PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Sneaking and Hiding

Haynar
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
I need a summary on how these should work. I never played a rogue.

What breaks Hide?

What breaks Sneak?

If you post me a link to another thread, I will ignore it.

Links are great to back up your arguement.

I need a list of how they are supposed to work.

H

maximum
02-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Something like this?

This is assuming your skill level is 200:

Hide breaks if you move and are not Sneaking at the same time.

Sneak breaks if an NPC hits you.

Sneak breaks if you land a melee hit.

Sneak breaks if you cast a spell.

Also, Monks have Sneak skill. Their skill classically caps at 113, so it has a failure rate.

Kender
02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
only rogues can move while sneak/hide (halflings get both skills regardless of class)

Haynar
02-17-2014, 07:01 PM
I need those kind of specifics.

Spells land on you. What breaks if resisted? What breaks if beneficial? What breaks if not resisted, detrimental?

Nocte
02-17-2014, 08:20 PM
I need those kind of specifics.

Spells land on you. What breaks if resisted? What breaks if beneficial? What breaks if not resisted, detrimental?

Beneficial Spells landed do not break Sneak.
Detrimental Spells cast by NPCs landed or resisted should break Sneak
Detrimental Spells accidentally cast by another player, in non-PvP situations (i.e. the "tries to cast on you, but you are protected" message) should not break Sneak.
Looting corpses should break Sneak.

Ele
02-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Safehouse has two different guides a hide/sneak guide and a general rogue guide. Both have similar information, but the General guide has a last edited date of Mid-Velious 7/2001. The hide sneak guide has a Pre-Kunark last edited date. Between these dates bard songs and beneficial spells were changed to not break hide.

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2855
Last edit: 3/31/00 2:58:05 pm

From the Safehouse guide to sneak and hide:

List of reasons hide will break
Bard Song
Area of Effect (AOE) Spells
Someone casts a spell on you
Looting a corpse
Dealing with a merchant/banker
Successful Instill Doubt
Pickpocket (success OR fail)
Zoning or logging out

Bonus:
List of Creatures That Can See Through Hide
Dragons (Vox and Nagafen)
Fire Giants
Scorn Banshees
Lichs
Loathing Lichs
Evil Eyes
Huge Elemental (Lower Guk)

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2865

Last Update: July 27th, 2001

2.4.1 What can knock me out of hiding?
Your own party members are the biggest risk here. Any spell cast upon you, beneficial or otherwise will knock you out of hiding. This can be extremely dangerous when scouting. A Bard's songs can be a Rogue's worst enemy when sneaking! When scouting for your party, let your group know to not cast on you or use bard songs. Other player's spells can also knock you out of hiding.

Spells and bard songs cast on you will no longer knock you out of hiding unless they are cast by mobs or enemy players in PvP.

Looting corpses (even your own) will also knock you out of hiding, so greed can get you killed if the area is not clear. When trying to recover your own corpse, use the /corpse command to drag your body to a safer spot before looting. Dragging corpses will not ruin your hide.

Picking Pockets and Disarming Traps will also ruin your hide, so be careful!

Edited by: Shadowcross at: 7/27/01 7:25:17 am

maximum
02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/s...ead.php?t=2865

Last Update: July 27th, 2001

Quote:

2.4.1 What can knock me out of hiding?
Your own party members are the biggest risk here. Any spell cast upon you, beneficial or otherwise will knock you out of hiding. This can be extremely dangerous when scouting. A Bard's songs can be a Rogue's worst enemy when sneaking! When scouting for your party, let your group know to not cast on you or use bard songs. Other player's spells can also knock you out of hiding.

Spells and bard songs cast on you will no longer knock you out of hiding unless they are cast by mobs or enemy players in PvP.

Looting corpses (even your own) will also knock you out of hiding, so greed can get you killed if the area is not clear. When trying to recover your own corpse, use the /corpse command to drag your body to a safer spot before looting. Dragging corpses will not ruin your hide.

Picking Pockets and Disarming Traps will also ruin your hide, so be careful!

Edited by: Shadowcross at: 7/27/01 7:25:17 am

As a Rogue, looting breaks Hide, but you could re-Hide while looting. I don't think Sneak got broken with a mob loot or a self corpse loot.

Jimjam
02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah, mobs wouldn't immediately notice you on hide break. If you reclick hide in half a second or so after opening the loot window you'd be safe.

maximum
02-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah, mobs wouldn't immediately notice you on hide break. If you reclick hide in half a second or so after opening the loot window you'd be safe.

I think this has to do with server tick. On Live, I used to pickpocket sand giants in Oasis, and re-hide quickly and slink away with no harm.

CodyF86
02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi Haynar,

Here is something I found interesting, but it could be classic, just thought I'd mention it because I'm not sure. Currently throwing a ranged weapon while invised (which breaks invis) also breaks sneak, but you can just click off invis first then throw a ranged weapon with sneak intact.

Took me a long time to figure out wtf was going on. lol =) Like I said, it could be completely classic, but thought I'd mention it if anyone can find any classic info. :)

Aaradin
Aaradone
The A-Team

maximum
03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Bump. I've seen other bug posts about this. Update this thread with data, please.

maximum
08-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Bump 2018.