PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Fix pets tanking raid mobs by implementing 4 max pets on a mob

koros
02-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Classic mechanic. I brought it up ages ago already:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113187

Nirgon
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Think it should be unlimited pets per mob but only 3-4 mobs aggrod to a player:

Same source (http://web.archive.org/web/200101231906/http://forums.castersrealm.com/eq/Forum8/HTML/000930.html):

Pre-kunark.. getting more as 3 pets on a mob was hard.. because verant had 'fix' a bug which would allow only 3 pets on a mob. (this was done for players, only 3 mobs would agro the player now, with pulling.. that was the idea behind it)
After kunark, it is no problem at all getting 4 or 5 pets on a mob.. just arder pet to attack and it's on it.
Myself i play VERY often with necrogroups (4+ necros in a group).
Being on raid.. well besides we are mana-bateries, we can throw in a dot once or twice, but our main damage is our pet.. he does very good damage.

Useful info for Pre-Kunark / Nilbog's timeline server for sure and supports max npcs per player.

koros
02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Eh I don't remember exactly when they changed it. I know for a while they'd run to the mob and dance around and kind of switch which 4 pets were engaged.

Also from the same source:

posted September 28, 2000 05:39 PM

Err heh I'll say again only 4 pets can be on a single mob at once. I suppose I should mention that I hit a minimum of one of the above mobs every week and that my pets get severly outdamaged by the guild rangers. Paladins can also have extremly high ac which makes them useful and sk's are in between but the sk's I do raids with have extremly good equipment.

Nirgon
02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Ya I think that's pure vanilla pets were suffering from the npc pull mechanic design.

baalzy
02-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Page 2 of the thread isn't archived, but Page 3 is

I will say this here, no idea why, but a recent group I was in was undoubtedly the best group I've ever been in.
I was soloing in Guk for awhile and decide to invite some friends to join me camping the frenzied because it gets boring solo after awhile.

Anyway, it started out as just me a mage friend and another necro friend, but we decide to make it an all out pet caster group so we dug up another mage and 2 more necros.

Our group was:

4 necros, (44, 47, 51, 53) and 2 mages (50, 52).

2 of the necros were on nuke/mez duty. With 4 necros, we were able to consistently control bad pulls and the pets were just simply MEAN. Dar ghoul knights would fall in about 10 seconds to these badasses. No one was even nuking, it was ridiculous.

We also worked together quite well, I was main assist so I would target one and the 2 necros on mez duty would mez the others. Because the mobs fell so fast, ST was good enough. Sure I would have loved an AE mez, but who needs it when 6 jabobers are flailing away?

Clearly we were overpowered for Guk, but DAMN 6 pets kicks serious ass =)

Nadime

Was posted Oct 2000
Now, this could just mean that raid mobs have a 4 pet limit but this clearly shows that at least for regular mobs you could have at least 6 pets on a mob.

koros
02-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Limit for all mobs was 4.

Two options....

1. It got changed somewhere around then to no limit/raised limit

2. The poster didn't notice the actual pet behavior. When you engaged more than 4 pets on a mob only 4 pets could be actively swinging. It wasn't always the same 4 on any given round. If you had 6, some (seemingly) random group of 4 would swing and 2 would sit around scratching their asses. This would still be enough to decimate guk mobs.

Nirgon
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm certain in Velious we had an all pet group in Velks when my buddy got his necro back.

So between Vanilla and then... I'm willing to buy the max was 4 at a time. Until when? Not sure!

baalzy
02-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Limit for all mobs was 4.

Two options....

1. It got changed somewhere around then to no limit/raised limit

2. The poster didn't notice the actual pet behavior. When you engaged more than 4 pets on a mob only 4 pets could be actively swinging. It wasn't always the same 4 on any given round. If you had 6, some (seemingly) random group of 4 would swing and 2 would sit around scratching their asses. This would still be enough to decimate guk mobs.

Well, we also had a guy talking about pre-kunark raiding that only 4 pets were allowed and then people saying post-kunark they were allowed.

Entirely possible that the pre-kunark raiders just never tried more than 4 pets (or any pets at all, since he said they were useless against fearing dragons anyways) because they *knew* 4 was the limit, even if it was changed.

Even still, allowing 4 pets max to attack something doesn't bother me as long as they fix their hate generation at the same time.