PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Lost/Nerfed Item Compilation

Archestratie
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Heya,

My real name is Troy Costisick. Many years ago I compiled a list of removed/nerfed items from the classic era of EQ1 for a different project. I've been browsing your wiki, and noticed there are a number of them from that list which don't appear to be in your database from the info on the wiki.

If you're interested in the work I did, you can download it from Scribd here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/148034342/EQC-Lost-Item-Guide

At the very least, I hope it's interesting to you, and perhaps it will help you complete your database if some of it is missing.

Peace,

-Arch

baalzy
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
The wiki isn't run by the staff. Think you could theoretically register and update it if you want.

maximum
Cool list. What's missing from the Wiki?

Also, do you have any proof that some of these items existed? The RunnyEye and Befallen information seems a little wonky from what I experienced on Mithaniel Marr in 2000-2.

Asap
Nice list!

Archestratie
01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Cool list. What's missing from the Wiki?

Thanks! For instance, I just searched for something random like the "Goblin Eye Poker" or "Heartstone Amulet" and got no results.

Handull
01-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Nice list, I noticed one thing I believe to be wrong. You claim the quest for BFG was removed, but I believe the quest still works, only the Seaworthy Planking ground spawn was removed from the game. If you had the Planking, you could still complete the quest afaik.

Edit Also Classic CoS was instant cast. The nerfed version had a short case time. It was the cast time (or lack there of) not the number of changes, that made that item OP.

Ele
01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Got this link a few months back. Would be nice to actually have the links associated with each entry. Tried finding some info and some of these items only existed after Velious. Others are already beyond the timeline the server is currently in, but should definitely be implemented at some point for any future servers.

I'm definitely interested in finding out more info about the removal of some of Inny's weapons.

Archestratie
01-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Got this link a few months back. Would be nice to actually have the links associated with each entry. Tried finding some info and some of these items only existed after Velious. Others are already beyond the timeline the server is currently in, but should definitely be implemented at some point for any future servers.

I'm definitely interested in finding out more info about the removal of some of Inny's weapons.

I did include the links I used at the beginning of the work. Some of those sites are gone now, unfortunately, and you can't even get to them using the Wayback Machine. There also used to be a really great blog out there that included a lot of these removed items, but sadly, it and it's archive was erased. But my sources are listed, and I did think about including a link for each item, but that would have made the thing huge! It's already 86 pages :)

As for Inny's weapons, Hate got a lot of revamping early on. They made a first attempt at the zone after launch, but weren't happy with it, so they changed a bunch on Inny and the Maestro. Verant never officially talked about these changes much, but I can only guess that they felt some of these items were too powerful or caused programing glitches and had to be removed or nerfed.

koros
01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Some of this info is great... some is just wrong.

Asap
01-24-2014, 11:07 AM
From what i remember, Mosscovered twig was retroactively nerfed to secondary only

Asap
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Actually, this list might be useful

Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood

There was another thread that stated this weapon proc'd at lvl 1 initially.

Nerf/Removal Info:
This item was changed to not proc until level 35.
Personal Comment:
This action was taken to prevent twinking, however, itwas done some time after the release of Luclin. In classic, this weapon always proced at level 1.

koros
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
that is correct

Asap
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
that is correct

:eek:

Xelris
01-24-2014, 06:33 PM
I specifically twinked a rogue with that weapon because of that effect. Was awesome while it lasted (and it took a while to get nerfed, I level fairly slow and my alt rogue hit 49 before this happened).

Thulack
01-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah that was ultimate twink weapon when it procced at level 1.

Mac Dretti
01-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Kewl

Some of these past their prime, bummer. Would be nice to get proof of the findings so devs can wedge whatever is current and future into game.

Nirgon
01-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Dojo axe proc'd at level 1 for a very, very long time into Velious too. Probably into Luclin just like the Veno axe.

Archestratie
01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Kewl

Some of these past their prime, bummer. Would be nice to get proof of the findings so devs can wedge whatever is current and future into game.

I don't know where the server is right now, but if you give me a list of items, I'll see if I can dig up all the links. Like I said, I compiled it a few years ago. Tragically, some of the archives have been deleted, and that's where a lot of the information came from. Castersrealm, Allakahazam, and a couple other sites don't maintain a lot of their old information.

Vamael
01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
dojo and veno axe were nerfed in the same patch, it was the ulitmate newbie pvp weapon to grief people with. it lasted all of velious.

