PDA

View Full Version : Advice on which models to use

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone. So this is my third week on server. When I started, I just instinctively turned all the Luclin models on because that's how I had gotten used to playing. I played on live from 2000-2004 and on Fippy for a year 2011-2012. On live, when Luclin came out I turned all the models on. Mostly because my main was an Iksar and I hated the classic Iksar models and probably also because I was a teenager back then and for whatever reason I gave a shit about graphics (something I care much less about now of course).

Now that I've been on P99 for a little while, I have a growing dissonance with the Luclin models. Probably because I know most are playing without them and because some of the Luclin models feel hollow / uncanny valley.

I just went into my globalload file and deleted the Luclin Ogre/Troll/Dwarf/Gnome files because it's undisputed the classic models are better in those races. Does anyone here play with the models mixed?

I think I just got used to the higher res models and textures, I think that's why I'm having a hard time turning ALL the Luclin models off. No matter what, I think I'm going to keep Iksar luclin turned on, as I said I really despise the old Iksar model for some reason. Just doesn't work for me.

Gah, guys I know how subjective this is. I also know most of you play full classic models. Just looking for some opinions that can help me put this to rest. What about skelles and elementals?

Any and all opinions appreciated. I feel like I'm so close to going full classic and turning all of them off but I am still hesitant. Just understand I got very used to the Luclin models as it's all I used since 2001. Doesn't mean it isn't time for a change ;) Help me do dat

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I think the one I'm most conflicted with is Barb, since I'm maining a Barb shaman here. I actually kind of like the Luclin model physically. But the classic armor is cooler. For instance right now I'm wearing a leather helmet and the polar bear thing is badass. With Luclin on it's just a lame leather cap.

Decisions. Decisions.

phacemeltar
02-09-2014, 06:17 PM
there are a few texture packs floating around forums that greatly improve the classic models, check here (http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Technical). i personally use the psycher cell-shaded texture pack, but i have read good things about the high-res package that is on that page. iirc, there are also some others on forums that have not yet been added to that wiki page.

also, if you can figure out how to do high-res textures with velious armor, i would be very interested as to know how.

utenan
02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Use what you like. Here's a similar thread discussing this a bit http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=427744

The werewolf comparison on page 3 sums up my beef with the newer models pretty well, they look like clay and of course in classic they don't match the environment. People complain about the animations being weird as well and armor loosing it's style / uniquness.

Danth
02-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Luclin models means you don't get Velious armor textures. This server will stop with Velious. Perhaps that's something to consider. I use the old models because they mesh better than the Luclin models do with the rest of the game in terms of style of animations and polygon count.

Danth

Ele
02-09-2014, 06:28 PM
old models 4 life

constelllations
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
kinda wish someone would redo the wood elves because the female WE chests (luclin models) are so weird looking

Kazi
02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Classic models for sure. The updated ones are turrible

Ajkuhuun
02-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Physically I love the Luclin models, buuuut...Velious textures won't show up on them :( I mean I totally dig the model itself, but not how it changed armor in the game. When I started playing you could run through the tunnel and be like OMG that guy raids this or that, afterwards there just wasn't that unique take on armor anymore :(

...well not that Velious is out yet but soon?

jarshale
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Why would anyone want Luclin models? Disgusting.

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
^

I never really made a conscious decision to use or not use them in the past. On live back then i had no idea verant folded into SOE because it wasn't something I paid attention to at that age. When luclin launched with new graphics, I just assumed the old models were around still for people who's pcs weren't advanced enough. Never even gave it a second thought until years later after I had come
To associate the luclin models with my old memories of EQ.

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Of course now it's super easy to see how much less inspired they are than the original. Thanks for the responses so far though guys I'm going to look into those texture packs. Might make for an easier transition.

My goal is to keep everything off but iksar.

rollin5k
02-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Classic for everything. I can't even fathom using Luclin models. I feel like they don't match the world right artistically. classic pets too

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Classic for everything. I can't even fathom using Luclin models. I feel like they don't match the world right artistically. classic pets too

This is interesting. I was feeling like my character was heavily contrasting with the world. It's one of the things that is leading me towards a change. It's a lot easier to use the luclin models when you're running around (wait for it) Luclin and pop. In the old world, definitely some artistic dissonance.

