PDA

View Full Version : Newbiw Ogre SK, first character. What low level equipment should I be saving for?

Fett
02-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi guys, I just started with an Ogre SK. I've got a couple questions.

Do I need to train 1 handed slash/shield, and 2 handed slash? or Should I just stick to 2 handed?

What low level equipment should I be saving for? Banded?

Thanks!

nilzark
02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
How do you not know this? Yet you know what banded mail is. At any rate, 2hd will give you greater damage per swing and 1 hand / shield will allow bash which stuns. So, that's up to you. I think banded and chain are good low level armors.

Fett
02-22-2014, 12:56 PM
How do you not know this? Yet you know what banded mail is. At any rate, 2hd will give you greater damage per swing and 1 hand / shield will allow bash which stuns. So, that's up to you. I think banded and chain are good low level armors.

It's been many, many years since I've played this game.

I'm an Ogre so I have slam, so I won't need a shield for bash right? Is there any other good reason to do 1HS as a SK?

nilzark
02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
If memory serves. Mace of the Shadowed Soul. But training is pointless anyway, as you can train as you fight, unless you get waaay behind then it's an annoying few hours to catch up.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mace_of_the_Shadowed_Soul Good 1hd Blunt here.

Slam stuns like bash, but does less damage. I think to ultimately answer your question, if you want to do the max damage as a Tank, then stick to 2hd weapons and use slam.

Brut
02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Wouldn't start talking about Moss immediately if hims just starting up, probably saving for banded is the way to go, if anyone still doing it. Getting plat to skill it up yourself isnt too bad, either, Feerrott/innothule area is one of the more generous newbie areas. You can prob find some low-end weapons (xalgozian blade and such) in EC for 50-100p price range now and then, should start saving for +hp stuff like 55/5 rings and Skullshaped barbute from there on.

nilzark
02-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Listen to Brut on this one. I was a DE SK.

Fett
02-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the replies

tron_mangler
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Dark reaver is nice usually cheap, but yea 55hp rings and skull shaped barbute will help you immensely.

Squire
02-22-2014, 07:22 PM
hp/ac rings are a great bang for the buck. darkmail gauntlets for a nice 50 mana and dex for your lifetap procs etc. those, some banded, a mace of the shadowed souls, clay guardian shield or mistmoore shield, and a dark reaver would be a great cost-effective kit for a young SK.

seeing as your not too deep in game yet, i cant recommnd trying out the red server enough. lots of people are willing to help you out with gear, plat, and leveling. if u decide to, drop me a tell.

Fett
02-22-2014, 07:25 PM
hp/ac rings are a great bang for the buck. darkmail gauntlets for a nice 50 mana and dex for your lifetap procs etc. those, some banded, a mace of the shadowed souls, clay guardian shield or mistmoore shield, and a dark reaver would be a great cost-effective kit for a young SK.

seeing as your not too deep in game yet, i cant recommnd trying out the red server enough. lots of people are willing to help you out with gear, plat, and leveling. if u decide to, drop me a tell.

I'm not really interested in PVP, sorry.

What would you say is the most important think to get first? A set of banded? I'm wearing mostly cloth right now.

pasi
02-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't know you, but you were smart enough to roll an ogre despite the allure of some mediocre 1hander with a cool quest.

For this, I will throw you 1000 plat or some items the next time I log in.

Fett
02-22-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't know you, but you were smart enough to roll an ogre despite the allure of some mediocre 1hander with a cool quest.

I rolled an ogre because they are the best race ever. (Well, at least they were my favorite race from the classic EQ days.) I had even started a RP guild back in the beta that was ogres only named "We Hungry"

I didn't even know there was a useful 1 hander quest really, though whatever it is can't beat Ogre smash!

and thanks, any money or equipment would be extremely helpful, I just got to level 6 and I'm finding it getting really difficult to solo even con mobs now. My character's name is Fettug. I don't know if I'll be on tonight, but I'll definitely be on tomorrow.

Yoite
02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
get a good weapon 1st, can snag kunark era 2h for 100pp. then id prob get banded, then save for 55hp rings.

