PDA

View Full Version : Looking for updated information on what I can farm for plat.

Bleezar
12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I've read a few guides here and there on where to go and what to farm for loot. It seems like most places I go to that are mentioned are being camped and there isn't a whole lot I can do about that. Also, given that most of the guides I have found are from years back, I'm really eager to find out if anything is better or worse off to buy or sell.

I don't know the macroeconomics at play in this current day and time, but I know things change when it comes to buying and selling. The market could be flooded for some commonly farmed items and therefore the value could drop, rendering that specific commodity to be of lesser value. On the other hand, there could be things that are not as commonly farmed that would better sell. All these things come into play, and with the old guides I have read through, they could easily have been good for that current time period and not be as well off in this project 1999 world we play in today. Who knows?

I was hoping this thread could serve as fresher, more current list of things that might be worth farming. I'm sure this gets posted every other day, someone asking for suggestions on what to farm and where, and I apologize in advance for that. I started back playing after taking a while off, and I just wanted to get back on my feet as best I can and get some platinum in my bank. Spells are expensive, as well as gear; currently I have neither of those but would like the means to provide for myself.

All suggestions welcome, please and thank you.

Bleezar
12-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Class and level?

Monk, level 4. Like I said, just started back playing.

radditsu
12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
The same places as always, caster classes should level up to a point they can farm stuff.

Druids ...ports or hill giants... Seafury's are great if you are higher and can take the heat.

I hear sashes are good off bandits in the karanas. Nybright sisters.

Same places since a year ago, or two years ago.

radditsu
12-26-2013, 05:58 PM
As a monk you will get too bogged down with weight too quickly. Doable, but slower than most.

Bleezar
12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
As a monk you will get too bogged down with weight too quickly. Doable, but slower than most.

Aw.

loramin
12-26-2013, 06:44 PM

I'm not a monk myself, but there was another "monk wondering about looting" thread recently and the consensus among monk players who answered that thread was that the weight issue isn't really relevant until the 40's.

zanderklocke
12-26-2013, 06:46 PM
If you collect stacks of pixie dust for me in Gfay/LFay, I will pay you 250p per stack or 10p per piece.

That is very good money at low levels.

Bleezar
12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
If you collect stacks of pixie dust for me in Gfay/LFay, I will pay you 250p per stack or 10p per piece.

That is very good money at low levels.

I will do everything in my power to collect this pixie dust for you. At level 6 I don't know how good I will be at it but I will try.

If you are online sometime send Doubletap a /tell

sedrie.bellamie
12-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Monk, level 4. Like I said, just started back playing.

most of your problems will be solved just by leveling up. Asking where to farm plat at level 4 is kinda dumb. As a monk, you really do not need much gear. Hit Points and STR are what you are looking for as far as gear. Just buy cheap stuff till 50. What you will really want is a weapon or two. And you can find some nice things in the 300-500 plat range in EC. So you really do not need to "farm" as a monk, just level up and plat will come to you.

radditsu
12-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm not a monk myself, but there was another "monk wondering about looting" thread recently and the consensus among monk players who answered that thread was that the weight issue isn't really relevant until the 40's.

I am not on top of monk ac weight tables here. And if ac loss even matters. I hear ac is a little abstract.

Bleezar
12-26-2013, 10:54 PM
most of your problems will be solved just by leveling up. Asking where to farm plat at level 4 is kinda dumb. As a monk, you really do not need much gear. Hit Points and STR are what you are looking for as far as gear. Just buy cheap stuff till 50. What you will really want is a weapon or two. And you can find some nice things in the 300-500 plat range in EC. So you really do not need to "farm" as a monk, just level up and plat will come to you.

Not quite the answer I was hoping for, you missed the point pretty hard. I'd ask you to reread it but I don't think it would do you much good.

Thanks for trying.

Rararboker
12-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Dude he gave you the best advice. Then you spit in his face? Good plan.

radditsu
12-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Dude he gave you the best advice. Then you spit in his face? Good plan.

That dudes a troll. We fell for it.

Rararboker
12-26-2013, 11:06 PM
It happens. But at least he didn't steal that sweet 'stache.

quido
12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Unless you're a badass soloing class with some freetime, probably the best way to go is join a group in a dungeon that is rolling for drops.