Consider my decision getting easier.

phacemeltar
02-09-2014, 07:29 PM

how do you use classic pets?

edit: by this i mean without using the settings executable, as it does not seem to reflect my options. maybe to change the txt file?

Wildino
02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I dont have read the OP beside title, i havent read any answer. No point, no debate.

Anyone using Luclin models should be insta perma banned and have his comp burned 4ever. Not talking about RL curses and shit.

phacemeltar
02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
I dont have read the OP beside title, i havent read any answer. No point, no debate.

Anyone using Luclin models should be insta perma banned and have his comp burned 4ever. Not talking about RL curses and shit.

its not even page 3 and already someone is picking a fight.. what is wrong with the internets?

rollin5k
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
If you run through "eqgame.exe" patchme, then click options and deselect elementals i think that controls it. Hard to remember since i did it the first time i laid eyes on those atrocities again a year or so ago. If that doesn't do it duxa installer will

BahamutDF
02-09-2014, 08:00 PM
how do you use classic pets?

edit: by this i mean without using the settings executable, as it does not seem to reflect my options. maybe to change the txt file?

6. Elementals
Elementals MUST be turned on via eqclient.ini

Code:

UseLuclinElementals=TRUE

copy pasta from:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573003

Obviously in this case set it to FALSE

phacemeltar
02-09-2014, 08:20 PM
6. Elementals
Elementals MUST be turned on via eqclient.ini

Code:

UseLuclinElementals=TRUE

copy pasta from:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573003

Obviously in this case set it to FALSE

ty! i been trying to figure this out for some time now..

Asap
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
old models 4 life

Millburn
02-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Everything should be old models, there's not a single redeeming element of the luclin models.

Telin
02-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Old models!

They may be boxier and lower res, but they're more polished. Their animations are smoother, they have better posture, and have an art style that is more in line with Norrath.

Luclin models were disappointing. They kinda lean to one side, run funny, cast spells boringly, and their armor is just clunky to me.

Grimfan
02-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Old models!

They may be boxier and lower res, but they're more polished. Their animations are smoother, they have better posture, and have an art style that is more in line with Norrath.

Luclin models were disappointing. They kinda lean to one side, run funny, cast spells boringly, and their armor is just clunky to me.

Agreed, I tried to go back and play EQLive but couldn't because of the models basically :/

Xelris
02-10-2014, 12:24 AM
The one exception I find is the elemental/pet models. Not because I like them more artistically, but because I can more easily tell which direction they're facing (I main a rogue).

NextGenesis88
02-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Personally, I came into classic never really being too familiar with the classic models as I started during PoP to LoY era with the Luclin models which I liked and was used to, but the more I played the more I loved the classic models. Honestly I didn't really like them when I first started. They do seem more polished and have better animations, but I think the big thing here is that when they came out with Luclin models they kind of lost the charm of the original, gnomes weren't cute anymore, trolls and ogres turned very awkward and different, some just look straight weird such as the dwarf and human faces, and the elementals just went from cute to creepy. I do think the Iksars and Elves looked decent, but I just prefer to use the classic ones now.

Honestly I sometimes switch on Luclin models here and there for a day, but I always go back. Luclin models are so lanky and have awkward faces. I use the edited classic models which were made to look higher res without changing anything.

webrunner5
02-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Why would anyone want Luclin models? Disgusting.

Man the Ogre Troll Models just SUCK in Luclin models. :(:( But I must admit the Armour does look better.

Gustoo
02-10-2014, 01:46 AM
No one is going to see your luclin models and tbh they dont match the game at all and look retarded. You should match the era and use classic models. Velious textures are going to look really exciting on the classic models and don't look like anything on the luclin models.

Nirgon
02-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Classic models or die in a fire.

justin2090
02-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Luclin Iksar model is boss. Looks like a classic Iksar on steroids. Fuckin super shredder for real.

