PDA

View Full Version : Bob's take on the Raid Scene Discussion

citizen1080
12-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Instead of replying to Loraen's post,

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132726 ,

I decided to make a new one supporting this idea. I think more people need to see it and honestly consider it a viable option.

This is the best idea put forth so far. All the other "solutions" cater to one guild or another. This puts all guilds on level playing ground and brings true competition and racing back to the game. No one likes socking mobs, everyone likes racing. I fail to see drawbacks to this plan.

I am a member of A-Team. However, I am also well known on the server as being a neutral party in all things. Everyone needs to step back and think about the server happiness as a whole, this is good for everyone. There are no handouts, there is just classic competition and everyone will benefit from it except maybe TMO, but nothing says TMO can't steam roll all the top tier content and get what matters to them anyways.

To those arguing this requires too much staff involvement. This will take up a lot less of their time than answering everyone's piss ant petitions regarding raid disputes and rule lawyering.

As for not rotating between alts camped out at bosses I agree with those who say this will be unmanageable. However, there maybe be other options to help deter people from doing this.

To those saying this will inflate number of pixels. Who cares? 3 years of Kunark has already done this worse than any repop schedule could manage at this point.

While this may not be the perfect solution I think it or a edited version of this is our best solution available.

The best solution to our raid scene is going to leave everyone unhappy to one extent or another. The sooner we all face that the sooner we can move on and enjoy Verrrrous.

Here's to hoping for a better, more mature, and exciting raid scene in 2014.

Cheers,

Bob

...What is driving me nuts this whole time is the obvious superiority of server repops to anything that can be negotiated:

Rogean wants fewer petitions and wasted CSR time; repops put other guilds in different zones where its harder to fuck things up. Furthermore, the guides can figure out a repop time in advance when they can all be on and watching rather than 15 different times.
Rogean wants a bit of a spread on loot, and repops give that: its very hard for one guild to run the table, especially since TMO can't train-delay in VP. Empirically, the last repop resulted in a pretty even distribution of mobs.
The zerg guilds who roll with 50+ to trivialize the encounters hate the idea of 'handouts' (defined by them as mobs killed without time pressure regardless of actual mob abilities and level and such); those do not exist during repops
Everyone can compete to their hearts content and it will be real competition to see who can do the encounters as quickly and cleanly as possible, not who can log on their 5th alt the fastest at 5AM.
Server resets have been demonstrated to be extremely classic; variance is extremely not-classic.
Furthermore we now know that Rogean can make a repop happen with a total of 15 lines of GM commands, because it happened this Sunday. If Sirken were to make this a macro, he could make a repop happen in 3-4 seconds. There are zero technical hurdles. It's trivial. It doesn't take away from Velious development or anything else. And its clearly way less work that tackling hundreds of petitions.

All we need is repops and two simple rules: guilds are not allowed to split their forces, and players are not allowed to rotate between camped alts.. Boom, all raid problems solved. It's a win for everyone: the uberguilds get to compete without stepping on each others toes and get a bigger piece of the pie, the guides have less work to do, and the casual scum get a chance at the encounters without camping out alts, poopsocking, batphoning tracking, and all of the other nonsense.

Which brings me to Tinfoil Hat Time, courtesy of Derubael. Rogean is a smart guy and I'm sure he's realized all of the above. So the question is why hasn't he tried it?

OK, I had to get all this off my chest. You may now all flame me.

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/Assets/godzilla.jpg

Erasong
12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I love you bob.

Sirbanmelotz
12-29-2013, 02:13 AM
A+

Clark
12-29-2013, 02:31 AM
:D

Nirgon
12-29-2013, 03:16 AM
All the other "solutions" cater to one guild or another.

Now here's someone who definitely GETS IT.

Swish
12-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Here's to hoping for a better, more mature, and exciting raid scene in 2014.

gummab
12-29-2013, 05:49 AM
I like this idea,although some repops need to be on euro time.(Gimmie dem pixels.)

On a side note though,all these threads are addressing guilds getting a fairer shout at mobs.When the main issue in my eyes is the lack of respect between guilds.

Training,pooping,leapfrogging,being utter a/holes.

I could not care less about pixels or free handouts(though i would like to kill every boss mob at least once.)

Amargura
12-29-2013, 05:50 AM
This sounds fair enough

Racun
12-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I'd like to see 2 repops per week. 1 full repop on a 7 day +/-12 hour timer (some variance on this would be necessary to cater to euro/other time zones - doesn't have to be 12 hours), and 1 repop for 3 day spawns (trak/draco/maestro etc) on an 84 hour +/-12 hour timer. If the 7 day repop occurs it resets the 84 hour repop timer also.

This way you would get basically the same amount of raid targets spawning per week but noone would be able to lock them all down. If you are worried about the fact that it means slightly less loot total because those 3 day spawns move from 72 -> 84 hour average spawn time then the GM's could perhaps offset this by including lower priority targets (Fay/Naggy/Vox perhaps?) as part of the 84 hour repop.

This is also something that could be used as a framework going forward and player agreements could be added on top if it isn't working exactly as we would hope (i.e. more guilds getting raid targets, top guilds getting less targets but still their top priorities).

I don't think a perfect solution is something we will reach immediately but will be something we reach incrementally by trying new ideas. Re-pops definitely seem to be the way to go for promoting competition whilst allowing everyone to compete on a level playing field.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
+1. hows it going bob?

We gonna have an avatar fight ralph <_<

With the expected in the background, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yigc4z1gFA4

Crosswind
12-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Still by far the best idea going.

-Cross

kotton05
12-29-2013, 11:15 AM
what about his idea for raiding sky?

citizen1080
12-29-2013, 02:02 PM
what about his idea for raiding sky?

If you are talking about getting more ND kills and spreading around the love I think that is a win/win and we would be fools to do otherwise.