PDA

View Full Version : Why not create an additional server that is boxing friendly?

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 11:49 AM
You have a majority of people who are strictly against boxing for valid reasons, it is the server rule, and it is probably something that will never be changed on the original server.

But why not create another pve/pvp server that is 2 or 3 boxing friendly? You do have a relatively high number of people who are unhappy on the forum that boxing is not allowed on the server. It would probably require a lot less man power to regulate (probably just need 1/5 of the GMs only for the purpose of mainly exploits of bugs and other 'illegal' activities) The server could definitely serve as an experimental tool, watching the economy, playing pattern, population, and perhaps to decline (if what everyone claiming that boxing ruined everquest was true)

I tried searching for this topic but without avail, most of the 'boxing' topic was some sort of plea to allow boxing for certain reasons or on pvp servers.

Tecmos Deception
01-30-2014, 11:53 AM
HOW ABOUT 100 DIFFERENT SERVERS THEN EVERYONE CAN PICK THE ONE THEY LIKE?

khanable
01-30-2014, 11:54 AM

I want a server where every NPC is named after something edible

guys a relatively high number of players want this so c'mon

sulpher01
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Can we make one where everyone gets access to cshome too? I've always wanted to wear some GM gear...

Lisset
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Is it really so hard to be social enough so people will actually play with you? It's not as if finding groups is terribly difficult.

Asap
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Perhaps if you can provide the hosting costs $$$

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Hehehe I didn't want to be the one to post this. Thank you Tecmos.

Step 1) Search "y i can not haz my on survir 4 boxin"
Step 2) Read comments, specifically about volunteer staff, hardware, implementation, rule set etc...
Step 3) Put index finger in your mouth and make "pop" noise.
Step 4) Turn off computer and sit in the snow/grass. Think about ways to successfully adapt to current "problem server".

You're welcome.

This thread is now ready for RnF. Have at em' guys!!

myriverse
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
You're in their house. You eat their food.

sox7d
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
You have a majority of people who are strictly against boxing for valid reasons, it is the server rule, and it is probably something that will never be changed on the original server.

But why not create another pve/pvp server that is 2 or 3 boxing friendly? You do have a relatively high number of people who are unhappy on the forum that boxing is not allowed on the server. It would probably require a lot less man power to regulate (probably just need 1/5 of the GMs only for the purpose of mainly exploits of bugs and other 'illegal' activities) The server could definitely serve as an experimental tool, watching the economy, playing pattern, population, and perhaps to decline (if what everyone claiming that boxing ruined everquest was true)

I tried searching for this topic but without avail, most of the 'boxing' topic was some sort of plea to allow boxing for certain reasons or on pvp servers.

Trollbait... move along everyone.

Daldaen
01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Is it really so hard to be social enough so people will actually play with you? It's not as if finding groups is terribly difficult.

It's not so much that it's hard. But there are certain people I don't have any interest in interacting with.

I'd play on a box server for sure. Boxing adds a definite challenge and speeds up the pace of the game.

But the reason they wouldn't implement this is because they don't want to fragment the player base --- though they made R99; fortunately most people know how terrible EQ PvP is and 90% stayed on blue.

So it is moot unless you hacked P99s code copied it and hosted your own server.

Tiggles
01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
This is that Jeremy guy from TMO.

Of course he wants to box

Daldaen
01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
This is that Jeremy guy from TMO.

Of course he wants to box in Lower Guk again

Ftfy

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
No, I'm not 'the Jeremy guy from TMO', with my play time I don't think I will ever be able to join TMO.

No I am not asking for anything and just making suggestions as there seem to be enough interest in such topic.

If I were to be asking for GM privilege I would just be making effort to formulate a private server that is close to P99 in terms of coding.

All I am suggesting is a server that seem to have certain amount of demand that can be scrapped at anytime as developers please to do so.

I don't see why there needs to be such hostility? If you don't like boxing, you can stick to the original server.

Daldaen
01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
The hostility stems from splitting the server is imagine. And people's irrational hatred of boxing.

