PDA

View Full Version : race for warrior

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 08:27 PM
not sure what race I should choose to make a new warrior . im used to being a lighty - know all the zones etc. whats in my best interest and where is best to pump points into?

sox7d
02-15-2014, 08:36 PM
here's a good starting point.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Warrior

To max out, go ogre. To be hipster, go dark elf.

Or just play whatever's coolest.

Teako
02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Ogre will unfortunately be the only one people consider you a "real tank" as, due to double the starting stats (literally), and stun immunity from the front.

That being said, I feel you should play whatever race you're most accustomed to, or want to play the most regardless of what people say about it. (:

Swish
02-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Not to be min/max about it (as I hate people who won't group with hybrids etc) but there's noticeable gap in the CH time between a DE warrior and an ogre warrior. Mana efficiency etc.

Not a problem though, keep a dark elf warrior symbol'd to bridge the gap and life's good ;)

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
I know this server isn't Fippy and has many differences, but I MT'd in a competent raiding guild during the classic trio on that server as a DE warrior. I did just fine, but let me tell you I had to be geared to the hilt to stay ahead of the Ogre war just behind me on the depth chart. He was almost equal to me with noticeably worse gear. If I were to play a war on this server I'd go Ogre just to save myself the hassle.

I remember quite vividly the feelings of pressure in that I didn't want even one piece of suspect gear in any slot, or I'd feel like my "job" would be on the line to tubby. I had an absolute blast on that server and as a DE warrior (so badass), but I had to be a total neckbeard about it if I aspired to be anything more than a trash tank.

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
so troll is still significantly worse than ogre?

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
so troll is still significantly worse than ogre?

I'd rather be a Troll for the 1-59 grind. It's really up to you man, that was just my experience the last time I played a tank. You know what you're looking to do here. If you're here purely for fun play whatever the hell you want. If you're looking to raid, then your decision requires a little more thought. That's all.

I was recovering from a bad accident a few years back when I got into Fippy. I had literally 24 hours a day to play and that's why when I rolled I couldn't have cared less what race I picked in terms of advantages/disadvantages.

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
due to hp regen?

Swish
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
The regen is negligible if you're grouping 90% of the time with a healer, which you should be ;)

Dweed
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Halfing! dwarf armor, hide, sneak, higher dex, and sex appeal.

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 09:39 PM
The regen is negligible if you're grouping 90% of the time with a healer, which you should be ;)

Very valid point.

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 09:43 PM
but do ogres look cool at 60?? what do they look wuith with plate helm on???

Swish
02-15-2014, 09:44 PM
but do ogres look cool at 60?? what do they look wuith with plate helm on???

Some rhino-esque type spikes on their helm. Check EC tunnel, chances are there's a plate helm ogre sat in there.

khanable
02-15-2014, 09:46 PM
iksar

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 09:47 PM
my only problem with ogre is no idea where to exp. used to CB till like 15 then unrest= p

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 10:00 PM
anyone have a recommended leveling path for ogre/troll?

Swish
02-15-2014, 10:08 PM
1-4: Local area, whatever you can find.
5-9(?) Outside Guk in Innothule, moving to the mini crocs further along the wall.
9-14: Upper Guk: Starting at the first mobs, then moving to the crocs in there. Go in, go down the first hallway, turn right... into the water and swim around. They're not kos. Avoid the spiders if possible!

Always works best with a warrior if you can find a shaman or other healer that can go along, but it's doable.

Or run the gauntlet to the EC tunnel and see if you can find a wizard who'll port you and bind you in Greater Faydark. Problem with that is you won't have access to a warrior trainer until you go back.

khanable
02-15-2014, 10:14 PM
recommended leveling path for ogre:

1: log out
2: delete
3: make iksar
4: 1-8 FoB
5: 8-16 kurns
6: 16-20 behind kurns

etc

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 10:18 PM
why iksar lol?

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 10:21 PM
why iksar lol?

In Velious they're badass.

