PDA

View Full Version : Mages: Useful in raids, or not so much?

Solb
01-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Working on my magician now, how are mages on raids? Too many? Not enough? Doesn't matter? Just curious of your opinions.

goshozal
01-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Memorize summon mod rod, memorize coth, buy 6 bags of pearls. Good to go.

diplo
01-28-2014, 04:32 PM
not enough mages on both servers.

You will be a CoH bot, mod rod bot. if you're lazy and bad with your pet your guild will prolly tell you to pretend to be a wizard.

yaaaflow
01-28-2014, 04:50 PM
not enough mages on both servers.

You will be a CoH bot, mod rod bot. if you're lazy and bad with your pet your guild will prolly tell you to pretend to be a wizard.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up why there aren't enough mages for raid guilds. There's certainly enough high level mage accounts, but raiding as a mage is so damn boring that they all either quit playing or switch to a class that gets to take part in raids and just leave their mage as a coh bot.

Edit: it's not like the guilds are jerks that insist on mages doing boring shit, it's that mage nukes are resisted by nearly every raid mob and they don't have much other utility value for them to do anything but be mana batteries for more useful classes.

diplo
01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
I used to 1hb with an RoA for some DPS, but even that got boring after a while.

Uteunayr
01-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Jumpy Robe + Rod of Annihilation. Go. :D

Tecmos Deception
01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Why is mage considered more boring than a wiz? You don't have lures, but regular nukes stick decent on Kunark targets anyway most of the time don't they? Resist debuff to help out on charms or take some load off of shamans (time the unresistable debuff from mage with a sini from a shaman shortly after?), coth pullers and whatnot, mod rods, nukes for bosses, pet to keep you somewhat occupied, handing out summoned booze and fireworks and shit.

Tuljin
01-28-2014, 08:49 PM
^^^

the only targets mage nukes dont stick to are lvl 60+ bosses, all other mobs they stick fine. mage pets kick ass and they have awesome utility esp with debuffs, coths, and modrods. i think the issue is there are several caster classes who generally dont really get out into dangerous dungeons much, mage being one of them ./

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Working on my magician now, how are mages on raids? Too many? Not enough? Doesn't matter? Just curious of your opinions.

Every non-melee class is fairly boring on raids.

Take what your class does well - not just okay but WELL - and do it repetitively until the raid is over.

Kind of an oversimplification but pretty close to reality.

Solb
01-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the responses!

williestargell
01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Mages may not be a blast to raid on, but they are needed. So if you want to fill a need, mage is a decent choice.

diplo
01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Why is mage considered more boring than a wiz? You don't have lures, but regular nukes stick decent on Kunark targets anyway most of the time don't they? Resist debuff to help out on charms or take some load off of shamans (time the unresistable debuff from mage with a sini from a shaman shortly after?), coth pullers and whatnot, mod rods, nukes for bosses, pet to keep you somewhat occupied, handing out summoned booze and fireworks and shit.

mages are most fun soloing/duoing money camps. CoTH is like the best spell in the game too.

Tecmos Deception
01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
mages are most fun soloing/duoing money camps. CoTH is like the best spell in the game too.

Every class that CAN solo/duo is the most fun that way :)

diplo
01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Every class that CAN solo/duo is the most fun that way :)

I would say Mage + sham/cle is a way better and more fun duo than a necro :)