PDA

View Full Version : Friend and I new to P99. Good class combos?

Ando
12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi all. A friend and I are in the process of getting P99 up and running. We played eq classic for a while and want to enjoy some nostalgia. Thing is, we can't decide on the classes we want to play.

We want something that is a good duo, but can also serve as a solid foundation for a group, with each of the classes having at least some solo capability. Right now we're thinking shaman/monk, but that seems so cliché. Any interesting ideas?

Thanks, and I'm excited to join the community.

samkds
12-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Shaman/Enchanter all the way!

Exmo
12-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Shaman Warrior
Shaman Mage
Cleric War (Will group lots, or find lots of clickie/proc weapons)
Necro Necro
Shaman Wizard
Shaman Druid

All depends on how you want to play

Kite? Tank? Root Rot?

Ando
12-30-2013, 06:54 PM
I'd like something with a tank/healer. I know I'm probably just going to end up going shaman/monk, lol...

August
12-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Suggest using the search feature on this forum, it gets asked a lot and there's a lot of great recommendations out there that match different playstyles.

Shaman/Enchanter are arguably the two most powerful classes, AS YOU LEVEL UP, in the game. That is, they get stronger as they level. This is untrue for almost all other classes since other classes deal in raw numbers and not percentages, and a twinked level 10 monk mows through mobs whereas a lvl 50 monk in the same gear may not be able to solo an even con.

The best advice is to play what you want to play otherwise you'll quit playing it. Almost any two classes picked somewhat wisely can have fun duoing together.

Pint
12-30-2013, 06:58 PM
paladin/enchanter, choose paladin/enchanter

Pheer
12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
shaman/SK has always been one of my favorite duos

Xelris
12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Any combination of SK + Cler or sham is extremely solid, though grouping at the high end you're better off with the cleric (shaman.... shaman everywhere). For duoing in big game hunting, you're better off SK + Shammy.

For going to the top as quickly as possible you could go wizard + bard. You are your own AE group.

Retti_
12-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Ranger bard good for tracking and bowing people down

baalzy
12-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Paladin/Enchanter is solid. Enchanter charms for mad DPS and the Paladin is capable of keep its health up.

I've been trio'ing Paladin/Enchanter/Cleric and those two don't *need* my cleric, I just give them less down-time since the paladin doesn't have to use mana for heals.

JayN
12-30-2013, 08:20 PM
sham/mnk ftw

Glorindale
12-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Shaman/Enchanter all the way!

This

Ciel
12-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the Server!

sanforce
12-31-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm partial to the Shaman / SK combo. Monk is good, but can't tank mobs in the second half of the game (50+). High levels, the shaman can basically root rot mobs while the SK tears through them 1 at a time.

In terms of gear availability to a new player, I'd probably go shaman/enchanter. Lots of melee twinks running around and I think a well played caster duo can mostly bypass the twink limitations.

DrathMaximus
12-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Shaman + Necromancer 1-60.

DrKvothe
12-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Shm/ench is a retardedly powerful combo.Top two solo classes with pretty awesome synergy to boot. If you want to dungeon crawl, building your group from this duo will be extremely rewarding.

JayN
12-31-2013, 01:36 AM
I'm partial to the Shaman / SK combo. Monk is good, but can't tank mobs in the second half of the game (50+). High levels, the shaman can basically root rot mobs while the SK tears through them 1 at a time.

In terms of gear availability to a new player, I'd probably go shaman/enchanter. Lots of melee twinks running around and I think a well played caster duo can mostly bypass the twink limitations.

with shamans slow they can, hell once something is slowed in classic any class can tank lol

DrKvothe
12-31-2013, 01:40 AM
Imagine if your new, poorly geared enchanter had access to heals, sow, charisma/hp buffs, malo line debuff on pet, str buff to actually pick up loot, and someone to pick up aggro, slow, and root when necessary. Dots if mana permits.

Imagine if your new, poorly geared shaman had access to OP pets, clarity, and remarkable cc.

Tantrix
12-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Hi all. A friend and I are in the process of getting P99 up and running. We played eq classic for a while and want to enjoy some nostalgia. Thing is, we can't decide on the classes we want to play.

We want something that is a good duo, but can also serve as a solid foundation for a group, with each of the classes having at least some solo capability. Right now we're thinking shaman/monk, but that seems so cliché. Any interesting ideas?

Thanks, and I'm excited to join the community.

I think you had it right to begin with, Shaman/Monk...but Shaman/SK would be good as well. Shamans are probably the most versatile class in the game IMO.

Bossman
12-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Shaman/rogue! Shaman slow tanks and rogue destroys