PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to red99

Duckwalk
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Howdy all,

Interested in your red99 server but don't know anything about it and blue server doesnt generally have anything good to say about red.

I have no experience with EQ pvp but have lots of experience with pvp from DAoC, Warhammer, WoW and SWTOR.

Myself and my friends have played on the blue server up to mid fifties before we were burnt out and discouraged after looking to end game raiding. I have no interest in "competing" by poop socking mobs for hours on end or attempting to cockblock or prevent others from accessing content most of us did 15 years ago in order to maintain some silly monopoly.

So please tell me about the server. What's th raid scene like? How does pvp work? Assuming a duo or trio are there certain classes we should shy away from due to unbalanced pvp nature? Currentt we are messing around with a cleric enchanter combo which is a lot of fun, would that still be viable?

Is there an experience modifier in place?

What does the economy look like?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Duckwalk

fiegi 8.0
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
don't play

Colgate
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
played blue server on live for years, then played a pvp server

literally cannot play blue servers now, shit feels boring and pointless

that being said, this server is not indicative of what a normal pvp server would be and i would advise you to stay away unless you have serious psychological and/or social disorders

Duckwalk
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Read your link Colgate and I'm very interested. Looks like a lot of fun. Can you explain a bit more about the server, class balance in pvp, basic pvp mechanics or the raid scene?

Or direct me to a resource with this information?

I'm happy to do forum searches I just wondered if you had information at hand or the time to educate.

Thanks,
Duckwalk

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I hate to say this, but if you havent started already, id steer clear.

Theres a play nice policy that makes it complicated to kill a naked guy and some guy can just bag his shit so it looks like you cant kill him and if you make a mistake you might get banned and... i dont care to figure out how it works, it feels so tacked on and unintuitive.

But yea if you can wrestle the rulebook down and decide youd still wanna play on a PVP server with these kind of hoops you have to jump in to PVP then it might be fun.

Players come up with all sorts of solutions to better the server and these are ignored most of the times or end up getting patched after the damage is done

Like right now people are suggesting blue transfers to help boost red99s population. Curious to see when and if theres ever going to be a response to that.

heartbrand
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
We would love to help you here, send tell to selena/checkraise/ricardo/sektor/tyrant/moderately or any other red dawn member!

Eslade
02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
I hate to say this, but if you havent started already, id steer clear.

Theres a play nice policy that makes it complicated to kill a naked guy and some guy can just bag his shit so it looks like you cant kill him and if you make a mistake you might get banned and... i dont care to figure out how it works, it feels so tacked on and unintuitive.

Untrue, you can kill naked people. It's the guy on the CR's job to make sure that you know that he's on a CR.

Tradesonread is just being a little dismal with every right to be. Server is going to get more population thanks in no small part to heartbrand. Just don't be a dweeb and people will treat you right, despite what you read on the forums and ooc.

Have fun and see ya around.

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Tradesonread is just being a little dismal with every right to be.

Have fun and see ya around.

Its been a long time since i ran across an english sentence i didnt understand. Is this proper english?

I might get some of the PnP wrong but take a look at this quote taken from the PnP post up top:

"Please note that this means that kill stealing is still against the rules on Project 1999 Red. If you wish to steal someones kill, it is recommended you kill the player first and then kill their mob."

Just look at it.

Derubael
02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah, if you're out of range of someone, don't steal their kill. Not sure why that's a problem.

Or did you think "Project 1999: PvP" meant "Project 1999: Do whatever the fuck you want!"

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, if you're out of range of someone, don't steal their kill. Not sure why that's a problem.

Or did you think "Project 1999: PvP" meant "Project 1999: Do whatever the fuck you want!"

I thought it meant "As close to classic as we possibly can" but clearly i was mistaken. Deru be honest, how old were you when Rallos went live? :)

On rallos, you might have said "Hey some OOR dick is following me around stealing my kills" in ooc and then some anti-pk would log in an alt and deal with it. Thats a little thing people like to call a sandbox.

