PDA

View Full Version : Repository

Nut
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Ive been visiting the forums over the past few weeks, reading about updates and about the ddos attacks. I was just curious if the devs here have considered creating a google code repository of the database and source for the server?

Perhaps it would be a solution to the problem your having. Release your source & database, update the repository as needed to keep it current. This way you can allow others to spawn off other classic severs using your base. If someone doesn't like the way you run things, they can spawn off a server and run it as they see fit.

I see it as a win/win, as it would offer an alternative to the PEQ database(not that PEQ's database isn't fantastic). Just a suggestion.

vageta31
11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Except it'd spread the already thin base of players out. The best chance for a true classic experience is to have the highest player base since this is what made the game magical for so many. Playing in the classic setting with no player base isn't as enjoyable.

Not to mention the work put in by the devs to get it up and running at this point shouldn't be given out so easily to anyone who wants to throw up a quick server.

Halladar
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
This is basically the eqemu server software though right? Just customized to make it more like eqclassic circa 1999, with perhaps more of the classic quests than were already in the eqemu database?

I guess what I want to say is that it is basically already out there. I'm not even sure they are keeping the code changes to the base server or database entries secret, though you'd have to ask the devs.

Nut
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
@vageta31

I understand the considerable amount of work the dev's have put into it and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they wanted to keep it under lock and key for a bit.

I don't think it would cause a thinning of the player base though. The Grand Creation seems to keep high numbers without a problem. I think people would still mostly lump into one server because your right, EQ Classic can't really be done without live players.

@Halladar

Yeah, from my understanding they have just modified the EQEmu code a bit, mostly its the database work that is important. They have done some major culling and tweaking to it to recreate 1999 EQ. I just think it would be nice to kind of emulate what the grand creation does and give the community a good base for classic.

The code changes to the server are probably pretty minor, but its always nice to have a both available.