PDA

View Full Version : Permadeath server?

Roth
02-21-2014, 12:14 AM
This is more for curiosity sake. It could be done by giving corpses a despawn time of like 5 seconds, and the exp per death could be so absurdly high that you'd go down to level 1 when you die.

Do you think people would play this server and what do you think the best approach to eq would be if you could never die, or lose the game? I was thinking someone could just do crushbone belts to level 60 if they really wanted to. Do you think if enough people hit 60 they would raid or would the risk be too high?

Swish
02-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Its an idea for EQemu, I'd give it a try but it would have to be well populated (as with most servers) to really succeed.

Roth
02-21-2014, 12:22 AM
What im most curious about is HOW people would play this server? If you grouped with someone, there's the risk of dying and then that's it. So do you solo or only group with people you trust? What areas would you go to?

Tecmos Deception
02-21-2014, 12:24 AM
It'd probably have to be a very, very custom server. If you took p99, for example, and just added in that you delevel to 1 and your corpse immediately rots anytime you die, it'd be too harsh for anything to ever really get accomplished.

Might be best when coupled with a no-level-limit FFA PvP server.

Rhambuk
02-21-2014, 12:26 AM
I would play a class that has #1 survivability and #2 Soloability
Soloing i wouldn't be too worried maybe just a little more cautious
Grouping I would try to go to low pop zones to avoid trains/badpathing/mobs warping (from other groups) I would probably not join a group unless I knew at least 1 person well enough already in the group to vouch for them.
Raiding would be a ridiculous zergfest to avoid death but any encounter with a DT cycle is basically impossible since no one is going to want to eat it.

triad
02-21-2014, 12:39 AM
i can feel the rage quit coming on at just the idea .. but id give it a shot

Vega
02-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Oh man, I remember back in the day how mad I'd get dying, and that was even with only 10% loss and the possibility of a rez (don't sweat it as much now). I couldn't imagine playing EQ with this sort of rule set though.

Swish
02-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Bards would own it I think.

Uteunayr
02-21-2014, 12:56 AM
Necromancer. Hit level 16. Don't rely upon others for anything. Never die.

Unidus
02-21-2014, 01:06 AM
No. One power surge or internet drop and you have to restart. No fun.

fastboy21
02-21-2014, 01:54 AM
Its an idea for EQemu, I'd give it a try but it would have to be well populated (as with most servers) to really succeed.

isn't the definition of successful to be well populated? :p

Swish
02-21-2014, 02:03 AM
isn't the definition of successful to be well populated? :p

Depends if you like to 6-box in an isolated bubble like some people would do here given the chance :/

Mac Dretti
02-21-2014, 02:23 AM
Rolfzek server has a teams/discord beta right now

rollin5k
02-21-2014, 02:29 AM
what about lag? thats like a 100% chance your definately going to lose the char eventually

Millburn
02-21-2014, 02:41 AM
I would play the hell out of a permadeath server, that shit would be so much fun. Only tweak I would think to implement would be like 250% xp rate. Nothing too ridiculous but enough to soften the blow.

God damn I really want this to happen.

applesauce25r624
02-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Necromancer. Hit level 16. Don't rely upon others for anything. Never die.
i'm a strong independent necro that don't need no group

Rec
02-21-2014, 05:08 AM
If a bard makes it high enough, no one else will stand a chance

Lisset
02-21-2014, 06:57 AM
I think it's a dumb idea but it gives me an idea for something better.

Every time you level, you get a bonus to your xp, say 10%. But when you die, you lose the bonus. You'd gave to cap the bonus (at say double xp) but it would give a genuine benefit for not dying. Also, you would only be able to get a bonus once per level so it would never be a good idea to die.

I think it would be interesting to see how it would affect gameplay.

Brut
02-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Lag, server crashes, zone crashes, etc would make it nothing but a huge rage fit when you die to circumstances you couldn't affect. Nothx.

Jimjam
02-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Discord server: prekunark zones only, ffa pvp, +xp mod, character resets to a fresh level 1 each time you die. After a month the 'winners' of the server are declared. End of server.

Toehammer
02-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I like the idea of a permadeath server for some fun now and then. However, it becomes addicting and frustrating. I play Diablo 2 hardcore ladder each time a new season starts, and invariably, I ALWAYS end up dying to lag at like levels 80-90. It is just so dang annoying to die to lag... it makes the whole experience sorta pointless.

Juhstin
02-21-2014, 08:42 AM
I'd still do it, it'd be fun.

Shinko
02-21-2014, 08:56 AM
dt...

Clark
02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
I'd mess around on a permadeath server pvp. The one they did on live was pretty sweet.

Jimjam
02-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I like the idea of a permadeath server for some fun now and then. However, it becomes addicting and frustrating. I play Diablo 2 hardcore ladder each time a new season starts, and invariably, I ALWAYS end up dying to lag at like levels 80-90. It is just so dang annoying to die to lag... it makes the whole experience sorta pointless.

This is an aspect of Diablo II that Path of Exile hardcore mode has perfectly replicated!

tristantio
02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Just do it like the classic Nintendo games, 3 lives and it's game over.

Would save from lag deaths but still limit total deaths.

Lojik
02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I think this would work pretty well with a great XP modifier. I'm not sure 250% would be enough, because a lot of the very fast XP groups on this server have melee with some pretty good gear. If gear is going to rot all the time and dungeon grouping is gonna be as risky as it is, you're gonna see some undergeared peeps for sure. It would be interesting to see which classes would start to be more desired than on this server and what playstyles would emerge.

Millburn
02-21-2014, 03:08 PM
250% xp rate modifier

Every 10 levels are milestones, instead of de-leveling back to 1 you will de-level to the last milestone you've reached. This does not apply for level 60.

Corpse rots immediately upon death.

Bank stash stays untouched so you can stockpile stuff for after you die.

I would say one character per account but that's easily circumvented by the fact that accounts are free.

baalzy
02-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Normal 3 hour rez timer on corpse. However, no timer pause just because you're logged out. Revive leaves you with your gear but level 1 again. The other rez's leave you 50%/90%/93%/96% of your total xp. Necros could only get an EE by sacrificing someone who managed to get to level 46, so they'd be ultra premium. If you don't get rezzed in time you're stuck at level 1 again with no unbanked gear. Skills are kept but capped per level.

Course, in a PvP environment people would band together enough to get raid geared, bank their gear and purposely delevel to 1 so they could grief people who are trying to advance. Eventually it will be 3 mouth breathing red-tards sitting around waiting for some poor sap to give the server a try and then grief them off it within 30 minutes.

Then they'll flood the blue boards with stupid recruitment posts and call everyone names the same way middle school boys do when they're trying to get a girl to like them, oblivious to the fact that it just makes them more detestable.

Mac Dretti
02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
can treat any server like its permadeath
just use the honor system

Lol

Nirgon
02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Did you play the live discord server? Heh.

Teppler
02-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Having an event discord server connected to P1999 would be fun as hell. Have it up for 3 weeks and give some awards out at the end.

Mac Dretti
02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Me and.my 5 friends will win the server with our sk cleric group