Derubael
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Shouldn't have even responded to that.

Duckwalk, come on over, Red's great, and a lot of fun.

Colgate
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
wait, if some level 40 is farming golem wands, i'm not allowed to kill the mob?

are you fucking serious?

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 09:35 PM

are you fucking serious?

lol the ramifications of PnP have clearly been thought through multiple times

Derubael
02-11-2014, 09:51 PM
I thought it meant "As close to classic as we possibly can" but clearly i was mistaken

I ripped the Red99 PnP straight from SoE's original pvp PnP.

The PvP Servers are a special case for many of the policies listed here. When one makes the decision to play on a PvP Server, they are in essence agreeing to play on a server where compromise is decided on the basis of who has the power to kill whom.

By the same token, we expect that the people on those servers will apply PvP combat in all situations where it is called for, as a resolution to the problem. As such, the EverQuest Customer Service Staff will decline to intervene in cases where a PvP alternative exists, such as at disputed spawns where the parties involved have the ability to attack each other.

Though the PvP environment does eliminate a few of the problems experienced on the normal servers, there are a few more PvP-specific problems that are created.

Bind-point/Corpse Camping
Killing someone over and over again while at his or her bind-point or while they are in the process of retrieving their corpse is illegal and will result in a warning when witnessed by an EQCSR. You are expected in all cases to give someone a reasonable amount of time to recover their corpse an leave the area prior to attacking again.

Conversely, the person recovering their corpse is expected to do so and retreat to safety promptly. In other words, sitting next to your corpse and taunting someone while daring them to attack you so that you can /petition them is bad form, and would result in a warning if witnessed by an EQCSR.

The EQCSR in attendance will decide what is reasonable in these cases. It is highly recommended that the people involved make equitable arrangements prior to involving the EverQuest Customer Service Staff.

This would imply that if a situation can't be resolved through PvP (IE, and OOR lvl 60 killsteals from a lvl 20 player), it would be subject to the regular PnP (no killstealing)

This is further reinforced from this post:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020605114204/http://eqlive.station.sony.com/library/sz_rule_sets.jsp][/url]

On Rallos Zek, PvP-related Play Nice Policy situations are expected to be resolved using PvP solutions. However, Non PvP-related Play Nice Policy issues, such as training, causing intentional experience loss, bind point, zone, and portal camping, as well as other various forms of harassment, are not permitted in the PvP environment.

While corpse camping is no longer illegal, corpse camping someone until the point where his or her corpse decays is considered harassment, and will be treated as such.

This post references the Firiona Vie server, which means it was created after October 2001, 2 months before Luclin release. The "No longer illegal" part would imply that prior to this post, corpse camping was illegal in all forms, as per the original PnP posted above.

So... classic? I'd say so.

edit: added in that little section about bind point/CC'ing for all of you LnS haters.

Eslade
02-11-2014, 09:51 PM

are you fucking serious?

From what I understand, if you're farming golem wands and someone wants your spot, they can only do one of two things,
1)Kill you
2)Ask you for it
If the person contesting is oor, they can do option number 2, or call someone that is in range to try to take the camp from you. You can then tell them to get lost. Pretty much the same as before
The part about not kill stealing is that you can't just nab mobs from someone that is oor. I don't know who wastes their time doing that anyway though.

heartbrand
02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I ripped the Red99 PnP straight from SoE's original pvp PnP.

This would imply that if a situation can't be resolved through PvP (IE, and OOR lvl 60 killsteals from a lvl 20 player), it would be subject to the regular PnP (no killstealing)

This is further reinforced from this post:

This post references the Firiona Vie server, which means it was created after October 2001, 2 months before Luclin release. The "No longer illegal" part would imply that prior to this post, corpse camping was illegal in all forms, as per the original PnP posted above.

