PDA

View Full Version : Weird aggro in general

Menaan
02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm posting this here to see what others thing because I could just not remember it correctly and don't want to post it as a bug if that is all it is. However I really feel like something is off with aggro in general on P99.

Granted I have only been on this server for 2 weeks but while playing my enchanter the past few nights, it is way to easy to pull aggro. I can wait and take no actions until a mob is at 50% hit points, cast a single tash on it and the mob is running for me. This is with a Paladin with an above level sword (read twink sword hehe) hitting the mob pretty often for 28 (cap for his level) as well as casting some level 9 spell on the mob (forget what spell he said it was but it makes a few white colored balls around the target).

I notice this a lot with pets as well, not just when the paladin is tanking. It can be a charmed pet tanking, or a necro pet tanking and you can rip aggro just the same with a single spell cast. Heck with pets just sitting is enough aggro to make the mob want to run toward you instead of the pet until the pet gets about 4 or 5 rounds of combat in. I know sitting aggro when first sending in the pet used to cause this, but it was usually ok after the first round, not 4 or 5 rounds.

I do not remember aggro being this easy to rip with spells or off pets in classic...

What do other people think / remember? Am I just misremembering, or does spell aggro seem off to you guys as well?

Asap
02-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Pet aggro is majorly screwed atm, but it has recently been addressed by some of the Devs. It was nerfed ~2 years ago because raid mobs were being taken down with a slew of pets

baalzy
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
I feel like debuffs grant too much hate

Swish
02-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Its probably not this, but don't forget rogues will evade and put themselves to the bottom of the aggro list every so often.

I've seen a monk pull in KC, bring it to the camp, enchanter tashes, rogue backstabs, rogue evades... mob goes for enchanter.

For another thread, but if you had a SK tanking it would be locked on him, but SKs don't get groups on this server because of the min/max assholes.

Danth
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Aggro is flaky here. You'll get used to it.

You had a Paladin tanking and he couldn't hold aggro? If this was 2010 and Flash of Light was still broken, I'd sympathize. However, the spell works now and has for some time. Your tank wasn't using his spells enough. Either he was out of mana or he was simply slacking. Ask him if he was having mana problems next time you talk to him.

Pet aggro is reduced here due to issues with them in raids as noted above.

Danth

Clark
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
I feel like debuffs grant too much hate

webrunner5
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Wait till he groups with a Warrior tank!! :D

Byrjun
02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I agree with Danth. With a Paladin tanking, you shouldn't be pulling aggro at 50% with a single tash, as long as you were keeping a bit of distance from the mob.

Imo, there's two things wrong with aggro on P99:

1. "White damage" doesn't generate enough aggro. This is one of the reasons that tanks are so reliant on mallets and proccing on p99.

2. Pets don't generate nearly enough aggro.

Debuff aggro feels accurate on my shaman.

khanable
02-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Debuff should generate hate that is scaled with the mobs hp

Which is why enchanters got dead a lot with velious targets for the first few months until the aggro revamp

baalzy
02-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Debuff should generate hate that is scaled with the mobs hp

Which is why enchanters got dead a lot with velious targets for the first few months until the aggro revamp

From what I understand, here, any type of negative effect left on the mob gives 500 hate. Stun/Snare/Debuff of some kind & I believe DoTs too.

Pretty sure it wasn't a static value across all spells just because they held that type of status change. Especially DoTs such as Splurt which are pure damage only and have no other negative effects.

Velerin
02-21-2014, 04:01 PM
One thing I noticed is the malosi line and cancel magic line have a lot more aggro then they did on live. Tash/slow etc should be big aggro but cancel magic and malo line should be pretty close to nil.

Asap
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
So, have pets cast debuffs instead of DD's. Aggro problem solved :p

Dweed
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Something that't is useful, if you initiate aggro on a mob with the spell, that spell generates less aggro. Example, you could pull with tash or slow and a melee (or pet) could take aggro easier.

Danth
02-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Again, if you have a Paladin tank and he isn't OOM, you shouldn't have aggro problems. Same with Shadow Knights. If I pull something resistant, my wife's Shaman can immediately Malo then spam Turgur's back to back to back, half a dozen times in a row or more if necessary as fast as she can cast it, and she won't get touched. Then she can load up Cripple and as many damage spells as she can and spam them all until they land then sit down next to the target and still won't get touched. I have three Paladins and an SK on P1999 at various levels ranging up to 60 and played a Paladin on Live for an extended period of time. I know what I'm talking about. Either your Paladin tank was out of mana or being a bit lazy. It could be either; some tank players don't care if they lose aggro sometimes as long as nobody actually dies.

Note that the initial attack that "wakes up" a mob and causes it to aggro is capped at virtually no hate. Sometimes it's beneficial to simply let the Shaman or Enchanter pull with a debuff. This is particularly the case when you're using tanks who have little to no immediate front-loaded hate generation--Warriors an to a lesser degree Monks.

As for Warriors, I sort of feel bad for them. Even grouped with Epic Warriors at level 60 the wife's Shaman still pulls aggro slowing at 50-60% as often as not. Tough, resistant mobs that require multiple casts? Forget it, slowing is suicide.

Danth

khanable
02-21-2014, 04:31 PM
From what I understand, here, any type of negative effect left on the mob gives 500 hate. Stun/Snare/Debuff of some kind & I believe DoTs too.

Pretty sure it wasn't a static value across all spells just because they held that type of status change. Especially DoTs such as Splurt which are pure damage only and have no other negative effects.

Yea, here the values are static I believe. The way I described it is how it should be - this all relates back to the warrior epic (the proc was originally a debuff). Original hate generation numbers that I found were wildly different than they are now (ykesha being 800 some hate, etc).

Looks we are on the post hate revamp numbers, which is sad:(

Not classic