Mac Dretti
01-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't know where the server is right now, but if you give me a list of items, I'll see if I can dig up all the links. Like I said, I compiled it a few years ago. Tragically, some of the archives have been deleted, and that's where a lot of the information came from. Castersrealm, Allakahazam, and a couple other sites don't maintain a lot of their old information.

consider velious a few months away, work off of that

Byrjun
01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Bored camping ancient cyclops so I'll go through each item on this list and its relevance to P99:

A Glowing Black Stone - I don't remember this ever being range-usable. We're far past the nerf date in our timeline. Would need information as to whether the nerf was retroactive.

A Gunthak Harpoon - No idea how it was implemented here.

A Jagged Shard of Bone - Okay, so the "undead sprites" in lfay were part of the "Cazic" event in lfay, it lasted about 1 month from around June 5th 2001 to July 15th 2001. Those dates are most likely off by a few days. There were a bunch of items/quests available for a month's time, and then it was all removed. This will most likely be replicated here in mid-Velious.

A Servant's Blade - There's a lot of Befallen items here, so I'll address them all here. Allakhazam says they were removed August 2002 to be "taken over by a hoard of undead." The guide posted here says they were removed August 2001. Typo? Anyways, I don't think this Befallen "revamp" occurs until Velious or Luclin. One of the comments even says that the Servant's Blade has a Velious graphic.

Adarra's Bow of the Unseen - This is cool, would like to see it added to the coldain ring quest line. We need to know when it was removed as a reward, though.

Ashenbone Hammer - Your info is contradictory! You say it was removed in mid-2000, and then say it was removed with the Hate revamp. These are conflicting dates.

Axe of the Slayers - Never proced at level 1 here. We're far past the date when this would have been nerfed, but we need to know when it was nerfed if P99 ever resets.

Ball of Golem Clay - Again, we need more information man. P99 has always used the potion form of this item, and I never heard of the Plane of Earth version dropping in CT. The CT revamp was in Luclin, so if this ever existed there should be tons of information on it. Are you sure about this one?

Band of the Arisen Cultist - Simple Allakhazam search indicates that he was part of a 2-3 week long event in TT during Luclin or PoP. Not classic.

Barbed Scale Whip - I believe this item was accurate portrayed on p99.

Basilisk Bracer - This is on the server, but I'm not sure if it was ever removed. October 1999 is way before our current timeline. Anyways I don't know a whole lot about this item, as it's pretty lackluster and there's multiple upgrades in zones next to him. Sounds like the deep lava basilisk spawned somewhere in lava and didn't roam, not sure if that was its behavior here.

Bassoon Haste Gauntlets - Drops or dropped from Maestro... not sure if it's removed yet. I don't think the haste was ever 46%, though. I remember doing research on these and seeing a lot of disputes on the actual haste %, how did you settle on the 46% number?

Beckon - Verant would not remove an item just because Iksar can't use it when they could simply just add Iksar to the available races if that was their intention. Anyways, I'm assuming this is just another item like Ashenbone Hammer that was removed during the Hate revamp. This stuff just rotted anyways.

Black Iron X - Will be removed with future Runnyeye update.

Blade of the Black Dragon Eye - Was here, was removed.

Bladestorm, Katana of Steel Sleet - Only two of these ever dropped, and that was because CT had 2 in his loot table (considering how rare these were, that's pretty amazing). Less of these probably exist here than did on the live servers.

Box of Abu-Kar - Was here, is gone.

Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher - Velious item, will be here.

Circle of Shadow - Nothing much to say here except I find it funny that your reasoning for it being nerfed was because it had unlimited charge of invis. The post-nerf version also had unlimited charges of invis, the issue was the instant cast. Anyways, this is here and won't be change for a long, long time if ever (very late Velious I believe).

Cloak of Shadows - The invis effect is interesting and would match the "lore" of the npc who drops it. Need more information, even though we're most likely past the point that it gets nerfed anyways.

Cloak of Imperception - Mid-Velious era item (Chardok revamp). It's funny that you mention all of these items being nerfed because they have invis clickies, but never mention invis rings from SK or invis pots you could buy from vendors for 10pp, which were the most powerful invis clickies in the game and were never nerfed. I'm not sure if you're misinterpreting the reason that these items were nerfed, or if Verant was just really dumb and inconsistent.

Cros Treewind's Staff - In game, and Cros was just replaced by the grizzly on p99.

