

If you want to immerse yourself into the world of EQ, in ways that are impossible on other games, I would suggest you do something similar to what Greengrocer has come up with. He roleplays an actual grocer, in EC and has come up with imaginative alternate gambling games to accompany his "grocery store" in the tunnel.

Perhaps you could create a blacksmith who peddles your wares in the tunnel alongside Greengrocer? You mentioned you wanted to craft banded armor etc. I am sure the ideas are endless, that's for you to choose of course.

Faerie
02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
You haven't played classic EQ until you're nuked to death in CB by a dark elf hiding behind orcs. Extra points for losing your leather armor.

jarshale
02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
This seems like a terrible idea.

Solb
02-23-2014, 11:18 AM
It isn't classic EQ until you argue with a group member who refuses to turn on split yet loots all of the corpses. You need those coppers and silvers, damnit!

Swish
02-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Much fun is had watching 2+ lootwhores in the group all race for the corpse as it drops. Continues even into Sebilis.

Kasyra
02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
It isnt classic till youve been killed by griffins while medding.
It isnt classic till youve accidentally hit a guard in a new city and die before you could get a bind.
It isnt classic till someone yells out "Can someone res the ranger again pls?"

Lamil
02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Until you've gotten up early to play and the server immediately comes down and realize you now have nothing to do

mistersuits
02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Until you've gotten up early to play and the server immediately comes down and realize you now have nothing to do

I just checked that one off my list!

Rhambuk
02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
I know im playing classic eq when I die to some BS and ragequit. after the /q waiting for the you currently have a char logged in message to fade. That moment the rage is subsiding I get a moment of clarity and i know im playing classic eq

Poxic
02-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Lmao i bet a bunch of us just did

Swish
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Dying in Crushbone and realising you forgot to bind in Greater Fay.

Now loading West Freeport...

amirite guys?

BattleToad
02-23-2014, 11:31 AM

:(

HeallunRumblebelly
02-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Until you run out of internet hours with 8 days left in the month with a corpse in the plane of fear.

Ravager
02-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I played an untwinked human monk to level 35, will pick him up again sooner or later, but I used similar rules to yours when I played him: All gear must be looted or crafted by me or bought from a merchant who normally stocks the gear, no buffs or free handouts (I clicked off drive by buffs and turned down all charity) and I didn't even buy ports.

It was a lot of fun, and I did pretty good for myself gear-wise, crafting my own Cured Silk Armor, questing Werewolf Skin Cloak, camping a fishbone earring and clicky invis rings, have my yellow sash and headband.

It's a very rewarding way to play the game and it becomes less about grinding to 60 and more about experiencing the content. I recommend everyone try it with at least one toon.

Solb
02-23-2014, 11:52 AM
You haven't played classic EQ until you run towards that bear in EC readying your noob Shortsword* only to have some caster nuke it right as you get on top of it, leaving you to watch the bear run off towards said caster. Damn, that one probably has a HQ bear skin!

Grizzled
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Being trained isnt much of a goal experience. Now being trained at both ends of that zone, That Is Classic! Train from each end of gfay/cb line. Or train from KC/DL line

On live one time, I barely escaped a train in KC, only to zone out and find some azzhat trained gore to kc line.

Magifyre
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Check

Squire
02-23-2014, 12:20 PM
until you fight a level 6 rogue who has an epic and fungi and you're rocking a worn great staff, in crush bone, like a boss.

Cyrano
02-23-2014, 01:11 PM
It's not classic until you've killed Nagafen with a pug raid. You'll get that chance in velious.

Hollywood
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Apparently it isn't classic unless...

-You knew at least one person who knew someone who knew the brother of someone in FoH
-You lied and say that you were once buffed by Aradune somewhere near Halas
-You were a monk and made an art of training people in the Hole
-You stole your parents credit card to pay for EQ
-You were ok with training in VP and saw it as a tactic
-You made a Barbarian and got a port to Greater Faydark, just so you could stand in Kelethin and block the bank door
-You corpse dragged someone to the opposite end of a zone
-You believed raiding meant you had to have a pre requisite trait of being a douche

azaya
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
It isnt classic till youve fallen off a boat and maxed out your swimming looking for land
It isnt classic till youve experienced at least one death loop

Acrux Bcrux
02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
You haven't played classic Everquest until...

