PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play on p99?

Vladigan
01-03-2014, 02:35 AM
All the recent drama really seems to be over-looking the obvious....

Why the hell are you all here?

Is your life truly THAT pathetic that you have to argue and bicker over a game that has been around for 14 years?

I am guessing here, but I assume most of you, like me, played on live so many years ago and returned here for maybe:

1.) A chance to reminisce
2.) A chance to experience what you didn't/couldn't 14 years ago
3.) The fact that this game is the ONLY MMORPG that actually has a community

However it is abundantly clear that some of you are simply here to try and prove something because your real life is so insignificant that you feel the need to "dominate" a fantasy world.

Do you people realize this is a game? That all of this is created by the devs and can be taken away with a push of a button. All your hours of "work" gone in a blink of an eye.... now what will you do with your life.

Its real simple folks... this game is a huge sandbox... you need to learn to share. If you want to be the bully in the box, be prepared to be disliked.

I for one would love to raid when I get high enough, but I sure as hell don't need it so bad that I am going to sit for hours/days at a time waiting my chance to "compete" for a spawn in the slight chance of winning fantasy items.

There's no challenge..... I would rather wipe with an entire guild of "casuals" attempting a Fear break in then sit around waiting for a spawn that is downed in 20 seconds.

So again, what is the purpose of this server. Is it to allow people the opportunity to share in their goals, even in a casual setting, or is it about allowing a small percentage of the population to dominate and block the rest of the server from the experience of the game itself.....

I think the devs have made their position clear. Play nice, getting along, help others... and if your life is so sad that you can't do this... well.... I just pity you :(

AexDestroy
01-03-2014, 02:43 AM
TO DOMINATE.

TO BE BADASS.

TO BE MORE BADASS THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

TO UTILIZE MY BADASSNESS TO ENSURE PROGRESSIVELY INCREASING LEVELS OF BADASSNESS.

TO UTILIZE MY BADASSNESS TO PREVENT PROGRESSION OF OTHER PEOPLES LEVELS OF BADASSNESS TO WIDEN THE GAP OF BADASSNESS.

Xelris
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
I just wanna kill dragons.

Nekkojakk
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Bored with all the modern MMOs on the market atm. Looking to relive the old days(grouping) and maybe experience some new stuff (epic/raiding).

Honestly the drama doesn't affect me in the slightest. I doubt I'll ever be able to invest enough time to raid let alone be able to be called and pop into the game as soon as something pops.

Mac Dretti
01-03-2014, 03:00 AM
To sit in ec and lvl alts to 14 on orc camps, thusly creating a monopoly on death fist belts

joppykid
01-03-2014, 03:06 AM
To sit in ec and lvl alts to 14 on orc camps, thusly creating a monopoly on death fist belts

Lol

Nocsucow
01-03-2014, 03:08 AM
i play cause i just love EQ if i had every class and race lvl 60 and every piece of gear in the game i would still play cause i love this game

Portasaurus
01-03-2014, 03:16 AM
i'm in it for the scorpion meat

Autotune
01-03-2014, 03:17 AM
I just wanna steal dragons.

I fix and second this.

Nocsucow
01-03-2014, 03:18 AM
I fix and second this.

your a fag

Autotune
01-03-2014, 03:26 AM
you're a fag

fixed and second this too.

Nocsucow
01-03-2014, 03:28 AM
fixed and second this too.

dont correct my wrong spelling PLZ you and your douche bag guild is already taken away the raid scene dont take away my right to spell HORIBLY WRONGE

Autotune
01-03-2014, 03:29 AM
don't correct my wrong spelling PLZ you and your douche bag guild is already taken away the raid scene don't take away my right to spell HORRIBLY WRONG

okay.

Nefarum
01-03-2014, 03:34 AM
I think this about sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0

bOONDOGGLE
01-03-2014, 03:35 AM
I have a similar comment i've been thinking about.