You make this server you see peak population on normal server go from 1200 down to 1000 or 900. Then the people who stay on the server can't find a group since there are less people and then they blame boxing.

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I am sure there will be 'pro-boxing' people that are willing to contribute for the cost, at least I am willing to do so as long as I know it is not something that I pay and will get scrapped immediately.

Trying to socialize when the prime time you play has a server population of around 400-600 toons is not always that easy, especially when you do not have enough time to stick around long enough for it to eventually reach 1000+.

Sure I can always 'F off' and play runescape, or WoW, or EQ live, or whatever paid or f2p MMORPG I can fit the rule, but I am just making a suggestion that does not seem to be outlandish nor attract tiny minority.

I mean how much extra cost would it involve to have one extra server that is clone to the original and would probably have slightly less population?

Also, I am not suggesting 10000 suggestions for 10000 servers to meet every possible situations and demands.

Tecmos Deception
01-30-2014, 12:41 PM
If you don't like boxing, you can stick to the original server.

And if you DO like boxing, you can play somewhere else

:confused:

Spitty
01-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Also, I am not suggesting 10000 suggestions for 10000 servers to meet every possible situations and demands.

Nope, just one to meet your specific situation and demand. We get that.

This won't work. A server that allows boxing is likely an exponential increase to the required 3Ms - Money, Maintenance and Manpower. Money, for obvious reasons. Maintenance, because you have to test, patch and reboot the server just like any other. Manpower, because you have to answer petitions, drag corpses, investigate bugs and settle disputes just like any other.

Plus, if you think RMT/exploiting is bad on our current server - imagine the damage one or two people running 6+ characters each could cause. Are you going to pay the staff for all the extra investigative time that'll be necessary to ensure these multi-boxers aren't RMTing or running illegal scripts/macros? Hell, a team of four people could sufficiently play enough characters to raid VP. Are you going to volunteer on the staff to settle disputes between boxed armies?

Good luck.

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Nope, just one to meet your specific situation and demand. We get that.

This won't work. A server that allows boxing is likely an exponential increase to the required 3Ms - Money, Maintenance and Manpower. Money, for obvious reasons. Maintenance, because you have to test, patch and reboot the server just like any other. Manpower, because you have to answer petitions, drag corpses, investigate bugs and settle disputes just like any other.

Plus, if you think RMT/exploiting is bad on our current server - imagine the damage one or two people running 6+ characters each could cause. Are you going to pay the staff for all the extra investigative time that'll be necessary to ensure these multi-boxers aren't RMTing or running illegal scripts/macros? Hell, a team of four people could sufficiently play enough characters to raid VP. Are you going to volunteer on the staff to settle disputes between boxed armies?

Good luck.

Thank you for a more constructive reasoning. Yes I agree. But then I see that the red server is maintained without any issues while the population barely reaching over 100 most of the time, and a PVP server would require far more effort to police and deal with complaints than regular servers.

But the thing is that no one else can emulate pre-Luclin as well as p99 yet there is also demand for boxing on a pre-Luclin platform (just by doing a google search) so why not have something like that on the side, without touching the original no-boxing server? EZ server is boxing friendly yet still gets well over 300 players most of the time.

To the post above the quoted, yes I can simply 'F-off' to play something else as I said, but I am merely making a suggestion.

nilbog
01-30-2014, 01:17 PM
no

doeda
01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
I hate boxers, always have to find the right person to tell for a buff.....

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks for making this suggestion for the, who really knows, millionth time. The first nine hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred ninety nine times lead us to believe that it would just take one more push for boxing and it would happen...

Yes, it's certainly on Rogean and Nilbog's priority list now.

I am not suggesting to allow boxing on the original server, I am suggesting to create a new clone that allows it. So far I do not see such suggestion on the board.

If the developers and admins cannot be bothered with the cost and effort for a new server in the beginning, regardless of any financial supporting from 'pro-boxing' crowd, then I have no say. But if it is something that doesn't bother them much and something they can consider about, then I don't see why the idea has to be resisted? If the new server only needs to get updated and rebooted the same way/time as the original server, I don't see much extra effort needed. Plus the players are playing with the knowledge that others will also box as well, so the queries will not be exponential.

