PDA

View Full Version : It's not classic! Wait, it's not?

Laok
12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
People keep saying that playing nice isn't classic. Huh?

I seem to remember a rotation that the raid mobs were put on that every guild followed. There was a web site that tracked whose turn it was on a mob. When that mob spawned, whoever was up had a fixed amount of time to engage it or the next guild in line got it. I want to say it was 24 hours. If I remember right, it was also player instituted and enforced (to a degree).

Why can't something like this happen on P99?

End the piles of shit filled socks!

Take turns!

Epics for everyone!

Thulack
12-25-2013, 10:53 AM
You must have played on Brell :)

And it doest happen because a rotation only has a 90% apporval rating from the raiding guilds. Can't have a rotation unless everyone agrees to it like we have for the Sky Schedule.

Laok
12-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Tribunal. There's an easy way to get the approval. The devs force and ENforce it. You want an equal playing field? The guilds that can hit those targets but don't have the membership to poopsock need to speak up. Small guilds need to ally with each other and be heard. Rotate and share.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
You must have played on Brell :)

And it doest happen because a rotation only has a 90% apporval rating from the raiding guilds. Can't have a rotation unless everyone agrees to it like we have for the Sky Schedule.

Except GMs can and do get involved when it's an issue. Prior to this, GMs refused to be involved in administering a rotation. Now, we'll just have to see. CSR involvement was the reason for not having a rotation prior to this...but with CSR involvement being so high with the current schedule, perhaps a rotation is in order. It can be administered by the server at large with most raid guilds being in agreement. All that is really needed is for GMs to be the hammer when things don't go according to the server's established rotation.

Laok
12-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Except GMs can and do get involved when it's an issue. Prior to this, GMs refused to be involved in administering a rotation. Now, we'll just have to see. CSR involvement was the reason for not having a rotation prior to this...but with CSR involvement being so high with the current schedule, perhaps a rotation is in order. It can be administered by the server at large with most raid guilds being in agreement. All that is really needed is for GMs to be the hammer when things don't go according to the server's established rotation.

This would go a long way towards levelling the playing field. "Forcing" people to be nice to each other might cause them to actually be nice to each other. When the bickering and poopsocking isn't an issue because it's against the rules (and enforced) there won't be any more issues, well as far as the raid scene is concerned anyway lol.

Lisset
12-25-2013, 07:18 PM
On Stormhammer, we not only had a rotation, it was on the official EQ website. But then we were "special"

kotton05
12-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Explain more to how you got that^

Lisset
12-25-2013, 07:38 PM
We were the Legends server. We paid a buttload extra a month.

kotton05
12-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Ahh I see, morale of the story everyone donate hehe

Tikker
12-26-2013, 12:56 AM
on nameless there was a rotation for the planes

dragons were free for all. never really got much competition in VP because kunark didn't get so overused and worn out

that happened in velious jeje

W8Gamer
12-26-2013, 02:12 AM
On E`ci I remember we had a rotation for the planes, but also remember that the rotations didn't really start until after Kunark. Rotations didn't really start until the top guild was done farming whichever zone or mob. I think people are just forgetting the time frame. They just remember the "classic" era and that there were rotations. I'm pretty sure most rotations didn't start until after Velious was released and the top guilds had a lot more targets to go after.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-26-2013, 02:38 AM
First of all, Township Rebellion = trust fund eq titty babies

Now, as to classic an play nice.

The logistics of raiding were simply harder back then. How many people had cell phones back in 2000? And how many would think it even at all rational to be "on call" for Everquest? The world was diff back then. This total, Mussolini-style lockdown that is second nature to us here in 2013 was simply not fully born yet back then.

In that context, a certain slack was baked into the system, as it were. Sure, there were guilds like FoH and Triton and so forth. But the "science" of lockdown, as it were, was just being discovered.

We were ruthless, but not 24/7 ruthless. Even the most dominant guild would skip a spawn cycle because "man, too many people got finals this week," and other such things. Things were......... mellower.

I remember getting drunk phone calls from my guild leader at 4am saying "Get the fuck online Sadre, now!" but not all the time, just when the "fever" took over.

In that context, people cut deals, negotiated, because the idea of 100%, Josef Stalin type lockdown just wasn't really the norm yet.

Today -- and for several years now -- it is child's play to set up a lockdown system. And you can easily get a raid force to sign off on it.

Maybe the word I am looking for is sloppy. Things were sloppier. This whole online world thing was just a-bornin'. Today, the system is jammed with people who grew up thinking the Angry German Kid is how you approach life, if you wanna be a boss. That was reserved for Furor, in classic.

I know this is long, sorry.

I am *totally* against set rotations. Might as well have instances. But guilds need to let some slack in. How to do that is the issue.

I have already stated a few times my proposal. Regular readers know what it is. Always give the competition a 20 minute window for a free unhindered shot. If they get the kill, they are the ones who have to give the 20 minute window next spawn.

