PDA

View Full Version : First melee in EQ

Wulvgeng
01-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Hello all,

I Just started in this game as a Dwarf Warrior. I played all casters back in classic so I am very very new to a melee class and am limited on funds, so cant go out and spend a bunch of money on gears/weapons at the moment. Have a few questions:

Question 1) which is better as a lowbie warrior...2h slashing or 1h and a shield? If I go 1hand slashing which is more important at a low level, damage or delay? I ended up looting one of the Battle Axes off of the corpses of Kaladim Guards (a friendly necro was killing for exp).

Question 2) is it better to go for experience and get as high as I can or should I take time to do armor quests and camp drops? As a lowbie, does AC matter enough to take time out of normal leveling to get drops I guess is what I am asking

Question 3) difference between bash and kick at low levels? Is one preferable over the other?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rhambuk
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the melee world, it is far far far more complicated than people make it out to be, attack on wait kick wait taunt wait mob dead...

ill just answer your questions for now )

1, 1h always as a warrior you will only use 2h for dps when not tanking. you always want the highest ratio weapon delay/dmg but with a 1h you should be swinging at least once per round'
you swing
mob swing
you swing
mob swing

that axe will be the best thing you have for a while unless someone donates something.

2, as a melee you are 100% gear dependent so it is important that you do your crafted armor quests when you can 30ish without much help. HP > AC in lower levels

3, kick will do more damage than bash and doesn't require a shield, you may see some warriors switching out offhand to shieldbash only to interrupt casting mobs as it is an instant stun, but at 55 kick adds a stun component.

extras.

Taunt, only use taunt when its not max skill lvl or if you don't have agro. Taunt puts you at the top of the agro list +1 so if you have agro hit taunt it does nothing then rog backstabs you have to wait for the cooldown and hope it works.

right now you don't but you will need magic weapons to hit magic mobs, ghouls, willowhisps etc. normal weapons can't hit them.

Theres so much more but ill leave it at that for now )

also as a dwarf work on your rolls, you know you're a real dwarf when you can do a standing backflip.

Wulvgeng
01-07-2014, 06:05 PM
I have been working on my front somersaults for now. I dont want to get too ahead of myself and pull a muscle.

Thanks for the other info as well, very informative!

Raavak
01-07-2014, 06:17 PM
For tanking you will want to get some sort of weapons that help build aggro. I think Obsidian Shards start working in the teens? Not sure when SSoY start working, or what other inexpensive weapons in this category cost (stun whip?).

Rhambuk
01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
For tanking you will want to get some sort of weapons that help build aggro. I think Obsidian Shards start working in the teens? Not sure when SSoY start working, or what other inexpensive weapons in this category cost (stun whip?).

OS at 16, Ssoy at 37. The tentacle lifetap whip procs at 1? but its so low dmg it wont help.

You're best bet is high dmg until teens, save up all of your money for an OS when you get to 16.

16 you get double attack, 13 is duel wield. and your second OS will help a lot!

Rhambuk
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
if you're having a really hard time holding agro in groups you can always proximity tank, just have someone in the group root the mob almost always theres someone that can root and just stand as close as possible.

Wulvgeng
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
The problem with me obtaining this OS and SSoY is that I dont have any money to buy anything, so I wont be able to afford them and would have to camp them. Wont be that level until waaay later so not really a viable option as a newbie.

Nagash
01-08-2014, 05:28 PM
The problem with me obtaining this OS and SSoY is that I dont have any money to buy anything, so I wont be able to afford them and would have to camp them. Wont be that level until waaay later so not really a viable option as a newbie.

If you need money you can try http://wiki.project1999.com/Ultimate_Leveling_While_Making_Money_Guide. Not sure how that works for a "naked" melee but that's a start.

Wulvgeng
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
If you need money you can try http://wiki.project1999.com/Ultimate_Leveling_While_Making_Money_Guide. Not sure how that works for a "naked" melee but that's a start.

Great, thanks for the tip!!!

Nagash
01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Great, thanks for the tip!!!

No worries. What's your in game name by the way?

Wulvgeng
01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Scrimbo, Dwarf Warrior

Nagash
01-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Scrimbo, Dwarf Warrior

Bugger, you're not online, pop me a tell (Nagash or Petitpas) if you see me online.

Wulvgeng
01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Haha sorry, at work for another hour. Ill be on around 6:15pm CST

Rhambuk
01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
You picked dwarf which is great, there are a lot of high level people killing guards inside kaladim or killing dwarves out by the docks and will often let heavy shields or crappier weapons rot.

If your in kaladim and not seeing anyone killing guards you can go out to BBM do a camp check and if someone says dwarves you can ask if they need a seller or have any rotting loot you may be able to get.

on live my first char was a dwarf rog and I made enough money for a fine steel dagger, like 10pp back then when FS was worth using and a full suit of banded by lvl 4.

reppa
01-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I didn't make a melee char till I had gotten some money. Dwarf warriors are a good choice with velious around the corner. Dwarven plate will be super cheap and effective. Cheap weapons like sky fire sword and nathsar great sword are fantastic early on. My best buy I saved up for was an fbss. More dmg means more exp. Not gunna give away any of my money making secrets. But there are lots of options that are safe and easy

Rhambuk
01-08-2014, 07:40 PM
DUH how did I forget, Trolachs skean(NFC sorry) drops from a rog epic mob and is crappy for any person capable of the encounter so it tends to rot. steamfont is just 3 zones away from BBM and can be a safe run. That is your #1 best bet for a procagro weapon since you have no money. procs at 46 but the dmg/ratio is good enough you can use it right up til then I believe.

dethbringre
01-08-2014, 10:11 PM
I'd use sword of skyfire, its really cheap. if you can manage to farm sisters in lfay for a day or two then you ought to have enough cash to pick up a decent shield and skyfire sword and probably a suit of banded as well.

I like farming sisters, its close to MM zone if you get in trouble and you can sell to the rangers close by.

Rhambuk
01-08-2014, 10:17 PM
If you don't want to buy a ssoy you can often find them rotting in kith from the DE's

scimitar of the ykesha, same thing but +1 delay I think?

a lot of options for good free weapons out there, just gotta know where to look and be vigilant

Zubek
01-08-2014, 11:34 PM
If you don't want to buy a ssoy you can often find them rotting in kith from the DE's

scimitar of the ykesha, same thing but +1 delay I think?

a lot of options for good free weapons out there, just gotta know where to look and be vigilant

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!!!