Dangermouse
02-24-2014, 07:07 AM
I rolled an ogre because they are the best race ever, except trolls.

Fixed that for you :D

If I may chip in with a related question please?

My wife's SK is currently lvl 27, and she's using a shiny brass shield, and a sword of skyfire. Other gear is a mixture of banded, dark forge, and trash :) Don't have a lot of cash, so I'm wondering what's the next upgrade to get. Should we save for a MOSS, and a clay guardian shield (about 3k total cost?), or should she be thinking about going to a 2-hander once she gets to level 30? It is 30 when the damage cap gets removed, isn't it?

We usually duo, with my shaman, so she's almost always the tank, that's why I'm thinking a high AC shield might be the way to go ... ?

Thanks.

Fett
02-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Fixed that for you :D

If I may chip in with a related question please?

My wife's SK is currently lvl 27, and she's using a shiny brass shield, and a sword of skyfire. Other gear is a mixture of banded, dark forge, and trash :) Don't have a lot of cash, so I'm wondering what's the next upgrade to get. Should we save for a MOSS, and a clay guardian shield (about 3k total cost?), or should she be thinking about going to a 2-hander once she gets to level 30? It is 30 when the damage cap gets removed, isn't it?

We usually duo, with my shaman, so she's almost always the tank, that's why I'm thinking a high AC shield might be the way to go ... ?

Thanks.

It's been so long since I've played and I've forgotten so much. Is there a damage cap before level 30? Maybe I should be using a 1 hander and shield for now.

Ugrask
02-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks.

Personally, if you guys are duoing, I'd think you'd want her doing some DPS? So maybe a decent 2h while upgrading some HP/AC in other slots would be a better use. But I could be wrong.

I Bought a Deathbringer for about 500p 30/40 - you can probably get something else cheaper.

Fett
02-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Personally, if you guys are duoing, I'd think you'd want her doing some DPS? So maybe a decent 2h while upgrading some HP/AC in other slots would be a better use. But I could be wrong.

I Bought a Deathbringer for about 500p 30/40 - you can probably get something else cheaper.

I recently came into a little extra coin from a helpful necromancer. Do you know a decent 2H I can get for 100pp? I really need to get rid of the rusty 2H.

Ugrask
02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
If you're new to the game/an SK just PM and I'll try to front you some PP to get a weapon once I finish re-gearing mine. Stripped mine and deleted to re-roll with some buddies who then decided Nah, so waited a month for a restore, but he's back in action.

But quite a large amount of options in the 2-500P Range. So I'll get you set.

Ugrask
02-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Also the DMG cap is until 30, but it goes up at 10/20 until gone at 30 I believe, so while you'll be capped, you'll hit for max dmg more often and unless youre rocking a MoSS or Noc, the dmg from a 2H will be better.

We can get you this - if you want some faster swings.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Nathsar_Greatsword

Or maybe this for bigger hits.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Arbitor%27s_Combine_Greatsword

We'll see whats available.

Malone88
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
I personally think that Sword of Skyfire (150-200pp) is the best bang for the buck for pre-20 with the damage cap (and no double-attack), but it is 1hs. Thats just my opinion...I'm sure you parsers will show that I am wrong.

When you hit 20 and get double-attack and damage cap eases a bit, you can get a deathbringer (2hb) for around 300-400pp.

Ugrask
02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
^ Probably not a bad bet. I personally have never used a 2H before 20...but that's usually because I never had one when fresh, and if it was a later twink, I mostly had it to keep skills up.

Jimjam
02-25-2014, 05:00 AM
Getting started put all your money towards decent weapons. They'll help you so much more than most armour. While in single figure levels you want a weapon with 10DMG with as low a delay as possible. In your teens you want 14DMG (again as low delay as possible).

Armour wise under 10 a full set of cloth will give you decent mitigation, fill it up with rawhide, woven and mesh armour as it drops. Turn ruined animal pelts in to patchwork armour as you find them (ruined bear pelts for large races). Once you've got the lowest delay 14+DMG weapon you can find in your teens now is the time to fill out on banded (or similarly cheap alternatives) which is enough to keep you going for a while.

