PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Feign Death?

woodlone
02-16-2014, 03:19 AM
something is seriously wrong with FD, or MY FD....it's failing about 75% of the time..I just had It fail 4x in a row in seb "denz has fallen to the ground" this is retarded and definitely not classic, and I don't recall it doing that before the most recent patch

quido
02-16-2014, 03:23 AM
l2fd bro

Nocsucow
02-16-2014, 03:26 AM
shits classic

woodlone
02-16-2014, 07:15 AM
No I have played monk since beta-1 all through the entire game up till current and there's nothing classic about getting five and six "has fallen to the ground" messages in a row so frequently, never happened on live.

TWDL_Prexus
02-16-2014, 10:34 AM
shits classic

FD seems perfectly fine on my monk.

JayN
02-16-2014, 10:41 AM
damn man turn auto attack off first!

also can we get one SS of it even failing 4 times in a row?

CodyF86
02-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Make a new hotkey / whatever that says FD...

/attack off
/doability x (x = number that corresponds with FD on ability bar)
/doability y (y = number that corresponds with sneak on ability bar)

-----

Mine looks like...

/attack off
/doability 3
/doability 4

-----

You'll be sneaking when you stand up as long as sneak doesn't fail, you will fail
fd 75% of the time if you don't turn attack off first as well.

I'll let you use your imagination on why that might be useful. You'll also want to
put the actual sneak button next to your FD hot button, so you can click it off (or on)
when you need to manually.

Aaradin
Aaradone
The A-Team

woodlone
02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
just saying mine is bugged to shit, I'm literally getting 4 - 6 "has fallen to the ground" in a row...constantly, and it wasn't doing this 2 weeks ago. Shit's weird.

and yes I know about the attack off, this is just when im running from shit. Not from spellcasters either, not getting hit after fd, just literally fd is giving the has fallen down error and failing...A LOT

I use that hotkey / macro setup also for mine.

maximum
02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
I think they were working on Spell: Feign Death vs. Feign Death skill. There's another post about it, I believe.

Kender
02-16-2014, 08:41 PM
i had 6 FD fails in a row last week on a 54 monk. was all has fallen to the ground message.

the biggest issue with FD though is high level mobs dont forget you unless they reset. on live they would have a chance and it make flop pulling possible (pull mobs away and FD dance with mobs until some peeled off and forgot you).

now you have to get lucky and hope that some mobs get back to spawn before the stragglers get close enough to them on their way back to proximity agro.

woodlone
02-17-2014, 01:57 AM
oh yea I know how to use the reset perfectly to pull, just this "has fallen to the ground" one after the next shit sucks lol.

tristantio
02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
I had 3 FD in a row with "Fallen to the ground" last night, auto attack was not on.

I've never had it prior (this was on 54 necro).

woodlone
02-18-2014, 06:15 AM
yea something is definitely broken with it, I've started asking around and a lot of other FD classes are confirming my claims.

Sturgeon
02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Can you provide SS's, a video? My 34 Monk hasn't run into this problem when using the FD macro that was recommended earlier in this thread.

Danth
02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure this issue is restricted solely to feign.

My feign spell still seems to work normally. On the other hand I summoned 6 minimum-level pets in a row yesterday, and a Shaman in the group had 7 or 8....pretty unlikely run for what should be about a 1 in 5 chance. P99's random effects just seem generally prone to "sticking" in a fail funk from time to time. I notice the same thing with procs....every now and then they'll just stop working for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

Danth

mrmop520
02-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Always heard FD fails more here than on live... really it just seems to have a danger meter.. only fails when its absolutely critical to not fail :P

Haynar
02-18-2014, 02:38 PM
I checked the fd code and did not see any changes in the code that determines failure. Monk failures still take skill into account.

Haynar

baalzy
02-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I checked the fd code and did not see any changes in the code that determines failure. Monk failures still take skill into account.

Haynar

Any chance you'd look at the mem wipe chances? Seems like mem wipe never happens on roamers(above lvl 32) regardless of how many times you stand/feign. I remember reading that after 5 stand/feigns you should have something like a 92% chance of having wiped agro but that doesn't seem to happen.

