PDA

View Full Version : Server Idea: Every. F*#king. Ruleset.

Xelris
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Alright, just fielding an idea here, I'm fairly aware it would (likely) never come to pass, but I like the discussion and I'm curious as to if anyone would play on it.

A hybrid p99 server with a melding of rulesets: Vallon, Rallos and Firiona Vie.

Wait, pvp vie with item loot?!
That's what I said.

Now for some that sounds too extreme to be any fun to play, having your hard-earned dragon pixels be stolen by a group of bind-rushing wizards. That's why there's some rules in place and a few decidedly non-classic ideas in play to stop abuse and make the transition easier.

But that's stupid. You wouldn't get enough items to compensate...
Sure you would... but first you would have to modify the drop rates of items.

Item drop rates are changed across the board. If something always drops (ie, epic quest item) it still always drops. However, if that mob has three pieces of possible loot, there isn't a "common" and a "rare" and an "ultra-rare"... there's a "Common", "Common" and "Common". Distribution is even throughout, with an extra slot afforded to "trash" drops such as gems or bone chips or what have you. Making things easily campable takes a good deal of the "sting" away from item loss, although nothing is done to the rate of named spawns, so you may want to protect that Quillmane cloak if you don't want to farm him again.

You won't always lose an item.
Item drop is a "rare" drop from players. "Common" drop is a modification of the Sullen Zek system... you'll drop an ear. Ears can be turned in for pvp-centric expendables, a boost of experience, gear, or as a form of currency.

"Bagging" won't save you.
To discourage "bagging", anything in your inventory that ISN'T a bag can potentially be looted, including what's in bags. They might get your fungi (oh NO not mah fungi). They might get your fish scales. Who knows. Note that filling your bag slots with a singular cheap items to reduce the chance of item loss is a legit tactic.

Bind-rushing won't net you items.
You need to have at least five lootable items in inventory to participate in item-loot pvp. You can still kill for xp and ears.

You can't drop an item if you've died and lost an item in the last four hours and killing a player recently killed who hasn't initiated any attacks won't drop ears.
This is to discourage corpse camping and ear-farming.

Experience rate increased, death xp loss quartered, pvp xp loss is very light.
This would have to be played with but it's partially to encourage participation on the server and partially to compensate for the full-scale ganking that would be going on. The extra XP rate would be on the order of 250%, the loss about 25% and pvp xp loss about 1% of a level before rez. Even an ogre shadowknight should be able to level quickly here.

5-level pvp limit and limitations to beneficial abilities casted on non-team members
Casting a heal or buff on a non-team member puts a debuff on you that makes you open season to ANYONE, regardless of level limit or team. Grouping with non-team members is still possible but discouraged in this manner. Getting killed with the debuff on will cause both an item loss possibility and an ear drop.

Corpse-summoning NPCs are in home cities.
This is the most non-kosher modification, but it would further deal with corpse-camping issues and keep the griefing to a minimum. Corpse summoning requires ears, probably on a scaling amount dependent on level. Also, Necromancers and Shadowknights may summon corpses without using a component.

Thoughts? Love to hear them. I personally think a server like this would be fun as hell, a lot faster-paced than your traditional everquest experience and not so punishing as to make it that noone wants to play it (see red99).

Rhambuk
01-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I like it