Crossbone Cape - You suggest that these NPCs were available from Kunark day 1, but other research seems to suggest sometime around 2002 (non-classic): http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29378

Deluxe Sewing Kits - Pretty sure Large Sewing Kits were always 8 slots here :(.

Denon's Disruptive Discord - Confused why this is on the list when dozens of other spell changes like Whirl Til You Hurl (first spell nerfed in EQ) weren't included. Anyways, I'm pretty sure bards still swarm kite so I don't think this is nerfed yet. I know nothing about Bards, though. Any information on when this was nerfed?

Donal's Chestplate of Mourning - Please Lord Nilbog, nerf this on day 1 of Velious if not earlier. It was/is way, way too op.

Earring of Grachnist - I don't think this ever dropped here, and I could never find evidence of it ever dropping on live. It's on Allakhazam, but no one seems to have ever owned it. If you have more information, then go ahead and provide it.

Earthshaker - This stops dropping in like PoP, right? If so it will never affect a classic server like p99. If I remember correctly, this stops dropping but there's never any retroactive nerf. Which is strange since all that did was cause a "haves vs. have-nots" type situation regarding shakerpaging.

Earthshaker's Mantle - Pretty sure this has always had charges here. If it should be unlimited, we need more information as to when that gets nerfed.

Ebon Backpack - We need to know when this gets nerfed if we want to consider adding it to p99.

Ebon Scythe - See A Servant's Blade.

Emerald Armor Breastplate - We're past the timeline that this gets nerfed, but we need more information in case there's a p99 reboot. It's really curious that the item icon you've presented for this item is LDON-era.

Emerald Cloak of the Fayguard - See A Jagged Shard of Bone. You make it seem like this quest was always available and Verant "took the fun out of the zone" by removing this quest, but the reality is that it was a special 1 month long event during mid-Velious.

Enchanted Fine Steel X - Appears to be GM event items. If it was added as Befallen loot, see my comments on A Servant's Blade. I don't think this was day 1 classic era Befallen loot as you seem to suggest.

Fanged Skull Stiletto - Many people knew of this item long before the Rogue epic was ever introduced. I've read all sorts of rumors from it dropping in Kedge, dropping in Plane of Fear, and dropping from Mayong Mistmoore. On P99 this was indeed dropped by Mayong Mistmoore. He was killed twice, and then removed. I believe the Rogue epic method of obtaining this still exists... but there isn't much of a reason for doing that.

Fishgill Neckslash - See Crossbone Cape.

Flowing Red Silk Sash - See Crossbone Cape.

Fungus Covered Great Staff - Dropped and subsequently nerfed here.

Gem Encrusted Ring - Dropped from giants in FM, and I believe it's removed now. I don't think it drops from Reet Shamans/Wizards - proof on that?

Gem Encrusted Circlet - Drops here. Removal is post-classic I believe.

Glimmer Ring - Never dropped here, but was given out in GM events I believe. If this item was retroactively removed on live, then none should exist on p99 which I don't think is the case. Need more information on the method of removal.

Green Platemail Gloves - Never dropped here. Seems similar to the fabled "Green Splinted Mail" armor that was removed either early after release or during beta (most likely the latter).

Goblin Eye Poker - No idea if this ever dropped here or if it was removed.

Goblin Two-Handed Sword - Dunno much about this weapon either. Both of these are quite lackluster, don't understand why they would be removed.

Golem Metal Wand - Dropped here, and I think has been removed.

Guise of the Deceiver - Dropped here, and was removed. Has been a reward for GM events.

Heartstone Amulet - Definitely seems to be information out there about this dropping in Mistmoore, but don't think it ever dropped here. Maybe it could be given out in a GM event. This has nothing on Puppet Strings.

Holgresh Elder Beads - Velious era item, will be nerfed... eventually.

Iksar Hide Mask - Don't think this item ever gave the Iksar regen and AC bonus (on p99). Needs more information.

Illusionist's Stone - I think this dropped here, because I think I've seen people with it. Not sure when it got nerfed, but could probably just do a forum search for that info.

Incarnadine Breastplate - Currently in the "anyone can click" version.

Issued Footman Armor - Needs more information. Don't understand why this would be removed if it was essentially cloth armor.

Jade Chokidai Prod - Still pre-nerf here I believe. What a strange nerf.

Journeyman's Boots - Once dropped from Drelzna here.