So... classic? I'd say so.

We should also enforce the portion that disallows the pvp engagement of a raid force mid fight if the opposing force is insufficient to kill the raid mob. This will be of extreme importance come velious where a few people can being fifty plus to a halt.

Tassador
02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
let people grow we want 200 pop. fucking euros got 70 online in the morning.

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Corpse camping, training was so rampant and unpunished on Rallos that i never knew it was illegal until i read forums here. I mean it wasnt like people were gonna sit on your corpse for hours, but u knew if you went back to your corpse right away, good chances the guy was still there waiting for you. So youd make a sandwich, log an alt so the guy would get bored and leave.

So your classic experience where GMs rarely if ever applied these rules, and your experience on red99 where GMs are actually looking for people breaking these rules, will vary greatly.

You could not spend a day in Oasis without reading "Spectres to docks" or seeing someone training giants around. It was part of my classic experience on Rallos. You had to look for giants because some people trained em. You had to be on the ball.

Shit you should have seen the insane amount of corpses at the rathe zone line as people were dragging the undead dragon there during the halloween event of 2001, who had a one hit AOE for me as a lvl12 wiz. Theres no way a GM wasnt watching all this and no warning was ever issued in OOC or through yellow text.

Some guy corpse camping my bind point on my wiz on rallos then asking me to port him to EC and hell stop? Sure! Port the fucker to dreadlands, highfive bro!

I mean technically youre probably right

But you know, camping portals against PnP? lol gotta be kidding, Gfay portal was camped 24/7 just had to hope you werent in range. It would never have occured to me in a million years to petition some guy who engaged me as i zoned in through the Gfay portal. Again its probably not that people would sit at the portal for 8 hours to grief anybody that came through. They were doing probably what i was doing. Got a new piece of gear to sell, zone in to gfay to see if one of the trading mules wanted to buy it. While you were there, camp the portal a little to see if some nemesis of yours was gonna port in, then go somewhere else.

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 10:25 PM
We should also enforce the portion that disallows the pvp engagement of a raid force mid fight if the opposing force is insufficient to kill the raid mob. This will be of extreme importance come velious where a few people can being fifty plus to a halt.

Holy shit heartbrand, thats blue as fuck buddy, so blue. I mean thats what you get for enforcing stuff that wasnt enforced on Rallos. Its like youre getting them used to being buttersoft and petitioning for every little thing instead of thickening their skin and letting players resolve issues between themselves 98% of the times.

Imagine 10 guys coming over from another game, new to EQ leveled up on red having fun, seeing heartbrand and his crew engaging a mob they dont know. They decide theyre going to fuck with heartbrands group because PVP. Youre telling me they gotta alt tab to a wiki to check out the mobs HP or what the unintuitive fuck ever, bust out the pocket calculator to see if they can PVP players in front of them? Just lol

Im not pulling shit out of my ass, i myself have no clue whatsoever what the Velious raid mobs are, how many players you need to engage them, etc.

heartbrand
02-11-2014, 10:49 PM
self serving & blue yes

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
self serving & blue yes

Truer words were never spoken, im sorry to say

Tradesonred
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I guess PnP is just the babysitter having exhausted all his patience, out of ideas on how to deal with this fucking kid and telling him

SIT

THE FUCK

DOWN

on the sofa in front of the telly

runlvlzero
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Server is fun, but if your seeking personal growth and enlightenment, go elsewhere... this place is more full time than a family of your own if you want to compete at any high level...

If not join Flowers of Happiness and just troll /ooc.

kylok
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
As a bluebie who has recently given it up for red, I can say that the only things that kept me from rolling here sooner were a few small things.

First off the idea of you crazy forum warriors corpse camping me was not appealing at all, with the PnP I'm not worried about this anymore.

Secondly I did roll a toon on RZ back when and was promptly corpse camped by a monk twink with a fungi - instilling a fear of EQ pvp in me that has lasted some 12 years =D.

