PDA

View Full Version : Raiding wizards

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
So I have a wiz I'm trying to get to 60 so I can be more productive on dragon kills than I would be with Tecmos, but I'm a total nub with the wiz and neither do I remember seeing threads about this nor has been considerate enough to write an awesome wizard guide (like Loraen's chanter guide!) :(

What's the best way for a wiz to burn dragons/gods/VS/etc?

I assume that OOMing isn't really an issue even wearing resist gear, and that it is basically impossible to spam sunstrike without pulling aggro, meaning lures are the best bet for dealing damage while ensuring that I don't have any wasted aggro due to a resist?

Swish
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
1 cast on each trash mob if you can, and always save at least 50% mana for an emergency to burn stuff down...and definitely lures on the big stuff! :p

Lojik
01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
So I have a wiz I'm trying to get to 60 so I can be more productive on dragon kills than I would be with Tecmos, but I'm a total nub with the wiz and neither do I remember seeing threads about this nor has been considerate enough to write an awesome wizard guide (like Loraen's chanter guide!) :(

What's the best way for a wiz to burn dragons/gods/VS/etc?

I assume that OOMing isn't really an issue even wearing resist gear, and that it is basically impossible to spam sunstrike without pulling aggro, meaning lures are the best bet for dealing damage while ensuring that I don't have any wasted aggro due to a resist?

Well, I think it depends on the god or dragon but from my experience it's best to use Lure of Ice. Exception is to any boss/god/dragon that is either a)weak to fire resistance or b)exceptionally resistant to ice spells. A quick breakdown of the 2 spells v. each other:

Sunstrike
Let's say in a fight you cast sunstrike 7 times. You spam it so it takes 62.5 seconds, mana cost 3150. Damage done is 11305 if there are no resists.

Lure of Ice
Cast in a fight 10 times, takes 3200 mana, 65.25 seconds, does 8250 damage.

In both cases, mana cost and overall time to cast them is about the same. However, Lure of Ice will be more consistent damage and generate less hate. Against relatively low level mobs where resists arent really an issue, sunstrike is obviously better. But if sunstrike is resisted fully 2/7 times (or partials that add up to 2 full) then the same wizard casting sunstrike would do 8075 damage, which is less than the wizard who casted Lure of Ice. I find that many of the mobs you are talking about will resist either close to or more than 2/7 sunstrikes.

Depending on who you're raiding with, you'll want to wait until mob is between 50-70% probably to start nuking, depending on who or how many you're with, just want to make sure you're not taking too big a % of the NPC's hate.

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Hmm, ok.

I assume concussion resists frequently on most raid bosses? (How much of a difference do tash+malo make?) Or would it be worth trying to get off a lure as soon as I think I can do it without pulling aggro, then firing off a few concussions while I wait for mob to drop down to 60-70% before spamming lures for the remainder of the fight?

I need to harass Sak about aggro numbers on mallet charges and his procs and set up GTTs for said procs or something to help me figure out when I can go apeshit.

Lojik
01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Hmm, ok.

I assume concussion resists frequently on most raid bosses? (How much of a difference do tash+malo maek?) Or would it be worth trying to get off a lure as soon as I think I can do it without pulling aggro, then firing off a few concussions while I wait for mob to drop down to 60-70% before spamming lures for the remainder of the fight?

I need to harass Loraen about aggro numbers on mallet charges and his procs and set up GTTs for said procs or something to help me figure out when I can go apeshit.

Concussion won't land on boss mobs. Even with tash + malo you're lookin at probably a 99% resist rate.

Tuljin
01-13-2014, 01:26 PM
lure of ice is really the way to go on all white-con and above mobs on raid. sunstrikes land pretty well on non-boss mobs generally, tho you will sometimes get full resists and partials fairly often. if there is a mage on raid that is casting mala it makes sunstrikes WAY better on trash mobs, also make sure to hit them with the flux staff before shooting the sunstrike. this is really for sky mobs vs. hate and fear mobs.

concussion works on trash mobs but doesn't land on bosses at all. it really doesn't matter because if you start to cast at 70% on a trash mob you won't get any agro, even if you get 2 nukes off. it isn't a horrible idea to drop a concussion after the first nuke, but it really will only matter on a very small raid. concussion is really awesome in dungeons in groups but not so much for raid. bosses won't agro you if you start spamming when they're between 50-70%, and ive lived many times when a boss agros me when hes down to his last bit of health thanks so some awesome quick heals and torpor haha

an example of needing sunstrike on raid vs lure of ice is to quickly burn down a spite golem in fear thats running at 20% so he doesn't gate, gotta time the nuke just right so it lands right after he dips under 20. thats an instance of needing that extra damage over the lure.

if you sit between casts for a tick you will rarely burn down your whole bar on bosses. i play with low int/mana pool for a wiz and i don't always find myself burning my whole bar down even on raids with 10-12ppl

Splorf22
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
I need to harass Sak about aggro numbers on mallet charges and his procs and set up GTTs for said procs or something to help me figure out when I can go apeshit.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Sakuragi%27s_Warrior_Guide

Has my best guess for those numbers. Mallet's should be 600-700 hate each I think.

Also I don't think you can set up GTTs because mostly the procs will be resisted, although I suppose you could watch for the casting animation.

