PDA

View Full Version : Do wizards do decent for solo if needed?

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
If not what are other classes that can solo if necessary from 1 - 60? I guess what I want is a class that has that ability. In EQ1 I used to play a chanter, but when I quit they were masters in groups but solo depended highly on the situation.

I tried a necro, which was not for me. Since this is my first character on P1999 that complicates this as I cannot lend my new character a hand financially or through gear.

Swish
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Wizards are fine for solo if you don't mind quadding (with a decent mana pool), or burning a target down and going afk for 5 minutes. I've played with a wizard on red and solo'd to 50 but decided it wasn't my bag...so just gets used as a porter occasionally.

Top soloing classes? In no particular order...

- Druids
- Necromancers
- Enchanters
- Shamans
- Bards (swarm kite)
- Wizards
- Mages (involves a lot of pet destroying due to the 50% damage rule)
- Clerics (with undead nukes, you're a wizard! See the Swish 1-50 cleric solo guide!)
- Monks (less so, unless you have a fungi tunic)
- Shadowknights/Rangers (slow but doable)
- Paladins (ugh)

...shaman is probably the most versatile. Most classes ARE capable, it just comes down to what you want to play.

Shaman/bard/cleric/enchanter is all doable on a low budget... can't speak for some of the others.

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Every class can solo "decently" (or better) from 1-50 except for warrior and rogue. Might be boring blowing up undead with a cleric 1 at a time or slowly beating down mobs with a paladin and having to heal up and med after, but it is still halfway decent xp if you pick your zone and quarry well.

Untwinked wizards are mediocre solo at best, imo, since you won't probably have enough mana to quad consistently from 29-60... and killing 1 target at a time with nukes is, while doable, too slow to call it good. Oh, like Swish said though, it's a pretty nice gig if you like AFKing between kills to do something IRL so you aren't bored with all the med time.

Rec
02-14-2014, 02:37 PM
wizard is really boring

Sturgeon
02-14-2014, 02:37 PM
There's an awesome druid charm guide if you're new and have no gear. I've been following that for my druid and so far so good.

Swish
02-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Untwinked wizards are mediocre solo at best, imo, since you won't probably have enough mana to quad consistently from 29-60... and killing 1 target at a time with nukes is, while doable, too slow to call it good.

It was on red when I did it. I know the XP bonus is in effect there, but the XP wasn't that bad and comparable to a cleric burning a mob down and afk'ing.

Worth looking up "bard diet" on the wiki for some good solo bard targets :)

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 02:41 PM
let me put it this way I prefer take down camps of blues or oranges to reds one at a time. DD is preferred as Dot with the necromancer was kinda slow. This does not cound SK as his Dots are secondary dmg. On a minimal budget as i have none :P

Clark
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Wizard can solo to 60, but Enchanter and Shaman are the strongest solo classes.

Raavak
I can't prove it but I think I mostly solo'd my cleric to 50 faster than if he had been grouped. Groups wipe, chew through all available mobs, puller and tanks go afk, you split experience 6 ways... Give me a nice undead spot by myself and I'll churn out the levels.

Of course my wizard solo'd almost exclusively (near impossible to get a group) until mid-50s then got into AE groups. Steady quad exp isn't so bad... just have movies, Facebook, or a book or something for med time. 51-56 took forever, then I was 60 in no time.

Swish
Wizard/cleric then :)

Burn em down, afk for 5 minutes.

In reality its not that much different from a necromancer who has his own form of clarity as he levels...and the time you'd be afk is spent slowly medding as the mob rots to zero :p

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Something preferably with DD and not DOT. SK does not count as his damage is DOT only secondary. I prefer take camps of blues or single yellow/reds when I solo. That is doubtful with a small budget

Swish
02-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Give me a nice undead spot by myself and I'll churn out the levels.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/amen.gif

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1503/15037917/2425003-4626149846-other.gif

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 02:45 PM
sorry posts are reposting...

Swish
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
I prefer take camps of blues or single yellow/reds when I solo. That is doubtful with a small budget

Do the bard diet (http://wiki.project1999.com/6-Minute_Bard_Diet) with a wizard then. I did it with a base INT pool of 134 and didn't build on that much all the way to 50 :(

Would recommend a dark elf as bards don't like dark elves much anyway, plus you get to hide while afk ;)

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
wouldnt a bard be tough to do on a small budget?