Lastly the server is pretty empty - this still concerns me some what as I generally enjoy melee classes over casters, but I compromised and rolled a bard.

What brought me here in the first place however, was when I realized that blue is frankly just as "toxic" (I think that's a shitty word but it gets the point across) as red appears to be - at least on the forums. Now that I am here I'm liking it quite a bit. The community is smaller and tighter knit which fosters its own problems but they aren't any worse than the craziness that goes on over at blue. I like the feeling of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond than being the 250th monk with a fungi on blue. The true exciting from coming to red however, is the prospect of feeling like I'm actually getting better at EQ through pvp. I've played this game over and over on many different classes, done most of the end game content and I can safely say I don't know how to play half as well as I thought I did.

So thanks Red99, you made EQ fun again in a way that only pvp could.

Gaffin 7.0
02-11-2014, 11:41 PM
As a bluebie who has recently given it up for red, I can say that the only things that kept me from rolling here sooner were a few small things.

First off the idea of you crazy forum warriors corpse camping me was not appealing at all, with the PnP I'm not worried about this anymore.

Secondly I did roll a toon on RZ back when and was promptly corpse camped by a monk twink with a fungi - instilling a fear of EQ pvp in me that has lasted some 12 years =D.

Lastly the server is pretty empty - this still concerns me some what as I generally enjoy melee classes over casters, but I compromised and rolled a bard.

What brought me here in the first place however, was when I realized that blue is frankly just as "toxic" (I think that's a shitty word but it gets the point across) as red appears to be - at least on the forums. Now that I am here I'm liking it quite a bit. The community is smaller and tighter knit which fosters its own problems but they aren't any worse than the craziness that goes on over at blue. I like the feeling of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond than being the 250th monk with a fungi on blue. The true exciting from coming to red however, is the prospect of feeling like I'm actually getting better at EQ through pvp. I've played this game over and over on many different classes, done most of the end game content and I can safely say I don't know how to play half as well as I thought I did.

So thanks Red99, you made EQ fun again in a way that only pvp could.

i usually dont read shit this long but A+ summed it up

Kazi
02-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Blue is worse, at least in end game. That thread about tracking and rotations on raid mobs. Omg how depressing. I get the sense people on red are actually having fun.

Duckwalk
02-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Blue is worse, at least in end game. That thread about tracking and rotations on raid mobs. Omg how depressing. I get the sense people on red are actually having fun.

I have no interest in "competing" over 15 year old content and claiming skill from being able to poopsock the best.

I have no interest in "being the best raiding guild" of trivial 15 year old content everyone has either already done or is easily researchable.

What I am interested in is actually playing the game, ie. doing my epic, killing content that actually offers upgrades and no for purposes of MQ#1238384 and possibly pvp.

I no nothing of pvp in EQ. Is Red99 a smaller Blue with a similar raid scene (one guild or two guilds cockblocking the rest of server so thy can sell them MQs and prevent them from competing all with a slight pvp flavor thrown in?

Or is Red99 small enough that everyone either doesn't give a shot about monopolizing raid content or can access raid content if they need to and there is a much larger focus of game wide pvp?

I guess I'm just wondering what y'all do a 60

Kazi
02-12-2014, 02:41 AM
Right there with ya man. I just started myself - first time on red. Afaik one guild has basically monopolized all raid content for 2 years because they kill all raid mobs at 5 am est. This doesn't really bother me. There's a nice xp bonus, less competition for stuff, and if I get to endgame I have a shot at killing stuff with a guild that's not on some spreadsheet. The prospect of fightin other people with a lot of friends is awesome. But I just started and am not jaded yet :p

Inb4 red is dead

iiNGloriouS
02-12-2014, 02:51 AM
Inb4 red is dead
http://cloud.attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/red_dead_redemption.jpg

iiNGloriouS
02-12-2014, 03:35 AM
Old Today, 11:14 PM
Remove user from ignore listHateraid
This message is hidden because Hateraid is on your ignore list.