Kelin`s Seven Stringed Lute - Drops or dropped from Maestro... not sure if it's removed yet.

Locket of Escape - Dropped here, removed here. In your defense of this item's nerf, you forgot to mention the fact that it can be recharged.

Lustrous Russet - Dropped here, removed here. Sometimes given out in GM events.

Manastone Dropped here, removed here. They were farmed way more than they ever were on live, so you can still buy them for 120-160k plat.

Mempo of Likato - Drops or dropped from Maestro... not sure if it's removed yet.

Mosscovered Branch/Twig - Dropped here, altered here.

Ornate Runed Dagger - Don't think this was ever on p99, need more information in case of a reboot.

Pearly Sarnak Bangle - You're mistaken, this isn't a Kunark item. It was added with the Chardok revamp in mid-to-late Velious.

Polyphenomenal Axe - I believe this dropped here, and was removed.

Pristine Studded X - See A Servant's Blade.

Pulsing Goo - Velious item, needs more information.

Red Dragon Tooth - Believe this still drops here, when is it removed?

Red Wurm Gut - No idea if this drops from Phurzikon here.

Rhino Hide Armor - Again, don't know if this drops/dropped in Kurns on p99. Need information on when it was moved to a vendor.

Robe of Living Fungus - This did have the regen effect here, and it was retroactively nerfed.

Rod of Annihilation - Dropped here, removed here.

Rod of Mourning - Dropped here, removed here. Replaced with Rod of Lamentation.

Rubicite Armor - Dropped here, removed here.

Runed Fighter's Staff - Dropped here, removed here. Replaced with Imbued Fighter's Staff.

Sarnak Ceremonial Bracer - No idea. Needs more information.

Sarnak Liberator - Still drops here, I think?

Sarnak Wristguard - No idea. Needs more information.

Sash of Infinite Blows - Droppable 41% haste? I can see why it was removed. I do see references of it on the web, but it was never on p99. Need more information in case of a reboot.

Scimitar of the Mistwalker - Dropped here, and the devs were fanatic about getting all stages of its nerfs/changes correct.

Scourgetail Whip - I assume this was always 5/30 here. I don't think p99 would implement a 30 damage 5 delay weapon from a level 10 mob just because someone at Verant made a typo in 1999.

Scouting Dagger - No idea.

Spell: Sense Magic - What exactly did this spell do? You say it was replaced because it wasn't very useful... but who considers True North to be useful? Needs more information (this never existed here).

Shield of the Arisen Cultist - See Band of the Arisen Cultist.

Shield of the Immaculate - Currently ALL/ALL with instant cast Cure Disease, I believe. Not sure if it ever had a Rune effect here. Once again, need more information.

Shimmering Ruby Stiletto - See A Servant's Blade.

Sharlok Pack - Was overlooked when Verant implemented Pending Lore / Lore. Finally gets changed to Lore a few months after Velious is released. So yes, this was lore in the classic period.

Silk Lined Steel X - No idea, needs more information.

Silver Plated War Sword - See A Servant's Blade.

Singing Steel Boots / Greaves - Currently summon food/drink, think this gets changed in Velious sometime.

Skeletal Rod - No idea. Needs more information.

Skull Mask of Innervation - This has been handed out in at least one GM event. Need more information about it dropping in Plane of Hate.

Small Brass Trumpet - Don't think this dropped here. We need more information (see a theme forming yet?).

Solist's Icy Wand - MAGIC / LORE on the wiki, so I trust that it's correct here.

Sorrowsong Boots - Dude, these dropped in the revamped CT during Luclin... nothing classic about these boots at all.

Staff of Forbidden Rites - Yea... this item isn't very classic on P99. Its buyback price is like 20 million plat for some reason. People would definitely vendor recharge these on live. I'm not sure why they're nerfed here when a lot of other chargeable items aren't.

Staff of the Arisen Cultist - See Band of the Arisen Cultist.

Staff of Temperate Flux - Currently Lower Element I here, and I think it's always been that way. Need information confirming that the clicky used to be Malaise and when it was changed.

Stone of Morid - Currently Iksar only here, not sure when it becomes all large races.

Targishin's Bone Mask - Drops on p99.

Thaumaturgist's Sash - Shrug.