Lazie
02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Any chance you'd look at the mem wipe chances? Seems like mem wipe never happens on roamers(above lvl 32) regardless of how many times you stand/feign. I remember reading that after 5 stand/feigns you should have something like a 92% chance of having wiped agro but that doesn't seem to happen.

I get them to memblur just fine. I tested it on different levels of mobs and you can memblur them pretty consistently. Just takes time on some.

Haynar
02-18-2014, 04:40 PM
I get them to memblur just fine. I tested it on different levels of mobs and you can memblur them pretty consistently. Just takes time on some.

The repeat count to have higher chance to blur is not coded. So it needs added to increase chance, keeping track how many times you flopped.

Kender
02-18-2014, 06:18 PM

if they reset it's fine, but if they are still getting back to spawn they almost never forget you

also... level of mob makes a huge difference
lower level mobs always forget. higher level mobs (45+) almost never forget (except when get back to respawn)

Haynar
02-18-2014, 08:15 PM
35 is always forget point.

I will improve the behavior. FD splitting will become more important in velious.

Menaan
02-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't remember the timeline on all the changes but I've played a monk since 99. From what I recall (sorry don't have any hard evidence just adding what I remember), once the mob resets it should be a 100% mem blur chance. Roamers or non reset mobs are something like 30% chance. Or alternatively after being FD for 2 minutes all mobs 100% mem blur. I know that 2 minute thing was added at some point but I don't remember when, I thought it was prior to velious but I could be wrong.

I've seen some cases though where mobs under 35 are not 100% mem blurring, and I thought all mobs under 35 100% mem blurred by this point in the game regardless to whether they were roamers or not.

As for failures, I haven't noticed any more failures than usual on my monk.

Haynar
02-20-2014, 11:54 AM
There is no 2 min timer.

When a mob resets, make sure it finishes rotating.

Last I checked the 35 limit worked 100% long as u were out of aggro range.

Roamers may need to path a bit before they forget you. But eventually they will.

Menaan
02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
There is no 2 min timer.

When a mob resets, make sure it finishes rotating.

Last I checked the 35 limit worked 100% long as u were out of aggro range.

Roamers may need to path a bit before they forget you. But eventually they will.

I've been trying to find out when they added the 2 minute timer and I can't find it in patch notes anywhere. I can't even find the patch notes when the added the message for 2 the minute timer, but based on other posts by people that I have found, I'm pretty sure the message was added in February of 2004.

I've found a few people recounting that they remember the mem wipe after 2 minutes before velious as well. It's been so long though... Only thing I can find concrete is a set of notes from November 16th 1999 that weren't documented as patch notes but were notes on a popup in game as you logged in. That is when they made the changes to mem wiping on return and the chances to forget for non returned mobs or roamers. The official December 1st 1999 patch notes reference the November 16th notes concerning the changes. I'm wondering if the 2 minute mem wipe was simply an undocumented feature during that change, because I can't find it mentioned in any other patch notes. Although, it does seem odd that they would take a little over 4 years to add the forgot you message if this were the case. But I do remember 99% for sure that the 2 minute mem wipe was in before the message was added, because SKs and necros used to use their pet poofing as a sign that the 2 minutes was up when there was no message. Most monks used a hotkey with /time after /doability so that they had a time stamp to go off of.

I distinctly remember taking advantage of the 2 minute mem wipe in lguk when it was worth camping gear there, but it's possible that the memory is from a progression server or something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here are the notes from November 16th that state the percentages at that time for incrementing when FD flopping and such. You guys have probably already seen this, but figured it can't hurt to be sure.

