PDA

View Full Version : A Conversation with a EQ Noob!

JerSar
01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
I had a conversation with my fiance today.

Me: So let's say that you have a Wal-Mart, only one Wal-Mart, and inside this Wal-Mart there are 12 items, and outside Wal-Mart there are 1000 people who want to get these items. What do you do?

Her: Ummm...well I would get more items for the Wal-Mart. Increase the supply.

Me: That's not an option, in fact, you only get 12 items per day delivered to your Wal-Mart, and these 1000 people keep showing up to try to get at these items. What now?

Her: I would tell people to come back tomorrow.

Me: Well, that's fine but now they are rioting outside your Wal-Mart, and things are starting to get really bad.

Her: Well...uh. I would... (pause) ... I would just sell the leads! To another store, because those people can't get these items.

Me: A good idea, but let's say that in fact you're the only store in the universe that has these 12 specific items, and the ambiance of your store is what makes people come, not really the items.

Her: Oh no! Well, if that's the only options then I would just control the rioting and keep selling my 12 items. Why are you asking me this??

Me: No reason, bye!

Her: What?! Why?!

Me: Byeeeeeee....

[UPDATE a little later...]

Me: so we're back at Wal-Mart and we have the same scenario, but how do you keep these rioters under control?

Her: Um...

Me: There's no police support, but in fact you're the mayor of this town and can tell them what to do to an extent.

Her: Well I would just tell them to stop it.

Me: They stop, but then start right back up after someone ran into your store and took all 12 items for themselves.

Her: I would tell them they need to be faster.

Me: It's a year later and this same person regularly comes into your store first and gets the best deals on most of your 12 items.

Her: Well shit. I think I would just get paintball guns and start shooting them until they stop (temp bans?).

Me: That's fine but they don't really stop, they are just more sneaky.

Her: I...I have no idea, why are you asking me this?

Me: No reason again, byeeee.

Her: I'm coming in there!

Me: No! i have to remember this conversation I'll tell you later byeeeee.

Aaron
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Stop making threads please.

JerSar
01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
This message is hidden because Aaron is on your ignore list.

(probably for a good reason, he's a young RNFer who lost RNF)

whitebandit
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I had a conversation with my fiance today.

Me: So let's say that you have a Wal-Mart, only one Wal-Mart, and inside this Wal-Mart there are 12 items, and outside Wal-Mart there are 1000 people who want to get these items. What do you do?

Her: Ummm...well I would get more items for the Wal-Mart. Increase the supply.

Me: That's not an option, in fact, you only get 12 items per day delivered to your Wal-Mart, and these 1000 people keep showing up to try to get at these items. What now?

Her: I would tell people to come back tomorrow.

Me: Well, that's fine but now they are rioting outside your Wal-Mart, and things are starting to get really bad.

Her: Well...uh. I would... (pause) ... I would just sell the leads! To another store, because those people can't get these items.

Me: A good idea, but let's say that in fact you're the only store in the universe that has these 12 specific items, and the ambiance of your store is what makes people come, not really the items.

Her: Oh no! Well, if that's the only options then I would just control the rioting and keep selling my 12 items. Why are you asking me this??

Me: No reason, bye!

Her: What?! Why?!

Me: Byeeeeeee....

Lol this is fucking hilarious, but actually not a horrible idea.. We need people to think outside the box :)

JerSar
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Lol this is fucking hilarious, but actually not a horrible idea.. We need people to think outside the box :)

:P I thought it was a funny conversation too.

JerSar
01-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Me: so we're back at Wal-Mart and we have the same scenario, but how do you keep these rioters under control?

Her: Um...

Me: There's no police support, but in fact you're the mayor of this town and can tell them what to do to an extent.

Her: Well I would just tell them to stop it.

Me: They stop, but then start right back up after someone ran into your store and took all 12 items for themselves.

Me: It's a year later and this same person regularly comes into your store first and gets the best deals on most of your 12 items.

Her: Well shit. I think I would just get paintball guns and start shooting them until they stop (temp bans?).

Me: That's fine but they don't really stop, they are just more sneaky.

Her: I...I have no idea, why are you asking me this?

Me: No reason again, byeeee.

Her: I'm coming in there!

Me: No! i have to remember this conversation I'll tell you later byeeeee.

It seems to me this elusive 'compromise' is a tough cookie to crack!

mishurza
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
My girlfriend says "I would tell them to go to a Wal-mart that wasn't so shitty."

JerSar
01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
My girlfriend says "I would tell them to go to a Wal-mart that wasn't so shitty."

LOL

Rhambuk
01-05-2014, 10:56 PM

this seemed a little to close to home to be real.

or her logic is just different than mine.

element08
01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
1080p video of conversation please

Rec
01-05-2014, 11:09 PM
this is why there is not only more than one walmart but more than one brand of retail store.

Give us multiple p99 servers, custom servers worth playing on run by other organizations and you'll see any problems vanish into thin air when people take their "business" and go elsewhere.

JerSar
01-06-2014, 01:04 AM
this is why there is not only more than one walmart but more than one brand of retail store.

Give us multiple p99 servers, custom servers worth playing on run by other organizations and you'll see any problems vanish into thin air when people take their "business" and go elsewhere.

Wal-Mart was the analogy, not the solution, lol.

webrunner5
01-06-2014, 01:12 AM
2/10

joppykid
01-06-2014, 01:44 AM

if there was only such thing as a walmart that wasn't shitty

mishurza
01-06-2014, 09:24 AM
if there was only such thing as a walmart that wasn't shitty

Touche.

I liked the OP's original experiment but could have probably refined the analogy a little more. There is still insight to be had in her response though.

Laok
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Used to be when you walked in to a store with limited supplies, you took a number... Just sayin'

Laok
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
And they limit quantities... Again, just sayin'

Rhambuk
01-06-2014, 12:20 PM
black Friday specials, store announces we will be only receiving 3 wii's and handing out tickets to the first 3 people in line.

a few years ago people would stand in line an hour before store open, I used to work at kmart, now we see people camping out for 3-4 maybe even a week at a time outside the store in tents with propane grills etc.

shits classic