JayN
02-15-2014, 10:22 PM
ogre five into agi the rest into DEX

Tecmos Deception
02-15-2014, 10:23 PM

Hell yeah. If I made a warrior who wasn't an ogre (which I wouldn't!), it would be a halfling for sneak. Gnome is a distant third for having wallhacks and gogglehelmets in Velious! Pretty sure other races can't even be warriors.

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 10:26 PM
ogre 5 into agil rest into dex is that serious?

Derubael
02-15-2014, 10:26 PM
recommended leveling path for ogre:

1: log out
2: delete
3: make iksar
4: 1-8 FoB
5: 8-16 kurns
6: 16-20 behind kurns

etc

khanable
02-15-2014, 10:29 PM
why iksar lol?

Tails

and we look like ninja's in velious

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Derubael:

Is Ban Hammer MQable?

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 10:38 PM
well I guess ogre it is since everyone seems to think they are best for late game.

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 10:48 PM
well I guess ogre it is since everyone seems to think they are best for late game.

Are YOU happy with that decision?

SamIamLegend
02-15-2014, 10:48 PM
well id like to be a gnome but I the stats are huge difference - I diont have the gear to make that up

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
02-15-2014, 11:01 PM
well id like to be a gnome but I the stats are huge difference - I diont have the gear to make that upIf you want to be a gnome, be a gnome...

As for stat concerns, any race that can start with 110sta or more will be in good shape. My warrior is a troll with not quite BIS gear and I hit 246 sta with raid buffs from a base of 125. I will easily cap stamina in Velious gear.

Stun immunity is not a big deal for warriors. It's fantastic for SHM and useful for SKs, but doesn't mean so much on a warrior. I would also suggest Barbarian/Troll/Ogre for racial slam... since bash has a higher skill cap than kick and will hit more often (and stuns from level 1, instead of waiting til 55).

jarshale
02-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Real pros play iksar warriors.

stonez138
02-16-2014, 12:43 AM

Don't they get an xp bonus as well?

Swish
02-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Don't they get an xp bonus as well?

Yeah, scumbag race really... too many of the little furry feet bastards around.

JayN
02-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Stun immunity counts for a lot, especially if velious comes out; its the difference between life and death on raid bosses that quad, flurry and or rampage for 900+. While you are stunned you zero chances of dodging, parrying and or riposting.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
02-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Stun immunity counts for a lot, especially if velious comes out; its the difference between life and death on raid bosses that quad, flurry and or rampage for 900+. While you are stunned you zero chances of dodging, parrying and or riposting.
My guild on live killed AoW many times and iirc, we never used an ogre to tank him. If it is an advantage, it's not an insurmountable one. I don't have my logs from back then, but I'd be curious to see how often the stuns happened and how the incoming damage from AoW changed during those periods of time... cause it certainly didn't stop AoW from dying. Stunned or not, max rounds can still happen, and usually the CHEAL rot was tight enough that it didn't matter.

SamIamLegend
02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
ok so ogre it is . putting 5 into agi rest into dex. cant beat that right?

knottyb0y
02-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Troll warriors make great Warriors!

Trolls Starting stats are nearly as high as an Ogre. You will max out your strength pretty easily with decent gear especially when Velious is released. Trolls have 88 starting Agility, vs the Ogre's 75 agiliity. Basically you get near Ogre Stats with nearly as high Agi as a dark elf. A nimble giant.

SamIamLegend
02-16-2014, 08:49 AM
as a troll where would you put your points?

Ferocitas
02-16-2014, 09:33 AM
ogre five into agi the rest into DEX

Is this serious? If so what is the logic?

Faerie
02-16-2014, 09:59 AM
On live I made it up to my 50s with 2 regular tanks: wood elf warrior and high elf paladin. Then when I joined a raiding guild, we seemed to have like 4 dark elf warriors and one half elf. Our ogres were all shaman and SKs for some reason... but we managed!

Never play a race for stats imo.

knottyb0y
02-16-2014, 10:40 AM
As a troll dump your 25 points into stamina. This will give you the following starting attributes

STR 118 STA 144 AGI 88 DEX 75 INT 52 CHA 40

Slam Ability because you are large
Regen
and nearly as much hp as your average ogre warrior by straight stats.