BahamutDF
02-10-2014, 04:18 AM
All classic models turned on. Including Iksar.

Consider me converted. Although my Barb looks like he needs to eat a wooly mammoth. Seriously, for his height, he's pretty slim. I guess they're underfed up in Halas.

BahamutDF
02-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Luclin Iksar model is boss. Looks like a classic Iksar on steroids. Fuckin super shredder for real.

I agree with this.

myriverse
02-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Only people that like the original models are grognards with poor sight, imo. Luclin models are vastly objectively superior.

Coridan
02-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I like the faces on the Luclin models, not so....flat. The style change for Ogres was blasphemic though.

Clark
02-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Victoria Secret models.

baalzy
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Only people that like the original models are grognards with poor sight, imo. Luclin models are vastly objectively superior.

You like that all your elves are doing the michael jackson lean and are about to topple onto their faces?

mnemonikos82
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Only models I ever had turned on to Luclin on live (even into 2009) was Ogres, Trolls, and Dwarves. I HATE the way that luclin models sit on their knees. Makes em look like they're getting ready to go all basketball diaries on their crack dealer.

I really don't like the classic ogre and troll models. I thought that was something that Luclin did right. They're muscular and mean looking as opposed to fat and stupid.

nilbog
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
full classic

BahamutDF
02-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Only models I ever had turned on to Luclin on live (even into 2009) was Ogres, Trolls, and Dwarves. I HATE the way that luclin models sit on their knees. Makes em look like they're getting ready to go all basketball diaries on their crack dealer.

I really don't like the classic ogre and troll models. I thought that was something that Luclin did right. They're muscular and mean looking as opposed to fat and stupid.

I think the point, based on the lore (in particular for Ogres who were cursed/ struck down by the gods), was that they were SUPPOSED to appear/be stupid.

I agree the Luclin Ogre/Trolls look "meaner" but at the same time, the Luclin Ogre is stylistically boring and very generic. The Luclin troll looks ridiculous.

big mouth chew
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Luclin models? Ban

Skydash
02-10-2014, 04:54 PM
The animations of the Luclin female wood elf model are so bad... the twitchy stance, hunched shoulders, completely stupid /cheer (when did cheering become a fist pump?), as large as barbarians, folded leg sit (looks unnatural).
Some models look cool, like the dark elf and iksar, but the animations are so badly done.. even walking looks wrong/doofy.

The classic wood elf is sexy, even with the bucket head helmet.
I switched them all back to classic, even the pets look better lol.

Skittlez
02-10-2014, 05:02 PM
I use luclin models for Dwarf. That's because the classic Dwarf models look like complete shit though.

errorlvlacro
02-10-2014, 05:55 PM
yeah I think it's ridiculous that they sit on their knees. No man or warrior sits like this. New elves look pretty hot with nice bods, but as soon as they start moving they look so derpy and unnatural.

Arterian
02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Luclin models look like a high school 3D art project.

phacemeltar
02-10-2014, 06:14 PM
i like the luclin gnomes, just wish the animations were better. also the halflings are cool looking if it werent for the ugly (repetitive) gear.

JayN
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM
old models 4 life

gwideon
02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
With Luclin models, you don't get dark elf hot pants.

RiffDaemon
02-11-2014, 12:47 AM
The werewolf comparison on page 3 sums up my beef with the newer models pretty well, they look like clay and of course in classic they don't match the environment.

The original werewolf looks like a goddamned nightmare. It's got murder in its eyes. Look at that thing. I'd shit my pants if that came running at me.

That charm is lost on the newer model.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Classic or gtfo

Millburn
02-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Lots of people using Luclin models, new fuel for the black list!

Fregar
02-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Luclin models are ugly and poorly animated.
They should have improved old ones instead of starting new ones from scratch.

I went to live recently and have been surprised to see them unchanged after so many years. Luckily there's still the option to turn them off, but nothing can be done about NPCs.

RiffDaemon
02-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Luckily there's still the option to turn them off

Not if you want to use a mount :(