This preserves the competition, and preserves the fact you have to fucking want it. 20 minutes. You can't muster and engage and kill dedededed in that window? Take. And mercilessly taunt the losers for not being able to execute.

That is how my guilds handled it in eq1 and early eq2. It kept it real, it kept the peace, and it eliminated assholism. A clean 20 minutes.

If a guild can't mobilize to get a spawn in a 20 minute window, they don't deserve the kill. Period. Casuals can go farm Sky.

tl;dr bite me.

heazels
12-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Don't need a rotation to play nice. Just give other guilds a chance, ive you got the last kill on a mob, let someone else try to get it this week. It would make the server more playable to the general community. Also I still think a 2nd blue server that starts from beginning of classic should still be an option, teams pvp would be nice too.

heazels
12-26-2013, 05:32 AM
First of all, Township Rebellion = trust fund eq titty babies

Now, as to classic an play nice.

The logistics of raiding were simply harder back then. How many people had cell phones back in 2000? And how many would think it even at all rational to be "on call" for Everquest? The world was diff back then. This total, Mussolini-style lockdown that is second nature to us here in 2013 was simply not fully born yet back then..

People also didnt have pixel scrapers that will send auto text messages to everyone in a guild the moment a mob pops.

Laok
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
I have already stated a few times my proposal. Regular readers know what it is. Always give the competition a 20 minute window for a free unhindered shot. If they get the kill, they are the ones who have to give the 20 minute window next spawn.

This preserves the competition, and preserves the fact you have to fucking want it. 20 minutes. You can't muster and engage and kill dedededed in that window? Take. And mercilessly taunt the losers for not being able to execute.

Who is the one "giving" the competition a 20 minute window? The poopsockers? So we have to rely on the benevolence of the guilds that, as you put it, have a "total, Mussolini-style lockdown". Mussolini wasn't a very benevolent dude... Just sayin'

On Tribunal, when it was NGoH's turn at Gore, we rounded up about 60 people, ran to DL and got ROFLstomped. We regrouped and gave that bitch what for. That was my first raid in EQ. Nobody interfered. If they had, they probably would have started a nasty war with all the other raiding guilds on Tribunal at the time. Truth is, I don't know what the consequences would have been because everyone abided by the rotation.

heazels
12-26-2013, 04:23 PM
on nameless there was a rotation for the planes

dragons were free for all. never really got much competition in VP because kunark didn't get so overused and worn out

that happened in velious jeje

There was a rotation on every server for sky bc sky would be nearly impossible without one. Imagine if someone just poop socked gorgolosk every 8 hrs, no one would get past island 3. But even on nameless pre-velious we had pick up trak raids bc it was not a priority for the uber guild, and they did not have 450 alts to gear. Honestly there just werent that many people that were lvl 60 during this period on the server.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Who is the one "giving" the competition a 20 minute window? The poopsockers? So we have to rely on the benevolence of the guilds that, as you put it, have a "total, Mussolini-style lockdown". Mussolini wasn't a very benevolent dude... Just sayin'

Nah man, yer missing the important ingredient. Whoever got the last kill of that mob has to give a window of getting a clean shot.

And these poopsockers are not as all-powerful as we think. Here is how it would work out: even a mid-level guild could say to itself, we want to try for mob X. They could focus, and track that one mob. And when it spawns, they would get that clean chance.

Under my suggestion, any guild can gain a shot. They just have to actually want it. They have to be able to muster and gain the shot.

And wouldn't it be funny if a mid-level guild could them gather a few people at the next spawn and taunt the big guild, saying "you have 20 minutes, good luck."

I think it would lighten the tone a bit. But it would retain the competitiveness.

You have to be able to muster. I kind of view that as a sine qua non.

hynch
12-27-2013, 06:07 AM
One guild didn't lock down all the spawns during classic EQ because they didn't have 20 throw away accounts logged out fully buffed at every raid encounter. Raids had to mobilize and form for every raid spawn rather than just logging on to the Trakanon alt team. The top guilds usually got there first, but that was because they wanted it more. It's near impossible to compete with someone if you have to mobilize and they just have to log on another account. I don't think classic iterations of Triton, FoH, etc would be able to compete with TMO's alt crew on this server.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-27-2013, 02:14 PM
One guild didn't lock down all the spawns during classic EQ because they didn't have 20 throw away accounts logged out fully buffed at every raid encounter. Raids had to mobilize and form for every raid spawn rather than just logging on to the Trakanon alt team. The top guilds usually got there first, but that was because they wanted it more. It's near impossible to compete with someone if you have to mobilize and they just have to log on another account. I don't think classic iterations of Triton, FoH, etc would be able to compete with TMO's alt crew on this server.

It's also important to remember that on the classic timeline we'd be coming up to the release of LoY soon. We're a bit off track on the classic schedule :P