PDA

View Full Version : How to do "Brainbite (Evil)" quest?

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm trying to complete the Brain Bite quest for the Conussion spell listed here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Brain_Bite_%28Evil%29

I'm having a problem with the hand-in to the human skeleton in City of Mist. I've tried it 3 times:

- The first time he agro'd me and then I handed in, got nothing back. Apparently this shouldn't work, so my bad.
- On the wiki it says to do the hand in from around the corner and that should work, so I tried that. I put on invis-undead, then handed in from around the corner. The full hand in happened, then he agro'd me after. Got nothing back.
- Someone else in the zone told me that the corner hand-in doesn't work on p99, I need to charm the mob. So I brought my Necro friend to charm the skeleton, and did the hand-in while he was charmed. Still nothing.

I've made sure I hand in the correct bottle each time (Mardon). Is this quest bugged? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Nuggie
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
The only thing I can see you haven't tried is charming it yourself, via puppet strings. That would suck if you had to do it that way though. Someone else charming it makes it indiff. You charming it makes it amiable.

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Oof, I can't see it being correct that a quest for a lvl 39 spell requires puppet strings (even if the quest is already way too hard for a lvl 39 to complete).

Innova
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
All I can add is that on Al'Kabor (the EQMac server), I was down the hallway around the corner against the wall just far enough away from him not to aggro and I could still do the trade. If I was too close he would aggro. So I slowly moved closer towards him while clicking on him with the bottle until the trade window appeared (non-invis/invis-undead). You have to change the camera view to do this.

My apologies if this doesn't work on P99. :(

Atmas
01-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Been years since I did this here, but pretty sure corner or charm should work. Did you get some text?

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
No text, just handed in item and got nothing back.

Sckrilla
01-05-2014, 04:18 PM
I did the quest with puppet strings personally, but I've heard of people doing the corner turn-in for sure..

Silverain
01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
The corner trick does work. It also works for the skeleton in KC. The problem, as I read it, is you were IVU before the hand in. Any invis will null the hand in. Try it without any invis, I made the same mistake on the KC one before, and had to re do it. As far as I know of, charm also works, though I believe I've had a chanter charm em before, not sure on the nuances of charm between the two classes though in a case like that.

Nefarum
01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll try it a fourth time and make sure I'm not invis'd when handing in.

Rhambuk
01-05-2014, 11:29 PM
couldn't you lull the target and do hand in from outside of the decreased agro range?

goshozal
01-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I can confirm that it does NOT work with the corner trick on the KC skeleton, Ryla.

I just tried it, the hand group was nice enough to clear the hall and let me do the corner trick.

I was not invis or IVU. He ate the bottle with no response.

Silverain
01-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Unless that was a recent change, is how I did it for KC on my wiz on this server, as well as my wiz on live. I had my first one eaten here cause I was invis, but second one worked just fine. Odd, guess it's always safer to take a chanter and have them charm. Unless, of course, I misremembered, as many of us do and tend to forget. But I am pretty positive I used it here cause it's how I did it on live.

goshozal
01-06-2014, 02:17 AM
Petitioned and Ambrotos said that some wizards can do it without charm, while others cannot, due to some kind of faction variance. My wizard is a high elf agnostic, and it failed for me.

I was able to do the TT hand in no problem.

I would recommend bringing an enchanter or necro for the KC one, to be safe.

Nefarum
01-06-2014, 02:38 AM
KC worked for me. I was IVU, standing behind it when it popped. Handed the item to him, which i think caused my IVU to drop.

CoM is the one that just won't work no matter what tactic I try.

Estu
01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I have done the quest recently. The KC skeleton I got charmed just because there happened to be an enchanter fighting it when I found it. The CoM skeleton I tried the corner trick on and it ate the item, so I got an enchanter to charm it and then the hand-in worked fine. I don't remember if IVU was interfering when I tried the corner hand-in, but I'd just get an enc or a necro up there and try that. The TT one is the easiest since he's not KoS; just hand in and you're good.

Hinshi Budou
01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
No text, just handed in item and got nothing back.

This is a problem with proximity to the NPC when attempting to hand in/complete a turn in

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, but this can also be duplicated on some other NPC's and has happened to me and a few other people I know of as well. G.M./Guide reply on petition? You are too far away from the NPC and will have to repeat the quest. Try being closer to the NPC when you do your turn in next time. No item reimbursement. Sorry.

Turn in was done next time with my character very close to NPC and received item.