You won't be immune to frontal stun and you are losing out on some strength vs a naked ogre, but there are plenty of STR and STA warrior wearable items you should be able to have both those stats close to the cap without too much trouble.

SamIamLegend
02-16-2014, 10:45 AM
everyone else says put points into dex. why are you saying stamina?

Daldaen
02-16-2014, 10:50 AM
CHA seems to be the best option, DI is important for AoW guys.

knottyb0y
02-16-2014, 10:54 AM
I say dump into stamina for the extra HP in comparison to an Ogre Warrior. a Dex based Troll Warrior has very good starting stats as well. I am not certain of the exact bonus the extra dex has on weapon proc-rate and critical hits, but they do add a bonus.

A troll that dumped all stats into dex would have

STR 118 STA 119 AGI 88 DEX 100

those look to be some solid starting stats.

Personally I put 10 into DEX and 15 into STAMINA

Alde
02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Never play a race for stats imo.

and go CHA for Velious.

heartbrand
02-16-2014, 10:58 AM
AoW will die day one here

Daldaen
02-16-2014, 11:02 AM
AoW will die day one here

Maybe. Will need multiple charmed giants and everyone else playing a cleric.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
02-16-2014, 03:47 PM
FWIW, my starting stats were

120str 125sta 90agi 90dex

As I said, I hit 246 stamina buffed. Starting with 140+ stamina will be wasteful in Velious gear.

mrmop520
02-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Will recommend Halfling like i do for everyone :P Sneak alone is a huge benefit--makes you an excellent tagger and puller. Dwarven armor with amazing stats /mr, as well as hide, xp bonus, and hobbit steez. Would never roll ogre ;)

Clark
02-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Ogre.

Bill Tetley
02-17-2014, 10:15 AM
woof elf

Faerie
02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
This is a tough one I've pondered over quite a bit in the past. It really comes down to dark elf, gnome, half elf, halfling, human (I guess), iksar and wood elf. This is because: dwarves are awful and easily the worst possible choice for any character; largely because they're so ugly. Ogres are trolls are big and awkward to play, and everyone is either an ogre or troll. Barbarians just aren't great... pretty big still, and you wouldn't expect one to be graceful.

Dark elf is an awesome choice because they get hide, which as a warrior is an indispensable skill. Dark elves objectively have the worst starting stats, though if we're just playing a numbers game I'd rank them over gnome for hide. EQ is not a numbers game though, and dark elves are one of the absolute coolest races this game has. They look supercool in plate armor, and their deity choices allow for a surprising range of RP options.

As a follower of Innoruuk you can play the evil and hate-filled dark elf stereotype, which is always fun. Rallos Zek allows for an expression of that warrior spirit, and as an agnostic you can be anything from super evil to Drizzt-like hero of Tunare. On live my warrior was Rallos (because dwarves suck) dark elf, and I leveled her painfully as anti-pk in gfay from level 1.

Gnome is another top choice, because as the smallest race you're automatically badass. They look really cool in plate as well, and through tinkering get gnome-only armors in Velious that offer fun battery rechargeable clickies. Playing as a 55+ gnome warrior in Velious can be a unique experience because you have the option of carrying around batteries and a toolbox with your gnome armor, and doing things like self haste and sow.

Agnostic and Brell are "meh" choices for a gnome; but Rallos gives the mental image of a bloodthirsty (and deadly) anklebiter, and Bertoxxulous is one of the most unique deities to choose from. Being a tiny EVIL little gnome looking to spread disease and famine across the lands is hard to pass up, and Bertox gnome easily jumps near the top of my "best warrior" list.

Half elves are as always a great race, but I wouldn't choose one over wood elf unless I really wanted a unique deity or bell bottoms/short hair. They look great in plate, and my druid is half elf for the look. Of those listed here, half elves tie with iksar as having the second best stats (though half elves have higher cha, which matters pretty much not at all).