There is a vast majority of players who love this game. They kill monsters, level up, group with people and make new friends, go on rewarding quests, and get sweet new gear.

We love this game and we have a great time playing it.

It's just the vocal 1% that make it appear like everyone is having some awful time on the server.

Ataxio
01-03-2014, 03:37 AM
And now its time for a Festivus for the Rest Of us, and an airing of grievances if you will. I have remained silent on this topic, and now I'm going wall of text a bit for those who give shits.

My self and Just A Phase's founders are here to take a break from EvE Online. It was only by chance that people followed me here, I started alone.. Two members of my alliance never even played Everquest before and fell in love with p99. That alone says something.

I came back to hear the shitty MIDI music in kelethin and the amazing boat song in DC. To smack around some orcs and spread the truth and good word of the iksar master race. Start fresh with a rusty sword & no help, and end up a guild leader with a modest collection of lut after only 4 months. I can honestly say I had fun here, and will continue to do so.

All of this drama happening with the "end game" content is the exact kind of bullshit I'm here to avoid. From the moment I began playing here, to this moment now, I always knew I'd never even have a shot at my epic as a shadow knight. Not without paying a hefty price, or cupping the balls of some illustrious guild for the chance at looting something. Yeah... No thanks. I'll keep my rusty sword and pride.

We are all here because we enjoy playing oldskool everquest for what it was and is. Its up to us as a collective to determine just what kind of experience were all going to have here. Personally it is my belief there are more good people then bad here. I've never encountered more nice people, or had a better experience on any mmo or server.

For what its worth.. My two cents on the matter. I believe a guild that has established it self has the right to raid whatever they CAN raid. If you have a network of batphones, and the people at the ready. Good on you, have at it.

The problem seems to simply be the general attitude of these guilds, and their poopsocking mentality. I don't see any reason why there is a need to kill anything just out of spite or to keep another guild from killing shit. If I was a dev here, stepping in and removing the players that foster this mentality would be my first act.

Power corrupts. Pure and simple. I've experienced it my self being in the top guild on my EQ2 server. We were all a bunch of douche bags including my self. Even in EvE, my profession as cock-blocker and secretary of offense sees me ruining peoples days just for fun. The solution? Fuck if I know, I'm just here to chase will-o-wisps and smack bongs till I can't find my way out of the EC tunnel.

Nothing should be free or handed out. These "B tier" guild as they are labeled, should absolutely not get anything handed to them. If they are unable to presently raid anything due to current competition, its time to step it up or form an alliance. Nobody has the "right" to raid anything. If you can you can, if you can't you can't. Simple. Is that not how the game was originally intended?

Ask your selves "tier one guilds", why is raiding so damn important to you? I feel like some ineffable quality has been lost here, the spirit of EverQuest if you will. The fun is in the grind.. Not the end. Why do YOU play here on P99?

I may still be a newcomer, But it is my understanding that this server was created to cherish something unique... Something that is not found anywhere else anymore. P99 has become an oasis in a desert of dry content and rehashed concepts. Each person no matter how small shapes the surface of this place. This is not live, nor is this classic. It is Project 1999. So why act like its EQlive? Why not just act like civilized adults, and share your toys in the sandbox?

Before I run out of text characters, I would simply like to praise the server staff for their devotion, care & thought they put into this world each and every day. The nostalgia attacks I experienced on day one here paid an unforgettable homage to my childhood memories.

While I may not have offered any solutions here, or even any help. I wanted to state my mind publicly. Thank you for listening.

Ataxio
<Just A Phase>

Clark
01-03-2014, 03:37 AM
I have a similar comment i've been thinking about.

There is a vast majority of players who love this game. They kill monsters, level up, group with people and make new friends, go on rewarding quests, and get sweet new gear.

We love this game and we have a great time playing it.

It's just the vocal 1% that make it appear like everyone is having some awful time on the server.

