PDA

View Full Version : NPC Spawn Issue: Martar & Karg Icebear spawning

BarackObooma
02-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I moved this to it's own thread from the Goblin caster thread so it doesn't get bypassed for discussion.

On live, Martar and Karg were seperate spawns (and sometimes were both up at the same time and fought each other). They were not on a 8 hour timer they had PHs. You could see them respawn within 5-10 minutes (whatever Everfrost's respawn rate is).

Patch Notes - Sunday, March 28th 2010
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4854

Nilbog: Karg and Martar Icebear will now be 8 hour spawns +/- 2 hours.

So if they are seperate spawns (aren't the PH for each other), even if killed immediately, you should see one or the other an average of once every 4 hours.

I saw one of each over a weeks time playing probably 40 hours tracking every time the button repopped on a Ranger.

Most of the times I played, the only people high enough in the zone to be able to kill them were at Ice Giants. I never saw another Ranger and the Druids were all low/mid 20s killing mammoths. I should have seen them 5x each on average.

My main on live was a Druid and I remember killing Martar several times a night too so I doubt they were on a timer at all but had PHs (not each other either).

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=658
Post from 2000 saying both Karg and Martar were up at the same time so they shouldn't be PHs for each other (in case they are here).

"This guy is tough. I've heard rumors that he only spawns when Karg Icebear has been killed, but I don't think that is true becausewhen I got my cloak from Karg, I turned around and got a fist full of Martar fist. Very nasty surprise. I only had around 250 hp at the time and he dropped me like a small child drops an expensive item in a glass shop. Stay away from him unless your lvl 38 or higher."

Here is a post from one of those forum experts (their name in green) from 2001:

"Sometimes, by the grace of the gods, another beast will spawn in his place. I have seen such forms as a "ice goblin whelp" and " a polar bear cub" spawn in his absence. It is most unusual to see a cub so far out on the tundra near the Mammie Ruins - slay it and head for the Perma Frost gate and keep tracking."

On Karg:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=3611

"Im not so sure about the long time between spawns listed above. Yesterday I was doing the lupine claw quest and was able to track Karg 3 separate times in 4 real time hours. I did the claw quest twice and he disappeared both times. I'm not sure if doing the quests increases his spawn rate or if he spawns more frequently than people realize. "

From 2000 on multiple spawns in a short time period.
"Last night 2 people spent all day camping for him. Then someone killed martyr and he spawned about 15-30min later. About 45 min after that martyr spawned again my groupie was his target he ran him to snowflake's group and had him killed. again 15-30 min later karg spawned this time i got 2 polar bear cloaks then a highbee killed him. A third time martyr spawned a highbee took him out just after he ripped me up. Then about 15-30 min later karg was spotted at the north tower all of these were seen near the north tower on the innorruk server between 7pm and 10pm systime not sure exactly we were camping the orc shamans"

Another from 2000 saying they were both up at the same time and fighting each other!
"First he is Even at 35th lvl.
Second, Martar is definitely NOT a place holder for Karg. I've seen them fight. Karg of course won hands down. He's not too tough if you kite but hand to hand he's rough.
Also, he's not a rare spawn but seems to come in waves. I've Killed him three times in an hour before, while killing Martar twice in the same time. I've also looked for him for hours and not seen him. "

Another person killing Martar 3x in an hour:
"Ok, i have been trying to find Karg and have had no luck what-so-ever. I'm trying to get the Werewolf Cloak quest done. Spent 4 hrs again last night running in circles, but no spawns. But Martar popped up three times in the first hour that i was on, killed him each time and after that he never spawned again either. Another player said that both Martar and Karg are just random spawns and you never know when. Anyone have any other opinons on this theory? By the way, Martar was blue to my lvl40 druid, so atleast i am still getting some exp out there."

I saw someone's post that said he despawns after you turn in quest items but this one refutes it (and again mentions both being up at the same time):

"Had the fortune to track both Karg and Martar at the same time in EF a few days ago. There is doubt among some that they can spawn simultaneously. They can.

Interestly, Karg dropped TWO of the big GZ swords. Surprised me anyway.

Another time with a lower level character, I was able to negotiate 3 of the Polar bear cloaks off of Karg, who then continued on his merry way, not despawning."

BarackObooma
02-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Bump for a reply

BarackObooma
02-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Still waiting for a response. :)

BarackObooma
04-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Bump - still want more Icebear lovin'

Deridin
05-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Bump! As someone who's trying to get the tishan kilt I think this is worth looking at

Whoa2323
11-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Bump. Curious about this as well.

Lagaidh
03-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Bump- this still appears to be the case. Several on red can't quest him.

Coridan
06-09-2015, 09:01 AM
I would like more info on this as well, just so I can turn in the damn werewolf cloak quest

nilbog
06-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Pending update:

-Implemented a new spawn method for Karg/Martar
-Karg and Martar can both be up at the same time
-Killing npcs can trigger either a Karg or Martar
-Karg and Martar will fight each other if possible

Leo
08-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Never had trouble finding Karg before the patch (august 9th, 2015), I have plenty of werewolf cloak to prove it.

But now I cant find Karg anymore, even after doing some large mob cleaning.

Then I was only looking for like 5 hours on 3 different days so it might just be bad luck.
But I can find Martar up every times I goes a bit south of krag area, exactly where I was used to see her before the patch, saw her being killed and saw her again after. And I don't even kill stuff in this area!
Is something broken?

nilbog
08-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Looks like Karg has been up for 2 days. I see him walking around Everfrost on the pve server.

Try looking in different areas and/or tracking.