PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the time when...

Aksiom2k
01-05-2014, 02:01 PM
...Transatlantic Rampage, The Mystical Order, and Dozekar were all in Plane of Hate competing for planar armor mobs? Now this was back before Kunark came out, so planar armor was the best you could get and there was a heavy demand because of the age of the server and the number of level 50 players.All 3 guilds were staked out in separate corners of the plane sending out their best trackers to pull in mobs AS SOON AS THEY SPAWNED.

Well, the GMs saw this going on and were disgusted by it. So, what do you think they did? Did they ask each guild to play nice? No. Did they ask the 3 guilds to make up a plan to split the mobs fairly? No. They enabled ZONE WIDE PVP and let us duke it out. TMO and Dozekar actually teamed up to topple TR that day (TR was the "top dog" at the time). It was the best time I've had on Blue yet.

So here's a novel idea that hasn't been suggested...When a raid mob spawns, it triggers zone wide PVP. You want to be a hardcore raider? Let's see how hard you are.

Argh
01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
/guildwar

whitebandit
01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I so much love this idea...

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
This does nothing to affect the issues that matter: The fact that TMO can batphone, wake up an alt army at 4am, and down a mob in a matter of minutes.

If noone can compete with that, how could anyone compete with PVP at a mob.

Uteunayr
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
As I remember it, and memory is not the best record keeper, some of the best forms of cooperation grew out of PvP server on the grounds that a douchebag guild would be held accountable for their actions by the rest of the server in that the other guilds could band together and kill the other guild before they got their mob kill. This meant each guild was succeptible to others, and had to cooperate with the others so that each could live the raiding experience they want, without getting killed. It's nice to try and say if you dislike the top guilds, just compete with them, but the only way to compete are through PvE means, and those means are not nearly as effective as being able to attack them directly. Whoever survives the bloodbath gets the mobs. Or, you cooperate and figure out a way to handle things appropriately.

Wasn't the server in which the Sleeper was woken and the coalition of guilds got together to take it down, that was a PvP server if I remember correctly. They had an interesting trifecta of top tier raiding guilds, each balanced by the other two.

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
As I remember it, and memory is not the best record keeper, some of the best forms of cooperation grew out of PvP server on the grounds that a douchebag guild would be held accountable for their actions by the rest of the server in that the other guilds could band together and kill the other guild before they got their mob kill. This meant each guild was succeptible to others, and had to cooperate with the others so that each could live the raiding experience they want, without getting killed. It's nice to try and say if you dislike the top guilds, just compete with them, but the only way to compete are through PvE means, and those means are not nearly as effective as being able to attack them directly. Whoever survives the bloodbath gets the mobs. Or, you cooperate and figure out a way to handle things appropriately.

Wasn't the server in which the Sleeper was woken and the coalition of guilds got together to take it down, that was a PvP server if I remember correctly. They had an interesting trifecta of top tier raiding guilds, each balanced by the other two.

This is an argument for playing on red. If there's only PVP in the small window before TMO pops in and downs the raid mob, they basically would be unaffected.

heartbrand
01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I heard there's a server where this is already enabled u moran.

Uteunayr
01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
This is an argument for playing on red. If there's only PVP in the small window before TMO pops in and downs the raid mob, they basically would be unaffected.

Of course, and many people don't, because a lot of people are looking for a more relaxed experience than is the norm when everyone you meet can kill you. It does a lot for the hardcore raiding atmosphere, by making it more complicated, but it isn't the atmosphere the majority of the people desire to be in. Me, personally, I dislike the way I get when I am on PvP servers, as I always catch myself acting like a complete asshole. So, I instead stick to blue, and stay away from a very particular type of attitude of player, so I don't get sucked into that. My case is just my case, but I am certain everyone has their reasons for wanting to be on blue instead of red, and I am certain the common thread is a desire for a more relaxing and casual, classic EverQuest experience.

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Of course, and many people don't, because a lot of people are looking for a more relaxed experience than is the norm when everyone you meet can kill you. It does a lot for the hardcore raiding atmosphere, by making it more complicated, but it isn't the atmosphere the majority of the people desire to be in. Me, personally, I dislike the way I get when I am on PvP servers, as I always catch myself acting like a complete asshole. So, I instead stick to blue, and stay away from a very particular type of attitude of player, so I don't get sucked into that. My case is just my case, but I am certain everyone has their reasons for wanting to be on blue instead of red, and I am certain the common thread is a desire for a more relaxing and casual, classic EverQuest experience.

I wasn't trying to make the point that people should be on red, but rather that the original poster's temp-pvp idea doesn't do anything.

Clark
01-05-2014, 02:58 PM
...Transatlantic Rampage, The Mystical Order, and Dozekar were all in Plane of Hate competing for planar armor mobs? Now this was back before Kunark came out, so planar armor was the best you could get and there was a heavy demand because of the age of the server and the number of level 50 players.All 3 guilds were staked out in separate corners of the plane sending out their best trackers to pull in mobs AS SOON AS THEY SPAWNED.

Well, the GMs saw this going on and were disgusted by it. So, what do you think they did? Did they ask each guild to play nice? No. Did they ask the 3 guilds to make up a plan to split the mobs fairly? No. They enabled ZONE WIDE PVP and let us duke it out. TMO and Dozekar actually teamed up to topple TR that day (TR was the "top dog" at the time). It was the best time I've had on Blue yet.

So here's a novel idea that hasn't been suggested...When a raid mob spawns, it triggers zone wide PVP. You want to be a hardcore raider? Let's see how hard you are.

Haha nice.

Obwin
01-05-2014, 03:03 PM
There just so happens to be a server you pvp over mobs on....just sayin

Aksiom2k
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
There just so happens to be a server you pvp over mobs on....just sayin

Yup, and I play there too. But when you've devoted nearly 4 years into developing a character, it's not something that you want to throw away so quickly.

Obwin
01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
I hear you. Luckily (unlucky?) I didnt find this project until blue was already popp sock central so I started on red from the get go...it's just now starting to get fun though.

fastboy21
01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
i remember this...

was also in an era of the server where there were literally 500ish people online, and 300 of them were in the planes on a nightly basis.

it was fun...but can't seriously be considered as a solution to the problem.