PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter CHA over 200

Daldaen
01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I read a little on tests Loraen did a year ago on the subject but it wasn't anything concrete or definitive.

Does having CHA over 200 help charm duration / lull critical resists as much as CHA under 200, is it less effective than CHA under 200, or is everything over 200 superfluous.

My chanter currently is 20 and has 215 unbuffed CHA (231 buffed CHA) I'm debating about dumping some of that CHA gear in favor of AC/HP gear or INT gear. But I'm curious if anyone has figured out through trials or just through hours of gameplay, whether 201-255 CHA has a noticeable impact on charm durations and lull failures.

Also... How much CHA do you 60 enchanters run around with when charming solo or group.

quido
01-22-2014, 09:41 AM
When charming Chardok Royals trash, I noticed a significant difference going from 230 charisma to 255. I'd recommend being capped if you're lulling or charming.

Tecmos Deception
01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
I can't really comment on how much it affects things because I've just always stayed right at (or very near) max charisma :)

Really though you're going to find just as many enchanters who swear 200 is all you should have as charisma whites like me. I think ... I forgot his name, but someone else did a little charisma testing too if you can find it on here.

Daldaen
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
So it looks like CHA buffs go from 16-18 at my level to 30 @ 34, 40 @ 49, and 50 @ 56. (Greater Antibody potions add 25CHA for 30min~)

I am assuming that is one of the buffs people keep up permanently and replacing gear as you go over the 255 buffed cap? So 205~ in buffed CHA is a goal for max level chanters? 180 if you are potioning I guess.

Any other buffs that stack with slot 1 chanter CHA and slot 3 potion? I think shaman/enchanter ones conflict.

quido
01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
You assume right - I always made every effort to max charisma on my enchanter, and mana/int was always a secondary sort of stat. At this point though I have a couple of mana/int pieces swapped in depending on the situation because I'm well over the cap.

Daldaen
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Figured as much.

Looking at my gear which is focused solely on CHA it looks like I could get maybe 7 more CHA (stop being a lazy chanter and swap in gazughi ring as needed instead of having it on permanently) which would sit me around 221 unbuffed, 240 buffed.

Beyond that though it looks like the only CHA upgrades are either extremely expensive (hierophant cloak, tranix crown which are only 1 / 2 CHA upgrades) or come from PoHate / PoSky Quest / Epic or Velious. So it appears my question is sort of moot until I get another 25 or so levels!

But thanks for the insight!

quido
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
that max cha isn't so important for charm at lower levels - it's pretty difficult to max until you get the helm and such from hate

enchanter charm is inordinately reliable at lower levels and decreases in reliability (per cha) as you level up

Tecmos Deception
01-22-2014, 10:59 AM
You think so, Jeremy? I always felt charm (and lull) were much less reliable until 30-40ish and then they started to settle in (of course, I also was only at 200 charisma at lower levels and it worked its way up to 255 by 45+). I chalked it up to the small absolute level difference needed to kill dark blues at lower levels compared to at 60.

Swish
01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Read this too pals, Loraen wasn't the only researcher:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=738889&postcount=52

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
I've posted it in another thread but I'll throw it in here too. I did not get my 30 something cha buff, I simply skipped it until I hit 49 (last night). Previous to this, my charisma was exactly 205 with my level 20 buff on (I want to say 187 unbuffed). Without giving you numbers I can definitely tell you sub-200 charisma is farrrrr worse for charm duration than even going for exactly 200. If I'm not paying attention and let my charisma buff drop by accident I will usually pound my head into my desk with short duration charms until I realize the buff wore off.

The difference between 205 and 227 (which is what I have now with 49 buff) is fairly negligible. I'm pretty sure I've noticed a difference but I couldn't tell you for certain.

Cool anecdotal evidence bro

goshozal
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Currently at 252 CHA. I had made plans to get one more CHA piece and swap out 2 other slots for ac/hp/mana. Did the math and the final CHA was 254.

http://i.imgur.com/xwQgU.gif

Daldaen
01-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Read this too pals, Loraen wasn't the only researcher:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=738889&postcount=52

Aye but that post talks about 95 CHA vs 220 CHA.

I'm asking cause I'm over 200 now with gear and buff, and I always hear/read "over 200 for charming", I was wondering if 200 gave diminishing returns above it or just was irrelevant above it. Cause being able to swap out CHA gear for HP gear would be glorious for my survival.

Swish
01-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm asking cause I'm over 200 now with gear and buff, and I always hear/read "over 200 for charming", I was wondering if 200 gave diminishing returns above it or just was irrelevant above it. Cause being able to swap out CHA gear for HP gear would be glorious for my survival.

Do your own research then and post the findings? :)

(you can only help people so much)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Anecdotally I can tell you 200+ appears to have diminishing returns which is consistent with the thought that any stat over 200 will yield fewer benefits.

Haven't had time nor the motivation to quantify what that would be, however, because the risk to the enchanter (being as hard as a soft-boiled egg) is so great, any opportunity you can take to bring that stat to 255 would be a step in the right direction. In my opinion charisma for enchanters boosts some unseen number in much the same way that stamina, intelligence or wisdom would for the appropriate classes. The difference appears to really be in whether you can see it or conversely, whether you can quantify it (which you can't).

pasi
01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
The major benefit to maxxing Charisma is reducing critical pacify resists. If you're farming appropriately, charm breaks are a lot easier to handle than critical lull resists (other than charm breaks during a critical lull resist). Luckily, the stat benefits both categories, and most other stats are useless, so the choice is clear.

Malone88
01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
The major benefit to maxxing Charisma is reducing critical pacify resists. If you're farming appropriately, charm breaks are a lot easier to handle than critical lull resists (other than charm breaks during a critical lull resist). Luckily, the stat benefits both categories, and most other stats are useless, so the choice is clear.Agree. You can somewhat control your charm success by choosing an appropriately leveled mob to charm. With pacify, typically, you can't choose, so the higher your charisma, the better.

Pint
01-23-2014, 09:37 PM
i play my 60 chanter at 195unbuffed and 245 buffed and i stopped swapping out gear like 6+ months ago, really never seemed to make any difference in my opinion.