I suggest you others do the same.

Tradesonred
02-12-2014, 03:49 AM
lol u know when inglorious is suggesting people to ignore someone, its bad.

Hateraid on my ignorelist since like the 3rd post i saw him post

Tassador
02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Play game have fun pvp move on. Late game is red dawn massing like a Zerg they recruit anyone with a pulse. I had a level 5 human Mage they tried recruiting commons was full of level 6 red dawns. Then you got nilly who kills raid mobs @ 5:15 am are generally over committed to this game they worship pixels. You also got azrael that has jerks on ooc these are the kids that self promote and want attention for being good at Everquest pvp. Really need a third axis power that's not full of toxic nerds won't happen cause everyone cool can't commit 20 hours to eq weekly.

rusty81
02-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Howdy all,

Interested in your red99 server but don't know anything about it and blue server doesnt generally have anything good to say about red.

I have no experience with EQ pvp but have lots of experience with pvp from DAoC, Warhammer, WoW and SWTOR.

Myself and my friends have played on the blue server up to mid fifties before we were burnt out and discouraged after looking to end game raiding. I have no interest in "competing" by poop socking mobs for hours on end or attempting to cockblock or prevent others from accessing content most of us did 15 years ago in order to maintain some silly monopoly.

So please tell me about the server. What's th raid scene like? How does pvp work? Assuming a duo or trio are there certain classes we should shy away from due to unbalanced pvp nature? Currentt we are messing around with a cleric enchanter combo which is a lot of fun, would that still be viable?

Is there an experience modifier in place?

What does the economy look like?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Duckwalk

Here was my first initial experiences with Red. For the most part the community is wonderful in game NOT ON FORUMS. If you take what you see on forums with a grain of salt you will be in good shape. Almost everyone wants more players so you will be well received in game and showered with plat and gear (at least I was). With the lower population you have the opportunity to "grind" less and experience the fun EQ has to offer. Rather than just racing to max level and poopsockin the raids you can take your time because with the XP bonus it is way more relaxed with less pressure to level and enjoy things EQ has to offer(Which is great for those of us with families and/or jobs), like quest lines you have never done. Another great thing that has kept me here is the ability to camp items on your own! no more fighting over camps for spawns for a specific item you want. To be honest even the so called jerks here on the forum in game are completely different people. On the forums they are jackasses in game actually really cool people. Give it a shot and see for yourself.

Even with pvp the whole PNP I never really got, I think most of it stems from deep seeded rivalries. In all my pvp encounters never have I seen anyone camped. Most even try to befriend you after a pvp battle. There is no loss of xp or gear so PVP is strictly fun. Some say but there is no one to group with at low levels... A. that is not true with the high xp bonus people are constantly making new characters to try because they level so fast. B. even if you cant find a group who cares... you level so fast you will be in range in no time. All I can say is proof is in the delicious banana crème pudding. so log in see what you think for yourself!

HippoNipple
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
The server is fun. There are currently a couple guild choices that will fit any play style. Enchanter/Cleric is a great duo and you can fit in a lot of classes with it so just play whatever. You know PvE well enough to make your own decision.

Currently all dmg spells land pretty easily in PvP but if resists get worked on this wont' be the case. Wizards will need to use lures, mages will be out of luck, enchanters are still useful with dispels, rapture, debuffs, necros will be more useful because of dots/drains that will still land. There is a GM currently working on resists but he has taken a lot longer than people had hoped. Eventually they should be implemented.

Melees are great in PvP at end game once you get them geared but they will be the easiest to pick on while leveling up.

On this server there is no penalty for a PvP death, no exp, no item loss, etc.

There is an exp bonus on this server so you will be able to get to 50 pretty quick. There is a scaling bonus from 1-50 as well as a global exp bonus of 1.5x or 2.0x of blue.

runlvlzero
02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
They recruit people without a pulse too. Nihilum is the guild to join if you want to be an elite asshole.