As for cannibalizing the population of the original server, I feel that there will be far more new players joining who were originally put off by the idea of 'no boxing allowed' rule, than people on the original server migrating to the new server.

Plus, if the players who were forced to play 'one toon at a time' rule and see the opportunity to migrate to something that they enjoy more, why not let them? And if the experience turn out to be not what they wanted, they can always go back to the original server with their original characters. It's not like I am requesting for a character transfer as well.

yaaaflow
EZ server is boxing friendly yet still gets well over 300 players most of the time.

Or does it get 50-100 players each playing 3-6 accounts?

jeremy0818
no

Well if nilbog says no, then I guess its a no. Thread closed then :-)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-30-2014, 01:34 PM
no

Great comments all around. OP did in fact get graped. What we need now is for someone to:
- remove all posts except original, "no" from Nilbog and final comment by OP.
- use bold typeface, maybe comic sans font.
- sticky.

Good work all.

drktmplr12
01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
http://mgx.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/no.jpeg

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Great comments all around. OP did in fact get graped. What we need now is for someone to:
- remove all posts except original, "no" from Nilbog and final comment by OP.
- use bold typeface, maybe comic sans font.
- sticky.

Good work all.

Yeah I did get 'graped' because Nilbog did not want to open such server. But it still does not explain why such idea would not be financially feasible nor give any reasoning that it would have any negative impact on the original server.

myxomatosii
01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

nah

but, boxing.

nah

but, boxing.

nah

nah

but, boxing.

nah

no

nah

nah

but, boxing.

nah

but, boxing.

nah

http://mgx.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/no.jpeg

well ok.

Spitty
01-30-2014, 02:45 PM
You're on fire today, Booky.

Agno
01-30-2014, 02:46 PM
does not explain why --- nor give any reasoning

While I support boxing, I believe you are starting to (further) bark up the wrong tree here. My children, 10/8, continuously ask why when I say no and ask me to give them a reason. The simple truth is that they do not need to explain why, nor do they need to give any reasoning. The answer is no, and that is that. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

drktmplr12
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Go onto live... You will routinely see one guy playing 6 characters with macro quest and what not. Not to say that means we should not allow boxing.. but that goes against harboring a community.

Once you allow boxing, it gives players the means to solo effectively on their own terms. You will see less grouping. Suddenly people will expect you to level 2 characters at once because why not? So the guy who doesn't want to box is now at a disadvantage because he doesn't want to switch between screens every 10 seconds.

Our community has 1200 players online at prime time. 1200! Without boxing, that is incredible. We don't need boxing because there is plenty to do without it. There are plenty of people to play with, and 0 reasons to have boxing.

To your question of providing a second ruleset server... Trust me when i say that a boxing server is destined to fail here. First, the community doesn't want it. Second, it will adversely affect the population of the existing server. Just what we need. Lets take our 1200 prime time and split it 600/600 because people will want to play a wiped server regardless of it allowing boxing. Then eventually it will settle at 900/300 or 900/200.

It's a meaningless endeavor to undertake because it does not provide any added value to this community.

I hope this addresses your concern of why not.

ps.

This doesn't even touch on the interactions between servers, cross server plat trades, new ruleset to create/enforce because it will create more problems. See the pvp server...there are staff members dedicated to that server. The last thing our gracious powers to be need is additional overhead and headache.

LizardNecro
01-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Your server exists here:

http://www.kpemu.com/index.php

drktmplr12
01-30-2014, 03:13 PM
odamn

baalzy
01-30-2014, 03:13 PM
I used to be in support of boxing here. I love boxing. I boxed whenever I went back to EQ post-POP. I boxed in FFXI. I've boxed in multiple other f2p MMOs. I'll likely box Pantheon if I play it.

Why I don't support it here or on a new blue? Once stagnation hits then it just crowds out any new comers because people will be able to solo (person) camp all of the most valuable areas. Eventually the population withers and the whole thing dies.

Actively developed MMOs should never reach stagnation, or at least not stay in stagnation long, because they're actively being worked on to sate the appetites of those people, that's just not going to happen on this project.