Duckwalk
02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
wouldnt a bard be tough to do on a small budget?

No, gear has very little impact on AE kiting.

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I can't prove it but I think I mostly solo'd my cleric to 50 faster than if he had been grouped. Groups wipe, chew through all available mobs, puller and tanks go afk, you split experience 6 ways... Give me a nice undead spot by myself and I'll churn out the levels.

Of course my wizard solo'd almost exclusively (near impossible to get a group) until mid-50s then got into AE groups. Steady quad exp isn't so bad... just have movies, Facebook, or a book or something for med time. 51-56 took forever, then I was 60 in no time.

Yea I'm working my cleric through levels at the moment and I feel like even with my AFKing it's faster than grouping would be. At 30 I'm doing 5-6 spawns in the Unrest basement before stuff is repopping. Will be quite excited for 34 and a new undead nuke $$.

After 35-40 though I'm not sure what all is decent. I'm debating between LGuk and Spectres in QCatacombs or Feerott? Thoughts?

Also wizards are bad til 29. Mine I rarely play cause root/nuking is so hugely based on luck of root not breaking and whether I have to med or for awhile after 1 or 4 mobs.

Swish
02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
After 35-40 though I'm not sure what all is decent. I'm debating between LGuk and Spectres in QCatacombs or Feerott? Thoughts?

Feerott specs, good to 49-50...unless you happen to be in Qeynos or have a levi item for Oasis :p

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Wizards are fine for solo if you don't mind quadding (with a decent mana pool), or burning a target down and going afk for 5 minutes. I've played with a wizard on red and solo'd to 50 but decided it wasn't my bag...so just gets used as a porter occasionally.

- Druids
- Necromancers
- Enchanters
- Shamans
- Bards (swarm kite)
- Wizards
- Clerics (with undead nukes, you're a wizard! See the Swish 1-50 cleric solo guide!)
- Paladins (ugh)

...shaman is probably the most versatile. Most classes ARE capable, it just comes down to what you want to play.

Shaman/bard/cleric/enchanter is all doable on a low budget... can't speak for some of the others.

Isnt enchanters solo ability defendant on charm, which is kinda unreliable? I played a chanter in old EQ but i mostly grouped.

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Yea I'm working my cleric through levels at the moment and I feel like even with my AFKing it's faster than grouping would be. At 30 I'm doing 5-6 spawns in the Unrest basement before stuff is repopping. Will be quite excited for 34 and a new undead nuke $$.

Also wizards are bad til 29. Mine I rarely play cause root/nuking is so hugely based on luck of root not breaking and whether I have to med or for awhile after 1 or 4 mobs.

thanks for the tip... yeah I do not want something too pain in the ass... at least with a chanter I know what to expect. I have pretty much narroed it down to Shaman/cleric/or enchanter. hmm

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2014, 03:11 PM
I can't prove it but I think I mostly solo'd my cleric to 50 faster than if he had been grouped.

I leveled a cleric 1-50ish solo back before unrest was a popular place to be, and it was MUCH better to solo than be in an average (or even a good group). Still might have been faster to duo/trio with some twinks or a chanter or something, but yeah... normal groups pretty much suck.

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2014, 03:15 PM

34-39/40 = tower in unrest. It's pretty unbeatable.

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Isnt enchanters solo ability defendant on charm, which is kinda unreliable?

Dependent on charm, yes. Unreliable? No.

I mean, you get charm breaks when you don't want them sometimes, and you get streaks of bad luck sometimes, and you play badly sometimes. But it's certainly not a struggle to earn xp just because charmed pets can break charm. Solo chanter isn't necessarily the absolute fastest solo xp, but it's right up there.

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Dependent on charm, yes. Unreliable? No.

I mean, you get charm breaks when you don't want them sometimes, and you get streaks of bad luck sometimes, and you play badly sometimes. But it's certainly not a struggle to earn xp just because charmed pets can break charm. Solo chanter isn't necessarily the absolute fastest solo xp, but it's right up there.

what exactly is the solo expeience of the shaman like? IS it kiting?

Lojik
02-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Untwinked wizards are mediocre solo at best, imo, since you won't probably have enough mana to quad consistently from 29-60... and killing 1 target at a time with nukes is, while doable, too slow to call it good. Oh, like Swish said though, it's a pretty nice gig if you like AFKing between kills to do something IRL so you aren't bored with all the med time.