The only exception to this strategy is of you get the option of buying some cheap chunks of +hp buy it, especially at low level. These, combined with a good dps weapon, may mean you live long enough and dps strong enough to kill higher cons before they kill you. But really, once you have your spells, you'll be looking at killing for blues for xp (unless you are in a group or overbuffed).

If you are really short of cash level at the entrance to guk and you might be given a free dark reaver.

Fett
02-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Getting started put all your money towards decent weapons. They'll help you so much more than most armour. While in single figure levels you want a weapon with 10DMG with as low a delay as possible. In your teens you want 14DMG (again as low delay as possible).

Armour wise under 10 a full set of cloth will give you decent mitigation, fill it up with rawhide, woven and mesh armour as it drops. Turn ruined animal pelts in to patchwork armour as you find them (ruined bear pelts for large races). Once you've got the lowest delay 14+DMG weapon you can find in your teens now is the time to fill out on banded (or similarly cheap alternatives) which is enough to keep you going for a while.

The only exception to this strategy is of you get the option of buying some cheap chunks of +hp buy it, especially at low level. These, combined with a good dps weapon, may mean you live long enough and dps strong enough to kill higher cons before they kill you. But really, once you have your spells, you'll be looking at killing for blues for xp (unless you are in a group or overbuffed).

If you are really short of cash level at the entrance to guk and you might be given a free dark reaver.

Thanks for the info! The specifics for what damage rating is useful for which levels is particularly helpful.

Dangermouse
02-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Yeah thanks everyone for all the useful posts!

Fett
03-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Sorry to revive my dead thread, but I've got a couple other questions.

I've made it to 20. I'm assuming the Nathar Greatsword I have (2Hs, 17/30) is hitting for max damage already (I'm hitting for regular max swings at 34, unbuffed.) So no need to upgrade this till 30?

I've got mostly banded, plus some other random upgrades. Is there any armor I should be trying to upgrade, or will this hold me till the 30's when I can do the Darkforge quests?

Thanks.

lecompte
03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Took... 18 days to get to 20 on an ogre SK? Not bad. Lemme check my mules when I get on tonight and see if I can find some stuff for you... or stuff for you to sell cause I'm too lazy.

Fett
03-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Took... 18 days to get to 20 on an ogre SK? Not bad. Lemme check my mules when I get on tonight and see if I can find some stuff for you... or stuff for you to sell cause I'm too lazy.

What can I say? I'm just an Ogre love machine.

Ugrask
03-10-2014, 10:43 AM
All my cash is in my SK and he's got no hand-me downs besides what I've given ya already! But glad to see youre making progress.

Might have a Crested Mistmoore laying around if you still need a board. Just need to get it from Cab at some point.

Fett
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
All my cash is in my SK and he's got no hand-me downs besides what I've given ya already! But glad to see youre making progress.

Might have a Crested Mistmoore laying around if you still need a board. Just need to get it from Cab at some point.

While I'm never against being given free stuff, I'm more of just looking for information at this point. Is there anything I should attempt to upgrade till I get to 30 (for the sword), or the mid 30s for Darkforge armor?

and thank you for what you gave me, people on this server have been extremely nice with hand-me-downs, it's made getting through these early levels a lot more pleasant.

lecompte
03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Deathbringer%27s_Rod
Get that, super affordable and quite a bit better.

Ugrask
03-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Depends on your budget really. Look at it this way, if the game was fresh, you wouldnt have that sword anyway. So you're still going to have a leg up, and there's a dmg cap until 30...so play it safe with cash until then. Now...as far as DF goes, CT isnt all that camped so hopefully you've got some friends! (Working on regearing all my characters in the 25ish range, so maybe Ill be 30 and can help)

Nagash
03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
A good guide to spend your first 1k pp, I'd start with a weapon then with the rings.

falkun
03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I haven't seen CoS mentioned in this thread yet. Since you are over L20, once you've got banded, 5/55 rings, and a weapon straightened out, I'd focus on acquiring a circlet of shadow (http://wiki.project1999.com/Circlet_of_Shadow). Works great with FD and pulling and getting around in general.