Naskin
01-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Only read the title, but we can't have boxing here. We all know that boxing can just destroy EverQuest servers. It starts with people getting mad at each other, then hitting each other really hard. Usually they stop hitting each other after a while, but at some point someone will break the rules and bite someone's ear off. Before you know it, everyone on the server thinks they're Mike Tyson. This is why we cannot promote boxing. We should keep boxing limited to places like Madison Square Garden and MGM Grand.

gwideon
01-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Once you have boxing eventually someone will box the already limited raid content and people will leave the server.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Once you have boxing eventually someone will box the already limited raid content and people will leave the server.

But if you take away boxing, only outlaws will have box

Or something

Skaey
01-30-2014, 04:54 PM
You could do what I did instead of boxing. I made my wife start playing with me. She hates EQ and has hated it since I started playing in original. She literally puts me on autofollow and watches tv and occasionally fires off the macro i set up for her to cast her nuke. It's kind of like being really bad at boxing.

Vidar
01-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Shut your whore mouth!

NextGenesis88
01-30-2014, 06:45 PM
I am not for lowing our server pop. Is it really that big of a deal? It's just counter-productive for the server and I think people should finally just get over it to be honest. We are lucky we have people paying their own money and little donations to run 2 as it is. They don't have disposable income to throw out server after server. Everything should be focused on the ones we have IMO. You could also go play SoD if you want to box or find another emu.

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Thank you all for the reply, so I guess the summary is:

- Don't want the resources to get split to something else, but PVP server is an exception where it is still a welcomed alternative regardless that it could be less populated than a boxing server

- There is enough temptation for a lot of people on the original server that temporary or permanent migration will really shake down the population

- General population would rather have the people 'on the border' to either play with no boxing rule, or go play something else, but don't want something in the middle to exist as it would lead to above two points

I used to be in support of boxing here. I love boxing. I boxed whenever I went back to EQ post-POP. I boxed in FFXI. I've boxed in multiple other f2p MMOs. I'll likely box Pantheon if I play it.

Why I don't support it here or on a new blue? Once stagnation hits then it just crowds out any new comers because people will be able to solo (person) camp all of the most valuable areas. Eventually the population withers and the whole thing dies.

Actively developed MMOs should never reach stagnation, or at least not stay in stagnation long, because they're actively being worked on to sate the appetites of those people, that's just not going to happen on this project.

- Thank you baalzy, this is probably the explanation I was looking for

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Your server exists here:

Thank but I was looking for something more like Epic Emu than custom content stuff. But at least for now Epic Emu does not seem to be up and running yet, either that it is just a pipe dream or a scam I don't know.

Sinestria
01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
This server is very clearly anti-boxing. It's stated everywhere and advertised as a classic, no-boxing server. Why would you even try to bring up a boxing server?

Would you go to catholic mass to try to convert people to Islam?

Tecmos Deception
01-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for the reply, so I guess the summary is:

- Don't want the resources to get split to something else, but PVP server is an exception where it is still a welcomed alternative regardless that it could be less populated than a boxing server

- There is enough temptation for a lot of people on the original server that temporary or permanent migration will really shake down the population

- General population would rather have the people 'on the border' to either play with no boxing rule, or go play something else, but don't want something in the middle to exist as it would lead to above two points

Most passive-aggressive post of the year so far!

Vidar
01-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Seriously, Why come to our server, love it, then try and change it? Play it for what it is or GTFO!

radditsu
01-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Your server exists here:

Its good fun.

I Also like Grand Creation. Tons of Eqmac folk went over after alkabor died.

Killians over at Grand Creation fixed up a pretty easy and comprehensive macro. Much love to the irish red!
https://code.google.com/p/e3-macro-builds/

Sarajo
01-30-2014, 09:24 PM
http://trappednowhere.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/kill-the-beast-gif1.gif
Drown the witch, etc etc

actually, while you're at it, make a server for PLers too. Multiboxers and PL server. They can have 200x XP rate and get outta the way of actual groups of actual players of an actual game.

jeremy0818
01-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Most passive-aggressive post of the year so far!

