PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience running EQ in compatibility mode w/ windows 8 ?

Aquinas
01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I played EQ patched over the summer and leveled a cleric to 55 while on vacation. Although it was much fun soloing Guk w/ a merc and picking up a SSoY, I quickly realized what made the game fun for me in the past was lost. After finding 1999 on reddit I realized I want to get back into the game. I checked out Amazon found a number of EQ packs such as Platinum for sale very reasonably priced. I'm itching to pull the trigger but want to ensure I can run EQ on Windows 8 in compatibility mode. After checking out some info, it seems not all older programs work with 8.

Also I want to add I have much time available to game with you folks, and I had a good bit of experience playing the original game. Looking to get with a group of mature like minded individuals. Funny that upstairs is a PS4 I purchased recently (don't kill me I have been a console gamer for years and years, all due to very poor internet availability in my area)... collecting dust. :D

Thanks for the help.

Lightloch
01-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Lots of folks play P99 on Win 8; I have before as well. You should be good to go.

Aquinas
01-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Lots of folks play P99 on Win 8; I have before as well. You should be good to go.

Thanks. Also I have 1 more question. After looking around on ebay and amazon I see various expansion packs for sale...Platnium, Sky, Kunark, etc. Which of these would be a good choice to purchase ? I even see a few of the newer packs for sale. Am totally cluless as what to buy given I am not sure if the new expansion packs already have the changes made to EQ on them (mercs etc). If there is a cutoff on which expansion 1999 uses that would be helpful as well.

Lightloch
01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
'EverQuest Titanium' is the only version compatible with P99, as the server is not allowed to distribute any game files.

For info on where to get it, check here:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=849881#post849881

Aquinas
01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
'EverQuest Titanium' is the only version compatible with P99, as the server is not allowed to distribute any game files.

For info on where to get it, check here:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=849881#post849881

thanks bro...only thing I am worried about is contracting herpes from said process. don't have much xp with t o r r. Did you have any problems with std's from the download ?

Lightloch
01-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Nah I never had any problems and this is a pretty innocent set of files. You may need the free Daemon Tools Lite program or similar to mount any disc images.

Aquinas
01-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Nah I never had any problems and this is a pretty innocent set of files. You may need the free Daemon Tools Lite program or similar to mount any disc images.

good to hear - appreciate the help :D

phacemeltar
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
windows 8 has native disc mounting. also, run compatibility mode for win 95. works like a charm.