Just make an erudite wizard and get some relatively cheap + mana items and you're GTG.

Man0warr
02-14-2014, 03:44 PM
what exactly is the solo expeience of the shaman like? IS it kiting?

Dotting and meleeing at lower levels, than root/dotting later on. Sometimes 3-4 mobs at once when you get epic.

Tubben
02-14-2014, 03:48 PM

- Druids
- Necromancers
- Enchanters
- Shamans
- Bards (swarm kite)
- Wizards
- Paladins (ugh)

I miss the rogue in this post :(

webrunner5
02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Enchanter Charm duration and even having it stick to start with is pretty much based on Charisma on here. Need 200 or more to be pretty consistent.

Dezik
02-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I miss the rogue in this post :(

I solo'd my Rogue from 1 - 50 faster than my necro, druid and enchanter.. however, he was quite twinked =)

Atmas
02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Every class can solo "decently" (or better) from 1-50 except for warrior and rogue. Might be boring blowing up undead with a cleric 1 at a time or slowly beating down mobs with a paladin and having to heal up and med after, but it is still halfway decent xp if you pick your zone and quarry well.

The level of gear needed to quad really is nothing special. Twink gear might help you to quad higher level or more resistant creatures but is not needed to quad and level at a rate much faster than conventional groups.

Even at lower levels a crack is the most helpful thing. You can also full speed quad prior to your AoE snare with jboots or a SoW.

Messianic
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Just make an erudite wizard and get some relatively cheap + mana items and you're GTG.

I'd go with +hp gear until about 14-16.

Actually, with even average gear, a wizard can quad kite easily 26 on. I discovered what I called Full-speed quadding at 26 on mammoths in EF. It was incredible exp, and getting snare at 29 was icing. Here's my recommended progression as someone who soloed exclusively to 55:

1-16 - Junk till 4, EC 4-9, Wisps 9-13ish. Do the greater lightstone quest in NK 9-15. Great cash. 13-16 Oasis.

Here's your newb strategy: Find a good twohander; Lost Staff of the scorned or Dagger of Frost are great, great newbie weapons. If you're lucky enough to have a Solist's after 12, this is easymode. Battlecasting (casting between melee strikes) is actually pretty effective. Far more effective than attempting to root nuke at this stage.

16-20 - I did the Heart Spiders in Upper Guk near the Lguk Dead Zoneline since as an erudite I wasn't kos to frogs and could sit and watch them pass me by. Great gems, easy exp. This was pre-kunark, so there might be better places there.
20-24 - This was sort of hard pre-kunark. I did I'd recommend LoIO.
24-31 - Mammoths. Full Speed quad kiting.
31-35 - Giant Skels in rathe mts near lake rathe ZL is what I did. Usually no one around. Safe, easy.
35-42 - The two NK guards on the bridge near the SK zoneline and the two NK guards at the tower. I'd pull the two at the bridge with tempfluxstaff, run full speed to the tower, pull those two, run in circles, snare, have fun. It crushes your qeynos factions obviously. In lieu of this there are a ton of places to do basically the same thing in WW, FM, etc. Giants, Brutes, etc.
42-44 - Yetis in DL.
44-51 - Bloodgills. Bloodgills. Bloodgills. There is absolutely no better soloing in the game for wizards at this level than bloodgills in terms of exp. Why? Bloodgills have a level range one higher than spectres and around 400-600 less hp. It's incredibly easy.
51-53 - Spirocs in TD (I actually discovered a pretty fun way to quad kite DE guards in Neriak - Commons over the water. It's a lot of fun and better exp than spirocs or raptors through 54, but takes some skill)
53-55 - Raptors in TD

Exp slows down so considerably at 55 that I got demoralized and quit. Each quad kite of raptors - even all blues, even with some vicious raptors - is around 1% of a level. And your med times are around 8-10 minutes IIRC. Do the math.

At 55, If you have friends that will get you into good Seb/KC groups, do that instead.

sox7d
02-14-2014, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE(I actually discovered a pretty fun way to quad kite DE guards in Neriak - Commons over the water. It's a lot of fun and better exp than spirocs or raptors through 54, but takes some skill)
[/QUOTE]

elaborate?