HippoNipple
02-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Play game have fun pvp move on. Late game is red dawn massing like a Zerg they recruit anyone with a pulse. I had a level 5 human Mage they tried recruiting commons was full of level 6 red dawns. Then you got nilly who kills raid mobs @ 5:15 am are generally over committed to this game they worship pixels. You also got azrael that has jerks on ooc these are the kids that self promote and want attention for being good at Everquest pvp. Really need a third axis power that's not full of toxic nerds won't happen cause everyone cool can't commit 20 hours to eq weekly.

Red Dawn recruits the most and also has probably kicked the most members because it is the only guild that actively seeks a healthy environment. Every guild on the server wants more members. If Red Dawn is trying to attract players to the server and help newcomers that just means they are putting in more work in the recruitment process than other guilds.

heartbrand
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
They recruit people without a pulse too. Nihilum is the guild to join if you want to be an elite asshole.

If you're referring to Red Dawn, then you're greatly mistaken. We are the ONLY end game raiding guild, that I know of on Red99, that routinely will cut people loose who break the rules of our charter. Even long time veteran member Relapsed, was ultimately let go, due to repeated violations of our charter. Thank you for your concern though, and I appreciate the opportunity to clear that up. The only difference is, we are willing to give everyone a chance to make a rep for themselves in Red Dawn.

Tassador
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
I generally like a lot of players in red dawn no hang ups here. but I did see like 6 level 5 red dawns in west common and the only guild that list is always cut short is red dawn :/

rusty81
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
If you're referring to Red Dawn, then you're greatly mistaken. We are the ONLY end game raiding guild, that I know of on Red99, that routinely will cut people loose who break the rules of our charter. Even long time veteran member Relapsed, was ultimately let go, due to repeated violations of our charter. Thank you for your concern though, and I appreciate the opportunity to clear that up. The only difference is, we are willing to give everyone a chance to make a rep for themselves in Red Dawn.

Zoolander
02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
What's th raid scene like?

Thanks, Duckwalk

its simply fantastic!!

pixel showers on a weekly basis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUWRLWMWqE0&)

HippoNipple
02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
I generally like a lot of players in red dawn no hang ups here. but I did see like 6 level 5 red dawns in west common and the only guild that list is always cut short is red dawn :/

Red Dawn recruiting players from Blue, stop hating and enjoy the population increase.

When players migrate to blue who would you rather answer questions they may have, /ooc or Red Dawn? Just trying to make sure people that join the server stay and aren't turned away by the little things that can be easily overcome on this server.

runlvlzero
02-12-2014, 12:06 PM
There is no such thing as a philanthropic, adult, good raider. Who plays for RP and fun.

It does not exist. Therefore it is impossibru for <Red Dawn> to be the good hearted kind angels they wish to be portayed as.

That's like Nazi's saying they are family oriented because they only want whats best for society - world and cultural domination.

runlvlzero
02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
its simply fantastic!!

pixel showers on a weekly basis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUWRLWMWqE0&)

And where men become girls! Love the video.

Tassador
02-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Hippo has some good sigs.

Mac Dretti
02-12-2014, 12:22 PM
lol video

Pudge
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Vid doesn't work, I missed it :(

Taboo
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Good video lol

Zoolander
02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Vid doesn't work, I missed it :(

Just watch it on your PC ;) somehow it doesn't work on iOS handheld, not sure why since it's .mp4

Unidus
02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Must be hard competing against nobody to get all those pixels.

Mac Dretti
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Just watch it on your PC ;) somehow it doesn't work on iOS handheld, not sure why since it's .mp4

Foreigners and their non mobile youtubes

Pudge
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
hrm. from my PC works fine, from my youtube app (android) it says it's blocked by one or more content providers

loved the vid