Clark
01-03-2014, 03:39 AM
And now its time for a Festivus for the Rest Of Us

Nothing should be free or handed out. These "B tier" guild as they are labeled, should absolutely not get anything handed to them. If they are unable to presently raid anything due to current competition, its time to step it up or form an alliance. Nobody has the "right" to raid anything. If you can you can, if you can't you can't. Simple. Is that not how the game was originally intended?

phacemeltar
01-03-2014, 03:40 AM
im here for the ladies, man. the ladies.

Hinshi Budou
01-03-2014, 03:40 AM
I play to meet awesome ppl and to kill time a little, and this is the most dynamic, fun and challenging mmo I have ever experienced... providing you are not an autoattack buttonmashing class i guess. Oh and the pixels are fun too but far from the most important aspect.

mgellan
01-03-2014, 03:44 AM
I'm here to do what I never got done the first time round :)

Regards,
Mg

Butanehoneyoil
01-03-2014, 03:47 AM
The problem seems to simply be the general attitude of these guilds, and their poopsocking mentality. I don't see any reason why there is a need to kill anything just out of spite or to keep another guild from killing shit. If I was a dev here, stepping in and removing the players that foster this mentality would be my first act. -Ataxio

Couldn't have read it better. But hey I have a life, no poopsocking needed :D

titanshub
01-03-2014, 03:53 AM
I am here to experience the thrill of running 31 stacks of spiderling silks from Kunark to EC on a level 10. There is just something special about EQ and I forgot how awesome it was. I've been playing for 2 weeks now and I originally logged on just to goof around in Neriak for the evening. 30 seconds in and a monk gave me 5pp to buy bags and spells. That chance encounter turned into a booming career in the spiderling silk industry, some decent starter gear, and me suckering a couple of RL friends into playing.

I don't really care about the raid thing but it is hilarious so you all should keep doing whatever you are doing.

antracus
01-03-2014, 07:12 AM
If you play to "dominate the server" then the GMs should do you a favor and ban you so you GET A LIFE. This is a sandbox, leave the sand box or the yard duty (or the group) will eventually kick you out.

Tecmos Deception
01-03-2014, 07:15 AM
TO DOMINATE.

TO BE BADASS.

TO BE MORE BADASS THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

TO UTILIZE MY BADASSNESS TO ENSURE PROGRESSIVELY INCREASING LEVELS OF BADASSNESS.

TO UTILIZE MY BADASSNESS TO PREVENT PROGRESSION OF OTHER PEOPLES LEVELS OF BADASSNESS TO WIDEN THE GAP OF BADASSNESS.

I bonered.

myriverse
01-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Just to watch my avatars swing swords at shit.

baalzy
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I want to be the baddest ass, like noone ever was.

To raid them is my true test, to train them is my cause!

Rhambuk
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I came back in January 2010 for nostalgia strictly. I LOVE raiding with my guild but its not worth it when you have to put up with the insane amount of bullshit on this server.

Then I logged on to help people, buffs free Pl free ports anything I could do because I was max level biS minus raid and didn't want any part of that mess.

Then I sold my account, worst thing ever.

now im starting fresh with some pp and im doing it for nostalgia.

Some men just want to watch norrath burn.

Iandyan
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
im here for the ladies, man. the ladies.

Silken
01-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I came here to revisit the greatest MMO ever created, pre-Luclin Everquest! Also due to the sheer age of the game, most of the community is roughly the same age/demographic as me, which makes it considerably more appealing than most modern MMOs. Did the whole raiding thing on live during the PoP era, came to eventually no longer enjoy it, so recent goings on are a non-factor to me.

HeallunRumblebelly
01-03-2014, 02:40 PM
TO CRUSH MY ENEMIES

SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE ME

AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN

heazels
01-03-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm here to tell everyone Jesus loves them

heazels
01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
oh, and to troll...