Where this race really shines is in deity selection and RP range. Thanks in large part to their human blood, their choices are: agnostic, Bertoxxulous, Erollisi Marr, Innoruuk, Karana, Mithaniel Marr, Prexus, Rallos Zek, Rodcet Nife, The Tribunal, and Tunare. Interestingly, they are the only warriors who worship Prexus.

Tons of unique ways to go here; being an evil Innoruuk worshipping character with elven blood is awesome. Best choices: Bertox, Inny, Erollisi, Rodcet, Tunare and Prexus.

Halflings have the best stats out of all the worthwhile warriors, and they get hide and SNEAK! The only warriors to get the useful sneak skill, which is huge. Also exp bonus. The males look pretty awesome in plate, but the female models don't, unfortunately. It's great fun to roleplay as a halfling, because they're awesome! Halflings know how to throw a party and have a good time. This option used to be much more viable back on live, but now that everyone is a min/maxer you see almost as many halfling warriors as you do troll :(

Deity options are agnostic, Brell and Rallos. Brell and agnostic are *yawn*, so your best bet is to be a silly pie eating warmonger.

Humans are sort of okay. They don't look completely terrible in plate, and their starting stats are better than that of the dark elves, gnomes and wood elves. They're blind which is actually a big deal. A big deity selection available to them.

Agnostic, Bertoxxulous, Erollisi Marr, Innoruuk, Karana, Mithaniel Marr, Rallos Zek and Rodcet Nife. Any of these choices is fine, though it's going to be kinda hard to spice up the bland flavor of the human race. I suggest Rodcet or Erollisi if you want to be good, and Bertox if you're looking to be evil. There are too few Bertox warriors in Norrath.

Iksar are tied with half elves as having the second best stats (though lower cha), and in Velious when they are given plate armor sets they become the best min/max tank because of their AC bonus. They get the coveted forage skill, which is a lot cooler than most people realize. An iksar warrior will never need to buy food, and foraging is actually a lot of fun. HP regen is also a big bonus, especially while leveling up. They are the only good warriors that have an xp penalty, but warriors get a slight xp bonus for some reason anyway so it's pretty negligible. They look very cool, and have unique animations. Not being able to use Cobalt is a bit of a downer, but it's not really a gamebreaker.

The biggest downside to the iksar race is that they don't get any fun deity selections. Cazic is boring, and even agnostic would be preferable. They lose a lot of points for this, but they still remain one of the top contenders.

Wood elf is likely your best bet, assuming you're anything like me. They get hide and forage, which have practical and RP purposes. I like to forage and give out my rabbit meat to friends, because a proper elf doesn't eat meat. A few fun choices for deity, though the obvious best option is Tunare.

Agnostic, Karana, Rallos, Tunare. Tunare is the #1 choice.

Ihova
02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
It does not matter what race you pick.
All have advantages/disadvantages.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics

Look at experince and starting stats.
Four things to consider. It is hard to cap stamina on gear alone until velious
raid gear if your not an Ogre. Ikkies have small ac/regen bonus
and trolls have regen bonus. They not that important once
well geared though. Weight penalty for lower str when low lvls without twink gear.
The last thing to consider is exp bonus/penalties, small
races having bonus and large having penalties.

Stat str/stam/agi/dex in that order for small races.
Stat agi/stam/dex for large races.

Str is easily maxxed late game, dex/stam being a second close during Vel, and the agi being hardest to max with the str/sta being priority.

Diety (RZek always for cultural gear though not important unless Luclin is released.)

(Someone also mentioned slam, alot of mobs past 50 become unstunnable though I am not sure if the slam mechanic adds aggro for its stun chance???)

Roy
02-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I was a dwarf warrior for 5 years, main tanked all of Velious - GoD. Don't need to be an ogre to be viable, be what you want.

Lamil
02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Iksar warrior.. that is the only choice

joejccva71
02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Iksar warrior.. that is the only choice

That is the worst choice. ;)

Dwarf or Ogre.