I didn't mean to lead it that way but somehow ended up like that :-)

Seriously, Why come to our server, love it, then try and change it? Play it for what it is or GTFO!

As I said, I am not trying to change anything on the original server. No need to get so hostile, I am just making a suggestion for a discussion. Such hostile response reminds me of when certain politicians goto certain countries, a group of citizens start flipping cars and burning flags/effigees.

actually, while you're at it, make a server for PLers too. Multiboxers and PL server. They can have 200x XP rate and get outta the way of actual groups of actual players of an actual game.

Like I said before, I am not trying to create 10000 suggestions here. By the way, PL is still allowed on the current server

Clark
01-30-2014, 11:49 PM
PEQ server allows boxing multiple clients. I played there before P99 release, but couldn't imagine going back or to a different server now.

citizen1080
01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Team based pvp server w/ boxing and FV ruleset. Go

Sarajo
01-31-2014, 01:46 AM
You could do what I did instead of boxing. I made my wife start playing with me.

Two friends of mine just quit P99 because they boxed together, IP exemption and all that, and got harassed by someone who kept reporting them as multiboxing. The GM made them get on Skype at the same time and do some Simon Says or something to prove their innocence(I thought this was a really creative solution! Make them do things no boxer could, especially holding a convo at the same time) They did, but afterwards the scrotewank who reported them was like "I'm gonna keep reporting you for boxing lol because I don't care lol I know your boxing lol" and they decided to find something better to do with their time than be bullied by whoever he was.

Anyway, I didn't ask who the d-bag was. I didn't think harassment-through-troll-reporting would be effective, either on my friends or on P99 customer service, but they decided a server with people like that wouldn't be very fun to spend time on.

Yay, cyber-bullying.

And now back to the thread topic: A hypothetical teams-PVP, FV Ruleset, boxing-friendly server would also require AoE fear added to one random NPC in every dungeon/camp. Loooooool

jeremy0818
01-31-2014, 02:14 AM
Two friends of mine just quit P99 because they boxed together, IP exemption and all that, and got harassed by someone who kept reporting them as multiboxing. The GM made them get on Skype at the same time and do some Simon Says or something to prove their innocence(I thought this was a really creative solution! Make them do things no boxer could, especially holding a convo at the same time) They did, but afterwards the scrotewank who reported them was like "I'm gonna keep reporting you for boxing lol because I don't care lol I know your boxing lol" and they decided to find something better to do with their time than be bullied by whoever he was.

Anyway, I didn't ask who the d-bag was. I didn't think harassment-through-troll-reporting would be effective, either on my friends or on P99 customer service, but they decided a server with people like that wouldn't be very fun to spend time on.

Yay, cyber-bullying.

And now back to the thread topic: A hypothetical teams-PVP, FV Ruleset, boxing-friendly server would also require AoE fear added to one random NPC in every dungeon/camp. Loooooool

that reminds me of a thread where one guy pointed out a case comparing PL service to boxing, where PL service is totally legit almost regardless of direct/indirect consequences such as hogging mobs in the zones and train caused, while having other similar effect as box PLing

jeremy0818
01-31-2014, 02:23 AM
PEQ server allows boxing multiple clients. I played there before P99 release, but couldn't imagine going back or to a different server now.

Thanks for the idea, perhaps I should give peq a try as well to decide whether it is classic eq experience or 2 boxing that is ultimately giving me the eq itch. Both would be better but it seems currently the only chance of that happening is if I make a server myself. Custom content is definately not what I am looking for though (skewed or modifiable stats, vast difference in xp per kill, although PLing indirectly leads to that, accurate item descriptions, maps etc)

Mandalore93
01-31-2014, 02:32 AM
It's not just about population in strict numbers but the effect it has on the server. Kill efficiency and game knowledge easily makes the population far higher than what the numbers say.

Vidar
01-31-2014, 06:40 PM

Yay, cyber-bullying.

That sucks for your friends. But you can thank the jerks that DO box for this crap. if it wasnt for them your friends wouldnt have been 'harassed'. The no Boxing Rule is there for a reason.