Ravager
12-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Kill frogloks in Qeynos sewers until you get a pair of magic gloves. Level up to 10. Go bind in NK at the gypsy camp and kill wisps by the skarana bridge and collect greater lightstones. Turn those into the gypsies for the books that sell back to them for 10pp each. Do that until level 15. Level up to 20. Kill gargoyles on spec island in oot until they're light blue for stacks and stacks of gargoyle eyes that sell for 190p a stack. Go to Everfrost at 26 or 27 and kill mammoths until 32ish which drop tusks that sell for 10p each. At this point you can camp Hadden for fishbone earring (4-5k), Guk Groiblade (lionhide backpack, ring of shadows). There's a lot more camps a 35 monk could do, but those are easy and make good money and useful gear. After that, probably better just to group for loot and exp. Follow that path though and you'll make several kpp to gear up with as you go.

Estu
12-27-2013, 10:28 AM
A good way to figure out what to farm, outside of the typical pure merchant plat cash camps like nybright sisters or giants, is to go on the wiki to a zone you're in (or could be in), look at the 'unique items' list, and look at the prices for each (the wiki has a built-in auction tracker now; this answers your question about fluctuating item values). You can figure out which of the items are worthwhile, and to what extent they're viable for you to get yourself. I used this method to discover a relatively unknown camp, the erudite madman in Erud's Crossing, which I ended up farming for 40k or so before people started finding out about it (mostly from my own updates to the wiki about it, I think!) and it became not worthwhile for me anymore (although for a low level character it remains a good camp, I think).

Also, if you're level 50ish or higher, you should start thinking in terms of platinum per hour. Powerleveling goes for something like 1.5k-2.5k per hour, which means that enough people do camps that give that much or more per hour that they can justify spending that much on someone else's time. People will recommend things like porting or giant farming for druids, for instance, but that's never going to be consistently anywhere near 1k per hour (not saying you can't have a good hour porting, but taking the average, it won't add up).

So if you're high level, think about what your options are and how much plat per hour they net you. Monks, necros, and bards are all excellent PLers, so that's a great option for them. Druids aren't bad either, if you're PLing lower level players. Clerics can run around rezzing people - people will often offer 200-300pp for a rez in a faraway zone, so if you do four or five of those per hour, you're not doing too badly. Any class that's needed for AE Chardok runs (e.g. wizard, enchanter, cleric, anyone factioned with the sarnaks that can act as puller) can make good money there because of the sheer volume of monsters going down per hour, and the fact that some of them will drop valuable loot (e.g. stave of shielding, sarnak battle shield), or nice consistent gems/jewelry. Any class that's useful for groups (e.g. rogue, tank, enchanter, shaman) can join a group to camp something like the fungi tunic, i.e. a camp that drops extremely valuable items and can't be soloed. Classes that are good solo farmers (shamans, enchanters, necromancers) also have a vast array of options (though there will be competition), and classes that can quad-kite or otherwise take down a lot of monsters in a short amount of time (druids, wizards, magicians, necromancers) may find seafury island worthwhile, although I've never bothered with it because of the amount of competition there.

All of your plat options have the added dimension of having varying levels of competition and intensity; there are low-competition, low-intensity camps where you can be AFK for most of the time but may not make a ton of money, and there are high-competition, high-intensity camps where you have to be there to kill the various useful monsters and a lot of other people will want the camp as well, so you might have a hard time finding it open. This is another factor to consider, then. To what extent are you comfortable or able to compete for camps? How much free time in a row do you have to wait for a camp to open or to hold down a lot of monsters at once? That kind of thing.

It also depends on what you're aiming for. If you just want 10k or so to outfit an alt with some basic stuff, then it doesn't really matter that much if you make that 10k doing something inefficient (giants, porting). But if you're aiming for something big like a fungi tunic or the Torpor spell for shamans, then the difference between making 500pp an hour and making 2k an hour is a vast amount of time saved farming that plat.

webrunner5
12-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Weight does not make a crap on a Monk till level 45ish. Loot your ass off. Makes no real difference.

I am not saying weigh 200 but up till like 90 makes no difference.

radditsu
12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Weight does not make a crap on a Monk till level 45ish. Loot your ass off. Makes no real difference.

I am not saying weigh 200 but up till like 90 makes no difference.

Good to know, i have been hesitant to roll a monk in the past because I am a complete corpse whore. My bags are always filled with random crap.

Droog007
12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
mmmmm... corpse whores... /drool