PDA

View Full Version : Everquest WAS great

lazcar
01-04-2014, 06:56 AM
For all of you who do not believe in evolution take a moment and think. The last few weeks show you one thing! Everquest WAS the beginning of a great era of gaming. But everything evolves and thus did the realm of MMORPG! To all of you who say EQ is a kill based game I tell you: WoW takes more skill to be top end the Everquest! BURN!??!?!?! But true!! One important result of evolution is improvement. The current thread in Server chat about instances shows this! The current raid scene shows this... I do not blame IB or TMO for anthing!!! instances are the resultant of treating the raidscene as such..

The point being...

There is no point is flaming, blaming, or argueing...

As long as p99 is a non instanced game there will be anger.. .there will be arguements.. there will be injustice. There is a reason the modern gamin community has moved in a certain direction.

Everquest IS the founding father do this. The reason the raid scene does not work on this server is 3 things(f u gramma nazis)
1) The majority of the players are not ignorant of the game as in classic
2) The game is 15 years old so everything is known about it
3) IF YOU WANT COMPETITION TRY PLAYING A GAME WHERE THE CONTENT ISNT 15 YEARS OLD NECKBEARD MOUTH BREATHERS?!?!?!

Those who are currently giving up IRL to play this game I /feelbadforu

Swish
01-04-2014, 06:59 AM
To all of you who say EQ is a kill based game I tell you: WoW takes more skill to be top end the Everquest! BURN!??!?!?! But true!

http://whatzhotandnot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wtf-gif.gif

JerSar
01-04-2014, 07:00 AM
For all of you who do not believe in evolution take a moment and think. The last few weeks show you one thing! Everquest WAS the beginning of a great era of gaming. But everything evolves and thus did the realm of MMORPG! To all of you who say EQ is a kill based game I tell you: WoW takes more skill to be top end the Everquest! BURN!??!?!?! But true!! One important result of evolution is improvement. The current thread in Server chat about instances shows this! The current raid scene shows this... I do not blame IB or TMO for anthing!!! instances are the resultant of treating the raidscene as such..

The point being...

As long as p99 is a non instanced game there will be anger.. .there will be arguements.. there will be injustice. There is a reason the modern gamin community has moved in a certain direction.

Everquest IS the founding father do this. The reason the raid scene does not work on this server is 3 things(f u gramma nazis)
3) IF YOU WANT COMPETITION TRY PLAYING A GAME WHERE THE CONTENT ISNT 15 YEARS OLD NECKBEARD MOUTH BREATHERS?!?!?!

Why isn't this in RnF?

Razdeline
01-04-2014, 07:00 AM
It works regardless of the drama it causes

Drama is compelling

Compelling draws people

People make community

Oh, and people like to raid here

lazcar
01-04-2014, 07:05 AM
It works regardless of the drama it causes

Drama is compelling

Compelling draws people

People make community

Oh, and people like to raid here

Oh, of the people who play here, NOT VERY MANY LIKE TO RAID IN THIS ENVIRONMENT.

JerSar
01-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Oh, of the people who play here, NOT VERY MANY LIKE TO RAID.

Where are your statistics man????

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133874

Go vote.

lazcar
01-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Where are your statistics man????

The fact that raiding is being held hostage by hardcore gamers? And that they are being called:
Casual scum

Or that the raiding is being held hostage by the 5%? Because they don't know how to share as taught in Pre -k-4 or kindergartener.

Pick your poison.

I voted yes to your pole.. I like to raid.. but your pole means nothing.

JerSar
01-04-2014, 07:11 AM
The fact that raiding is being held hostage by hardcore gamers? And that they are being called:
Casual scum

Or that the raiding is being held hostage by the 5%? Because they don't know how to share as taught in Pre -k-4 or kindergartener.

Pick your poison.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mboqqv9VDK1rhxm3co1_500.gif

Swish
01-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Oh, of the people who play here, NOT VERY MANY LIKE TO RAID.

http://replygif.net/i/131.gif

Pyrocat
01-04-2014, 07:14 AM
1/10

Generous.

Lisset
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
/yawn

I never thought trolling would be a lost art. And for crying out f-ing loud, at least TRY to be literate!

Clark
01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
1/10

Sirbanmelotz
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Tldr

Obrae
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM

The point being...

What made EQ great wasnt its end game, it was the need for people to work together. And the fact that 1-59 wasnt just a grind to get to 60. it was fun from 1 to 60.

Hell most people never reached top level and had fun, made friend and such.
Also there was justice, if you were an ass you couldn't get away with it. Where as in wow... the game will force us to play with assholes.

fastboy21
01-04-2014, 01:44 PM
The OP assumes that EQ is all about gathering pixels and "winning". If this is the case, I 100% agree with you. Modern MMOs have much more depth to their combat systems, raiding targets, etc.

But I don't agree with the premise. EQ isn't about those things. What makes EQ great is that the system lends itself to socialization.

I make more "friends" and have more interaction in one night of EQ grouping then I do in a year of most new MMOs. I mean that literally.