Messianic
02-14-2014, 09:55 PM
elaborate?

When you pass through foreign quarter, you come to a place where you pass the POD and through a porticullis there's a bridge. On that bridge, there are 5-8 guards (including roamers) that are mostly blue through 54. If you have lev/sow or jboots and are fairly good at keeping your distance, you can run them around the surface of the water to get them into formation, get max spellcasting distance and snare, aoe, etc.

Last time I was there I saw a monk soloing a bunch of them, so apparently i'm not the only one who knows of those guards.

sox7d
02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
When you pass through foreign quarter, you come to a place where you pass the POD and through a porticullis there's a bridge. On that bridge, there are 5-8 guards (including roamers) that are mostly blue through 54. If you have lev/sow or jboots and are fairly good at keeping your distance, you can run them around the surface of the water to get them into formation, get max spellcasting distance and snare, aoe, etc.

Last time I was there I saw a monk soloing a bunch of them, so apparently i'm not the only one who knows of those guards.

I've tried this a few months ago but couldn't manage to land a snare. did you dip into the water for snare?

fastboy21
02-15-2014, 04:34 AM
answer to op question is yes...wizard are a viable solo class especially when you can not find a grp. it is not very fast and will leave you medding as long or longer than playing. quad kiting can be fun, but i always found it was something i only enjoyed when i couldn't find a grp.

on bright side, you can do a lot of reading while you med on a wizard.

Fregar
02-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Wizard is a good char to level while doing RL stuff, I made one for this reason...
... and it's nice to have a porting char for transfering stuff to alts or EC mule, camping easy spots in dungeons, doing quests.

About ench, charming is not required to solo: you CAN solo with animation; its not the best xp out there but still better/as good than what some other classes get.

Dweed
02-15-2014, 05:30 AM
I didn't read this. But wiz is absolutely incredible for getting RL shit done. Kill 2 mobs and med, quad 4 mobs, then load the dishwasher and med, quadkite and do the laundry. Quad again, then take out the trash.

Most efficient class ever. (as long as you don't want to play for more than 5mins at a time)

Messianic
02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I've tried this a few months ago but couldn't manage to land a snare. did you dip into the water for snare?

That's interesting. I did this more than a year ago.... likely even more than that. They may have changed things. At the time I was able to simply snare them levitating above the surface.

Rzaa
02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Get the new rocksmith game and learn guitar while medding. Think you were good at Guitar Hero? Try a real guitar if you want to be humbled.

Or, if fat, do 5 push-ups for every mob you kill. Then when you see the 400+ axes and swords you've sold to same vendor you wont feel as depressed.

happypants
02-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I've leveled a necro to 50 with a lot of soloing, very easy on this server.

On live i leveled a wizzy to 65 on live, quadding is hella fun but way easier with jboots and tstaff.

Buddy of mine also leveled a mage to 65 with a lot of soloing.

Bards swarm kiting is sexy, and shammys are incredible at soloing too.

Really just find something you like and honestly you can find places to solo, there are a lot of guides on the wiki that will help you figure out where to go.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure look at the guides tab on the left :) hope that helps

sox7d
02-15-2014, 05:38 PM
That's interesting. I did this more than a year ago.... likely even more than that. They may have changed things. At the time I was able to simply snare them levitating above the surface.

haven't tried this, I thought you couldn't cast "through" water

Daldaen
02-15-2014, 05:46 PM
You shouldn't be able to cast on anything not in the same fluid medium as you.

IE if mob is in water or lava, you have to be submerged in it as well. Same goes for being in water and casting on something on land, can't do that.

It was a common strategy to bounce between water and land for PvP due to this mechanic.

Aborath
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Question about Bloodgills: how exactly do you gather these? I went to LoIO the other day, and they just seemed too spread out. This in addition to having to swim seems like it would be too much of a hassle, not to mention that they hit hard (yes, I died). Maybe if I could get my hands on an EB item and max my swimming, it wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, I just don't see why these get so much praise.

Vexenu
02-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Question about Bloodgills: how exactly do you gather these? I went to LoIO the other day, and they just seemed too spread out. This in addition to having to swim seems like it would be too much of a hassle, not to mention that they hit hard (yes, I died). Maybe if I could get my hands on an EB item and max my swimming, it wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, I just don't see why these get so much praise.