Ugrask
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
I think we've been keeping the cost down a bit, CoS just keeps going up in price with Velious coming.

JayN
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I haven't seen CoS mentioned in this thread yet. Since you are over L20, once you've got banded, 5/55 rings, and a weapon straightened out, I'd focus on acquiring a circlet of shadow (http://wiki.project1999.com/Circlet_of_Shadow). Works great with FD and pulling and getting around in general.

Great advice

Fett
03-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Great advice

I do get Gather Shadows at level 30, is it worth spending that much money on the item, when I'll have the spell in 10 levels?

Daldaen
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Instant invis is invaluable.

That spell is useful for corpse runs only. The clicky is godly and was removed from game for a reason

Fett
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
A good guide to spend your first 1k pp, I'd start with a weapon then with the rings.

I've got 55/5 rings. My weapon is currently a Nathar Greatsword (2HS 17/30). According to the wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#Melee_Combat_and_Damage) damage cap at level 20 goes up to 60, and now I am hitting for 34. I think upgrading my weapon seems like the highest priority now.

Fett
03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Instant invis is invaluable.

That spell is useful for corpse runs only. The clicky is godly and was removed from game for a reason

Gotcha.

Ugrask
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Oh its worth it. Especially FD/instant Invis.

Like I said, the whole thread was about stuff a new person could afford. If anything, try to get it before Velious launches. But its not a priority as far as leveling goes.

That aside, when you get in your 30's if you havent found groups in CT hit me up and we can try to farm a few pieces of that darkforge ya wanted.

Fett
03-12-2014, 10:08 AM
That aside, when you get in your 30's if you havent found groups in CT hit me up and we can try to farm a few pieces of that darkforge ya wanted.

Thanks!

I'm trying to decide where to go from here now that I'm 20, I could probably eek one more level out of Oasis, but I'm starting to hate the sight of that zone. I was thinking about doing Upper Guk next (especially since it is close by, and seems to be heavily populated). Otherwise I guess Mistmoore, or Highpass, though there is never anyone in Highpass to group with.

Ugrask
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Uguk for sure. This is where a CoS would actually come in handy haha. Group in there for a level or two, then solo/duo the guk/lguk ZL for a few levels.

Gain a level or two in there on a group if you can, or try to solo spiders...should be good exp until level 22.

Once you get that, shoot me a message, I've got a 24 ranger, we could probably duo the ZL decently.

Scryzen/Scikala/Vrego are the three I'll be on.

falkun
03-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Upper guk has the most room for EXP. You can ride 20-30 in that zone, assuming there are groups to be had. Mistmoore can really only handle 3 groups (4th if wimps would actually go into the castle) - pond, GY, and CE. But GY and pond are sometimes stepping on each others' toes, and if you get soloers in there, it gets crowded.

I liked upper guk the best, but MM was easier to find groups until overcrowding set in. Also as a baddie you can bank in Grobb just fine.

Fett
03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Also as a baddie you can bank in Grobb just fine.

I learned the hard way though, I can't go to the Grobb SK guild! Luckily, Oggok is just down the road.

Smalls
04-04-2014, 01:53 PM
What is a decent 2-hander for a SK that doesn't cost a fortune? I was thinking maybe a Throneblade of the Ykesha or Zealot's Incarnadine Sword.

Scikala
04-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. These two are normally on the cheap.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Halberd

Smalls
04-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. These two are normally on the cheap.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Halberd

Halberd looks pretty good.

Fett
04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
What is a decent 2-hander for a SK that doesn't cost a fortune? I was thinking maybe a Throneblade of the Ykesha or Zealot's Incarnadine Sword.

I got an Axe of the Iron back for 30pp before someone gave me a better weapon. Good newbie 2HS.

Xer0
04-10-2014, 03:59 AM

yes, reward him for ez-mode
let mediocrity reign supreme

but yeah, no one's lying to you-- ac/hp.