Arteker
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
The OP assumes that EQ is all about gathering pixels and "winning". If this is the case, I 100% agree with you. Modern MMOs have much more depth to their combat systems, raiding targets, etc.

But I don't agree with the premise. EQ isn't about those things. What makes EQ great is that the system lends itself to socialization.

I make more "friends" and have more interaction in one night of EQ grouping then I do in a year of most new MMOs. I mean that literally.

when actualy raid world become more and more complex u usaly needed o sociaalmor have charisma to keep together a bunch of psychos lusting for pixels and often(as was my case ) because a feud with other guidl(from other server nothing less).

But u forgot aswell how much cry was in everquest there was always alot of QQ btw different class and balance, i still remember how pissed where clerics when deepwater helm use begin to be very popular for downtime group healing , ( and they lobbied to get it nerfed and their own arms in the same time).

twizztid
01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Games that are instanced are ez mode for new age gamer pussies.

radditsu
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Games that are instanced are ez mode for new age gamer pussies.

We all walked uphill both ways in the snow too. Get over yourself.

twizztid
01-04-2014, 02:38 PM
We all walked uphill both ways in the snow too. Get over yourself.

Im on your side. Im speaking to the original poster as he is saying instances are the only solution. Literacy. I has it.

Clark
01-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Is great not was.

Norathorr
01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I would agree with the OP about a number of things. I certainly agree that raiding in Wow takes alot more skill than it does here. I played Wow during cataclysm and raiding there was certainly on par and perhaps a little harder mechanically than even EQ during Dodh and TBS. Any base level wow raid during Cat was harder than anything this era of EQ has to offer. The only mob that I think will be difficult in P1999 is AoW from a purely mathematical perspective. That mob puts out a ton of damage on a non AAed tank, thus the healing and dps requirements will make it rough. The only challenge in raiding in this era of EQ is being there. Thats the only thing you have to do is log on and zerg. The mobs have no mechanics that make them a challenge whatsoever. It is a matter of being willing to zerg and ludicrous times that allows you to get pixels.

I do however think the advantage of eq during this era was the social element. Communities in modern MMOs are horrible as reputation means nothing and group and raid finders ruin the social element of the game. Everquest certainly from a grouping perspective has alot to offer the modern MMO template.

Having said that about raiding. One could claim to be awesome taking down big raid mobs with small numbers, squeezing every last bit out of your class to win. Sadly in a contested raid environment the only people that see big mobs are those that are willing to log on in large numbers any time any place while some poor dragon cowers in the corner.

fastboy21
01-04-2014, 03:37 PM
when actualy raid world become more and more complex u usaly needed o sociaalmor have charisma to keep together a bunch of psychos lusting for pixels and often(as was my case ) because a feud with other guidl(from other server nothing less).

But u forgot aswell how much cry was in everquest there was always alot of QQ btw different class and balance, i still remember how pissed where clerics when deepwater helm use begin to be very popular for downtime group healing , ( and they lobbied to get it nerfed and their own arms in the same time).

the game action you are describing (class balance, itemization balance, etc.) contributed to the social factors of the game. people didn't socialize in EQ because they were nicer folks or more extroverted than the folks playing modern MMOs today. They did it because the game required it.

There were multiple IN GAME reasons to interact with other players. Even a simple low level dungeon requires a modicum of social interaction in EQ.

Yes, it meant nights that you had your lfg tag up till late and still never found a group...and all other kinds of bad things. In the end, I think folks who love EQ are the people who decided that all the hardships are worth the benefit of playing in a world that feels more real because of the socialization behind it.

Tann
01-04-2014, 09:05 PM
the game action you are describing (class balance, itemization balance, etc.) contributed to the social factors of the game. people didn't socialize in EQ because they were nicer folks or more extroverted than the folks playing modern MMOs today. They did it because the game required it.

There were multiple IN GAME reasons to interact with other players. Even a simple low level dungeon requires a modicum of social interaction in EQ.

Yes, it meant nights that you had your lfg tag up till late and still never found a group...and all other kinds of bad things. In the end, I think folks who love EQ are the people who decided that all the hardships are worth the benefit of playing in a world that feels more real because of the socialization behind it.

Sadly new mmo's are the exact opposite, no need for grouping or communicating. Defiance is/was a great example.

Tecmos Deception
01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
1/10

Too generous.

Sadre Spinegnawer
01-04-2014, 09:25 PM

The point being...

Make this man a GM, stat. His clarity of insight, his grasp of the whole, his obvious ability to synthesize large amounts of information quickly and accurately, and his uncanny knack at cutting through bullshit only he sees and understands, will leave lesser GM's deferring to his judgment about in-game conflicts, and I think it is crystal clear:

This man should lead us.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-04-2014, 11:43 PM

Wonderfully put.

Nekkojakk
01-05-2014, 03:28 AM
To be fair to the OP. Quite a few of the posts in the last week have talked about how the only challenge of raiding is beating the other guilds to engage.

EQ is about leveling with other people, very few classes are self sufficient. It was making groups that weren't ideal work because you didn't have any other option. People had to know what they could do with their class.