There is a trick to it, but once you know how to do it there is little risk. First of all, look at the map below. Notice the four pillars surrounding the oval marked number 8 on the map. Two Bloodgills spawn at the base of each pillar. You must ONLY pull your quad from either the North or South pillars. Do not try to pull from a combination of N/S and E/W. It's either N/N or S/S. The distance is too far to do otherwise (even with 200 swim) and you will get smashed underwater.

To pull the quad, first Lev yourself and obviously SoW/Jboots. Run out over the lake to just above the middle of either the North or South pillars and dive down. Occasionally there is a dark blue barracuda swimming who will agro you so watch for that. When you dive down right in the middle, target a Bloodgill on either pillar, get at max casting range, turn around and face the other pillar, then cast your flux staff. Immediately swim toward the opposite pillar and cast your flux staff on the second pair of Bloodgills, and then make a beeline for the surface. Make sure you break through the surface fully and your lev should kick in, allowing you to run across the top of the water rather than swim. From there it's just a matter of running to shore and snaring, as the Bloodgills will emerge from the water already bunched up.

http://wiki.project1999.com/images/Map_lakeofillomen.jpg

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-20-2014, 02:24 PM

1) go to a reasonable sized pond or lake. Something relatively safe will do.
2) look up and start swimming in circles.
3) hit enter.
4) clean out your car, dust and surface clean your house, put toilet bowl cleaner in toilets, start laundry.
5) come back when first load is done to check progress.
6) move laundry into dryer, start a new load. Vacuum and mops floors.
7) recheck progress, adjust angle or position in lake. Continue till 200.
8) bloodgill
9) ?????
10) profit

baalzy
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
There is a trick to it, but once you know how to do it there is little risk. First of all, look at the map below. Notice the four pillars surrounding the oval marked number 8 on the map. Two Bloodgills spawn at the base of each pillar. You must ONLY pull your quad from either the North or South pillars. Do not try to pull from a combination of N/S and E/W. It's either N/N or S/S. The distance is too far to do otherwise (even with 200 swim) and you will get smashed underwater.

To pull the quad, first Lev yourself and obviously SoW/Jboots. Run out over the lake to just above the middle of either the North or South pillars and dive down. Occasionally there is a dark blue barracuda swimming who will agro you so watch for that. When you dive down right in the middle, target a Bloodgill on either pillar, get at max casting range, turn around and face the other pillar, then cast your flux staff. Immediately swim toward the opposite pillar and cast your flux staff on the second pair of Bloodgills, and then make a beeline for the surface. Make sure you break through the surface fully and your lev should kick in, allowing you to run across the top of the water rather than swim. From there it's just a matter of running to shore and snaring, as the Bloodgills will emerge from the water already bunched up.

^

I would add, you should test swimming down a little bit and then swimming up to the surface to make sure you're popping out high enough for levi to kick in. If you're not, work on your swimming skill for a little bit until you can swim fast enough to do this.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM

What a phallic zone!!

Also could be the middle finger.

Lojik
02-20-2014, 02:26 PM

http://i.imgur.com/pvgCWph.jpg
I have not done this for a while so I forget the directions exactly (E/S/N/W) etc, but there are actually 12 goblins in the water. On the map here, small dots are single spawns and big are double. 4 are by the veksar entrance. This is a tricky pull. The way I did it was try and get within range of all 4 without being in aggro range. Then, tstaff + cyclenearestnpc +tstaff+cycle etc. Then immediately swim forward and up, and you need lev on.

Also, I forget which direction (I think it's the E pull,) but some of the BG's in the other two pulls are a bit too spread out and won't always social when you pull one pair.

If you're pulling with Tstaff you need to click at least once on a mob in each pair, and I think the East pull you might need to either click twice or make sure you target the one that will be dragged over the other.

Vallanor
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Also, I forget which direction (I think it's the E pull,) but some of the BG's in the other two pulls are a bit too spread out and won't always social when you pull one pair.

If you're pulling with Tstaff you need to click at least once on a mob in each pair, and I think the East pull you might need to either click twice or make sure you target the one that will be dragged over the other.

The bloodgill pairs at the NW, NE, and SE pillars will aggro together. All the bloodgills in front of the temple (by far the hardest to pull) and the pair at the SW pillar need to be pulled individually. Once you get the hang of it, it's the best quad spot in the game.