Raavak
01-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Save Concussion for Velious.

Lure of Ice is going to be your main DD spell on boss mobs. Notable exceptions exist.

Wear maximum resist gear for most targets (once again notable exceptions exist). You will be waiting for an assist call and then chain nuking until the target is dead. Most likely you won't need a full manabar. Positioning and facing are important and should be organized to take advantage of push.

Things in VP get slightly more involved, but nothing like in Velious.

Velerin
01-13-2014, 01:42 PM
On live, concussion works regardless of whether it said the mob resisted or not. Not positive if it was always like that or changed later. Doesn't seem to work that way here.

Raavak
01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
There is an argument to whether it works or not. There might be something to the fact that if you are casting it you are not casting a hate inducing spell. Who knows. If you are killing a boss mob your tank probably has it mallotted anyway and you just go to town.

If you are killing trash, just time your nukes and don't expend much mana, because you don't want to be caught OOM when its time for to engage the boss. If the raidleader says "are we ready" for the boss and you say "lom" then you did it wrong. Leave the dumps and manasticks for the clerics.

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Ok, so I'm getting that a full mallet = just go apeshit? I didn't realize it would be that much threat that a wizard spamming lure of ice wouldn't be able to pull aggro.

That's kind of boring! Lol :)

Lojik
01-13-2014, 01:54 PM
What's a GTT? Im clearly a noob

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Game Text Triggers.

A program not unlike gameparse that monitors your log file and can give you visual and/or audio cues when it sees certain things happen. Handy for timing roots, mezzes, buffs, respawn timers, and all sorts of other stuff like that. Not against the rules since all it does is read the log file and relay that info to you.

Velerin
01-13-2014, 03:09 PM
I think the idea with concussion "resists" is that a nuke gives aggro regardless of resist, therefore a concussion can reduce aggro regardless of resist (its an anti-nuke). Would be interesting to test if it also works here. My main on live was a wiz but haven't played one here. Though, yeah it doesn't really matter here with short fights. Just chain burn.

JackFlash
01-13-2014, 03:19 PM
I would be interested to find out if concussion really did anything when it resisted as well. This was always something we speculated on live but never knew for sure.

If it truly reduces hate by a set number can it be partially resisted?

SamwiseRed
01-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Game Text Triggers.

A program not unlike gameparse that monitors your log file and can give you visual and/or audio cues when it sees certain things happen. Handy for timing roots, mezzes, buffs, respawn timers, and all sorts of other stuff like that. Not against the rules since all it does is read the log file and relay that info to you.

Not to troll but things likes that don't feel classic.

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

I know, but it's not 1999. We all want classic mechanics in the game, but (almost) none of us want the original UI, 56k connections that are interrupted when our parents try to make a phone call, the wiki as unrealiable as castersrealm, lack of voip, etc. It's not classic for me to be a good enchanter either, but it'd be silly to never play in HS or seb right now just because I never had the key on live until well into Velious, etc.

Velerin
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I would be interested to find out if concussion really did anything when it resisted as well. This was always something we speculated on live but never knew for sure.

If it truly reduces hate by a set number can it be partially resisted?

Think we could test pretty easy:
1. find a MR mob (maybe a town gate guard?)
2. have someone get aggro
3. wiz pull aggro with small nuke
4. kite around casting "resisted" concussions and see if the guard turns to other aggro'd guy.

SamwiseRed
01-13-2014, 05:19 PM
I know, but it's not 1999. We all want classic mechanics in the game, but (almost) none of us want the original UI, 56k connections that are interrupted when our parents try to make a phone call, the wiki as unrealiable as castersrealm, lack of voip, etc. It's not classic for me to be a good enchanter either, but it'd be silly to never play in HS or seb right now just because I never had the key on live until well into Velious, etc.

the trigger thing made me think of wow addons. maybe im understanding you wrong but are you saying there are audio cues for when things happen or when buff timers are up?

Rhambuk
01-13-2014, 05:36 PM

http://0verhyped.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/anyone-else-remember-ren-and-stimpy-or-is-it-just-me.jpg

Tecmos Deception
01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
the trigger thing made me think of wow addons. maybe im understanding you wrong but are you saying there are audio cues for when things happen or when buff timers are up?

It's not unlike deadly boss mods, yeah.

You tell the GTT program what text you want it to look for in your log file and what you want it to do when it sees that text. For example, when it sees "feet adhere to the ground" you could have it start a 3:00 countdown GUI bar for your fetter duration, or when it sees "has worn off" you could have it play a beep or whatever to make sure you realize one of your spells just wore off, etc.

It's far from perfect unless you're super crazy about how many text triggers you program it to look for, because the root example above would start a 3:00 every time it sees that text even if you are just rerooting the same thing because of a break. And like with mez spells, a lot of them give the same text display even if it wasn't you casting it or it wasn't the spell you want it to be timing, etc.

Freakish
01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Find out the resists for each god. If you've done draco on tecmos you've probably noticed you can land fire on him very easily. I'd sunstrike that sucker. Same with CT. A big factor is whether the mob dies in 30s or 3 minutes. If you're one of only three dps (which is possible, I believe A-Team likes to attempt raids with less) you might have time to relog to reset aggro, then go balls to the wall again. BTW, be careful of DTs, although a wizard could tank draco.