PDA

View Full Version : At what population does a blue server split/new blue server become viable?

Messianic
01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Just thinking that this might actually relieve some of the pressure from the current blue environment.

I would never want the server split if it would spread the population too thin, but the numbers i'm seeing during primetime are pretty darn good. Maybe we're not there yet, but it's worth considering.

Ravager
01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Depends. If they let people play 2 blue servers simultanteously, like they do with blue and red, we're just going to have the same crap on 2 servers instead of 1.

Rhambuk
01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I'd say an average of 2500 a night.

Messianic
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Depends. If they let people play 2 blue servers simultanteously, like they do with blue and red, we're just going to have the same crap on 2 servers instead of 1.

That's something I considered; I don't know if we know that. I think on a server with a population of 600 during primetime, having a TMO-like monster guild is less of a problem.

I'd say an average of 2500 a night.

That high? I can't imagine how crowded this server would feel with 2500 a night. Live servers had a far smaller raiding population comparative to general leveling/soloing population.

Rhambuk
01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
That high? I can't imagine how crowded this server would feel with 2500 a night. Live servers had a far smaller raiding population comparative to general leveling/soloing population.

I was thinking of average live pop, but then again live servers didn't have 10 raiding guilds haha.

it could probably handle a split right now honestly

drakelord
01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
The downside to a split though is that it makes it harder for everyone pre-60 to group up as there won't be as many people on each server.

Atmas
01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I'd say we are at the point were two servers are needed if rotations are going to be enforced for people to experience content. This server is way too top heavy. Has like 8 times the pop appropriate in high level players for the end game content.

Ravager
01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
That's something I considered; I don't know if we know that. I think on a server with a population of 600 during primetime, having a TMO-like monster guild is less of a problem.

It'd be more of a problem. A year and a half ago 600 was the max during primetime, sometimes less. TMO was killing virtually everything uncontested. When they logged on to raid they would consist of 25% or more of the server population.

ppdanny
01-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Project 1999 didn't start with 1000+ people. You have to consider that about 75%+ of project 1999 players aren't made up of casual people trying EverQuest out or learning its mechanics. When the server was 1st released, how many people knew exactly where to "easy mode" jboots, where to camp a manastone (that they knew would have limited availability), that knew the quest for thex dagger. A lot of these players no longer play anymore, but my point is we aren't dealing with a typical uneducated bunch of players. On live my brother and I started in classic with a paladin/cleric combo. You know what gear we got for them? We duo'd HGs to gear them both out in plate (sold by freeport blacksmithing vendors). Had I known even 2-3months from then what I know now, I realize that was a waste of our plat at the time.

This server was raid heavy even when it was averaging 500-70 players, and that we are constantly on the upstream means we are in need of a new blue server badly, with proper progression reset. I would honestly, tighten it up a little and do 2x classic time-frame. Also, this is something to do once velious is released on current blue server. I have 2 chars with epics and would gladly not play on blue again if a new server came out with proper progression.

BurgyK
01-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Split into 2 servers and move half accounts to other server at random

Piff
01-03-2014, 12:09 PM
new blue server tied to current one - making it impossible to play both simultaneously.
result: old blue consists solely of raidforces. new blue experiences initial classic-eq fun before cross-server trading picks up. soon old blue and new blue are 2x the current raid population due to dual servers.

Vandy
01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
This is more work/resources for an already over burdened staff. Screw Kunark, lock all the raid bosses and let everyone play non-raid style. If you only want to raid then go through the forums and find the Velious threads that need questions answered and problems solved. Apply your time and pro internet skills and help churn out Velious.

loramin
01-03-2014, 01:16 PM
go through the forums and find the Velious threads that need questions answered and problems solved. Apply your time and pro internet skills and help churn out Velious.

Amen. Also, I thought the the devs said something to the effect that this current server is almost a demo run, and once Velious (and the post-Velious content) is complete they plan to start a new server that actually runs on the real timeline (no million years of Kunark). If that's correct, then in a way helping with Velious is helping get to a new server.

Swish
01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Yeah right... because if a 2nd server goes up, maybe 10% of the players will stay ;)

Rhambuk
01-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah right... because if a 2nd server goes up, maybe 10% of the players will stay ;)

I think it would even out over time.

Change your sig back !