PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Languages

Dirtnap
08-07-2010, 04:02 AM
My guild was playing with languages and we found that when you speak a language, you dont gain skill in it. In live you gained skill be hearing, and speaking a language.

As of right now you have to learn monster tongues by putting 100 points into it, or by learning it from someone else who has.

EDIT: You also dont learn them from monsters themselves, as you did in live.

Davardo
08-07-2010, 04:17 AM
I recall gnolls, goblins, and the like teaching you a little of their languages. What they say may have been in common but you could learn their languages somehow other than a trainer.

Autotune
08-07-2010, 04:20 AM
ah yeah this sucks.

Have to zone back and forth to level up the skill with a partner. :(

Dirtnap
08-07-2010, 04:32 AM
If it can be made that the skill goes up without zoning, then it would work fine the way it is now. But since you have to zone for the skill ups to count, it would just take too much work.

Qaedain
08-07-2010, 04:35 AM
This is the way it worked in classic. If you wanted to see how your language skill has improved, you have to zone. You can also only teach someone a language to one point higher than your own skill, so if you both want to go from level 1 in a language, be prepared to zone hundreds of times.

Dirtnap
08-07-2010, 04:53 AM
That was not classic. I trained my languages a bit back then.

Autotune
08-07-2010, 05:53 AM
gah, learning a language from scratch was horrible.

Davardo
08-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Anyone that skilled languages would know that they did not have to zone, they would remember what me and Autotune just went through.

mmiles8
08-07-2010, 09:14 AM
My guild was playing with languages and we found that when you speak a language, you dont gain skill in it. In live you gained skill be hearing, and speaking a language.

You don't gain a point by speaking it. You can train someone to 1 point higher than your current skill by speaking it. If you could raise your skill by speaking it no one would have ever needed another person to raise their languages.

EDIT: You also dont learn them from monsters themselves, as you did in live.

This was a common eq myth.

Have to zone back and forth to level up the skill with a partner. :(

You have to zone to see the update. You don't have to zone to skill up.

Autotune
08-07-2010, 10:09 AM
You have to zone to see the update. You don't have to zone to skill up.

Yes you do. otherwise we would never of had to zone in the first place.

astarothel
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Languages between players are working as they did in classic.
Language skill gains from interacting with associated NPCs are not, but were exceedingly rare anyways.

mmiles8
08-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes you do. otherwise we would never of had to zone in the first place.

You didn't.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7578&highlight=languages

Autotune
08-07-2010, 11:25 AM
You didn't.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7578&highlight=languages

go put a point or 2 into lizard-man, van shir, or anything that is 0 and then get a friend to help you level it back and forth without zoning.

let me know how that goes.

Dirtnap
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, please go try it to see that it doesnt work that way.

mmiles8
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah you guys were right, just tested it with autotune. This is what happens when I post without doing my homework :o

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/skills.html?skill=12&page=1&howmany=50#msg10225908671147

Was thinking it'd be a bug that had to zone between each skillup, but looks like it's classic. =p

There's conflicting info all over the place, but here's a post from Brut on the topic.

Silvermink
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
I thought in classic it let you teach 2 points over your current skill. The zoning part I do remember. Sony made it progressively easier over time removing zoning then adding the skill ups from talking.