Youve deleted all your max level characters in an attempt to quit only come back a month later and start all over and max out another character

HeallunRumblebelly
02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
It's not classic until you've killed Nagafen with a pug raid. You'll get that chance in velious.

Why would we not have alts for nagafen still? Do we stop using bladestoppers and prayers or something? o_O

nilzark
02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Not classic until:
o Played before it was illegal to train people off a spawn, then saw the play nice rules for the first time and considered it a bundle-of-sticks rule

o Spent 1 month of game time trying to get pieces of dark forge armor, only to come up short, and at the same time know that there is better armor out there for an SK

o Fall into the prison hole in Najena and never get your corpse back

Arterian
02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Until you've accidentally auto-attacked the banker.

Lisset
02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
It isnt classic till youve experienced at least one death loop

So those 3 years I played from 2000 - 2002 weren't classic?

sox7d
02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
So here's my premise. I'm creating a checklist of things you have to experience to truly capture the essence of classic EQ.

Ideas:

- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you've died to some idiot's train in Crushbone.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your group decides to move in just a bit farther and then immediately wipes.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your corpse run involves boats.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you finally got Pyzgn to spawn... but she didn't drop the GBS.

I played live EQ hardcore from '99 to '03. I've dabbled around on P99 fairly extensively but now that real life dictates more than when I was just a kid, I'm can't really go back. But if I play the game in a certain way, a way that makes crafting your own banded armor really special then it can be fun again even in small doses.

So I'm rolling up a Wood-elf Warrior, Stellvia, to level up with the following ruleset:

- Cannot use any gear that I didn't loot, craft, or ninja (ninja'ing is classic!)
- Cannot beg for buffs, drive-by buffs are OK.
- Cannot buy items from other players.

The goal is to "win" the game by meeting some cool friends (classic Everquest = community building downtime) and to "win" by looting/crafting silly items that should be casually farmable. Basically anything that invokes nostalgia turns into a win.

If you're interested in watching, I'll be streaming my play on twitch (twitch.tv/mistersuits) or just message me in game on my warrior, Stellvia.

Also, please add the things that truly make the classic EQ experience to this thread so I can add them to my list and check them off.

See you in game.

I did this on SoD with a ranger, but added no grouping/help and no maps(sod). It was extremely peaceful and rewarding. Listened to a lot of Summoning during that time which really emphasized the atmospheric loneliness. It was the best time of my life.

billw134
02-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Had EQ LAN parties, and changed the bind point of your friend who passed out to EK the. Ran him back to Bank, grabbed all his plat and converted it to copper, then gated.

Ahldagor
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I did this on SoD with a ranger, but added no grouping/help and no maps(sod). It was extremely peaceful and rewarding. Listened to a lot of Summoning during that time which really emphasized the atmospheric loneliness. It was the best time of my life.

that atmosphere stuff hit on my druid quading in cobalt scar. i would watch pathers go by and just be silent. some odd aesthetic satisfaction for a 12 year old.

Had EQ LAN parties, and changed the bind point of your friend who passed out to EK the. Ran him back to Bank, grabbed all his plat and converted it to copper, then gated.

lol that's evil

Reguiy
02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
You haven't played classic Everquest until you have been assassinated by the Dark Assassin.

Aborath
02-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Until you've done a flying kick with your dark elf monk.

Until you've camped Drezlna for 30 hours straight to get your JBoots.

Until you saw patchwork to leather to rawhide to banded to bronze as THE armor progression.

Roth
02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
You haven't played classic until you try to figure out how to get out of your home city

You haven't played classic until you experience a newbie dungeon for the first time

You haven't played classic until you get up at 6 am to ride the boat

You haven't played classic until you run across antonica

You haven't played classic until you farm some obscure mobs to try to make plat

You haven't played classic until you do a faction grind

You haven't played classic until you craft your own armor set

You haven't played classic until you form a pick up group for a dungeon no one goes to

You haven't played classic until you spend hours reading guides on soloing, travelling, and tradeskills

You haven't played classic until you spend a few hours soloing in the middle of nowhere

You haven't played classic until you meet great friends in game

You haven't played classic until you rage quit

Millburn
02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
You haven't played classic Everquest until pain and suffering tries to hit you, but misses...