Thex Dagger - Your quest description is really, really off from the classic Thex Dagger quest. I think what you have is the quest that replaced it, not the original... anyways, a lot of players did a lot of research on the original quest for this item. But for some reason when it was finally implemented here, it was just some easy custom quest thing to get the item out into the game. I really hope if they ever reboot p99 that they're able to implement the full classic quest in game since it's never existed here. It was one of the most interesting classic quests.

Totem of the Wizened Spirits - Dropped here, was removed here.

Unicorn Horn - I believe this still drops here.

Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood - Has been discussed here already.

Warding Star - Dropped here, was replaced with the Guardian Mace.

Werewolf Tail - Definitely need more information on this. Seems like a very easily obtainable 41% haste item, so I can see why it was removed. I can't find any information on this at all.

White Dragon Tooth - See Red Dragon Tooth.

Wurmslayer - This was Secondary and Range slot usable for some time and was nerfed. I don't think it was ever Piercing however, and I can see why. That would produce some overpowered backstabs.

Archestratie
01-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow, Byrjun! Epic post! I'll get to work on the extra info right away. Thanks for doing that :)

Archestratie
01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Okay, first update :)

Regarding A Servant's Blade, Ebon Scythe, Pristine Studded Armor, etc. Yes, August 2001 as a typo. They were removed in August 2002. I believe these mobs and items were implemented at one of two points: May 30 2001 in the same patch as Runnyeye or June 4 2001 in the "server information that wouldn't normally be announced" patch. June 27 2001 patch is also a possibility, but that would have required a quick turnaround for Allakhazam to get all that info posted and there is nothing in the patch that would suggest a zone alteration. All references about the items do begin in June 2001, so the patch that included them had to be prior to that.

Nocsucow
01-26-2014, 10:59 AM
nice list man

nilbog
01-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Thex Dagger -Your quest description is really, really off from the classic Thex Dagger quest. I think what you have is the quest that replaced it, not the original... anyways, a lot of players did a lot of research on the original quest for this item. But for some reason when it was finally implemented here, it was just some easy custom quest thing to get the item out into the game. I really hope if they ever reboot p99 that they're able to implement the full classic quest in game since it's never existed here. It was one of the most interesting classic quests.

The original quest for the Thex Dagger was used on the pvp server at least. Involving Tearon, his bracer, and Princess Lenya. It (the quest) was changed on live when the Shield of the Silent Watch was added. If there is argument about this, I'd like to know more because as far as I know, it was correct.

Byrjun
01-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Hopefully I didn't come across as defamatory. I did the Thex Dagger on the Red server, and it didn't seem very similar to this quest writeup (http://www.tokyo2001.com/game/eq/quest/hk/highkeep01.html), but it's been awhile. If I remember correctly it was a really simple "get some item from Highkeep, turn it in in Felwithe, turn it back in to someone in Highkeep."

nilbog
01-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Hopefully I didn't come across as defamatory. I did the Thex Dagger on the Red server, and it didn't seem very similar to this quest writeup (http://www.tokyo2001.com/game/eq/quest/hk/highkeep01.html), but it's been awhile. If I remember correctly it was a really simple "get some item from Highkeep, turn it in in Felwithe, turn it back in to someone in Highkeep."

It's all good. I'm just interested in getting this stuff correct. Isn't that the gist of that exact link?

Here is your bracer back.
Could you please hand the princess this amulet.
Here. Take this as proof that you have rescued me.
Felwithe -> Tolon
The Princess wanted you to have this. Now show yourself the door.

nilbog
01-26-2014, 12:26 PM
All this research is good though. As research or specifics are found for retroactive nerfs, please post in http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90916 with as much detail as possible.

Mac Dretti
01-27-2014, 05:24 PM
All this research is good though. As research or specifics are found for retroactive nerfs, please post in http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90916 with as much detail as possible.

It's locked lord nilbog

Archestratie
01-29-2014, 09:39 AM
This is the correct place to post my research on items that were not retroactively nerfed, right?

Bamz4l
02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Wurmslayer - This was Secondary and Range slot usable for some time and was nerfed. I don't think it was ever Piercing however, and I can see why. That would produce some overpowered backstabs.

wurmslayer was def piercing originally. When I got one on my ranger in classic, he had no piercing skill and it was a joke - as for backstabs, they were not rogue usable.

maximum
03-12-2017, 10:38 PM
I've added or edited a bunch of these nerfed items to the wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?limit=50&tagfilter=&title=Special%3AContributions&contribs=user&target=Maximum&namespace=&year=&month=3).