PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics of Taunt?

TheFishyOne
01-25-2014, 05:05 PM
'ey guys.

I was having a conversation on the p99 Mumble about how Taunt works. Ultimately, neither of us knew the details, so I'm asking here.

At what skill level does Taunt become effective at peeling aggro?
Does the level of the person you're taunting off of matter in terms of whether Taunt succeeds or fails?
When determining whether a Taunt is successful, does the game check against anything other than your own Taunt skill?
After a Taunt, will the mob be guaranteed to be glued to you for a set period, like in *cough* other MMOs?

I understand that Taunt does nothing if you already have aggro, but am curious, as a new WAR, as to the finer details. If anyone knows anything, please post here!

Buriedpast
01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
At what skill level does Taunt become effective at peeling aggro?
Does the level of the person you're taunting off of matter in terms of whether Taunt succeeds or fails?
When determining whether a Taunt is successful, does the game check against anything other than your own Taunt skill?
After a Taunt, will the mob be guaranteed to be glued to you for a set period, like in *cough* other MMOs?

Thats how you ask a question.

1. Like all skills, semi reliable around 110-120. As a war it caps high enough its 80-90% or so effective.
2. No, it does not. Only between you and the mob with no care for the other person.
3. No, just your skill. Taunt is ineffective on 55+ mobs currently from my experiences, although its been 2 years since I've played a tank class on P1999. Confirm someone?
4. Taunt places you at the top of the hate list, plus 1 hate. So you can taunt and have someone else who was 2nd on the list then do 2 hate and have aggro back.
5. There is no 'sticking'.
6. From all my testing there is also a cap or ceiling on hate. Regardless of mob and hate built, a single word of redemption will pull aggro from any mob in the game. Ive tried this duoing ragefire with a SK chaining clinging and DC and have had a single WoR get me summoned. Seems odd in how hate behaves in this manner which leads me to this conclusion, perhaps its around 2500-3000hate, as a full mallet charge needs 2 casts of word of restoration to pull aggro, but a single wont pull aggro off 4 charges.

Have not fully messed around with the idea of a hate ceiling or cap above position #2 though, theres no encounter in the game I can think of it's worthwhile knowing about.

Bigsauce
02-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Hmm, I may be wrong, but being summoned doesn't always require being at the top of hate, does it?

Buriedpast
02-10-2014, 02:44 AM
You are wrong.

You can be below and then sit, which effectively makes you level 1, and then be summoned.

It's the two archaic intelligent ai functions in eq. Proximity and sitting presenting a weaker target. The proximity is based solely on melee range or not.

But it's easy to see why you'd get confused. Root a mob 3 times and dispel that root and you will be summoned. As you are on top of the hate list, but root means it's essentially proximity aggro.