PDA

View Full Version : Server is down to fix EC crash bug.

bOONDOGGLE
01-03-2014, 03:43 AM
The server was taken down to fix the bug in EC that crashes/terminates the game client.

This may not be the ONLY reason it was taken down, but it was reportedly "taken down until [a p99 dev] fixes the problem."

I apologize to the staff if I was not supposed to broadcast this information.

Tierael
01-03-2014, 03:53 AM
Sorry guys, only got home about an hour and a half ago.

Thanks for the reports - I checked the packets Salty was sending at those times. Looks like he discovered the client doesn't like emote packets over a certain size (it crashes the chat buffer).

I have it fixed. Will need to pull server down, so I'll do it later tonight unless he keeps doing it (Derubael is on Salty Watch atm).

P.S. He wonders why people hate him.

More information regarding this for those interested - The client typically limits the amount of text you can type into the chat at any time to about 512 characters. However the emote packet the client sends the server is always 1028 in size. It contains an int32 and then a 1024 char with the message.

The server then takes that packet and adds the character name to the message, which pushes the message portion even larger.

Since the client's chat is limited to 512 this is typically never an issue. Every character Salty logged into was flagged for MQ2 so he was forcing the client to send an emote packet filled with a 1023 length message. With the name added, this passes the size the client's chat buffer can handle, and caused everyone to crash.

bOONDOGGLE
01-03-2014, 04:01 AM
Thank you so much for more concrete info. Much appreciated.

bOONDOGGLE
01-03-2014, 04:02 AM
... and who is "Salty"?

Sorry, i'm new.

salimoneus
01-03-2014, 06:08 AM
... and who is "Salty"?

Chef is of course.

http://youtu.be/w24Xd8fVlTU

Swish
01-03-2014, 06:23 AM
... and who is "Salty"?

Sorry, i'm new.

Someone else with an axe to grind. People like that need to go outside.