PDA

View Full Version : Velious: Focus effects

Tradesonred
02-13-2014, 10:50 PM
I had assumed this would be patched in, confirmation plz?

Im pretty sure i was looting pieces with +crit and +range before Luclin hit?

Grubbz
02-13-2014, 10:52 PM
I know the coldain prayer shawl had FT on it so yeah i assume they all came with velious.

Lojik
02-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Nope

loramin
02-13-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before (I'd recommend searching for it), but I believe the answer was: no. There are a couple of item with focus effect-like effects in Velious, and those will be there, but true focus effects didn't come until Luclin (and thus won't show up here).

But again, I'd advise searching, as I could be wrong.

Tradesonred
02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before (I'd recommend searching for it), but I believe the answer was: no. There are a couple of item with focus effect-like effects in Velious, and those will be there, but true focus effects didn't come until Luclin (and thus won't show up here).

But again, I'd advise searching, as I could be wrong.

Ok thx sorry, not even sure if i got focus effect right.

Im talking about all the extra stats, like +crit +range. I stopped playing Luclin after a week so the thing im talking about was the stuff that was in velious

Xelris
02-13-2014, 11:10 PM

It was. Focus effects were initially patched in during Velious, seemingly randomly on equipment in order to test the effects.

The effects on the economy were pretty interesting... a lot of items that were otherwise completely valueless were suddenly in very high demand, particularly anything with level III effects.

There was no crit focus, but there were a few that increased damage.

Tradesonred
02-13-2014, 11:13 PM
It was. Focus effects were initially patched in during Velious, seemingly randomly on equipment in order to test the effects.

The effects on the economy were pretty interesting... a lot of items that were otherwise completely valueless were suddenly in very high demand, particularly anything with level III effects.

There was no crit focus, but there were a few that increased damage.

I can put my hands in the fire that i had to decide between +range and +crit to deck out my wiz with during velious

Morningbreath
02-14-2014, 03:46 AM
Caster focus items didn't go in until well after Luclin launched.

dbouya
02-15-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm about 99% sure that those effects were not in velious at or near launch.

edit: EXCEPT FT. I am 100% sure FT was in.

Xelris
02-15-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm about 99% sure that those effects were not in velious at or near launch.

edit: EXCEPT FT. I am 100% sure FT was in.

They weren't. They were added very late, I want to say right before Luclin released.

cyryllis
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Focus effects were in during velious, but literally weeks before luclin launched iirc. i remember getting damage 3 focus items at least

Man0warr
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Some focus effects were retroactively added to Velious items but it wasn't during Velious, maybe at earliest the patch before Luclin.

Gazer75
02-16-2014, 03:46 PM
IIRC the Runed Coldain Prayer Shawl had FT

http://www.eqtraders.com/images/articles/shawl_seven.jpg

Doze
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Attack, Regen and Flowing Thought effects were all available during the Velious era. On Zam the first mention of Aura of Battle are from dec 13 2000 and first mention of FT (that I could find) are from june 2001 (FT items were few and not easy to come by in Velious). I really do hope that they allow FT effects to stack with each other from the start (or at least later on as 'custom' content).

Spell focus effects might not have been added until later, but I have to admit that they are one of the customization aspects that I think should have been included since the start of the server as it would add a lot to all levels of gameplay. I definetly think that they should be added along with the Velious launch - and if not outright at the launch then later on as 'custom' content.

Rec
02-16-2014, 04:58 PM
focus effects is the only thing i want that is not classic

Kender
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
7th shawl definately had flowing thought on it and was around at release. 8th shawl was added after luclin

some items had focus effects added in the patch before luclin but that was in prep for luclin and was to test them out i think

Rec
02-16-2014, 05:51 PM
when i think of focus effects i am not thinking of flowing thought

Clark
02-17-2014, 05:35 AM
Nope

bartly
02-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Will we get the runnyeye revamp? Blackened alloy medallion had mana preservation. That was Velious era, long before Luclin.

Edit nevermind, read some allakazam comments, focus effects were patched in june 2002, after luclin.

Still would be nice to get runnyeye citadel revamped. It turns into a fun dungeon with decent loot.

Ihova
02-17-2014, 01:06 PM
(Most Focus effects hit 2 months before Luclin release as stated.)

The extended range, improved damage/healing, (the other one that improves root/dots) are powerful and maybe should not be released right away.

These were put in to help bump peoples output for Luclin mobs, they had significant hp increases as well as damage out put compared to Vel/Kun mobs lvl 50 plus. (These effects would make current mobs way easier and IMO should be allowed in until late in Velious.

fastboy21
02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
there are only really two relevant questions:

1. which focus effects were added and in game and which items before luclin release? nothing new here. good data research is needed for this. it can't be based on folks best recollections.

2. does something chronologically being on live before luclin release date necessarily mean that it is "classic" or are there other criteria? this is a question for the developers to wrestle with (and the community if they want to include us).

Personally, my feeling is that spell focus effects (i'm not talking about FT or aura of battle) like extended range, improved damage, etc. were released on live before luclin launch. However, they were released in a live update specifically linked to the coming release of luclin. The fact that they did it a little early for free instead of making it part of the expansion doesn't mean that it *has* to be classic/on p99. For me, the spell casting focus effects are really luclin era and wouldn't fit here.

