PDA

View Full Version : Mage exp question

Wulvgeng
01-21-2014, 02:12 PM
So I have a question regarding soloing as a mage: I have heard multiple people tell me that depending on how much damage your pet does vs. you do with your spells to a mob while soloing, you will get a varying amount of exp from the mob kill.

Is this true?

Nycon43
01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
If your pet does 50% or more damage then you to the mob then you only get half the exp. The main way around this for a mage is to let your pet damage the mob until the mob is at low life(say like 5% or so), reclaim pet(preferably with the mage instant focus items if you have them) then to finish off the mob with a low level nuke so you get full exp.

Wulvgeng
01-21-2014, 02:33 PM
If your pet does 50% or more damage then you to the mob then you only get half the exp. The main way around this for a mage is to let your pet damage the mob until the mob is at low life(say like 5% or so), reclaim pet(preferably with the mage instant focus items if you have them) then to finish off the mob with a low level nuke so you get full exp.

Being a new player to P99, i dont have unlimited resources and this seems like it would get very expensive casting a new pet every kill, no?

Exmo
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Being a new player to P99, i dont have unlimited resources and this seems like it would get very expensive casting a new pet every kill, no?

At low level, yes, and it's often faster to let your pet kill it and just move on. You can kill 2 mobs faster than you can med back the loss of mana from the pet.

At high level, mobs have more hp and take longer to kill, so this even out and reclaiming becomes a better strat.

If you're level 9, just continue to plow ec mobs and don't worry about it.

Sarius
01-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't bother with recalling until lvl 34+. Get your torch ASAP and just destroy mobs with your fire pet

Estu
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't bother with recalling until lvl 34+. Get your torch ASAP and just destroy mobs with your fire pet

I have to disagree with this. Malachites are cheap. Anyone rolling a mage for the first time should easily be able to get the money to have a bag of malachites (see here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie#Platinum). You are basically doubling your EXP gain by reclaiming + using a low-level nuke to finish a monster. You don't need a focus item for it either; mages get reclaim energy at level 1. I would use the reclaim+nuke method the moment I got my first pet.

Exmo
01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I have to disagree with this. Malachites are cheap. Anyone rolling a mage for the first time should easily be able to get the money to have a bag of malachites (see here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie#Platinum). You are basically doubling your EXP gain by reclaiming + using a low-level nuke to finish a monster. You don't need a focus item for it either; mages get reclaim energy at level 1. I would use the reclaim+nuke method the moment I got my first pet.

But you're talking about a Significant uptick in Meditate Time vs. Mob Fight time.

When the mob only lives 30 seconds, it's not worth it, since you can't med back the pet mana cost in that time, even with recall.

But when the fights last 3 minutes at 40, it's worth it, since you can med back the previous cycles mana during that time.

Sarius
01-21-2014, 05:06 PM

I've tried it both ways and I found that I leveled much faster keeping the pet. Just pull with a lvl 1 nuke, med while pet does the work, toss an occasional heal, let pet sit between pulls to regen health. There is next to no downtime with this method. As mobs and pets get more hp, and your heal gets less potent, reclaiming becomes more efficient.

To OP, if you duo the pet penalty is gone regardless of the % damage pets do compared to PCs. Duo Mage = win