PDA

View Full Version : level 54 charm spots (necro)

Reguiy
01-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Starting to level my necro a bit. I did 37ish-54 in CoM charming and it was glorious. I gave up leveling on him for a while and now I've been trying different spots with little success.

I did HS and at 54 it seems too low. Was getting a ton of charm breaks and resists. Same thing goes for KC and CoM 2nd top floor. I tried the skeletons in the NE corner of DL and they were basically all light blue. Then I tried the BW giant fort, and after charming for so long I can't go back to fear kiting as it's just too slow.

So anyone have some a good advice to get me through 54 and maybe even 55?

Sarius
01-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Maybe try spectrals in TT?

Reguiy
01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Maybe try spectrals in TT?

Spectral keepers? Haha. Ironically I was actually trying those as I was writing this. Only about 15% of them are dark blue. There's the occasional champion in there, but not enough to warrant xping there.

Uteunayr
01-15-2014, 10:52 PM
If you really can't manage the charms well enough in Charasis (and yes, it is a shaky proposition, but one you can manage if you're really, really patient), then you could just stick to Nobles through all of 54. I did on Uteu and Sesser, and then once 55, charm killing becomes infinitely easier. Or, you can root rot the oozes on 2nd floor to 3rd floor transition in COM.

Now, if you're really dedicated to charm killing, the only thing I can think is that you might have some success charm killing the undead in TT, but you're outdoors, and will get less XP than you would in a dungeon. Additionally, you can try Lower Guk, but I am unsure if charm killing down near King will be too low level. I think they are light blue at this point.

Yinikren
01-16-2014, 02:21 AM
I have no troubles at 54 charming the HS basement as an enc, but tash might be just enough of a bump to resists that I can manage without a problem. It might not hurt to give it another go, or even duo with another charmer - some of my best times in HS are duoing with a necro, so we can watch each other's pets, I can tash/help manage his, and best of all - no stupid pet exp penalty.

Uteunayr
01-16-2014, 02:40 AM
I have no troubles at 54 charming the HS basement as an enc, but tash might be just enough of a bump to resists that I can manage without a problem. It might not hurt to give it another go, or even duo with another charmer - some of my best times in HS are duoing with a necro, so we can watch each other's pets, I can tash/help manage his, and best of all - no stupid pet exp penalty.

Additionally, your charm's strength is changed based on Charisma, while Necromancer charm is not. Since we can't gear to strengthen our charm, while an enchanter can, it seems reasonable to me that an Enchanter would have a much easier time charming HS basement.

By the same token, I went into HS Basement to teach a friend of mine how to do the camp, and she was able to hold down mobs with a charm for 10 minutes+. All around very smooth, but other times not so much. So, it is very RNG. Just requires patience.

Yinikren
01-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Additionally, your charm's strength is changed based on Charisma, while Necromancer charm is not. Since we can't gear to strengthen our charm, while an enchanter can, it seems reasonable to me that an Enchanter would have a much easier time charming HS basement.

Remember though, that CHA only affects the initial resist modifier for charm - not the duration. My enc only buffs to about 170 CHA.

Uteunayr
01-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Remember though, that CHA only affects the initial resist modifier for charm - not the duration. My enc only buffs to about 170 CHA.

That is something I did not know. Good to know for when I eventually make an enchanter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Without numbers to back it up ("prove it" etc.....) I can say this is completely false. Sub-200 cha and I get breaks far more often then when I am buffed to 200+ cha. Since I use only my l20 cha buff if wears off sooner and in will forget about it at times during play. The difference in the amount of time a charm sticks is so noticeable that this particular situation has been what's prompted me (at times) to check and see that I don't have my cha buff up. I will literally be banging my head in frustration only to see that my cha buff wore off 5 mins earlier.

Yinikren
01-17-2014, 03:13 AM
I have nothing except the "its classic" response, yumyums. That's how CHA worked in classic and that is how it should work here.

Reguiy
01-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Well I've been charming skeletons in the NE corner of DL. It's ok, much better than BW kiting. Been doing the rotting skeleton camp then swarm charming the 7 skeletons at the bottom of the hill.

I'm going to head back to HS as soon as I get Thrall of Bones. I'm told that not having that spell was the reason I was having difficulties in HS. I was under the impression that the only affect that the level of charm I used was the level of mobs I could charm. Apparently the higher level charm you use the less likelihood of charm breaks/resists. I was always told to use the lowest level of charm possible. So I guess I'll find out.

Iumuno
01-18-2014, 12:17 AM
I have nothing except the "its classic" response, yumyums. That's how CHA worked in classic and that is how it should work here.

You're right but I don't think that's how it works here.

Obito
01-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Well I've been charming skeletons in the NE corner of DL. It's ok, much better than BW kiting. Been doing the rotting skeleton camp then swarm charming the 7 skeletons at the bottom of the hill.

I'm going to head back to HS as soon as I get Thrall of Bones. I'm told that not having that spell was the reason I was having difficulties in HS. I was under the impression that the only affect that the level of charm I used was the level of mobs I could charm. Apparently the higher level charm you use the less likelihood of charm breaks/resists. I was always told to use the lowest level of charm possible. So I guess I'll find out.

Incorrect, you should only be using beguile undead on any mob from basement through north. Thrall of bones should only be required when charming mobs in south/east.

If you plan on going to hs it would also be a great call to bring a few stacks of peridots and keeping up manaskin(not the higher level one) to absorb damage, keeping you alive on unexpected charm breaks.

Reguiy
01-18-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm just gonna go there at 55. Too lazy to deal with constant charm breaks.