Hawala
01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
The corner trick does work. It also works for the skeleton in KC. The problem, as I read it, is you were IVU before the hand in. Any invis will null the hand in. Try it without any invis, I made the same mistake on the KC one before, and had to re do it. As far as I know of, charm also works, though I believe I've had a chanter charm em before, not sure on the nuances of charm between the two classes though in a case like that.

Actually it doesn't. I have done it three times now and he eats it every time. I'm also a high elf agnostic.

Silverain
01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Perhaps it does have something to do with faction things as was stated before, I was a High Elf Sol Ro wizard on live and on here, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I never knew a wizard who was agnostic, so I can't speak for that, but if two people had the problem with that deity, perhaps there are underlying things we didn't know about back then. Just stating how I've done it.

Rhambuk
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
is lull not a possibility in this situation, you have to do a turn in to a kos mob, you can either charm personally because others charming doesn't work or you can try to do hand in from just outside agro range while still within trade range,

why not just lower the agro range lull style....

nilbog
01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok so..

Stand around the corner so human skeleton does not aggro.
Open up trade window with Ornate bottle. DO NOT TRADE YET.
Receive an invisibility versus undead.
Click trade. Receive bottle of swirling smoke.

Does this not work?

Alternately, trading with a charmed one should as well.

Hawala
01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Ok so..

Stand around the corner so human skeleton does not aggro.
Open up trade window with Ornate bottle. DO NOT TRADE YET.
Receive an invisibility versus undead.
Click trade. Receive bottle of swirling smoke.

Does this not work?

I haven't tried it that way, and from what I recall on classic it wasn't this difficult. I was able to hand it from down the hallway and gate out.

Here, I have tried approaching the skeleton with IVU getting far enough away such that I am at the edge of the trade radius, clicking off IVU and trading- it just gets eaten and yet does not actually attack me.

It seems if there's someone to IVU you chances are it's a necro or a chanter who could just charm it anyway.

Aaand I don't think a potion would work, since you can't cast whilst trading.

Rhambuk
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

is this coded differently? I know you can't turn in a jade shard for OT hammer unless you personally charm it.

and again...lull? wouldn't that be the easiest solution?

Hawala
01-06-2014, 01:56 PM
is this coded differently? I know you can't turn in a jade shard for OT hammer unless you personally charm it.

It only needs to be non-KoS I think, I haven't actually tried lull. I mean I would just have the enchanter, necro or bard just charm it and not even bother lulling.

nilbog
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I haven't tried it that way, and from what I recall on classic it wasn't this difficult. I was able to hand it from down the hallway and gate out.

Here, I have tried approaching the skeleton with IVU getting far enough away such that I am at the edge of the trade radius, clicking off IVU and trading- it just gets eaten and yet does not actually attack me.

It seems if there's someone to IVU you chances are it's a necro or a chanter who could just charm it anyway.

Aaand I don't think a potion would work, since you can't cast whilst trading.

The method I posted just worked for me. The reason it won't work without the invis at all is because kos npcs do not process item trades

That skeleton requires amiable faction, requiring you yourself to have it charmed.

The human skeleton requires > dubious (not kos), allowing someone else to charm it, making it indifferent.

Thulack
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Who reason the person has to use strings on mob is because you need higher then Indiff faction to do the quest. This you don't.

Rhambuk
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
The human skeleton requires > dubious (not kos), allowing someone else to charm it, making it indifferent.

gotcha, DUH, thought it was a charm thing forgot it was a faction thing.

Hawala
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
The method I posted just worked for me. The reason it won't work without the invis at all is because kos npcs do not process item trades

That skeleton requires amiable faction, requiring you yourself to have it charmed.

Thanks nilbog. Been trying to get this quest done for a few months now, I'll try that method when he's up next.

Nefarum
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Nilbog, 2 nights ago I brought my Necro friend who charmed it (the skeleton in CoM). I handed in the bottle and still it got eaten.

People are telling me that I have to bring and enchanter to charm, but based on what you're saying a Necro charming it should have worked.

Rhambuk
01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Nilbog, 2 nights ago I brought my Necro friend who charmed it (the skeleton in CoM). I handed in the bottle and still it got eaten.

People are telling me that I have to bring and enchanter to charm, but based on what you're saying a Necro charming it should have worked.

charm is charm it shouldn't matter what class, should be able to use a bard...unless level difference due to song restriction....

nilbog
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Not sure what the problem would be.. I just tried this on the pve server, and used Cajole Undead to charm as a necromancer. Worked fine.