PDA

View Full Version : Drove into a massive puddle... car died.. sad story .. happy ending?

to0p
08-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Flash flooding in south florida is a constant hazard, one which my GTI's cold air intake could not avoid last night. Cruising down the street, barely able to see out the windshield my car ends up stalling, I wonder why, open the door and water is almost coming into the car. :( I thought it was hydro-locked for sure. :eek:

Long story short pushed the car out of the puddle and left it till the morning.
First thing I did was try to turn it over, starter was working but engine wouldnt crank... I was sure it was done for. Then it hits me, I have a turbo and an intercooler! What if all the water just got lodged in the intercooler and is choking the car. The air intake pipe from the intercooler has to travel veritcal, and water wouldnt be able to move up the pipe unless the RPMs were a lot higher than idle. After a half hour of unbolting and unscrewing I get all the piping off and water comes flowing out. Hit the pipes and turbo with a shop vac sucked out all the left overs. Put some fuel injector cleaner and alcoholic gas treatment to help capture and burn the water. Tried to start the car a few times and it worked!

Crazy story really sucked at first but good ending. If you think you might have water in the engine I highly suggest these procedures before calling the car junked.

Btw my guild <Peace Pipe> is recruiting. (http://project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13451)

Excision Rottun
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Was the puddle this deep?

http://i28.tinypic.com/111ugr9.jpg

Straif
08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
What part of S. Florida?

carnie85
08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
the only way the water would have gotten into your intercooler is if your intake sucked it up / you have a crack in your IC, because IC's don't suck up air, they only charge the air and cool it down. It's suppost to be a closed system, BTW that fuel cleaner stuff will fuck up your injectors. You should have just pulled your hoses, pulled the injector/fuel rail out and your valve cover off and let it air out for awhile.

to0p
08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
lol the puddle was not that deep

appreciate the advice carnie, i wouldnt be surprised if i have a crack in the IC it feels like theres a boost leak somewhere too.

luckily i just reconnected everything and its running quite well just need to change the oil now.

carnie85
08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
lol the puddle was not that deep

appreciate the advice carnie, i wouldnt be surprised if i have a crack in the IC it feels like theres a boost leak somewhere too.

luckily i just reconnected everything and its running quite well just need to change the oil now.

i repair cars for a living so if you need any help lemme know =)