Its really up to the devs, and I could understand the arguments for choosing either of the options.

bartly
02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
there are only really two relevant questions:

1. which focus effects were added and in game and which items before luclin release? nothing new here. good data research is needed for this. it can't be based on folks best recollections.

2. does something chronologically being on live before luclin release date necessarily mean that it is "classic" or are there other criteria? this is a question for the developers to wrestle with (and the community if they want to include us).

Personally, my feeling is that spell focus effects (i'm not talking about FT or aura of battle) like extended range, improved damage, etc. were released on live before luclin launch. However, they were released in a live update specifically linked to the coming release of luclin. The fact that they did it a little early for free instead of making it part of the expansion doesn't mean that it *has* to be classic/on p99. For me, the spell casting focus effects are really luclin era and wouldn't fit here.

Its really up to the devs, and I could understand the arguments for choosing either of the options.

Was it really tied to luclin, or was it more to bring casters in line with uber equipment drops that melee were getting from ST, AOW, NTOV? I mean gear to casters before focus effects had little impact on them other than mana pool.

While weapons with uber procs and better dmg/delay really amped up melee classes. Scepter of destruction, primals, etc.

fastboy21
02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Was it really tied to luclin, or was it more to bring casters in line with uber equipment drops that melee were getting from ST, AOW, NTOV? I mean gear to casters before focus effects had little impact on them other than mana pool.

While weapons with uber procs and better dmg/delay really amped up melee classes. Scepter of destruction, primals, etc.

Barring some kind of dev statement on the issue from the era, it is something that is a matter of opinion. Both views make sense. I could see devs agreeing with either point of view.

The reason I lean towards thinking of them as luclin and not velious (despite the chronology) is that the effects seem like the result of itemization that was created for luclin gear---luclin items were clearly balanced to take into account the new focus effects. the old items that got focus effects pre-luclin always seemed like an add-in bonus that didn't get much thought put into it by the devs. obviously though, its all opinion.

baalzy
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Focus effects (Burning Affliction, Enhanced Damage, ect..) weren't introduced until Luclin and the effects were added to many items after the fact. So despite the fact that an item may be Velious era, it did not have the focus effect on them until after Luclin dropped.

This is announcing that Luclin will add in the focus items
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everquest-the-shadows-of-luclin-preview/1100-2780291/

This is Allah trying to handle the focus items having been added. June 2002
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=951

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020605a.html
Added 'focus' effects to over 150 existing items.
This is when the focus effects were retroactively added to Velious/Kunark/Vanilla gear

Luclin happened Dec. 2001.

As much as I'd love it to be different, Spell Focus Items didn't exist according to this servers timeline. They should only be added in as post-classic custom content.

Fael
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
flowing thought was in from the get go, or atleast by the time planes were revamped. At least FT 1 and FT II. Not sure about the higher ones from tunare and co.

Dolic

Ele
02-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Focus effects (Burning Affliction, Enhanced Damage, ect..) weren't introduced until Luclin and the effects were added to many items after the fact. So despite the fact that an item may be Velious era, it did not have the focus effect on them until after Luclin dropped.

This is announcing that Luclin will add in the focus items
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everquest-the-shadows-of-luclin-preview/1100-2780291/

This is Allah trying to handle the focus items having been added. June 2002
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=951

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020605a.html
Added 'focus' effects to over 150 existing items.
This is when the focus effects were retroactively added to Velious/Kunark/Vanilla gear

Luclin happened Dec. 2001.

As much as I'd love it to be different, Spell Focus Items didn't exist according to this servers timeline. They should only be added in as post-classic custom content.

Good post. +1 internets

baalzy
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
flowing thought was in from the get go, or atleast by the time planes were revamped. At least FT 1 and FT II. Not sure about the higher ones from tunare and co.

Dolic

While this is true, I don't consider FT to be a focus effect (same with Aura of Battle ect).

Focus effects change the behavior of your spells: Increases the level of summoned pets, increases damage, decreases cast time ect...

Flowing Thought is not a focus effect, it doesn't do jack squat to your spells. It increases your mana regen.

Arteker
02-17-2014, 07:54 PM
While this is true, I don't consider FT to be a focus effect (same with Aura of Battle ect).

Focus effects change the behavior of your spells: Increases the level of summoned pets, increases damage, decreases cast time ect...

Flowing Thought is not a focus effect, it doesn't do jack squat to your spells. It increases your mana regen.

one thing is a worn effect another a focus effect.

Teeroyoyort
02-18-2014, 03:37 AM
I remember level 60 required on vex thal gear and 51 on new CT gear at the same time as focus's added. like they added the required level to items

Alecta
02-18-2014, 03:43 AM
And IIRC, at first two Flowing Thought I items didnt stack. So you wanted a FT1 item, a FT2 item, etc. They added stacking later.

Ditto for the attack buffs.

Man0warr
02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
That's not how it worked - the highest FT item is the only one that applied.

FT1+FT2+FT3 didn't stack originally - eventually when they changed it to stack it went up to 15.

Ele
02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Full discussion on FT items and stacking issues in this thread:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79881