> November 16th, 4:30pm
> ---------------------
>
> Feign Death was recently changed by the Tuning Team to reflect evolving
> gameplay issues. Since two of the three classes that get Feign Death get
it
> through spells, I thought this might be a good place to explain the
changes.
>
> Previously, when you used Feign Death (and assuming you cast the spell
> successfully or, in the case of the Monk, made your skill roll) hostile
> monsters would decided that you were dead and wander off. When you later
> got up, they would still remember that they were angry with you. If you
> were within sight, they would immediately come after you. If not, they
> would come after you at some later point. This might happen within a few
> minutes, or could happen even a few hours later. The only way to be
> absolutely sure that a monster had forgotten about you was to zone.
>
> With our new changes, about a third of the time that you successfully
Feign
> Death, the monster will immediately forget about you, similar to an
> Enchanter casting Memory Blur. If they do NOT forget about you, they will
> immediately come after you when you stand up. No more monsters coming
back
> at irregular amounts of time - it should be immediate or not at all.
>
> This is a change - the old way, if you Feigned Death a SINGLE TIME, the
> monster would ALWAYS remember you. This way, they remember you about
> two-thirds of the time.
>
> Using the old Feign Death, you could Feign Death multiple times to try to
> confuse the monster. After about seven or eight times doing this, most
> monsters would eventually forget they were mad at you.
>
> With the new Feign Death, if you Feign Death once the monster has about a
> percent chance of remembering you. Twice and the monster has about a 50
> percent chance of remembering you. Four times means about 20 percent, and
> six times means about 8 percent. This is very similar to the old Feign
> Death.
>
> Another addition to the new Feign Death involves a monster "going home."
> When you Feign Death, most monsters will return to where they were before
> the fight. If a monster returns to its initial location, it will
> immediately forget about you greater then 90 percent of the time.
> Therefore, if you Feign Death and stay down long enough for a monster to
"go
> home," you should be safe when you stand up a majority of the time. If
the
> monster IS still mad at you, it will return immediately, rather then
> wandering back later at some irregular interval.
>
>
> *FEIGN DEATH UPDATE*
>
> After further testing and watching these changes on the Live verses the
Test
> Server, we will bechanging Feign Death again on the next patch.
>
> New changes will make it so that if the creature is less than level 35,
the
> monster will always forget about you. If the creature greater then level
> then the monster will use the changes detailed above.
>
> - The EverQuest Team

Treats
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
There was no timer on the EQMac server where an NPC would forget you.

Tested this on a guard in West Freeport.

Aggroed Roaming Guard (I forget his name, he paths from NFP zoneline to Gates) Level 40

Stayed Feigned for 15 minutes

Got up, reaggroed instantly

Nirgon
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
35 is always forget point.

I will improve the behavior. FD splitting will become more important in velious.

Yeah Amen brotha. Vindi split or the prenerf Vulak pull "sploit" divided the real men from the boys in the monk community.

Haynar
02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah Amen brotha. Vindi split or the prenerf Vulak pull "sploit" divided the real men from the boys in the monk community.
I was always a backup puller to the monks. That Vindi pull was fun. Loved it when all the monks died and I got to step up and show em how its done (or die trying).

Haynar

Wrathis
02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Figured id post my SS of me failing FD 4 times in a row in HS.

http://i.imgur.com/jejGdyw.jpg

Wrench
02-21-2014, 04:55 PM
i see the problem here....

luclin models

Kender
02-22-2014, 03:53 PM
I was always a backup puller to the monks. That Vindi pull was fun. Loved it when all the monks died and I got to step up and show em how its done (or die trying).

Haynar

i used to test myself on vindi split by doing it unbuffed. my monk trainees thought i was crazy

woodlone
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
yea good times, I'm an oldschool beta I monk for my entire eq career also (all the way up until a year ago) Pulled some of the most fun shit in the game. Former Monk of Afterlife on Mithaniel Marr. Speaking of which, if any of my fellow AL members are on here, a few of us were talking about a little reunion soon.

Scrubosaur
02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Having problems with FD in Rathe Mountains. FD failed 3 times in a row, 4th time went off, and then I spent a mana bar trying to FD a hill giant that would not forget me. While using up the mana bar FD seemed to fail 30% of the time. Prior to this I had only seen a few fail and I use the skill often. I know the skill is 100% but 1 in 3 failures is pretty rough.