PDA

View Full Version : Bard epic instrument modifier question

zanderklocke
12-25-2013, 02:41 AM
So, I don't have my bard epic, but I'm trying to find out more about how the instrument modifier works.

I've heard from quite a few bards that the 1.8 instrument modifier that can be applied to "Singing" based songs only works when you equip the epic on the main hand.

However, looking at the wiki seems to confuse me because the wiki indicates that it only gives the instrument modifier when equipped in the offhand.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Singing_Short_Sword

The wiki does indicate that later the sword is patched to allow for the 1.8 modifier to be applied regardless of which hand it is equipped in.

So my questions are, will this server eventually be patched to allow for the instrument modifier to be used in either hand, and is it incorrect the instrument modifier only works in the primary hand, as I believe is the current scenario as bards with epics have indicated?

sanforce
12-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Bard epic overrated. Got mine, could easily raid without.

fastboy21
12-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes and no...

While you are right that you can do everything without your epic, the bard epic provides the coveted singing mod. This mod makes your songs marginally better than any non epic bard. Even in post classic eq, the bard 1.0 epic remained needed all the way through plane of time...making it one of the longer lasting epics (not longest, but longer than most).

The other benefit is the ability to melee AND get instrument mods on all spells without having to swap. Again, marginal in most raid situations because the bards primary role on classic raids are pulling, resists, mana, and grouping with main tank for ac/ds; not melee damage.

All in all I would call it a useful but not "needed" epic. For a raid bard it would prob be better to have all the best instruments than your epic. Song mod has no replacement though.

MaksimMazor
12-25-2013, 03:23 PM
That bard epic effect is super sweet

Snackies
12-25-2013, 03:32 PM
The bard epic does not provide any instrument modifiers when equipped in your secondary slot.

I'm not sure if that eventually changes in the p99 timeline.

-Catherin-
12-25-2013, 03:46 PM
the modifier is mainhand only. I don't think it got changed until luclin.

Epic allows you to increase the modifier of psalm of mystic shielding (singing only group mr.) so an epic bard can push the group MR considerably higher than a non epic bard. one benefit of the epic among others.

im also seeing discussion on the ZAM boards that seem to point at the modifier of the epic actually stacking with the modifier of our level 60 puretone disc that bards get in velious. which would be pretty... epic?

zanderklocke
12-25-2013, 07:55 PM
The bard epic does not provide any instrument modifiers when equipped in your secondary slot.

I'm not sure if that eventually changes in the p99 timeline.

If this is the case, there would be no reason to ever keep a Breath of Harmony for click effect after obtaining epic, sans you are crazy and swap it in and click it after twisting.

Xadion
12-25-2013, 10:18 PM
yes in our current timeline it has effect in main hand only. BoH is discarded because of this as its click is nice to have when epic works in offhand but is not worth the time swapping for the click...but you can, its not like as a bard you are doing anything else!

bard epic is a necessity forever in our timeline, as yes: it mods voice/singing songs...something no instrument can do.

epic + lyrans mystical lute in offhand is the BIS for bards currently or if not doing string the PharaDar katana in offhand

Skywarp
12-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Bard epic gets no true replacement until the 1.5 in omens of war. There are only a few scenarios where you could drop it for another weapon. 1 being that you have voice of the serpent from SSRA. velioUS was not notable or kind to bards in some points of view with exception to getting tunares bard blade in PoG. The only true upgrade to the bard epic before omens is the songblade of the eternal in the plane of time or rapier of somber notes in tacvi. Both which will never be on p99 unless Rog and crew grant us a miracle.

Daldaen
12-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Bard epic gets no true replacement until the 1.5 in omens of war. There are only a few scenarios where you could drop it for another weapon. 1 being that you have voice of the serpent from SSRA. velioUS was not notable or kind to bards in some points of view with exception to getting tunares bard blade in PoG. The only true upgrade to the bard epic before omens is the songblade of the eternal in the plane of time or rapier of somber notes in tacvi. Both which will never be on p99 unless Rog and crew grant us a miracle.

Not really true. Bard epic was replaced in PoTime with proper gearing. Voice of the Serpent stacked with Epic. The singing mod cap is 3.4, so with 1.0 base, 0.8 epic, and 0.6 VotS, you could get up to 2.4. Adding in Singing Mastery3 AAs you get 0.9, so 3.3. The Shei cloak got you up to the 3.4 cap. But without Epic, you couldn't hit that max other than Puretone.

fastboy21
12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
aye, the innoruk dagger in potime had a singing mod on it and better stats than epic...so epic can be replaced at end game of pop...but, it was a rare drop that every bard wanted.

oh, and we won't ever get to potime on this server