Rhambuk
01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Jesus trolled so good people still believe him 2000 years later.

radditsu
01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Two chicks at the same time

Kennie
01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Nostalgia. Fun. A break from work and the girlfriend. Love the server. Perfect if you have a life outside of EQ, but many here don't so they cry about something great and try their best to ruin it.

jakkin
01-04-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm here to relive my early days in Norrath in 1999, see the shit I never got to see and do the shit I never got to do. Plus, I have an arm like a damn rocket, a cock like a burmese python, and the mind of a fucking scientist.

Griffiths (53 Druid)
Just a Phase

Uteunayr
01-04-2014, 09:14 PM
I want to earn my epic.

Not buy it, not become a hardcore raider again and delve into that atmosphere... I want to earn my duck staff by doing good for the community, good for my fellow necros, and good for my guild.

Simple desires, lol. So, I'd fit under category B.

Visual
01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I used to like the free player-ran environment, but that has all changed. GMs now tell us how to play :(

Visual
01-04-2014, 09:25 PM
I want to earn my epic.

Not buy it

buying it is moreso earning than having staff forced rotation where you get free kills. You have the loser mentality. Earning by definition involves sacrifice that you admittingly were not willing to do.

oddibemcd
01-04-2014, 09:51 PM
buying it is moreso earning than having staff forced rotation where you get free kills. You have the loser mentality. Earning by definition involves sacrifice that you admittingly were not willing to do.

I play here solely because Kobe Bryant is not one of the top-5 Lakers in history.

nilzark
01-04-2014, 11:11 PM
This game is addicting. And this forum is hilarious.

Uteunayr
01-04-2014, 11:32 PM

Bullshit. Buying it is not earning, as you in no way helped organize a way to kill the mobs yourself. You paid someone to do it.

No one gets free kills. Not even under a rotation do you get free kills. You get a mob to focus on, but you still need to track it, and manage to overcome the challenge of the game, the organization, to make it happen.

Do not equate playing by the worst levels of sportsmanship as being equivalent to earning. I sacrifice my time, I sacrifice my energy, my effort. I do as much as I can to help my fellow Necromancers, as I have a great deal of expertise. I do all this because this is my fun, this is how EQ is meant to be, this is how EQ was on my server. I will not degrade myself and become a worse human being to earn a set of pixels, and no one should have to do that.

Yes, I want to earn it. I want to work hard with my guild, and with other guilds, so when a CT that we get to share among the 7, 10, 13 (depending on your count) different casual guilds, when that CT goes to my guild, and when among all the necros in my guild, it goes to me for the work I have done, I know I have earned it. You think that's not work? That's not earning it? Others may get it before me, because they have earned it more than I have. But one day, even if it takes years, I will get my turn, because I have earned that right. I have stuck through, and done all I can to make it so that I am the person who deserves it that drop.

But that's beside the point, as I don't want a staff enforced rotation. I want a staff enforced separation of the two types of raiders, and let each create their own system of managing the kills they are allocated (The Staff Proposal). If the other casuals want to rotate, I'll go for that. If they want to compete on more friendly terms than we have ever gotten from TMO and the other hardcore guilds, I will go for that.

So get off the high horse. I am not willing to become my definition of a terrible person for pixels. There are things that even you wouldn't do for pixels. I have my line, you have yours. Just because my line involves not going into the hardcore atmosphere I have been playing as a part of for the last 15 years of MMO history, throughout a variety of MMOs, flooded with bad community, that I abandoned in search of the nostalgia of the old days of EQ, doesn't mean it is less valid than yours. If you'd be willing to degrade your sense of self-respect for a set of pixels in a game, then I think you seriously need to reevaluate your life. If you expect other people to do that, you again need to. Everyone had a different classic experience, and mine was one of unparalleled cooperation and good will. It is why I am here, and it is why I have been writing so much about this.

Clark
01-04-2014, 11:44 PM
HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN

lol

ninjagranny
01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Because I loved EQ from alpha up to Kunark and maybe velious and its still better than the modern games.
Because LOTRO just got killed in the last expansion so I have a lot of free time on my hands.
Because I hate end game raiding boredom

Because EQ 1 is still the most fun .